[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on SKS mags?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 76809_ts.jpg (144KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
76809_ts.jpg
144KB, 1155x1155px
So what do you guys think of extended detachable magazines for the SKS? I'm thinking of picking a couple of them up. And before you ask, yes I am going to keep a hold of the original.
>>
>>34066086
They tend to be extremely unreliable
>>
>>34066086
Whatever, they're kindof ugly & awkward outside the gun.
Just don't be surprised if they don't work right.
>>
>>34066096
What causes the malfunctions?
>>
Most are shit quality and have feeding issues.
>>
>>34066086
ive experienced nothing but feed issues fucking with friends sks's
>>
Yeah, I've heard they're unreliable, bit I've also heard they work fine if you do the installation right.
>>
>>34066086
I've had luck with 30 round steel promags but I know a lot of people don't. I have a real fucking commie though and that may make a difference as the two anecdotes I'm thinking of are a yugo and a chink. Polymer ones I have run okay too but I just leave the 30 in and use clips.
>>
>>34066106
The followers for these magazines are shoddy, and tilt a lot, causing a lot of feed issues.
>>
>>34066096
For you
>>
>>34066086
ProMag = instant jam machine. Tapcos are alright.

ProMag's new ArchAngel mags are supposed to actually be decent, plus they come with their own lever. Also expensive.

I've never had issues with a Tapco magazine, because I'm not a retard and followed the installation instructions. Apparently they also work better, for whatever reason, on Chicom SKS' which is what mine is.
>>
>>34066086
Are Aftermarket-SKS mags any different from AK mags? The chinks actually converted a few of them to use AK mags (not talking about the type 63 assault rifle, semiauto only)
>>
>>34066614
Yes, aftermarket SKS mags have a duckbill up front. Norinco made a few SKS' that take standard AK mags, but they're not particularly easy to find.
>>
>>34066630
Couldn't you just take the gun to a gunsmith the make him do the modification?
>>
File: grrs internally.jpg (37KB, 599x497px) Image search: [Google]
grrs internally.jpg
37KB, 599x497px
>>34066795
Fuck my english.

>yfw when yuropoor and all your guns are deactivated
>>
>>34066106
the main cause is that the SKS was never designed to handle high capacity mags
>>
>>34066086
It is very hit and miss, and different rifles tend to be more picky than others. When i bought my yugo sks my buddy threw in this shitty steel mag that couldn't even hold the bolt back, and it has yet to fail when it comes to feeding, looks alot like the pic you posted. I recently bought a tapco 20 rounder and have yet to use it, however it seems to feed better than the shitty steel mag, though time will tell if it is crap. My sks seems to eat ammo regardless, so i am confident it will work. Nothing beats the stock box though. Try seeing if the your sks likes the mags you got it, if not just stick to the box. If you can go though many rounds with few or no problems even better. It is just weird how one may encounter an sks that loves detachable mags and another that will refuse to function with anything other than the box
>>
Baur arms 30rd mags are alright, (well 5/30 because kanuckistan fuck sake) just a bit of filing on the duckbill and feedlips and they work pretty good. Never had a problem with mine.

The metal ones though are garbage
>>
Played around with a tapco one, strippers wouldn't work right and it would jam if you loaded it more than 8. Wouldn't hold open and generally was very sub-par. Get an AK if you want an AK.
>>
File: QQCuOT9.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
QQCuOT9.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>34066086
i have one with the tapco 20 round mags

it came that way when i picked it up at my local gun store

ive never had any problems with them and at first i really hated the way it looks but its kinda grown on me a bit. I still plan on getting an original mag eventually.
>>
i had a 30 rounder, i could not for the life of me get that fucking thing to stay in the gun and when it did on rare occasion it would ftf every other round.

A SHIT
>>
>SKS aftermarket mags
"How can I take my handy, easy-to-load and reliable rifle and turn it into an unwieldy, difficult to load, unreliable piece of shit?"
>>
>>34068419
the tapcos can be modded to use stripper clips, and they should hold a bolt open if the bolt catch is clean.
>>34068652
there plenty of cases where detachable mags work, and work reliably well.
>hurr its unreliable
your autism is showing tripfag
>>
>>34069471
He isn't wrong, detachable SKS mags suck and they're stupid anyway with that retarded piece in the front. If you want detachable mags on an SKS then convert it to take AK mags because those abso-fucking-lutely work and have worked for damn near a hundred goddamn years.

Otherwise load with clips.
>>
>>34066086
I have been using promag detachable 10 rounds in mine, and I have had zero feeding issues.

With that said, the only you need to break them in. If you lock the bolt back, load the mag in when it's loaded to 10, the bolt won't go home as the spring tension is very high. Just giving it a bump forward like you have to do on an m1 garand sometimes will allow it to shut. After that, no problems. Since mine have broken in, it is no longer an issue on 3/4 of the mags.
>>
>>34068229
>X wasn't designed to handle high capacity mags
You could just say "I don't know how magazines work", wouldn't have to use so many words.
>>
>>34066173
this anon has it

Try a couple aftermarket magazines, and adjust as needed to use with stripper clips and use it like a trench magazine - a large, non-detachable magazine that you refill. Tapco's 20 rounders are generally considered to be some of the better/more consistent SKS magazines.

though DESU with the cost of SKS's in good condition running around $450 - $500, if you're not going to leave the SKS bone stock, save for a couple more months and buy an AK or a VZ 58
>>
>>34066086
I have several but haven't actually used them the whole time I've had them.

saw a guy at the range the other day with a promag 30 jamming every other round. let him borrow my factory mag and he shot with no issue.

that experience somewhat sold me against ever using aftermarket mags.
>>
>>34066795
it's not financially intelligent to do such a thing.

best bet would probably be to use a DBL mag adapter or one of those mag adapters that lets you use 7.62x39 AR mags.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.