[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can CIWS be used to shoot down seagulls and other vermin birds?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: ciws.jpg (106KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ciws.jpg
106KB, 1280x720px
Can CIWS be used to shoot down seagulls and other vermin birds?
>>
does organic matter give off a radar siginture?
>>
>>34083177
Jiffy pop sure does.
>>
>>34083185
pop corn UFOs.
anywho, i think we are going to give a bored sailor bad ideas.
>>
>>34082970
>Can they?

Yes

>Is it worth it?

Debatable.
>>
>>34083355
i NEED to see a green text about this, pop corn just is not enough
>>
>>34083177
attach FLIR and gib ~10 million USD to definitely figure out the heat signature of common birds. Then watch it shoot sailors
>>
>>34082970
the radar on that thing can kill birds nignog
>>
>>34083395
>Microwaving birds
>Microwaveable popcorn UFOs
Radar is AWESOME!
>>
>>34082970
Cant it be reffited to shoot birdshot and be remote controlled?
>>
>>34083512
Who needs birdshot when you have 20mm HE shells?
>>
>>34083185
>>34083337

That was the metal plate the popcorn was in.
>>
>>34083528
They're not HE, dumbass. Naval CIWS is tungsten darts.
>>34082970
A Phalanx could track birds but it'd a really terrible idea for many, many reasons. There's guidelines for what it considers targets. Generally it's above/below a certain size, above a certain speed, and if it has a heading towards the vessel or system. You could theoretically adjust those to target birds, but I sure as hell wouldn't let it auto engage. That's asking for it to mow down anything that moves on your ship.
>>
>>34083395
sweet so let's just HERF the birds, saves ammo
>>
>>34085108
> That's asking for it to mow down anything that moves on your ship.
You say this like it is a bad thing. IMO the US Navy should kill everything within a 20 mile radius of their fleets.
>>
>>34083177
Not really, but if you jack the power up enough you can microwave it at range
>>
>>34086431
Hilarious for Robocop reenactments!
>>
>>34083389
ciws has a FLIR
>>
>>34085108
Well shit, we would need to equip it with airburst rounds instead of tungsten penistraitors
>>
>>34086431
This includes your own sailors, your RaDARs, and any pennants of flags.
>>34086815
Well at like 75 rounds a second, I think you'd be fine.
>>
>>34085108
>That's asking for it to mow down anything that moves on your ship.
wait nigga the system is so dumb you can't set a minimum distance for tracking from the ship?
>>
>>34088011
You gotta remember it's a Close In Weapon System. I's designed to shoot shit heading towards it at like mach 4. A harpoon at mach 1, will cover horizon to ship in 60 seconds. It obviously has limit where it will stop engaging before it hits the ship.
>>
>>34083389
it already kill sailors - multiple friendly casualties including a bridge officer on the bridge of a friendly ship.
>>
>>34082970
Yes but CIWS has software filters specific for the type of environment and threats. It's looking for specific anti-ship threats like missiles and aircraft, filters out the rest.

CRAM on the other hand, absolutely could under certain situations once you give the order on the FAAD
>>
>>34089843
>It obviously has limit where it will stop engaging before it hits the ship.
then it will not shoot the crew either.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.