[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MREs and such

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: 1488382685074.jpg (230KB, 928x780px) Image search: [Google]
1488382685074.jpg
230KB, 928x780px
I recently picked up this slimmed down sort of MRE called a MORE. And I was wondering what you guys think of these, are the regular MREs by themselves not enough for troops in certain locations? I'm assuming there is a lot less calories than a regular MRE because these things are for in addition rather than instead of. And there is no heating device either.

I found a video online of a guy unboxing the same MRE I got
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxsveIugJvo

I think Ill stick to just making homemade MREs.

>picture unrelated.
>>
>tfw want to buy enormous case of MREs/FSRs etc to bring to work for lunch because they're convenient as fuck dont want to come off as a wannabe
>>
>>34079327

You want to bring an MRE for lunch at work?
>>
MREs are shit only favored by tacticool cancerfaggots.

freeze dried civilian food like mountain house is leagues ahead
>>
Only had one experience with those and that was while in transit to theatre (Afghanistan bound) and we had stopped over for a day in Kuwait. They were doling those out there because they're specifically made for hot deserts where water is scarce. The idea being that they're packed with so many of the minerals and nutrients you need and get from water and sports drinks that you should be able to survive longer in the desert with less water. More of a "just in case" kinda deal. Not a bad idea either, just standing in the Kuwaiti/Iraqi sun you're burning through calories and dumping your salts because it can get very very hot there. When we made it to Afghanistan we went back to the standard MRE's as it was pretty temperate there. Cold winters (6 feet of snow in one night once) and hot summers (up to 110F or higher regularly in the peak of summer)
>>
>>34077454
Fuck that shit, MRE's and anything that comes in them are just crap pure simple crap. thye make your bodily waste smell like a toxic dump, they make you feel like crap, holy hell the MORE is jsut MRE with less food more suger.
>>
>>34080980

It's like Afghanistan was designed to be some kind of hard-mode battle zone that armies can test their might at counterinsurgency in.
>>
>>34079327
https://www.walmart.com/search?query=hormel+compleats&redirect=false
or just be yourself

>>34077454
army snak pacs? they look okay if the price is right.

>>34080902
they aren't ready to eat.
>>
>>34080902
My cunt's MREs are pretty good desu
terveisin, frenchfag
>>
>>34077454
>chocolate almonds
>not activated almonds
>>
There are two types, a hot weather type, and a cold weather/high altitude type.
>>
>>34080902
mountain house tastes so good and mre fags will never know
>>
>>34080902
>read to eat
>dehydrated

You do understand the difference?
>>
>>34082504
mountain house is shit.

mre's are shit too but at least they dont need water and heat for prep
>>
I think some people confuse MREs and regular emergency food supplies. MREs are when you have to leave your place when SHTF like a natural disaster, something in your bug-out bag, the job of the MRE is to give you food to survive on as you are on the move.

The job of the MRE is not as something you bulk up on in your house for everyday eating during SHTF, that's what canned goods are for, like Spam and what have you. If you are sitting in your basement and you are eating MREs, you fucked up. Unless you like putting unhealthy shit into your body and wasting money.
>>
>>34080902
Aside from the freeze dried meme, this. I'll never understand why you'd want MREs as a civy, there's tons of better shit for cheaper that will last a decent amount of time,
>>
File: innawoods14.jpg (569KB, 500x3205px) Image search: [Google]
innawoods14.jpg
569KB, 500x3205px
>>
>>34081024
this
>what is the Great Game
>>
>clean out the rack of surplus MREs at the PX
>sell them to local airsofters for a 200% markup

MRE scalping is GOAT
>>
>>34083529
The appeal to civilians is you get to taste something kind of exotic and interesting without needing to hand over 4 years of your life.
>>
>>34083764
what do they go for at the px? i can get fema surplus 14 cases for $25
>>
>>34083991

Bastard. You can't get MREs in my country, unless it is some kind of old novelty item. Yes you can go pay 10 dollars for a dinner just-add-water bag or a few dollars for a protein bar, but there's not much thrill in that and making normal dinner is half that price. Order from outside the country, and shipping is 50 dollars. So from my perspective, MREs are more expensive than a restaurant meal. Do they interest me? Oh yes. Will I ever get to taste most of them? No. So of course they are interesting. An economy alternative they will never be.
>>
>>34077454
It's normally at this point some mongoloid turns up and claims that mixed menu MREs are completely unnecessary because pemmican supplies all your nutritional needs. Strange that hasn't happened.

