[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend me a gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: FB_IMG_1495733852365.jpg (46KB, 638x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1495733852365.jpg
46KB, 638x960px
Here's my situation.

I have a lot of land with tall grass (estimate 3-4ft tall) in some places, fairly thick woods in patches in other. One long car trail going through the property is the most visible it gets. Routinely I see and hear grass moving like I'm being watched or stalked. Boar have been sighted out there, but apparently a contingent of predator cats and coyotes are there too. I need a gun that's powerful enough to put down anything quickly. However, I would like this gun to be accurate out to 400m for when I go to range fun times (i can shoot steel targets there) basically, I want to be able to react to the possibility of getting suprised, or at least get the jump on anything that could possibly hurt me.
>>
>>34073649

7.62 ar ?
>>
>>34073693
X39 or x51?
>>
File: #P1070373.jpg (1MB, 1581x1367px) Image search: [Google]
#P1070373.jpg
1MB, 1581x1367px
>>34073649
So basically, you want a light-ish weight centerfire rifle in 556/545/762x39. I take all these rounds to 400 yard steel no problem, and they're all plenty accurate even with irons so long as I can see my plates against the background.
But there's a fair chance that something that comes after you there will probably be on you so fast that you would never have time to take a shot with it anyway. Especially if it's a cat.
For my purposes, the ultimate outdoors gun is the 762x39 vz58 with a folder stock. Between weight and comfort to carry, and how the stock unfolds in a single motion as you raise the gun to your shoulder to aim. And the volume without hearing protection, while unpleasant, isn't unbearable with 762x39. Then stripper clips are easier to carry with IMO vs a spare mag, they aren't awkward and big.
But I realize this may not be your ideal rifle, you may be wanting something scoped more easily when you're talking about 400m shooting. Although that scope isn't going to be super useful inside of 10 feet if one of your critters jumps out at you, which is unlikely in the first place.
>>
>>34073693
Pretty much or a veper if better price/availability
>>34073737
51 the 39 drops like a bitch at that range
>>
>>34073782
Also an option I prefer less drop if I am not going lever for 400 bit can be fun/challenging to learn the arc
>>
>>34073649
Buy a tractor and a bush hog and cut your grass.
>>
Just cut your grass mate if the sections not too big, or if it's fenced good buy 50 goats for like $5 and have them go to town. It's what I did, saved my paddocks and I got some target practice when it was cleared.
>>
File: Opened_Rear_Sight[1].jpg (783KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
Opened_Rear_Sight[1].jpg
783KB, 2272x1704px
>>34073914
There's not much to learn, move your irons sights.
I don't really bother to do it, but that's what they're there for.
>>
>>34074021
Only time I messed with x39 was in some ar conversion that had the flip up nonadjusting sights (for range) but yes that is easy enough for most guns not cobbled together by a madman. I was just surprised how quickly the round hit the rangebow
>>
>>34074136
Well, from my experience, 762x39 drop is FAR more intimidating on paper than IRL.
>>
>>34073951
>>34073999

OP here, I said it's my land, it's my friend's who is renting on this property. Maybe I could ask the landlord to cut the grass.
>>
If you want something inexpensive, with a bayonet as a backup, get an SKS from the nearest milsurp store.
>>
>>34074396
I doubt he's just going to jump for joy at the idea of cutting his grassy field at his expense for no reason.
Pay him something? rent something and do it yourself at your expense with his permission? that might get the ball rolling.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.