[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the worst military idea ever and why is it the magazine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

File: SMLEAction.jpg (545KB, 1200x635px) Image search: [Google]
SMLEAction.jpg
545KB, 1200x635px
What is the worst military idea ever and why is it the magazine cut off?
>>
It's not, the worst was invading Russia.
>>
>its a terrible idea to make it easy to load a blank for rifle grenades
>>
File: 1434051292710.jpg (30KB, 698x389px) Image search: [Google]
1434051292710.jpg
30KB, 698x389px
>>34080028
>They actually wanted cut off plate in their semi auto handguns
>>
>>34080037
>he thinks its wasn't doctrine
>he thinks it was because of rife grenades
>the doesnt know that bongs loved single loading cartridges for because it gave officers bigger control over the troops.
>>
>>34080028
Honestly can't think of a worse one. My MKIII has a mag cutoff and I exclusively use it for people I'm teaching to shoot. Other than that, it's fucking worthless.
>>
>>34080028
Magazine disconnect is worse than the magazine cutoff
>>
File: 43475a297.jpg (154KB, 1600x1098px) Image search: [Google]
43475a297.jpg
154KB, 1600x1098px
>>34080044
Fucking bongs actually went and did it, the bloody madmen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KikxKhQD9ok&t
>>
>>34080088
It could be useful for executing deserters.
>>
>>34080182
Well, that explains why the bongs kept the Webley revolver during WWII...
>>
>>34080028
I can understand the philosophy but why not just teach your guys to fire, open the bolt, top off the magazine with another round, then lock and fire? It would basically take the same amount of time and accomplish the same thing without needing a fucking magazine cutoff.
>>
>>34080028
I'm going to go with chaining the removable magazine to the rifle instead of issuing extra mags and training your men to drop the empty and reload. Jesus Christ, Britain. Just why?
>>
>>34080087

what as in removable magazines?
>>
>>34080028
It made sense in an era before charger clips. If some dumb ass private dumps his magazine, and then had to sit there and reload for 30 seconds while a gorillian Zulus are charging you, you're in deep shit.

>>34080231
The same reason no one else issued more than one removal magazine: magazines are expensive, and no one wanted to pay to issue every soldier with a bunch of mags. Virtually no one issued magazines in a modern way until the introduction of the assult rifle, and magazine size/cost made it worth it.
>>
File: Hurr.jpg (46KB, 626x582px) Image search: [Google]
Hurr.jpg
46KB, 626x582px
>>34080028
>worst military idea ever

Those of us who have been in the military will have a hard time picking just one.
>>
>>34080197
It was intended for the opposite effect. Fire "single" shots at lines of the enemy, theoretically under the strict control of an officer. Then in case of a cav charge or general unexpected trouble open the disconnect and unload quickly. Kind of makes sense when you were thinking in terms of fighting the Zulu or doing peacekeeping ops in your colonies,not for all and out war though.
>>
>>34080243
The thing that stops a gun from firing without a magazine
The Hi Point and Hi Power have them, among . I recommend immediate removal
>>
>>34080028
>What is the worst military idea ever
females in Military
>>
>>34080037
Rifle grenades didn't come about until the cut off was dropped from almost every nation on the planet.
>>
File: 1493162623557.jpg (74KB, 516x440px) Image search: [Google]
1493162623557.jpg
74KB, 516x440px
>>34080434
/thread
>>
>>34080434
Female combat roles in the military is my pet peeve. Females want to do nursing, office jobs, sure why not?

Everything else, fuck off.
>>
>>34080274
The brits defeated the zulus quite handily with a single shooter rifle, after all.
>>
>>34080444
Underrated post & bomb ass trips
>>
>>34080191
It explains why the French thought the 8mm cartridge they used for their 1892 revolver was a good idea.
>120 grain bullet at 740 fps

Which is frustrating because the design was great and could have handled a much more powerful round with ease.
>>
>>34082174
Ammo manufacturing as inconsistent as it was.
Better safe than sorry,but maybe they played it too safe.
>>
>>34080028
This was actually an incredibly wise decision. It's probably the direct reason why we don't still settle our wars taking pot shots at each other with bolt actions

