[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guns for beginners

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: gatt.jpg (83KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
gatt.jpg
83KB, 1024x768px
Evening /k/ I've stumbled across this board many times but never really saw much of an interest in guns.
However lately I've been thinking it would be a fun hobby to get into, collecting, keeping them well maintained, etc. Not to mention great to have self-defense. Even before becoming an internet dwelling creep I was always big on stand your ground & castle doctrine laws.

My question is what would be a good handgun for newbies like myself? Tips would also be appreciated.
>>
How old are you? Do you like them loud? How much do you want to invest starting out? How often do you think you might want to shoot? Do you have access to a lot of land or an outdoor range? Do you have access to an indoor range? Do you want a gun for plinking or home defense? What country/state do you live in?
>>
Any of the major brands (Glock, Smith and Wesson, Springfield, Beretta) will be reliable.

I'd start with a full size handgun as your first.

If it were my brother buying his first, I'd have him find a Beretta 92FS. It's heavy enough to have almost no recoil, cheapish to buy if you find one used, and reliable as hell. It's not the best or most modern full-size out there, but it's got good aftermarket and holster choice.
>>
>>34081663
Glock 17.

Once you can basic DCOA it with no instruction you can pick up an Ar15 or Ruger 10/22, iron sights only for your first year though.
>>
>>34081712
>Glock 17
Step 1) Stick Glock on end of drill
Step 2) Stick Glock up your ass
Step 3) Do what any /b/tard would do at this point
>>
File: Pinkhatqt (1).jpg (77KB, 643x487px) Image search: [Google]
Pinkhatqt (1).jpg
77KB, 643x487px
>>34081684
Early 20's.
No.
As much as a reliable & standard handgun cost.
I have access to a range.
Either.
Ny.
>>
>>34081734
>Ny
move
>>
>>34081734
>Ny
not worth it
>>
>>34081712
>>34081663
If he's black, sure, glock anything is highly approved. Otherwise, he needs a more aesthetic gun. In 9mm unless you're hunting, then JHP

For rifles, you'll want to build your own AK as a starter. PSA has parts with special furniture and exclusive triggers for builds up to $600. AR builds are great, but if you want one that lasts, the price will triple for what you spent on building an AK, so start with AKs. Don't worry about 5.45, go with the basics and start with 7.62. 5.56 with the AR if you can afford one, and don't worry about specialty calibers until you have a basic collection
>>
>>34081747
>>34081775
This.
>POC Nazi Somalia
> your life, liberty, and pursuit of property
Pick one OP. If you choose the former, get out of /k/
>>
>>34081684
Not op but I'm also looking to get a gun soon. I'm 23 but my parents have pushed for me not to buy a gun as I've been on antidepressants since I was ~14 but i just recently got off of them. I go to the local indoor range every now and again with either my dad or my friends who have a few handguns and rifles. I've been around guns all my life but I never really got into them so I don't know Jack shit besides handling them and I'm a decent shot. I'm in Louisiana so I have access to places to shoot innawoods too. I'm looking for a solid handgun and to get my concealed some time this summer. I'm looking for something big enough to where I can get a solid grip (my friend's handgun he conceal carries doesn't haven enough room for your pinky to grip so it's awkward to shoot for me). I'm looking for something moderately priced but I'm willing to be flexible
>>
>>34081779
>>34081721
My sides, what a bunch of autistic babbies mad that they cant afford a $550 plastic gun. Yeah man totally tell someone to get a fucking AR15 when they say they are trying to "get into guns" LMAO how stupid are you? You must be an actual hamplanet who thinks he's an actual OPERATOR because he browses /k/. Embarrassing, really. "Aesthetic" pffft man you guys are so cucked, buying a gun based solely on its looks and not functionality. Oh, wait, you recommended a fucking Ar15 memetoy to someone for their first gun, no shit you're retarded.
>>
>>34081779
>requests handgun
>nah man get some REAL FUCKIN NATO
lol
>>
>>34082038
>no shit you're retarded
You are actually the retarded one.
You've added so much to the other anon posts.
You had a pretend debate, then posted the results!
LOL
Get help
Seriously, get help
>>
>>34081663
Are you going to get a license to conceal carry, or do you just want a gun for home defense/range?
>>
>>34082062
OP said he was in NY
Don't need to rub it in
>>
>>34081663
Is that glockamole?