Anyway, I guess that sort of MRE falls under what they now call "initial operations" or First Strike rations, or whatever gay name they think of next. Basically designed to fit in a pouch or ruck and consist of foods that can be crammed into the modern warfighters gob without any preparation in the first 24 hours of a conflict. It's a surprisingly similar in concept to the Iron Rations of the days of yore, except they're meant for initial use in a conflict rather than emergency use, and are actually edible. They could also fill a handy secondary role as humanitarian relief rations.
>>
>>34083651

That's an awesome site.
>>
>>34083764

I remember they sold some at my commissary. Where at your PX did you find them?
>>
>>34084212

Handy and handy. These days, the only areas likely to get any humanitarian aid are in the middle east. And they have some dietarian issues, like the unwillingness to eat pork and - I think - a few other things, which you don't want to any of your own soldiers to relate to. Let's not waste time arguing about the humanitarian bit - aid is given to those groups you want to be in favor with, and nobody else.Of course it would be different in the west but I doubt Belgium or Louisiana are going to be sent MREs. McDonalds food stamps, maybe.
>>
>>34084212

Now I think of it. Has emergency food been given out in the US since ww2 at all?
>>
File: size0.jpg (39KB, 290x435px) Image search: [Google]
size0.jpg
39KB, 290x435px
>>34084405
>>34084414
they are handed out pretty regularly as disaster relief supplies

i believe this is cuomo receiving some after finally allowing the ng in once they had agreed to completely disarm themselves.
>>
>>34084545
>after finally allowing the ng in once they had agreed to completely disarm themselves.

What. If you're implying that this Cuomo fella demanded that the NG disarm themselves before they could help others then I don't see how anyone has shot this bastard yet. I could be misreading it.
>>
>>34083651

This isn't a bad guide. Especially near the end where he flat out acknowledges the weaknesses with this assortment of food. The sodium and nutritive issues he points out are usually a problem with a lot of civvie MREs and freeze-dried foods.

I'm surprised people haven't mentioned the nutritive value of any of these yet, because the military MREs are usually fairly well balanced for what they are.
>>
>>34084722
>"No, we appreciate the help. The National Guard has been helpful, but the NYPD is the only people we want on the street with guns, and we don't need it. There has been one or two minor outbreakings, disgraceful though they may be, of looting reported in the paper, but the vast bulk of people are doing the right thing. And in Brooklyn people are safe the same way as they are in the rest of the city. We have the resources. The NYPD is 100 percent confident that we can protect the public. We've been doing this for an awful long time. You just have to take a look at the crime rate to understand how good a job this is. And the National Guard has plenty of responsibilities. There are plenty of locations upstate and into surrounding states where they don't have a police department the size of New York, and they can use help from the state, and that's where they should be."

post sandy they've spun it, but i was there, that's exactly what happened.
>>
Do MREs actually taste good?
>>
>>34084405
Knowing the provenance and grade of most MRE meat, I don't think halal or kosher is an issue when even the people making the rations are unsure what circus animal it came from.
>>
>>34086570

It's food made by the same companies making food for civilian chain stores. Within the expiration date the goods will be decent provided the MRE is made for any country with a proper military budget. Think of it as mid-level chain store food with different badges.

I was on a NATO excercise once where we got just-add-water stews for dinner for ten days straight. It was okay the first day. By the tenth I was ready to kill and not out of patriotism.
>>
>>34087561
Keks were had :^)
>>
>>34077454
i never got this infatuation with mres. i mean sure they are fun to fuck around with occasionally but the taste is not that great the portions are tiny i think i would need to take 3 for every day and they don't pack that small.
>>
>>34088603
also what is the point of dehydrated food if you have to carry the water to re-hydrate it anyhow?
>>
>>34087561
Typically lab monkey, once in a long time you'll get giraffe.
>>
>>34088644
nah it's all mechanically processed a bleached chicken that mcdonalds refused to buy because it was slightly green and smelled bad.
>>
Yeah because the same inspectors with 200 page manuals on pencil standards will go 'whatever' when they inspect and supervise the food making process.
>>
>>34088611
Where you're never away from your logistics train for more than a couple of days not much, since as you say you'll likely just be carrying all the water you need anyway for those periods.
When you're going to be operationally operating miles from resupply for extended periods or are just sat at the end of a wonky supply line it's generally considered easier to source water locally than it is foodstuffs with equivalent calorific value to MREs.
>>
>>34077454
>Slimmed down MRE
>MORE
MORE is an add-on to the typical MRE. Literally stands for Modular Operational Ration Enhancement
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.