[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General - Chairforce Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 34

File: 1455121624412.jpg (149KB, 862x862px) Image search: [Google]
1455121624412.jpg
149KB, 862x862px
>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

>Should I go nuke???
No.

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
These threads are pointless.
>>
File: 1453693444993.png (184KB, 845x589px) Image search: [Google]
1453693444993.png
184KB, 845x589px
What are the benefits of going Option 40 instead of Option 4 in the 35 series
>>
Why are the Air Force so full of themselves despite having laughable physical standards and no lineage like the Navy, Army, or Marines?
>>
>>34072476
Because the Air Force has smarter people in it, and its human nature to be snobby.

>inb4 exceptions
>>
Went to meps but couldn't sign because of the date on my braces letter. I'm going navy and want a job in aviation maitenance. They only had AV available. Is this a good rate? I want to be on a carrier.
>>
>>34072437
go fuck yourself you don't know what oppression is
>>
File: 1444103446313.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1444103446313.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>34072551
>Getting this mad over an OP picture
>>
File: image.png (112KB, 238x276px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
112KB, 238x276px
>>34072561
>Enabling CIS Oppression
>>
>>34072476
Because we're better than you.
>>
>>34072960
*smarter
>>
>>34072960
>laughing stock of the entire US military
>better
>>
>>34073039
The Airforce has some of the most elite soldiers in the US Military, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>34073090
Yea but the Air Force isn't made of elites, your role is different. Don't take offence, embrace it. You guys are the brains not the grunts.
>>
>>34073039
You all laugh at us while we laugh back to our nicer dorms and better benefits.
>>
Navy guys: CTT or CTR? Do we have any here?
>>
>>34073194
The army is easier, fuck using my head. (NZ btw, don't have muhrines)
>>
>>34072544
I literally tore off upwards of $500 in orthodontics (permanent retaining brace lower teeth)
>>
>>34073235
-with a screwdriver in the recruiters office so I could get to meps and secure my MOS
>>
>>34073235
>>34073262
I just got a letter that says they'll be off by May 2018. A long way out, I know, but I want to correct my absolutely fucked teeth while I'm still young. I'll be in DEP for whatever rate I choose
>>
>>34073235
What the fuck, can you not have a retainer in the military?
>>
>>34073559
Has to be removeable
>>
>>34073582
Shit, I got a permanent retainer in 8th grade. That disqualifies me?
>>
>>34073589
Talk to your recruiter. Mine(navy) specifically requested that my orthodontist specify that the retainer will be removable. Not sure if that's the requirement
>>
>>34073589
>>34073596
And you could always have it removed if you wanted, and replaced with a removable one
>>
>>34072450

God damn that's a Savage thing to do to someone
>>
File: does this look dangerous to you.png (2MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
does this look dangerous to you.png
2MB, 2000x2000px
>>34072567
>Being mentally ill

>>34073589
Fuckin hell I have one too. One more thing to worry about. Dammit.
>>
>>34072476
Aircraft give zero fucks about PT. Aircraft give zero fucks about lineage. For decades the Air Force had near zero PT for most people once they got out of their first tech school.

I did one annual PT test walk while smoking Pall Malls. No problem.

Then American diet changed and resulted in fatasses so PT became a thing, but PT doesn't fix or combat turn aerospace vehicles any faster.

Tacticool athletics is fine for people who NEED that stuff to fight, but the Air Force does not except for fighter pilots and cops.
>>
>>34073634
AFSOC guys need to stay in top shape mate, besides that yeah no one else really needs to.
>>
>>34072476
Air conditioned tents while on deployments

Arguably the coolest SOF jobs.
>>
>>34073039
it's obvious you've never served or been downrange, because the Air Force are the ones who will vaporize Achmed for you and even give you a lift home if your leg gets blown off.
>>
>>34073559
I've been in the Chair Force for 5 years and have had two permanent retainers since high school. I've seen airmen with faces full of braces.

What kind of bullshit is your recruiter feeding you?
>>
>>34073764
Something about this post just screams 9 years old.
>>
>>34073690
Fighter pilots have the FACP fitness test periodically, but I don't think the "score" you get for it counts for anything.
>>
>>34073714
>pj and cct
Theyre alright but not really direct action so i wouldnt say theyre the coolest
>>
>>34073764
No, pj's are trash. Army helicopters do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to medevac and specops transport.
tac-p is cool though.
>>
>>34074048
>pj's are trash
stopped reading there
>>
>>34073962
>CCT
>JTAC qualified
They can do more than just set up a makeshift runway.
>>
If I go 35 series should I go Option 4, or Option 40?
>>
>>34074571

It's really simple, anon, do you want to be a Ranger?
>>
>>34074573
I just want to know what will be more beneficial to getting with a combat unit. I don't want to risk failing Ranger school, and then being placed in an mos that is in need of bodies, if I can just do jump school and still get the same benefits.
>>
>>34074597

"Combat unit" isn't a real thing.

Option 40 is RASP, not Ranger School. If you don't pass RASP, you don't get reclassed, you just go to another assignment in your MOS.

Just doing jump school will not allow you to be a Ranger, but it makes it likely that you will be assigned to an Airborne BN.
>>
>>34074435
I know faggot. Every infantry platoon has a jtac or at least fc, even the shit units have jtacs.
>>
>>34074626
>>34074571
Can 35N go Option 40? Everything in 35 series?
>>
>>34073589
I had a permanent retainer when I was part of the worlds most elite janitorial force, maween core infantry
>>
>>34074829

It's not available with every 35 series, but it is available for 35N.
>>
>>34074597
Kek its called a line unit, not a combat unit. Combat arms doesn't exist anymore. Its called Maneuver.
>>
>>34074940
So are they basically POGs in the Ranger regiment?
>>
>>34075427

Yes? Why wouldn't they be? You realize most Rangers are POGs, right?
>>
>>34075369
>Combat arms doesn't exist anymore. Its called Maneuver.

Literally what? Combat Arms units *include* manuever units, along with fire and effects units.

Combat arms includes infantry, ADA, air cav, artillery, armor, and a few others I can't recall offhand.

>Kek its called a line unit, not a combat unit.
Since those are both unofficial terms, you're really getting into splitting nonexistent hairs.
>>
>>34075456

"Combat unit" isn't really a thing though. Since the Army switched to BCTs, most people end up in combined arms elements.

Very loosely you could categorize a few units as "non-combat units" in the sense that they do not regularly deploy, but even that isn't perfect. You might have a higher chance of a small-group deployment stationed in a MICO than a BCT, for instance. Furthermore, units stationed as OPFOR at the training centers might not be on deployable status, but they get more field experience than anyone. "Combat unit" is just such a nebulous term that it's meaningless.