:D:D:D:DD:DDDD
>>
>>34081663
Pistol
If you were under 21 I would say pistol carabine.

Even if you get uninterested you will have an effective handgun thats cheap to feed if SHTF or someone breaks in
>>
>>34082062
Home defense I don't need to carry it with me at all times. My fist can handle most physical engagements.
>>
>>34082118
Pick the longest barrel in the caliber and make of your choice. It will give you a heavier pistol with a longer sight radius. 9mm will be the cheapest self defense caliber to maintain competency, but .40 and .45 have more powder behind a heavier bullet, for what that's worth.

My personal recommendation is a double action only pistol, but that's up to the shooter, and you can rent pistols to decide what type of action you want to choose.
>>
>>34082048
I don't think you realize what 7.62 means.
Lurk more
>>
>>34081687

This. Full sized pistols are really fun.

I started with a Glock 17 Gen4 and I love it. Trigger is a little heavy after dealing with other brands via rental guns but I can get used to it. I'll probably snag a 92FS derivative from Beretta for faster shooting once I git gud at the G17.
>>
File: 20170109_195634.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170109_195634.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>34081779
First gun.

>build your own AK.

This is what happens. Retards like you start posting, and it makes this whole board look bad
>>
>>34081684
Penis size?
girth?
butthole width?
>>
>>34081663
>My question is what would be a good handgun for newbies like myself?

A Smith & Wesson Model 10 revolver.

Alternatively, get a Ruger GP100. You can shoot .38 Special AND .357 Magnum.
>>
File: 1467707344893.png (248KB, 722x421px) Image search: [Google]
1467707344893.png
248KB, 722x421px
>>34081663
I honestly almost never recommend a handgun for someone that's new to shooting, as they're difficult to learn and can get frustrating, that and without the basics you'll develop bad habits.

Personally, I'd say -maybe- some kind of pistol caliber carbine, like a Beretta CX4 or something.

Or of course the "HURR GET .22" and buy a Ruger 10/22.

Just me though, I'm probably a retard.
>>
My first gun was a sig p226. Its great but I'd recommend a CZ75B (good grips, little kick, cheap cost) 9mm's are great start out guns, i'd refrain from getting a .357 just yet but it would be a good 2nd handgun.
>>
File: cz-75-bd.png (327KB, 807x538px) Image search: [Google]
cz-75-bd.png
327KB, 807x538px
>>34081663
pic related for first. Range and home defense, good aesthetics, reliable, cheapish. or the SP-01
>>
>>34081779
>first gun
>build an AK
Are fucking serious?
That's intermediate to advanced level shit homie.
>>
>Glockamole
>>
>>34081687
Is Mossberg a shitty brand in your opinion? I've heard yes and no both from a lot of different people.
>>
>>34081663
>My question is what would be a good handgun for newbies like myself? Tips would also be appreciated.

CZ75 SP01 Shadow is a fullsized cost effective pistol which is very newb friendly, but also allows you to start doing IPSC for fun if you felt like it without being disadvantaged.

Glocks are fine duty and carry guns, but I honestly would not recommend them for recreational & sporting purposes as a first gun. Yes, an experienced shooter will put you to shame with a Glock, but for a novice that's actually looking to shoot accurately, it's not really a good choice.

But you should probably just visit a range and try out various pistols and calibers to find out what you like. There's a lot of great pistols out there.

Does NY state have mag cap restrictions btw? I'm not up to speed on their laws.

>>34088190
>Is Mossberg a shitty brand in your opinion? I've heard yes and no both from a lot of different people.

Mossberg tends to be OK for the price when it comes to their shotguns. They tend to work well (with some minor exceptions) but their finish is not the best.
For their bolt action rifles... Meh, you can get better for the same price if what you're looking for is accuracy.
For their plinkers in .22LR, whatever floats your boat.
>>
File: 1395597854126.jpg (759KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1395597854126.jpg
759KB, 1920x1200px
Should probably look at a .22LR (not for self-def, ofc) to learn to shoot properly (and cheaply).

Suggested:
Browning Buckmark
Ruger MkIV (or earlier variants)
CZ75 Kadet
Beretta 87 Target
Hammerli X-Esse / Sig Trailside
S&W Mod 41

Stay the hell away from:
Walther P22
Sig Sauer Mosquito
ISSC
>>
>>34081687
Get a 92S.

$250 from J&G. So fucking cheap that if it breaks, who cares?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.