>>34080087
This senpai knows what's up

>>34080197
Because you'd have to actually force the round into the magazine to keep the second shot from trying to double feed. The cut off was invented for guys whose previous six family generations never left their own farm. Rather than teach actual idiots to remember to load the next round directly into the magazine whilst making sure the next round hasn't bumped slightly into the breach or that its rim hasn't overlapped the third round down or anything. With the cut off you quite literally toss the round in and go
>>
>>34082214
It should have been chambered in something equivalent to .38 special- it really is a fantastic design, and strongly built. Ammo inconsistency is something to watch for, but I think it could have managed.
>>
>>34080028
women
>>
File: B.A.R..jpg (235KB, 900x601px) Image search: [Google]
B.A.R..jpg
235KB, 900x601px
Walking Fire. Fortunately the war ended before anyone tried it on a large scale.
>>
>>34082150
Some bomb ass trips, anon?
>>
>>34080182
*or horses*
>>
>>34080028
i like it because i can switch off my 1903 follower and BANG WORK THE BOLT around the house.

cant do that with k98
>>
>>34082685
I think Walking Fire would have had its place in WW1 on the Western From as a way to suppress enemies and keep them hunkered down as you approached their trench.
If anything my answer for "worst military idea" would be trench warfare. Something static and where it boils down to who can lose the most men and still have enough to make one more push than the other side can.
>>
>>34080277
>We're going to put a MK19 in the turret, but not issue you ammo because it's too destructive. Just stand behind it and pretend you have ammo.

t. Iraq 2010
>>
>>34082761
Not that guy but to be honest in WW1 nobody had a fucking clue how to wage a modern war and nobody was willing to play dice when artillery starts raining.
So why not sit in a trench and wait for your turn to die.
Plus the field commanders always seems that they were way out of the loop on whats actually happening all over trench line and issued particularly stupid orders that made people die,well guess what those who survived will just deny that order next time and just sit in their hole in the trench.
>>
>>34082761
No, that's where you use fire and maneuver. Walking fire is standing up and shooting at a guy with a machine gun emplacement. It's retarded as shit, just like the rest of ww1
>>
>>34082761
To be fair trenches were really the only way to stay alive between the massive artillery guns and new fangled machine guns being in an above ground fortification or open field was a death sentence. The issue wasn't trenches it was the human wave attacks, and lack if a willingness to sue for peace that was the problem.
>>
>>34082810
When you are strong, pretend you are weak.
When you are weak, pretend you are strong.
>>
>>34082734
This is some bomb-ass tea, anon
>>
>>34080052
>the doesnt know that bongs loved single loading cartridges for because it gave officers bigger control over the troops.
when resupply is an issue, the amount of ammunition you carry with you is a huge deal.
>>
>>34080274
Everything's expensive until it's mass produced. They didn't resist disposable magazines because of expense, they resisted disposable magazines because fat old men fear change and are generally okay with sacrificing the young to pointless ideals.
>>
File: dead peacekeepers rwanda.png (715KB, 1500x876px) Image search: [Google]
dead peacekeepers rwanda.png
715KB, 1500x876px
>>34082810
Brilliant.
>>
>>34080434
sexist
>>
>>34084728
bad b8 m8 fuck off to reddit
>>
>>34082810
>We're going to send you out on a night patrol, mid-sandstorm, then yell at you because there was to much static to get comms with you.

t. Afghan 2011
>>
>>34082810
At least you got to keep your mk 19s... We got ours taken away mid deployment because we never got actual training on them, so one went runaway during contact, the gunner freaked out and accidentally leveled a small town

t. chair force
>>
>>34080031
Fpbp
>>
ammunition is expensive, men are cheap.

if your soldiers die in the field. you can always recover their rifle and ammo and give it to the next peasant scum.

now, if i'm needed, i'll be in the officer's mess tent for tea. no the enlisted cannot have any. Get back to work digging my latrine.