If what anon was asking is "will option 4/40 mean there's less of a chance I end up in a strat billet", the answer is generally yes. Not being in a strat billet doesn't mean you're in a deploying unit though, or that you will deploy.
>>
>>34075490
Right, you're splitting hairs about slang.
>>
>>34075533

Slang works because it has a generally accepted meaning. "Combat unit" could mean half a dozen things depending on what anon meant, so it's a pretty useless term.
>>
>>34073196
I'm in DEP for CTR
>>
Hey, not sure if these threads are also for current military guys, but does anyone have resources for becoming a good junior NCO? I'll be an NCO in june so I don't want to be a retard.
>>
>>34075447
I guess I didn't
>>
ship in 2 days for army infantry. lol
>>
>>34074785
Okay guy, saying they don't do direct action just means you're an idiot that doesn't know what you're talking about.
>>
File: 1495636048920.png (598KB, 960x776px) Image search: [Google]
1495636048920.png
598KB, 960x776px
>>34072449
No they are not, without these generals there were like 5 threads a day like:

"Should i join X branch"
"Is X a good MOS/Rate"
"My recruiter said X, is that true"
"I broke my X when i was 10 or I took medicine for X, should i tell my recruiter?"

Also these generals started out with a lot more good advice, rather than shitposting. But they still help people. My job is amazing, and I'm in the branch I am today because of these generals. Without them I would have probably gone nuke or ended up deck because I'd probably fail out anyways.
>>
Who else at Sheppard here? Just finished my 2nd whole week.
>>
Trying to join navy, don't know shit about their jobs. Whats something to avoid?
>>
>>34076668
drowning.
>>
>>34076668
Nuke, unless you like studying 7 semesters of nuclear engineering within less than year.
>>
>>34077113
>>34076668
But if can recommend you a job, in case you can swim halfway decent, try going EOD.
>>
>enlisted engineer
>just got picked up SWO

im not sure how to feel
>>
>>34077128
why are you telling him to try EOD?
>>
>>34076668
Have you taken the ASVAB?

If not, are you smart? What did you get on the practice?

What are you interested in?
>>
>>34077530
I took it in HS, got a 95. Language type stuff is what I'm best it.
>>
>>34072551

Fuck you i literally almost threw up over that fucking stash shit going on.

Wtf.

That shit is the worst gore ive ever seen

Also kys
>>
What intel jobs should I avoid? (Air Force)
>>
How comfortable in the water should one be to try out for Reconnaissance MART/RIP?
>>
Should I keep my patches on when washing my uniform?
>>
>>34072437
Hey /meg/
25 year old guy here just starting college in the fall for my B.S.
They've got two ROTC programs at the university but I fear I'm not in shape enough for either one. One is Army and one is AF. My major is Computer and Network Security. Now my wonder lies in which branch would benefit me the most regarding my major?
>>
>>34078282
Air Force, probably. But don't stress out too much about MOS and how it will apply later on. Obviously it should be something you want to do, but also don't try to force yourself to like something because you think there will be money at the end of the road. The people who become millionaires after their service are pretty rare.
>>
>>34078351
My grandfather served in the Navy and my uncle served in the USMC. I feel like it's something I should do. Now those branches don't interest me but still.
>>
>>34072437
What happens if you feel out of the AIT / A-school / NNPT etc of the respective branches?
>>
>>34077674
Okay, you have CTI which is an option, CTI is not easy, you don't really get to choose your language, it all depends on your DLAB.

Not a bad rate

but CTN, CTR, CTI, CTT, CTM, are all good rates from best to worst. IT is also a decent rate, avoid anything where you'll be slaving away
ie. AT, AO, BM, EN, HT

also corpsman have terrible fucking advancement.

Any intel job, and you'll be pretty comfy

Look these rates up to learn more about them.

With some of these they're ATF so you get push button E-4

DONT GO NUKE
>>
>>34078365
I joined the USMC because my father was in the Navy and grandfather was in the Army, so I was the only Marine.

Honestly, every branch has good and bad MOSes. As long as you don't get Infantry during times of peace then you're already a step above the rest.
>>
>>34078949
I've had a cousin retire as a Lt. Col from the Army, and my grandfather passed so idk his rank. I think my uncle was just a PFC or some shit.
>>
>>34078949
Not like you were the only Navy guy tho.
>>
So where do I take my ASVAB? I did the PASVAB already, got an 89, what do I do from here?
>>
>>34078992
You'll take the actual test at your nearest MEPS.
>>
>>34079009
Are practice tests reliable?
>>
>>34079014
Usually yeah. I got a 92 on my practice test and scored a 97 on the actual test at MEPS. You should be fine since the test was easy. If you're really concerned just study some high school math for a bit, like algebra and geometry.
>>
File: 1495679834103.jpg (119KB, 587x868px) Image search: [Google]
1495679834103.jpg
119KB, 587x868px
>23 years old
>currently working at a research facility as a assistant archiver
>3.5 gpa graduated with honors at texas a&m business major
>some work experience sailing as an ordinary seaman
>did corp of faggots but only because I got tuition subsidized
What are the chances of me getting into army or navy ocs? Im thinking about possibly going to grad school and the military seems like a good idea atm.
>>
How do you lads feel about the Signal Corps?
>>
>>34079062
don't go army
>>
>>34073168

>mfw people actually believe this

Every branch is retarded. If you didn't already know this then you simply don't have enough experience in the air force or joint operations.

The military is full of C students. Don't delude yourself; OTS just reduced the minimum GPA to 2.5 six months ago.
>>
>>34079023

How much do the line scores affect your overall ASVAB grade on the real test?
>>
>>34079062

enlist and go mustang, fagtron. be the dude who did college and tried it out. be the dude who enlisted and slaved away and tried it out. then go officer and learn to be more competent than your peers.

it helps to know the core systems of your branch, plus being able to relate to the people who will be working for you.
>>
File: asvab.jpg (129KB, 1317x610px) Image search: [Google]
asvab.jpg
129KB, 1317x610px
>>34079931

only certain ones affect your overall afqt. heres mine for instance
>>
In the middle of phase 1 training at the moment (UK). Enjoying it a fair bit but really starting to hit a massive bump within my group.

Since the beginning I've basically been pretending to find everyone funny and all that but honestly I find 99% of them to just be boring and bland. Literally nothing but dick jokes 24/7 and really 'laddish' behaviour. It's really starting to get to me since I often find myself at ends with people, mainly because many of them have that typical 'I'm from a shitty part of the country and everyone with more money than me is just a posh cunt' attitude.

Not really sure where I'm going with this but I've honestly been on the verge of DAORing the last two weeks or so.
>>
>>34079951

maybe you are a posh cunt if you are letting little stupid shit really get to you. training is absolute cake compared to being fully operational out in the field/fleet
>>
Can someone explain how option 40 would alter a 35n contract
>>
>>34079963
Nah it's just that they basically never include me in anything and will go out of their way to put me in the shit. Even the section commander took me to one side and asked if I was being bullied. I think the little things are getting to me more now because I'm just unhappy.

Everyday we basically have a "this is why everyone that comes from a decent family is a cunt" chat, gets annoying because it also turns into "If you went to Uni you're not a working guy and shouldn't be here"
>>
>>34079980
So defend yourself dumbass.
>>
>>34079940

Do not do this. Mustangs are a meme.
>>
>>34079971

Why are you just rephrasing the same question twice a day, anon?

