[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Small Game Rifle;For a beginner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: hairy_thehare.jpg (73KB, 500x353px) Image search: [Google]
hairy_thehare.jpg
73KB, 500x353px
Alright /k/ so I wasn't really sure whether to post this here or on /out/ but anyways, I know some of you hunt and I have been wanting to get into it for quite sometime now.
I have a few questions.
Any recommendations on how to get started hutning?
I live in California(yeah I know, its strict)
Any recommendations for rifles for beginners?
I'm also still fairly young(19) but I do go fishing so guts and what not does not gross me out.
Sorry for the shitty formatting I mostly lurk on 4chan. Thanks /k/
>>
Anyone?
>>
Remington speedmaster 552, try to get an older one.
>>
>>34074282
>Remington speedmaster 552
Will check it out, thanks anon!

Any books and or websites you could direct me to, to educate myself on small game hunting?
>>
File: 1722.jpg (38KB, 1023x779px) Image search: [Google]
1722.jpg
38KB, 1023x779px
If you are looking to start with small game hunting, I'd recommend either .22 caliber or 17 HMR. Both you can find for really cheap as well as the ammunition for it.
>>
/k/ doesn't move as fast as some of the other boards. No need to bump every 30 mins.

Because hunting laws are different in every state, you really have to read up on your states particular brand. Luckily you can usually find the little booklets fish & game print up in any given sporting goods store. As
>>34074353
mentioned, .22 is a good place to start for a few reasons:
You seem new to firearms in general, and .22 is an excellent rifle to learn the fundamentals of shooting on
It is also very cheap and is sold everywhere in bulk, so finding a ton of ammo for practice isn't a problem
It's adequate for small game and won't ruin the meat or pelt
Most rifles will be cheap. We're talking $100-$500 range, and spending alot on glass isn't nearly as important with rimfires.
California has pretty strict laws regarding where and at what you're shooting. My experience from living there was that most people didn't care at all about .22 basically anywhere it was reasonably safe.

All this together, it's the best choice and you won't break the bank getting into a spendy hobby you don't even know if you want to pursue yet.
>>
>>34074394
>/k/ doesn't move as fast as some of the other boards. No need to bump every 30 mins.
Noted.
>You seem new to firearms in general, and .22 is an excellent rifle to learn the fundamentals of shooting on
I have shot a few guns but yes I am a beginner. And the general consensus here is that .22 is a cheap rifle for beginners, so I will make sure to purchase one if I decide to invest myself further into small game hunting.
Thanks for the reply anon.
>>
As for recommendations on rifles, I've used alot of .22's and there are a ton of great options. But in my opinion it's down to two. Marlin 60 and CZ455

If you want a semi auto,Marlin 60 it is. Being tube magazine fed means you are almost certainly never going to run into problems if and when California gun laws change. Its cheap, farely accurate and fun.

The CZ455 is my preferred choice. Not only is it a quality rifle, accurate and smooth, but it has the ability to swap barrels to different calibers. This means you can have one rifle with multiple barrels and swap them out to shoot whatever rimfire cartridge you feel like. Gives you room to experiment without having to buy a separate rifle any time you want to try something different. out of the box accuracy from 100yds, iron sights and Aquila ammo was 10 rounds touching. Not bad at all for a $400 rifle
>>
>>34074534
>Marlin 60 and CZ455
I'll make sure to check those guns out.
>it has the ability to swap barrels to different calibers
Huh, I had no idea that a rifle was capable of that.
>>
>>34074056
>>34074056
ruger 10/22 for ultimate fun, not sure if semi autos are legal for hunting in cali, they aren't here in pa but will be this year thanks to legislation that passed.
>>
CZ rimfire rifles are great. My 452 goes on every single range trip.

Savage Mark IIs are also pretty decent.

For scopes - Mueller APVs are good for around $125 or so, and Weaver V16s are fantastic for around $300.

If you go CZ, use CZ's rings. I used BKLs for a while and while they work, CZ rings are bombproof and don't sit so high.
>>
File: henry.jpg (53KB, 1004x277px) Image search: [Google]
henry.jpg
53KB, 1004x277px
You should also know that Henry makes a levergun in .22, there's a base model and a more expensive model with an octagonal barrel that can be had for about $320
>>
You saved me from having to make this thread myself OP, thanks. I've been nogunz for too long, I think. Time to bite the bullet.
>>
>>34076067
>there's a base model and a more expensive model with an octagonal barrel that can be had for about $320

OP here, what is the main difference between a regular barrel and an octagon barrel? Are they more accurate/powerful or are they just for the aesthetics?
>>
File: IMG_20160917_132246.jpg (3MB, 1728x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160917_132246.jpg
3MB, 1728x3072px
>>34074056
>commiefornia
You best off getting a break barrel air rifle
Get a PCP gun if you got the $$$ for it
>>
>>34076717
In a .22 levergun it's just for aesthetics. It won't heat up as fast as a normal gun barrel but you won't be shooting fast enough for that to matter. Also it will be a lot heavier.
>>
>>34076717
thicker, more durable and more aesthetic

I'm sure the round barrel model would be just fine
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.