t. bong officer.
>>
>>34084954
Give him a medal
That's the kind of aggressiveness we should always expect from the US military.
>>
>>34080088
weirdly looks like a P38 from a distance
>>
>>34085083
Training a soldier isn't cheap, supplying them isn't cheap and the reason for extraordinarily high production numbers on guns in the world wars was due not only to the massive amount of men that needed arming, but because of the loss of weapons through destruction or enemy capture
>>
>>34085148
>>34084954
excellence in all we do right lads?
>>
>>34085083
Talking rubbish. Britain has always had to contend with manpower shortages, very much so in the Victorian colonial conflicts where British forces were fighting completely outnumbered in virtually every instance.
A fully trained and well equipped redcoat transported thousands of kilometers across the planet was a very valuable resource not to be squandered without good reason.
Your caricature would be better applied to any plethora of historical countries with very large populations and exclusively upper class and corrupt officer corps which often didn't care if their men even entered combat with adequate clothing let alone training and ammunition.
>>
>>34083588
It hurts, Anon.
>>
>>34080028
What am I looking at here?
>>
>>34084954
>mk19 fired enough to level a small village without jamming
they should've excused it as an act of god
>>
>>34082685
What was Vietnam.
>>
>>34082761
walking fire was to be used with a staggered rolling artillery.

artillery suppresses the push and troops continue fire.
>>
File: 5l6wa.jpg (24KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
5l6wa.jpg
24KB, 600x400px
>>34080031
>>
>>34080028
seems similar to useless burst mode
>>
>>34088309
>seems similar to useless auto mode
FTFY
>>
>>34083712
It wasn't a resupply issue, it was because they wanted to have the men fire in volleys like they did with Martini Henery's when shooting gunless brownies. this was the same army that marched line abreast into German machine guns so they had an issue with intnetional doing shit oldschool in the first stages of WWI.
>>
>>34080028
>magazine cut off

Shoot single shot at extended range and when you get rushed, you start fast firing from the magazine? Makes some sense to me. Prevents idiots from being empty when the hun charges.

It's not that much different as to why US Armed forces started to issue burst fire fire control groups over full auto ones. It's to protect the idiot soldier from his idiocy (and fucking over the rest while at it).

At least it made some sense in their doctrine.

>>34080087
>Magazine disconnect is worse than the magazine cutoff

Ah yes, the dreaded magazine safety. Makes the trigger heavier and the operation more complex.

>>34084710
>rwanda

Ah, yes. Brilliant ROE.

Do not fire unless fired upon. Do not even intervene when you see someone slaughtered in front of you.

So what happens, you get surrounded, but can't fire. Then you are stuck & need to surrender. After that they slaughter you.

Yup yup, fucking great.
>>
>>34080028
>magazine cut off?
The magazine cut off was a great idea. Look at the supply chain in the 19th century. You had to put the ammo on a ship, and get it to the nearest port, then by train, get it to within a few hundred miles of where your soldiers are, then pull it by wagon in potentially hostile territory. It takes a long time.

You can actually tell a lot by a country just by their rifle.
The US had their frontier - magazine cut off on their Krags and later M1903.
The British had their empires - magazine cut off on their Enfields. Even the No.4 had a protrusion on the receiver for where one would have been milled in; they just never changed the receiver design.
The French had their empire - Magazine cut off on their Lebel.
The Ottomans had their desert empire - Magazine cut off on their Mauser.
>>34080044
I can some usage for training purposes.
>>
>>34082820
>nobody had a fucking clue how to wage a modern war
Didn't the Canadians use fairly useful mobile warfare tactics utilizing the Lewis gun?
>>
>>34089312
This is the most retarded post I've ever seen in /k/, and I've been here for quite some time already.
>>
>>34080031
anon thinks they're being clever with a reference to the russian invasion cuz they think it's a mauser when in fact its a lee enfield.
>>
>>34090806
He is entirely correct, the magazine cutoff served a legitimate military and logistical purpose for its intended context.

What is it with all the idiots in this thread acting like the officer being able to control the fire of his men is a bad thing? Especially in a colonial warfare situation?
>>
>>34082737
Wait, we have a solution!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zi4FXCSgDw
>>
>>34080052
What are you talking about

Are you saying Britain made their troops shittier?
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.