35N w/Option 40 would do BCT>AIT>Airborne>RASP. If successful, they would be assigned to one of five Ranger BNs.
>>
>>34080019
I gave up on that after week 6. Part of me wants to tell the section commander about it but I also think that this shit will happen so I should just deal with it. It just annoys me more because I'm happy to get dirty and work really fucking hard but everything I do just gets placed into the 'posh kid pretending to be a mucker' conversations.
>>
File: meet-the-medic.jpg (369KB, 1200x808px) Image search: [Google]
meet-the-medic.jpg
369KB, 1200x808px
Hey guys I don't hang around here too much but I was wondering if any of you guys would be able to help me out. I'm thinking of enlisting as a combat medic with the Australian Army Medical Corps (RAAMC) but I don't know if what to expect.

I've almost finished a bachelor of science (biochemistry/chemistry) and was keen on going into medicine in grad school (most of my cohort is doing GAMSAT too) but also want to have the chance to serve for 1-2 years while I still can. I really don't know alot about the military outside of promotional stuff and wanted to see if any of you guys could help out. Cheers
>>
>>34080027

implying being competent is a meme
>>
Okay so, I'm a Finnish citizen and I really want to enlist in the armed forces. I can't really do it here back home since most of the military is composed of conscripts so pretty much the only available jobs in the military are those where you instruct the conscripts.

Now I reckon I have two choices, either I get myself a green card and go US Army or USMC or I just go ahead and enlist in the FFL. So my experience of military life so far is a year of conscription in an infantry unit as an NCO and a one year deployment in Lebanon, no combat experience.

Currently I'm leaning towards the US since I have close family living there so getting a green card isn't really an issue, also I can't speak french. So my real question is that I really want to go infantry, peace time or not, should USMC or US Army? I really just want to hear opinions based on experience. Also sorry for dragging this on, but this was pretty much the only place where I thought I could ask this.
>>
>>34080038
So they actually don't do ranger school?

Sorry, I was trying to figure out how the pipeline worked. Thanks I appreciate the answer
>>
>>34080076

isnt there plenty of kebab to remove in finland tho?
>>
>>34080093
Yeah sorry, trying to understand the difference between RASP and ranger school. Does RASP include it?
>>
>>34080096
Plenty of kebab to remove, not a whole lot of removing going on though.
>>
>>34080121

you can give BUD/S a try, but if you drop you will be re-rated.
>>
>>34080057

Mustangs are worse at being officers than officers that have been officers the whole time. That's why it's a meme.

People are like "my prior enlisted O3 is so much better than my non-profit enlisted O3" but they forget that the mustang has been doing it like 6 years longer. You should really be comparing him to your O-5. Guess what? He's a shittier officer than your O-5.
>>
>>34080093
>>34080115

RASP - Selection program that makes you a Ranger. Passing this means you get assigned to a Ranger element. The only people who do RASP are people trying to be Rangers.

Ranger school - Leadership and tactics school that anyone can attend. This does not make you a Ranger, but it does give you some uniform candy. If you pass RASP and go into Ranger regiment you will be expected to go to Ranger school eventually, but it's not automatic.
>>
>>34080229

bullshit. put in an academy or NROTC fuck in a slot like ACE or STO and see what happens.

also, if you feel like a comparison up two pa grades is apt, then they must be competent by default, which is my point.
>>
>>34080229
I'd like to hear your experience. All of my friends who were prior enlisted were the best officers I served with and I came in with 0 prior experience.
>>
>>34080275

It's not a competence thing, it's an experience thing.

Officers that have been in for 15 years but only 5 as an officer are worse officers than those who have spent all 15 as an officer.

People think mustangs are better than no mustangs because they're trying to compare someone with 5 years TIS to someone with 10+. It's absolutely retarded.
>>
>>34080288

This. Mustangs appear better to subordinates, but it's a shitty life choice for the person actually doing it.
>>
>>34080288

All other things equal, I'd rather have a prior GSM be CHENG, BM as 1st LT, CT as EWO, and on and on.

Theres something to be said of being professional as in gaining command and taking command, but as far as technical expertise, knowing the mechanics of the branch, and leading those underneath I'll take a mustang any day of the week.

I've seen an O-1E grill an O-4 and it was beautiful. Wish you would take the West Point/Annapolis cock out of your mouth for a second.
>>
File: 1343090862374.jpg (10KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
1343090862374.jpg
10KB, 300x186px
How do you get advance in MCMAP? Do you just go to some Marine dojo?
>>
File: 1495587664850.jpg (331KB, 753x707px) Image search: [Google]
1495587664850.jpg
331KB, 753x707px
I lost most of my sense of smell in high school to ammonia. Would I be completely fucked in the infantry? Does smell ever come up in MEPS or routine physicals? As long as I keep myself clean and can recognize gasoline and sewage will I be ok?
>>
>>34080240
Which is more difficult?
>>
>>34081308
RASP.
>>
Thinking of enlisting into 68w into the Army. What should i expect? How likely will it be that i can get picked up by the Rangers if my contract isn't opt 40 or opt 4
>>
>>34072437
meg discord shills kys
>>
>>34081243
I didn't get tested for smell last time I was at MEPS and this was last year. You should be fine, just don't say anything about it.
>>
>>34072437
How old is too old to enlist? Asking for a friend...
>>
>>34081973

Each branch has its own limits, but they start cutting off around 27. If you go Guard/Reserve it's even higher, like, 35 or something.

If you're talking about when it's "socially" too old to enlist: Never. You might get some high-speed 22 year old sergeant bossing you around, but it doesn't mean a damn thing. Put your pride aside and realize everyone starts as a boot. Also, it's really nice not having to worry about underage drinking.
>>
>>34081973
It depends
>>
Which is more comfy for an Air Force Officer, Munitions Officer or Maintenance Officer?
>>
How good is the Airforce for travel?
>>
>>34082833
What do you mean by "travel"? Like overseas assignments or what?
>>
>>34081460
Post-Army, any non-W medical will get you a better job. W just trains for EMT work, which is shit.
>>
>>34081308

RASP is more intense, but Ranger school slogs on for months and months.
>>
>>34082889
Sure, just being able to see the world and different countries. I've heard that in most places you just get assigned to a location and you rarely leave or see anything, where as with the Navy you are constantly going to new places and get some time to check things out/get shitfaced.
>>
>get waiver approved
>go to MEPs
>they say I need another waiver
this is never gonna end, is it? I wanna strangle that old faggot doctor
>>
>>34083106
What is RASP like? Difficult PT or just a lot of suck; sleep deprivation, hunger, etc? Or pretty much all of the above?
>>
>>34083509
I wouldn't count on it if I were you. You can give them your preferences, but in the end the military's decision on where to put you is final. If you really want to travel that badly just do it on your own time and expense. Don't rely on the military to fulfill your need to explore the world.

