[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UK military had to "borrow" arms for Falklands

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

File: Severe Doubt.jpg (137KB, 862x479px) Image search: [Google]
Severe Doubt.jpg
137KB, 862x479px
Did the UK really borrow rifles, mags, and ammo from its citizens during the Falklands war?

>mfw

If your local NG units needed guns or ammo would you volunteer yours?

Starts at 25:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRKIDk_bj78
>>
>>34073315
>Did the UK really borrow rifles, mags, and ammo from its citizens during the Falklands war?
No, this is a stupid thing to even consider.
>>
>>34073315
>De Lisle carbine in the Falklands
Is this man on drugs? That weapon was phased out of British service in the 60's.
>>
>>34073315
That is the single dumbest thing I have ever heard of in my life. Seriously.

Firearms are quite possibly the least expensive part of a army and the UK was undergoing downsizing at the time. So chances are they had an excess of all their equipment.
>>
This is a kind of fuddlore Ive never encountered before. Why would it even be necessary? TF Falklands only involved about 10K people and it was at the height of the cold war when the UK was at peak readiness. I cant imagine many civilians would even have many SLR mags or .308 ammo to offer even if it came up.
>>
>>34073386
Could he mean civilians living IN the Falklands at the time giving them to some kind of island defense force?
>>
>>34073405
The very first thing the Argies did was disarm the populace.
>>
>>34073362
>"They were supposed to have been used in the Falklands in some of the 'quiet' raids in preparation for the amphibious invasion"
is just some rumors I've found on other gun forums
>>
>>34073832
It seems petty daft that they would ask for civilian help to launch secret raids, the MOD never throws anything away so ammunition and magazines would no have been in short supply.
>>
>>34073875
>"They asked for, but didn't get, WW2 de Lisle silenced carbines prior to GW1. The de Lisle fired .45" ACP and was built from much modified Lee Enfields. The de Lisle was/is reputed to be completely silent, but in reality it was louder than the silenced Mk 5 Sterling SMG which They (and the Argies) already had."

yeah i'm getting the impression the guy in the OP vid was retarded.
>>
>>34073893

>bolt action .45 louder than a semi auto 9mm

Where does this logic even come from
>>
If you want a genuine answer, go to:

www.arrse.co.uk and go to the Falklands board and ask. There are vets from that campaign on the forums who'll tell you.
>>
File: Nice.gif (1000KB, 192x213px) Image search: [Google]
Nice.gif
1000KB, 192x213px
>>34073942
>www.arrse.co.uk
hehe, arse...
>>
>>34073315
>If your local NG units needed guns or ammo would you volunteer yours?
You know you'd never get it back.
>>
>>34073923
Better suppressor design?
>>
File: stupid.jpg (81KB, 687x369px) Image search: [Google]
stupid.jpg
81KB, 687x369px
>>
>>34074063
Well, it's Eric from IV8888, he is that stupid.
>>
>>34073315
that's literally the point of 2nd amendment. if the NG needed armaments, the governing body would declare a state of emergency and form a militia.
>>
>>34073315
probably true

durring the early stages of the iraq war cadet issue l98a1 were all turnined into sa80's again for the war

kind of worrying as uk is suppose to be a developed country
>>
>>34074090
Eric actually did a double take when the Brit guy said it. He was being extremely polite to a guy who must have been taking blue bills his whole life. Chad, who is still a tool, would have just told him he was retarded.
>>
>>34073315
for defense sure, for offense only if i had a reasonable expectation of getting it back.
>>
>>34073315
If the National Guard has failed to procure and maintain its arms before an invasion by a foreign enemy, they have no authority as an institution to defend the United States or enforce laws. It is up to the citizenry to do that instead.
>>
was lending firearms to britian durign ww2 and they couldnt send them back so they just threw them in teh ocean for real?
>>
>>34074208
The only guns they threw in the sea were Smith and Wesson Light Rifles, basically 9mm carbines that were shit and couldn't actually fire British 9mm ammunition. They couldn't get a refund and got rid of them just after the war.
>>
>>34073875
This, we still have X thousand Lee Enfield No1 MK4s in storage.
>>
File: james-may.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
james-may.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>34075127
>Lee Enfield No1 MK4s in storage
Britain MUST be liberated.
>>
File: falklands.gif (3MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
falklands.gif
3MB, 720x480px
>>34075542
We still have Martini-Henrys lying around, may come in handy in the near future.
>>
>>34074108
>uk is suppose to be a developed country
not looking good m8
>>
File: Military-numbers.gif (11KB, 465x335px) Image search: [Google]
Military-numbers.gif
11KB, 465x335px
>>34076118
fuck me forgot the pic
>>
>>34073315
>would you volunteer yours?

Fuck no because they would end up keeping them.
>>
>>34073315
Considering during WWI the Brits needed Firearms and Americans donated them and they still disarmed their citizenry afterwards. Fuck the Brits only thing they deserve is to be conquered. I mean history can only repeat itself so many times till you can prove they're retarded. WWII appears and the disarmed Brit citizenry find themselves gravely disarmed again spurning the need for one of the greatest garage guns to fill the need and hence the Sten was produced. 2017 and looks like they are again pretty fucked when it comes to the amount of small arms in the hands of civilians with the muslim hordes invading...
>>
File: 00000.png (96KB, 750x935px) Image search: [Google]
00000.png
96KB, 750x935px
>>34076309
>>
>>34073875
>the MOD never throws anything away

This is true- a crucial part for one of the Vulcan's inflight refuelling system was being used as an ashtray in the officer's mess.
>>
>>34076348
This infographic is retarded, because even though the USA is less white than Britain, by percentage Britain has WAAAAAAAYYY more muslims.

Like, Britain is 5% muslim, the USA is only *0.9*%
>>
>>34076348
>w-we're more white!
why does that matter again? whether or not britshitland is more white than the US, it's still infinitely more of a shithole. I'd take a less white, but more free gun-friendly country over a pure white gun-free liberal shithole anyday. this isn't /pol/, "no im more white than u" isn't an argument here.
>>
I knew before I even opened this thread it would be that retard.
>>
File: 1445323346401.gif (581KB, 300x297px) Image search: [Google]
1445323346401.gif
581KB, 300x297px
Eric is a fucking idiot autist, Barry made him, spews bullshit all time time, and has retard genes that made this.
>>
>>34073362
>>34073832
I mean maybe? They where still using the welrod till at least Gulf Storm
>>
>>34076348
The American population is 321 million, the British population is 65 million. Suddenly 2.7 seems a lot bigger huh?
>>
>>34078594
Which one?
>>
>>34078651
Not really, since we don't have as many blacks or non-whites anyway.
>>
>>34078606
barry was a fking criminal manlet. fun fact: he was only 5' tall
>>
File: 1424441943398.jpg (78KB, 400x460px) Image search: [Google]
1424441943398.jpg
78KB, 400x460px
why would they be short of arms? the 3 Commando Brigade was part of a Joint Brit-Dutch MEU equivalent ready to retake Norway from the Soviets prior to the Falklands War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLmUdIxqmn0 6:23 they even had enough spare weapons and unifoms to create reserve units made of RN Ratings.
>>
>>34073315
Read Hasting's book about the Falklands War. He mentioned that soldiers used to Cold War austerity suddenly were snowed under with supplies, weapons and ammo. The British Lion was on her last legs then, but one thing they still kept up was the logistics system. Read how the Merchant Navy was activated too.
>>
>>34073315
The SAS 'borrowed' some Stinger missiles from the US.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.