[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All things supressor related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: shootgunsilense.jpg (242KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shootgunsilense.jpg
242KB, 1920x1080px
I don't really understand suppressors/silencers. Assuming a closed action, which of these factors affect the lowest decibel:

-FPS from 1000-500
-Volume of suppressor
-Integral vs detachable
-Bore diameter of suppressor

I ask because I've seen only the weakest rounds be truly quiet. Surely an 800gr .500 subsonic should be just as quiet as a 60gr .22 at the same velocity?

Does bolt action vs bolt action make any difference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO3S0yw_O6M&channel=UCcGKmRMXGHjB6cPrwQZtmdg

Also why are shotguns so hard to suppress? Its a solid mass until it leaves the muzzle.
>>
>>34090747
larger diameters leave a bigger hole for gas to leak out through after the bullet passes
>>
>>34090747
thanks for reminding me that this fucker exists along with his shitty fake russian accent
>>
File: IMG_2419.jpg (50KB, 498x295px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2419.jpg
50KB, 498x295px
Kiwifag here, the suppressor on my .270 does take away some of the initial boom, and does help with recoil. It's a noticeable difference but far from quite. Where it really shines is in the bottom of valleys, the sound doesn't seem to bounce around as much for some reason.

Also suppressed .22s are the shit.
>>
File: 1491015388786.jpg (3MB, 4984x2957px) Image search: [Google]
1491015388786.jpg
3MB, 4984x2957px
>>34090770
for military purposes they say it's harder to determine even the general direction of the shot with a suppressor.
>>
>>34090859
Yea, I don't know the science behind it but if you listen to the echo sometimes it sounds like the shot is 100m in front of you, also noticed tahr and deer sometimes get a bit confused, but they are simple creatures.
>>
File: bearannoyed(1).png (460KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
bearannoyed(1).png
460KB, 512x384px
This is not a real intergral (needs 2" barrel with holes in the rest) but why is it so loud? Why not 80ogr bullets?
>>
File: bearpalm.png (271KB, 454x344px) Image search: [Google]
bearpalm.png
271KB, 454x344px
>>34090931
oops forgot link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwbGFd16QuY&channel=UC_jOtzpbf5-RLcfBsgrcO3A
>>
>>34090747
Not quite sure what you're asking OP, but I'll do my best to answer
(1/2)
>FPS from 1000-500
Anything over the speed of sound (~760mph or ~1100fps) will cause a supersonic crack as it exits the bore, whether that's the barrel or suppressor. Suppressors reduce the blast from the muzzle by slowing down escaping gasses, but an object traveling faster than sound will still create a very audible crack
>Volume of suppressor
Assuming you mean by how many decibels the report is reduced, that all depends on the internal design of the suppressor. More baffles, larger chambers, and odd angles that deflect gasses all help to reduce the velocity of the escaping gas
>Integral vs detachable
Integral suppressors generally reduce the decibel level of the report by virtue of inherently being part of the firearm. Gasses are allowed to expand, deflect, and slow down immediately after the bullet enters the barrel, rather than when the bullet exits the barrel. Integrally suppressed guns like the De Lisle carbine are quiet because they were designed around the suppressed barrel and subsonic ammo, so they're perceived as more effective. A suppressor attached to the end of a normal barrel still has to absorb the impact of the gasses traveling at regular (relative to the bore diameter) velocities, so attached suppressors aren't as inherently effective as integrally suppressed guns
>Bore diameter of suppressor
In general the bore or aperture of a suppressor should be slightly larger than the diameter of the bullet that's going to pass through. Baffle strikes are unacceptable, but larger diameters than necessary means that gasses escape faster and therefore create a louder report. Typically manufacturers will start with a slightly larger bore size and then reduce it until baffle strikes occur, then marginally increase the diameter again. The internal design of the suppressor is more important to noise reduction while bore diameter is somewhat fixed
>>
>>34090747
>Surely a 800 gr .500 subsonic should be just as quiet as a 60gr .22 at the same velocity?

No it wouldn't because you need a bigger powder charge to accelerate the larger projectile to the same velocity.
>>
>>34090959
(2/2)
>Does bolt action vs semi-auto make a difference?
Yes. Semiautomatic guns use some of the gasses to cycle the bolt, so there's less gas escaping the barrel overall. Bolt actions send all the gas down the barrel, which will result in higher pressures in the suppressor. If the larger volume of gas can be accommodated, in theory a bolt action should be just as quiet as a semiauto firing the same round
>Also why are shotguns so hard to suppress?
Shot (as in pellets) will stay massed for a very short distance after leaving the barrel. The bore diameter has to be much larger to accommodate the cluster, but at the same time the suppressor can't be too long or the shot will hit the baffles. That's why shotguns suppressors are typically box shaped as opposed to cylindrical; they need to have larger spaces for the gas to expand due to the larger bore diameter

>t. used to make suppressors
>>
Bought a suppressor for my 9mm recently
I know 9mmm are notoriously for a bad caliber to suppress but i had money to waste so

it did take away the edge of the noise but still loud, id expect you could get proper suppers ion with lower loads or ammo designated for suppressors
>>
>>34090889

Effectively, most of the noise from a suppressed gunshot is from the supersonic shockwave of the bullet. It will eminate from the bullet and reflect off of all kinds of things. That and the lack of muzzle blast can conceal the shot location from game and whatever else.
>>
>>34091047

147 grain is usually subsonic unless it's some hot or +p defense loading.

Speer Lawman 147 is great for range use.
>>
>>34091047
147gr 9mm's are some of the best rounds out there to suppress.
>>
>>34090959
>volume of the suppressor
He means the literal volume of the can. Area multiplied by height.
>>
File: fuddyfiveBTFO.webm (1005KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
fuddyfiveBTFO.webm
1005KB, 1280x720px
>>34090747
>VP9
mein neger
>>
>>34091935
all things being equal, larger volume will equate to better sound reduction.
The trade off is size and weight.
>>
>>34091047
9mm has many subsonic loadings available. American eagle has some 124 grain loads, basically everything heavier than 147gr (158,165, etc) that isn't +p is subsonic and works well. It can be 5 or so dB quieter than 45 for sure, because of bore diameter and powder charge and what not.
>>
I desperately want a 357 mag levergun (it will be loaded with 38 special) with a silencer and NV scope for spooping around in the woods at night.
>>
>>34090747
lol
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.