>where as with the Navy you are constantly going to new places and get some time to check things out/get shitfaced

I don't know much about how the Navy does things, but just sounds way too good to be true. I bet 99% of that time "going new places" is spent sitting on a boat in the middle of the ocean.
>>
>>34072476
Because we don't eat glue, crayons, lick windows, or swab decks.
>>
actual operator here

ama fags
>>
Taking the ASVAB on Wednesday, anything I should know beforehand?
>>
>>34083966
For more info, I'd like to get something involving driving or anything overseas. 88M seems nice but it looks like mostly work within our border.
>>
>>34083761
Post unit
>>
>>34083982
Man youre retarded. 88M saw a lot of action in theater
>>
>>34083966
Literally don't be retarded.
It's basic math, basic reading, and basic science.

I scored below average on the SAT for math and still pulled a 96 on the ASVAB overall.

Know how sentences work and have a knack for being able to tell when something isn't phrased right.
Basically all the reading parts are just reading sentences and picking out when the words are wrong.
>>
>>34080076
Don't go LÉ until you have no options left. You will hate it otherwise.

You will hate it anyways, but having no place to go is pretty strong motivation.
>>
>>34080076

Go Marines.
>>
How is the intelligence side of the Marine Corps? Marine Reserve, in particular.
>>
>>34083761
Whats your callsign
>>
Is the USMC actively taking people for OCS or is there a waitlist? Also any advice for becoming an officer in the USMC would be appreciated. Looking to get into aviation.
>>
>>34085979
dont fly for marines man, go navy
marines barely fly and when they do it shows up on the news
theyre hurting for pilots last time i tried applying but so is navy
hows your PT
>>
>>34086011
Really? Interesting I will explore this option. Absolute dog shit and I havent swam since I took swim lessons at like 8. Im not fat or anything, Im more of skinny skelly. Have alright endurance for running but as far as strength requirements go Im severely lacking.
>>
>>34086032
then itll be a while before youre competitive.
Navy doesnt look at PT for your application, but dont go unfit or youll get kicked out of the program, takes a while for applications to get rolling though
You need to be a good swimmer for API too iirc
There's a mile swim but you get a good amount of time for it
>>
>>34085979
No "waitlist", very long process. Usually 1-3 months to build a packet, providing you are already at a 290+ PFT. If you aren't the OSO will tell you to come back when you are, but may invite you to some PT events. You also need a flight physical IIRC and this can take some time.

The boards convene 3 times a year for classes that are often 6+ months out, unless you are "deep selected" for a class that could be the following year. Keep in mind you may not be selected at all, and the easier way in is if you haven't graduated with a bachelor's yet. The classes between college years are less competitive because students don't like to give up their summers. OCC is the course for college graduates and that is really competitive.

Some aviation guys quit. They just want to fly, and didn't really expect all the bullshit Marines put up with. You are a Marine first, and a pilot second. Sadly, having gone to Marine OCS (and dropped out) makes applying for other programs in the military more difficult. You'd probably need a waiver.

I'd stay away from the Marines. Good luck.
>>
>>34086104
i knew marine OCS washouts and DORs at Navy OCS that had pilot slots. Navy OCS is much easier desu
If youre really interested I'd give it a shot
>>
>>34086061
My plan is to find an OSO and at least begin a conversation with them after my birthday next month. I have a friend with a gym membership who also was a lifeguard that I will be talking to as well. I for sure will not be signing anything in the shape Im in now. Thank you for advice.
>>
>>34086104
>>34086125
These are both very helpful. I want to find a job as a commercial pilot after I end a military career, so whatever branch provides the best information and the most flight time is where I would like to go. I was leaning towards MC because several friends of mine are Marines, as well as a family friend who used to fly Marine One. I know several people who have been in the AF though and said they absolutely loved their time there.
>>
>>34086160
Don't fall for the USMC meme or the commercial airliner meme
USAF has heavies which are crew orientated, with lots of flight hours
Use your degree and your leadership experience to get a good job as a foreman or some shit, any company would love to take a former pilot
>>
>>34086160
Navy has the P8s that go straight into 737s
Helos too
>>
>>34086370
Whats wrong with commercial piloting? Is it not money for nothing and chicks for free?
>>
how do you guys feel about the national guard?
>>
>>34086469
from what I've encountered, a few people in the nasty girls get tired of it and want to go active duty army but they can't because either their commander won't approve their conditional release or because their contract for natty guard simply isn't up yet. it's extremely hard to go active duty army if you change your mind in the future, go national guard if you have no intention of going active duty in the future.
>>
>>34086538
interesting ya as of right now one of the reasons i dont want to go army is just because I dont want to go active duty, but I still wan to man up a bit and get a little more disciplined and servce my country in the process, but if I end up liking it more than i expect and want to go active then that would suck, but on the other hand if i joined the army and ended up not liking it then im stuck regardless, i had a football coach back in high school who was in the national guard and ended up getting deployed to afghanistan or iraq and actually saw combat and everything
>>
File: 1464619868160.png (185KB, 401x469px) Image search: [Google]
1464619868160.png
185KB, 401x469px
I take my ASVAB/MEPS shenanigans next week. Obviously don't have my scores yet, but these are the AFSC's I'm looking at, in no particular order:

>1N131 - Imagery Interpreter
>3D033 - Cyber Security
>2A633 - Aircrew Egress Systems
>2A735 - Low Observable Aircraft Maintenance
>3D131 - Client Systems
>2A031 - Avionics Test Station & Component
>2A531 - Aerospace Maintenance
>2W031 - Munitions System

Anyone with even a little insight on any of these?

I'd throw in some medical ones, but my recruiter says they're not in particularly high demand right now.
>>
>>34084304
They also hit a lot of IEDs, no?
>>
>>34086740
I spent the last 35 minutes reading the /k/ archives to around 2013. Needless to say, I think I'll take the 11B route now.
>>
So how does MEPS work? Do i just tell the recruiter I want to take the real ASVAB and that's it or is this some final stage shit?
>>
>>34086877
MEPS is the stage before swearing fealty to the army/constitution, so once you get there it's pretty set in stone
>>
>>34086705
aerospace maintenance, after military career go work in a private hangar/air field. make mad dosh for something you already know
>>
File: IMG_3493.jpg (264KB, 2048x1447px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3493.jpg
264KB, 2048x1447px
>>34086705
>2A633 - Aircrew Egress Systems
Stumbled upon this guy's videos when researching what jeb I wanted
https://youtu.be/LynFzBYNOng

Just start googling, there's always guaranteed to be some fag on plebbit shilling or bitching about their mos
>>
>>34086877
Take the online preliminary AVASB, it's the same as AVASB but you get to take it in the comfyness of your own battle station. Then all you have to is verify your score at MEPs, which takes 30mins max
>>
>>34073196
CTT here. Ask quickly. I'm about to go to bed.
>>
1 more day till basic, infantry. How fucked am i
>>
>>34087147
Fucked
>>
Just what the fuck is nuke
>>
>>34087152
fuck
>>
>>34087147
GET THE FUCK OFF MY BUS YOU HAVE 5 FUCKING SECONDS TO CLEAR IT

>stands in the way of the walking lane

PUT YOUR HEAD IN THE BAG PRIVATE

IN THE BAAAAAAAAAAG
>>
File: NIGGERSUTRIGERDMEEEEEEE.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
NIGGERSUTRIGERDMEEEEEEE.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
can u niggers take this thread down. getting real fucking TRiGGGGGGERD by that fucking thing that is the op image
>>
>>34087236
How the fuck do you manage to keep a straight face when shit like this goes down? Headed to BCT soon, I can already tell I'm going to get in trouble for showing some sign of amusement
>>
>>34087282
You won't
>>
>>34087282
I'm going Army soon, my brother went Chair Force BMT and said he laughed whenever he got roasted by his MTI. I assume you won't really get fucked unless you snicker and lose composure but if you smile briefly you're usually forgiven. For example, he said his MTI went off on someone with terrible breath and the MTI said "DID YOU EVEN BRUSH YOUR TEETH THIS MORNING?" said he smiled ear to ear

but i imagine i won't be too focused on the humor side of it moreover the listening and the shutting the fuck up
>>
>>34087161
think homer simpson on a sub.
>>
>>34087161
Nuclear trained Machinist Mate, Electrician's Mate, or Electronics Technician in the Navy.

I, personally, am enjoying my time here in Goose Creek, but good people I've known personally have cracked under the pressure and claimed depression/attempted suicide/etc.

I couldn't tell you what the Fleet is like for a nuke, but as far as the schooling is concerned it's like everything in life. If you have a bad attitude and want to have a bad time, you will. If you stay positive and try to have a good time, you will.

t. ETN3
>>
>>34087161
A meme...unless your smart. I know two guys from high school that went into the program after graduating. One is constantly posting instagram lifestyle shit on normiebook (married, drives a nice ass jeep, etc.), while I saw the other on xbone live yesterday watching crunchyroll. I think you can figure out which one didn't make it
>>
How good does your eyesight need to be in the military, specificaly the navy? I'm not blind by any means but my vision at longer distances leaves something to be desired, and I don't wear contacts or glasses. Shorter to medium distance eyesight is perfectly fine.

If it depends on your mos then I suppose I should mention i'd like to be a corpsman.
>>
>>34072437
I'm considering Air Force to be a SERE Specialist. Anyone have any info as to why I should/shouldn't? I love everything that has to do with wilderness survival/trekking/hiking/camping, I'm fit, strong speaker/leader imo.

Anyone have experience with these guys/this program?
>>
>>34087373
I've got 20/200 vision that is correctable to 20/20 with glasses or contacts, I got through MEPS with no issues. As long as your vision is correctable to 20/20 then you should be good.
>>
>>34087403
Ask GarandThumb, he's a tripfag in the gear queer general threads and has a youtube channel. He is an active duty SERE Specialist
>>
>>34087415
I watch him already, actually pushed me from speculating to seriously considering.
If he's a namefag I'll keep an eye out for him
>>
>>34087562
I've heard the training is maximum suck in terms of the shit you have to do. Like treading water for 8 hours and other combinations of endurance and willpower.
>>
File: ByakkxZCcAAfhGt.jpg (29KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
ByakkxZCcAAfhGt.jpg
29KB, 600x450px
>Barely think or stress out about finally going to boot, just do PT, watch videos, hang out with friends all last month
>Only now 4 days prior is when all the worry and "oh god what have I signed up for" hits me

Navy, IT. Really worse part is not being able to sleep tonight.
>>
>>34087679
You'll be fine mate. It'll suck but it'll also be fun once you look back upon it. Just be quiet and do what you're told.
>>
>>34087282
Unless you're a Gomer Pyle style autist then any humor that exists will instantly wash away the moment the DI steps on the bus
>>
>>34072535
Because we are sent in and die first, so why not? Being lucid relieves tensions and fear of death.
>>
god the army sucks
>>
>>34084409
Why? I'm a bit skeptic about marines, the marines in the FDF suck major balls.
>>
>>34087679
Lmfao navy basic is a joke, ship 06 is where its at tho

t. MMN3
>>
>>34087324
You must be in powerschool everyone i know in prototype hates their fucking life
>>
Any brave, stupid navy engineers up in this bitch? We just brought up fire main and sea water after 6 months on blocks. Pure shitshow desu
>>
>>34086705

AF is a joke desu. I got turned away with a 99 ASVAB, no criminal record, but had 400 USD that went to collections one time and they didn't want me.
>>
>>34076668
ships
>>
>>34077954
treading water for 30 minutes and being able to do a 500 meter swim (in under 15 min) is a good place to start
>>
>>34087282
>>34088148
Drill instructors are legitmately some of the funniest people i have ever met, if there is anywhere to learn bearing its in boot camp
>>
I'm about two weeks out of graduating air force ots if anyone has any questions.
>>
>>34088582
how are the women?
>>
>>34088582
What do you want to do as an officer
>>
>>34087324
Not him but why do people crack? Like is it a ton of really boring work or something?
>>
>>34087324
In the UK, and looking to go nuke after alevels. Just wanna know if there are a lot of homosex or even rape in the subbie service - the gay memes about the navy put me off desu. The hard work/ boring task/ little communication with home does not phase me BTW.
>>
>>34086705

3D033 is not Cyber Security. Pay the fuck attention when you're picking jobs.
>>
>>34088663

Maybe like three attractive and intelligent women in the whole wing, the rest are like 22 and dumb or gross.

>>34088776

Got selected for cyber and it was exactly what I wanted.
>>
File: 1475925813509.png (220KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
1475925813509.png
220KB, 500x372px
>>34089202
>3D0X3, Cyber Surety AFSC was officially established on November 1, 2009. Cyber Surety personnel supervise or operate fixed and deployed information technology (IT) resources to monitor, evaluate and maintain systems, policy, and procedures to protect clients, networks, data/voice systems and databases from unauthorized activity. They identify potential threats and manage resolution of security violations.

>3D0X3 personnel enforce national, DoD and Air Force security policies and directives; employ hardware and software tools to enhance the security by installing, monitoring and directing proactive and reactive information protection and defensive measures to ensure Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability (CIA) of IT resources. They administer and manage the overall Information Assurance (IA) program to include Communications Security (COMSEC), Emissions Security (EMSEC) and Computer Security (COMPUSEC) programs.

Is there some grave difference between "Security" and "Surety" I should be aware of in this situation?
>>
>>34089937

Are you serious, bruh? You should kill yourself if so.
>>
>>34089937

Surety != Security. 3D0X3 are policy monkeys at best.

The Air Force is the only branch that considers IT support to be "cyber". Every other branch splits cyberwarfare efforts into their own MOS.
>>
>>34090111

AF splits off cyber too, it's called 1B4.
>>
File: spurdo anglo-saxons.png (104KB, 1033x600px) Image search: [Google]
spurdo anglo-saxons.png
104KB, 1033x600px
if a war were to break out, would it be obvious enough beforehand so that i would no to enlist in preparation?

if war were to break out suddenly without me having enlisted, would i be able to enlist ASAP and still se combat?
>>
>>34091070
>no
*know

lord almighty
>>
Where are you supposed to look when your Drill Instructor is right in front of you? All I know is that they'll crucify you if you make eye contact.
>>
>>34091070
Fun fact: the US hasn't gone a decade without a war for about 200 years.

My bet is 2-3 years if you're looking to get some.
>>
US Army 13F Forward Oberver / 131A Targeting Technician checking in. If anyone wants to know about FOs or Warrant Officers feel free to ask and I'll check back.
>>
>>34091504

A conflict is different from a deployment opportunity. We're still "in" the war in Afghanistan, but we've definitely had tens of thousands of people enter and exit the military over the last 8~ years with no chance to deploy during their contract.
>>
>>34091489
you know those magic eye sailboat shits. just do that. worked 100% of the time for me.
>>
>>34087147
20 days till Infantry OSUT for me too.
>>
>>34091726
Why do grunts act like they're the shit? They trade they learn in the military is a dime a dozen in the civilian world, and a lot of pog's see more combat that grunts do during their contract. Is it to make them feel superior for getting a low ASVAB score or something?
>>
I got officially diagnosed with Aspbergers when I was 7, will they check my medical history and disqualify me?
>>
File: 1495393297392.jpg (176KB, 600x629px) Image search: [Google]
1495393297392.jpg
176KB, 600x629px
If I were to pick the 91M or 91S MOS (mechanic for a Bradley or Stryker), where would I attend basic/AIT?
>>
>>34079410
Dependable on what unit you go too. Don't go 25B or 25L. There is zero room for advancement even if you are a model soldier. 25S is a good option but your AIT is 42 weeks at Fort Gordon and that place is terrible. Barton Field is one of the coldest places in Georgia on an early winter morning.
>>
>>34092050
I got a 87, just preferred the job.
>>
>>34089439
Trust me when I say that the few attractive women ride the cock carousel as well as go full on SAPR at the same time.

Unattractive Air Force women are typically bro-tier wingmen tho
>>
>>34091489
You give eye contact when they talk to you. Otherwise you cage your eyes forward if you're standing at attention.

I was Air Force so I don't know how other services do it, but avoiding eye contact if they're addressing you sounds straight autismo.
>>
>>34091489
stare 1000 years away at all times if youre standing at attention. We always had to address our DI at attention staring straight forward and when speaking to him unless he put us at parade rest
if we just talked with our hands or werent at attention when speaking to him, we'd get slayed
>>
This makes me sound like an some slimed bastard.

But I was wondering would it be better to exercise for a couple years enlist with an 18X contract. After enlistment contract is done go into private security?

Or enlist as an Intelligence analyst, become counter intelligence, join SF and then retire and the other stuff?
>>
>>34092833

If you do option 1, you will fail and become a cook.

If you do option 2, you will realize you like your cushy desk job and never actually drop your SF packet.

Choose wisely.
>>
Is going to war a celebratory thing in the military like in Generation Kill or is it a serious thing? Would I be called crazy for wanting to go to war, or just stupid and naive?
>>
>>34092978
Would I be stupid to put in a SF Packet.

Also is this a real thing?
https://www.thebalance.com/army-enlisted-job-descriptions-3345942
>>
>>34093041

18F is real, but you can only get there if you're already qualified in another SF MOS.

If you want to do coolguy stuff as intel there's actually a lot of opportunities aside from SF, but you can't find out about most of them until you're already in.
>>
>>34093054
Thanks.
>>
Am I able to get a TS clearance if both of my parents are immigrants?
>>
>>34072437
I am writing a part of a book that involved a large amount of f16s(24) going against an aircraft carrier that has a few f/a 18's in the air, and 3 destroyers surroinding it. How realistic would it be that these f16s sink the carrier and destroyers?
>>
>>34094149
where's the cruiser?
>>
>>34093394
Maybe, but prepare to have your pooper explored
>>
>>34094170
I thought those things were decommissioned?e
>>
>>34094188
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticonderoga-class_cruiser
>>
>>34093040
Generation Kill is very accurate to the experience, but if you got "celebratory" as a take away from it's combat scenes, you grossly misunderstood the tone.

Deployment has a lot of fuckaround time inside the wire and a lot of bullshit politics and middle management nonsense. Outside the wire you are dealing with a lot of confusion about what is supposed to be happening, conflicting orders, the same middle management idiots causing problems, and then all the sudden chaos of being shot at which is nothing like the training.

The first live firefight sequence of the show where it's a night time close ambush on the humvees is as close to a real firefight as I've seen on TV. It was a chaotic fucking mess and the star NCO was a rockstar because he unfucked the humvee convoy's movement, not because he 360 noscoped a bunch of badguys.
>>
>>34094583
No, I was talking more about the WAR IS THE MOTHERFUCKING ANSWER thing.
>>
>>34094600
Generation Kill was not celebratory about that. Characters had that attitude about it before going in because getting ready to go into combat makes guys fucking pumped. The reality is different.
>>
>>34077199
you mean you enlisted whilst having an engineering degree and now you pickd up a navy seal contract?
>>
>>34086463
This. If I were a airline pilot I would just listen to audiobooks and drink coffee all flight long. And when on ground would go collect flags (bang girls from all over the world)
>>
>>34086104
You seem to know a lot on the topic. What is the oldest a man could be to do US Marines OCS?
>>
>>34088582
What was your Major/GPA when you applied?
>>
File: 1poa2o.jpg (54KB, 702x395px) Image search: [Google]
1poa2o.jpg
54KB, 702x395px
Reminder
>>
>>34095149
True. On the brightside you get to choose your job when you voluntarily enlist. (you did get to choose your job right anon?????)
>>
File: MUH BLUE CORD.jpg (15KB, 480x319px) Image search: [Google]
MUH BLUE CORD.jpg
15KB, 480x319px
daily reminder.
>>
>>34095182
it would be cool if they give these to cyber branch to wear
>>
Are the lowered amount of combat casualties the result of the style of combat, or the improved armor and military medicine?
>>
>>34095161
Not in the military
>>
>>34095265

All of the above.

Medicine is definitely better, if you make it back inside the wire with a beating heart you've got a damn good chance. Additionally, we've eliminated most of the oldschool war "casualties" from poor sanitation and supply. A good amount of people in older wars died just because it was dirty as fuck and they didn't have blankets/food. When was the last time you heard of a US servicemember dying of starvation or exposure when deployed?

Additionally, kind of "fights" we usually engage in today are not equal numbers against near-peers. When possible, we lob missiles at mudhuts and obliterate enemies before they know what's coming. If we have a close engagement, we like to fight at 3:1 odds because we like to win. We love to fight at night because we can see and our current adversaries can't, we love to fight from the sky because they don't have any presence there, etc. Basically, we never fight fair if we can manage it.
>>
>>34095303
Sun tzu said that! And I think he knows a little bit more about war than you do, pal!
>>
>>34095303
When was the last time America fought in a war with "traditional" combat? WWII? Korea? I wonder how much the casualty total would increase if we weren't fighting insurgents.
>>
What are the options for an english speaker to join an independent group fighting in the middle east? how would an untrained person gain combat skills for this sort of thing?
>>
>>34095374

There was about a month during the Iraq invasion where we were fighting a "real" Army with aircraft, armor, etc. That's really what the US military was built for back then, so the Iraqi Army was dismantled pretty quickly. Iraq was also one of the most significant military forces on Earth at the time.

The reality is that it's pretty tough to talk about a "near-peer" fight in a world where there are so few adversaries that could be considered near-peer to the US. For pretty much any single nation on Earth, a conflict with the US would look pretty much like Iraq: a month of crushing the actual military, followed by years of asymmetric warfare.
>>
>>34087281
I hope you choke on the next dick you suck
>>
File: 1469761633254.jpg (51KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1469761633254.jpg
51KB, 1280x720px
Thinking of picking up a foreign language in my free time.

Leaning on Mandarin coz economics, was wondering if you guys recommend a useful foreign language that the military would find useful? I'm already fluent in Spanish so cross that out.
>>
>>34072437
link expired, resend
>>
>>34095546
>Mandarin
looks like you've already figured it out
>>
Is it easier to join the National Guard than it is the Army?

I have some major disqualifications and I doubt any recruiter would be able to smuggle me in. I've heard it's much easier to join the Guard so I just wanted to see what you all thought, if there was any truth to this.

I was arrested for fighting once, and charged with about a dozen things. Charge was dropped and record was sealed, but it came up when I went in to the Army recruiter. They also found out I was sent to the forensic psyche ward from the arrest record- basically cops thought I was crazy, on drugs or something, and this doesn't look very good on paper. I'm sure the (((head psychiatrist))) did a great job making me seem like a complete lunatic, so if they pull any records of my time in there I'm screwed.

I got a 98 on my ASVAB if that helps. It is probably impossible to join with this history, but thanks for reading anyway, if there is any hope please speak up.
>>
>>34097220
>if there is any hope please speak up.
joining the guard is pretty much the same as joining the army. they kind of have to have the same recruiting guidelines. you could however get another psych eval and verify that you are not "insane." it all depends on how badly they need you really.
>>
>>34097220

They're the same thing with the same standards.
>>
Did that anon who was trying to join the FFL ever report in? I assume he was accepted because I have'nt seen any updates?
>>
>>34097220
I was in osut with a few people that went to prison multiple times. A lot of other people had records. You can get it waived as long as it's not a felony I'm pretty sure. The guard will take you depending on their needs though, if they don't need people they'll be less inclined to help out with waivers. It's all about persistence though
>>
So what is the injury rate for airborne and what do infantry do in garison
>>
>>34095546
Learn French, it's always more useful to be able to communicate with allies if it's ever needed
If you're infantry then learn sandnigger
>>
>>34098395
It's "generally safe" but occasionally someone hurts their ankle, and rarely someone slips a disc in their spine, so odds are you'll be fine.

And infantry in garrison do lots of gay bullshit
>>
How long do you get, typically, between Army Basic and AIT?
>>
>>34098969

Typically 2-3 days, depending on how quickly they can get you on a bus or plane to your AIT location.
>>
File: 1399686389525.jpg (27KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1399686389525.jpg
27KB, 400x300px
I got Chair Force medical information for anyone that wants it because I refuse to do another CBT today.
>>
File: Attach0_5.jpg (49KB, 632x960px) Image search: [Google]
Attach0_5.jpg
49KB, 632x960px
Looking to enlist as 19D, aside from gay spurs, what does a typical day look like? Also, airborne vs ranger tab?
>>
I have asthma and have an emergency inhaler. I use it from time to time when I get bad allergy reactions from pet dander, when I get sick and have chest colds & bronchitis, and the rare day my asthma bothers me for no reason. I can go beyond the number of required push ups, sit ups, pull ups for my age but I struggle with long distance running especially in extreme weather. Is there an armed forces branch that would accept me or am I a civ for life?
>>
>>34099575
You'll most likely need waivers
>>
>>34099575

You're DQ'd from the uniformed services if you have asthma as an adult and need an inhaler.

Get a federal civilian job and play airsoft on the weekends if you want basically the same thing.
>>
>>34099326
A typical day of being a cav involves sucking eachothers dicks while wearing a stetson and gurgling "I'm basically infantry"

What do you mean airborne vs ranger tab?
>>
>>34098163
I remember those threads. I assume he made it because we haven't heard from him. He was a former Marine, so he should have a good chance. Maybe he'll make threads five years from now about the experience.
>>
>>34081460
Ait is pretty cool. First half just trains you for EMT. Kinda shit job outside the army. But whiskey side is where you learn all the combat medic stuff.
68w is a pretty cool mos. you'll kinda dip your toes in a lot of different environments. From line units to clinics and hospitals.

No one in my company got a ranger contract that already didn't have it so unlikely.
>>
File: M'reen.jpg (533KB, 1648x2000px) Image search: [Google]
M'reen.jpg
533KB, 1648x2000px
Hey /k/, I've lost weight and trained in the past 10 months and bought a plane ticket for marseille, I'm gonna try my luck in the FFL. Can any anons who have experience with the legion tell me how fucked I am or at least what should I be careful about? I am fit, able and have no other options so I can't mess this up. All advice is welcome.
>>
>>34100457
Are you American
>>
>>34100466
nope, I'm roach
>>
>>34100457
i would check the /k/ archives there have been ex-legionnaires that have posted before
>>
>>34099623
Going to airborne school vs RASP. I've want to jump, but the difficulty of RASP and getting put with rangers sounds like i would see more shit.
>>
>>34100658

You have to be Airborne qualified to be in Regiment anyways. If you're going to RASP, you're doing airborne too.
>>
>>34100761
Thanks
>>
>>34100805
also note, RASP doesn't get you the Ranger tab, it gets you into regiment. Ranger school gets you the tab (though if you get into regiment you'll eventually go to Ranger school)
>>
>>34100825
Do you know what RASP entails? How long is it? What i should train for before hand?
>>
>>34080076
>mikä on utin jääkärirykmentti?
>>
>>34095102
For a ground contract, the cut off is 28 or 29 without an age waiver. For Air I think it's 27, for law I'm not sure.

Max waiver goes to 34, and is heavily dependent on your PFT. If you are 33 you better have a 300 PFT or they won't bother with you.
>>
>>34091504
>>34091070

We also haven't had a real "war" since 1945. Anybody who volunteers to fight as infantry against insurgents is fucking crazy. You will get maimed by enemies you'll never even see.
>>
>>34101535
>fucking crazy

Being called crazy just gives stupid High School kids a boner and makes them want to enlist even more.
>>
>>34072476
Probably because they don't have asbestos covered and rat filled housing, that's just my guess though.
>>
>>34100882
It involves getting smoked, rucking, sleep deprivation, and land nav. It's a 2 month long selection.

You should be able to max the PT test BEFORE you to go basic if you want a good chance. Also lift some weights, it'll help a lot.
>>
A warning to all who are trying to go rasp or 18x. The price of failure is very high. The 82nd is full of guys who wash out either because they weren't ready or just hit a spot of bad luck. It is not a good place to be infantry.
Endless details and general fuckery.
Is it raining or cold? Better not let them catch you wearing cold weather gear or your rain jacket. At least not until you're thoroughly soaked because smaj or 1sg was dry til now.
Be prepared for layouts of equipment you never use at least on a monthly basis, constantly having to jump into high winds with 90 lb rucks, risking injury or worse. Not to mention 12-25 mile rucks just because someone upstairs had a visit from the good idea fairy. God help you if you get hurt. You'll be treated like shit and there's been a major shortage of PAs to see you. Guys have waited months.
Face paint in the field is still a thing for some reason too even though no one actually does it while deployed outside of scouts and sneaky sof types.
Be prepared for random calls back to work on weekends to test "readiness", losing whole weekends going out to the field on Fridays, and wasting hours of your day waiting to go home.
Make better decisions than I did. Go Intel. Go mechanic. Go officer if you can. Put away your pride and do a job you can take outside because there's a good chance you won't make it through whatever selection process you're trying for and will spend 3-5 years hating your life and having to start over.
This place breaks people physically and mentally and the turnover rate is really high because of dumb leadership and general stupidity.
>>
>>34102094
I agree with this guy, even the many of the studs in RASP didn't make it because of dumb shit. Regiment doesn't need infantry right now, and they won't until another war kicks off.
>>
>>34100457
Enjoy your meme trip. The highlights are when they take away any passports and IDs you have, and then you get killed by some Islamic fanatic in shithole Africa.
>>
What are some workouts I should do to get in shape to enlist? Should I mainly focus on endurance, with weightlifting thrown in, or vice versa?
>>
>>34102348

Just run and don't be fat. 90 % of military PT is bodyweight exercises, there's no need to get fancy with it.
>>
>>34102420
I used to do Cross Country, so I still have the base to go low-to-sub 11 minutes in the 2 mile if I'm feeling good. Should I just mainly focus on the running then, and throw the other aspects of PT in too? Would leg day benefit me for rucks?
>>
File: chinks.png (946KB, 1400x5552px) Image search: [Google]
chinks.png
946KB, 1400x5552px
>>34095546
I think you should give this a read
>>
>>34102450
It really depends on what your goals are. Do you plan on doing a pog job or are you going infantry or SOF?
>>
>>34102834
I plan on going 35F with option 4, which does a lot of field work to my understanding
>>
File: 1399372551160.jpg (199KB, 500x468px) Image search: [Google]
1399372551160.jpg
199KB, 500x468px
Assuming everything goes on without a hitch, how long would it take to go from no enlistment/anything to becoming a reserve officer?

Just got college degree, and have hire at DoD agency but EOD is set for many months off.
I'm thinking of becoming a reservist in the down time, but don't know how long it actually takes.
>>
To insure I get a grunt MOS in the Marines I gotta be real good at PT right?
>>
>>34103184
No. Marines let you pick your career field, just not specific MOS. If you sign up as infantry, you'll get infantry.

You still want to be fit though, for your own sake.
>>
>>34072437
My recruiter asked if I had spoken to a recruiter before and I said yes and they asked where so I showed them this thread and now I can't join the army anymore
>>
>>34092681

I'm married to a pretty awesome woman. I have no interest whatsoever in the hambeasts that make up my class as well as the attractive females.

>>34095132

Computer science with about a 3.2.
>>
>>34095546
>Mandarin coz economics,

You really want to deal with the most untrustworthy, incompetent, cheating, lying, backstabbing fuckers on the planet?

Sounds like a plan then...
>>
>>34076668
the general advice of most internet strangers
>>
If dubs I will enlist in the navy on my birthday and throw away my full tuition academic scholarship
>>
File: navy.jpg (114KB, 670x894px) Image search: [Google]
navy.jpg
114KB, 670x894px
>>34104222
WEW LADS IM IN IT NOW
>>
What exactly is the army regs on belts? Can I wear any coyote riggers belt?
>>
Anyone here know about .mil finances?

I've been in the mil for about half a year now making decent monies and I have 5% going towards Roth TSP but I wanted to start doing stuff with the rest of the money I'm saving up
I was told to max Roth IRA and then stick the rest in index funds.

I saw NavyFed had the option of opening a Roth IRA, can i just do it through there? Where do i do that index fund stuff and learn more about it?
Also what should my TSP funds be going to, like government or international, etc. I know government won't make you much money though.
>>
>>34104516

>I was told to max Roth IRA and then stick the rest in index funds.

This is standard financial advice if you do not have access to a 401k. However, you DO have a 401k, that's what the TSP is.

You don't want to touch index funds until you've maxed out your tax-advantaged retirement accounts. That means 5.5k/yr in an IRA, and 18.5k/yr into the 401k(TSP).

Since you're probably not putting $18,500/yr into the TSP, you need to do that before worrying about index funds. Consider increasing your TSP contributions to 25 % or more if you have the cash kicking around. Make sure your TSP is being invested into a lifecycle fund if you want "set it and forget it" retirement, or diversify it yourself among the stock fund offerings.

Do NOT leave your TSP contributions in the "G" fund, where they go by default. It's an ultra-safe investment fund that basically just tries to keep up with inflation by buying government bonds. Your money won't grow there.
>>
>>34100658
You don't get the ranger tab from RASP, you get the ranger scroll.
The ranger tab comes from ranger school.
Learn the difference between RASP and Ranger School.
>>
>>34093040
Go watch the Restrepo documentary.
Being excited to go overseas and do your job (if grunt) is fine, so long as you keep realistic expectations and and understanding of things.
>>
>>34103184
You can get the infantry field but yes there are PT standards required to keep the infantry contract. You can't just have the bare minimum of scores.
>>
>>34079062
become a navy pilot with me senpai. I'll be the guy with the weeb shit next to his bed watching girls und panzer in the uso room.
>>
>>34080133
>but if you drop you will be re-rated.
he'll be a boatswain's mate chipping paint off the bulkhead. Also, I believe you need to be a citizen to get a secret clearance, which he'll need to be a seal. furthermore, I believe non-citizens can only go marines or army.
>>
>>34104971
>>>34104971
>>34104971
New thread chaps.
>>
>>34095546
>Leaning on Mandarin coz economics
learn vietnamese instead. They're much better to deal with, a lot of manufacturing is moving there now, and you won't need to be around fucking dirty spitting chinese fucks who FLOOD KOREA AND WORK AS ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT LABOR BECAUSE THEIR NATION IS SO SHIT. GO HOME CHINKS. VIETS ARE BILLIONS TIMES BETTER THAN YOU.
>>
>>34079946
So you got a 99 for your AFQT? What about those scores on the far right?
>>
>>34088300
This makes me nervous
>>
>>34104263
>>34104222
Underrated

Godspeed you glorious bastard!
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.