[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

air raid sirens and securing the populations in disaster situations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8

File: 146658_600_980_65_0_1158_724_2.jpg (23KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
146658_600_980_65_0_1158_724_2.jpg
23KB, 600x375px
Dane here

does you country test their air rad sirens?
when?

ours are tested on the first Wednesday of may 12:00

does your country still have operational air raid bunkers, we do.

would be interesting to hear from bigger countries like the US
>>
>>34065599
Switzerland
Bunkercapacity of 120%
Siren tests every first wednesday of february
https://youtu.be/X1JRbodQQD4
>>
USA. Chicago. First Tuesday of every month at 1000.
>>
disappointed at no responses, thought you guys would have found this stuff interesting enough to respond to, guess it is not as interesting.
>>
>>34065854
i cant blame your vid, it rally does sound like a sheep

here is our (Danish)
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PVT0BcK-2I

VERY interesting to hear other countries, the trailing you can hear is the difference in the other sirens stopping
>>34065867
really? you still test every month? we havnt done that in oh i dunno 10 years
>>
File: DSC_0765.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0765.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>34065868
>>
>>34065905
i can read very little of it, but VERY interesting! thank you
>>
File: 1468548258939.jpg (440KB, 2048x1568px) Image search: [Google]
1468548258939.jpg
440KB, 2048x1568px
Around here the emergency response system is tested at 11:00am Thursdays.
>>
In Germany It's twice a year, usually on sunday mornings, sucks if you're hungover...

Quite a few years ago there was a non scheduled alarm, can't really remember what it was about, since I was a kid. I think it was a low flying, unidentified aircraft and/or post 9/11 paranoia
>>
>>34065979
every thursday at 11:00?
>>34065986
interesting that you test 2 times, do you have a mobile service and alarm over phone?
>>
>>34065958
Airalert! Dont waste time! Your survival depends on seconds. Who isnt already in the protective shelters/bunkers hides in the depth, bunker or cellar. Who is too far away of a bunker in the open, throws himself to the ground, if possible in a ditch and protects bare skin.If after the air alarm the water alarm sounds, so act accordingly. (At the bottom it states go to heights out of the DANGER ZONE)
>>
Southern Ohio tests tornado/disaster sirens every first Wednesday of every month. Used to have an old siren behind my house that dated from the 50's, horribly loud.
>>
>>34066017
horribly loud. Isnt that the point of a siren?
>>
>>34065986
Oh and about bunkers, Germany tried to reach the NATO recomended 3% of population protection, didn't work out. I've been to the main one in my hometown (capacity 3500) a few times, was quite impressive, it is still operational and maintained, but it only would be stocked with supplies in case of massive geopolitical detoriation (during the cold war it was always stocked IIRC)
>>
fuck this silent hill level shit, they did this the last time a tornado came close to my city and I expected ayy lmaos to be arriving
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84TSpb6UEwc
>>
>>34066032
>Not even 3% of your population are worth protecting.
>Laughs under swiss mountains with a capacity of 120%
>>
>>34066015
They test the sirens twice. I don't have anything on my phone, since I have/had a pager from the Red Cross catastrophe protection (currently on hiatus due to studies)
>>
>>34066016
Thank you!, but i am still as confused as before about "Wasseralarm" i know its water alarm, but i couldnt google find anything!
>>
>>34066048
I live close to the swiss border, maybe let a nice anon in?

The thought was, that building protection for large portions of the populace would have been a signal to the opponent, that you were willing to wage nuclear war/dare a first strike, and was seen as contrary to MAD-doctrine
>>
>>34066059
We have an alarm signal for floods, I think only zones like under a damn and in flooding zones have it if necessary.

The germans should know why its necessary to have two different sounds. During Operation Chastise a lot of germans drowned in their bunkers and lower areas.
>>
>>34066026
Yes, thanks for reminding me. It sat right outside my backyard and would shake the hell out of my house. I don't know of any bunkers or such in this area, there were a few NIKE air defense sites and a few fallout shelters in small towns, no training for them though.
>>
>>34066071
ah, okay, that sort yes, i think we have that too, not in my area though,

although we do get bridge security alerts
>>
US County I live in is much larger and has a lower population than any equivalent in Europe. Not worth doing sirens except in a few places for specific reasons. (schools, factories)
They use cell/land line emergency notification and radio alerts.
They do alerts
For Mandatory evacuations
Hurricane information
Gas leak
Boil water orders
Utility notices
Flooding events
Hazard event
Local emergency

The system can only notify specific individuals or locations depending on how you have it set.
>>
>>34065599
In the netherlands they are tested every first monday of the month at noon.

Everytime I happens I scream about the germans and crawl under my desk. I'm probably gonna lose my job but I can't stop it
>>
Toronto has the same air raid sirens as Chicago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnkMSmLc6mM`
>>
>>34065599
>does you country test their air rad sirens?
when?
Air raid sirens tested very very very rarely. Were tested once this year and last year. Before that the last tst was in 2009 or so.
Siren on the building across the road broke down this year it wont be replaced

>does your country still have operational air raid bunkers, we do.
Define operational. They are still there.
The ventilation system is either inexistent or stolen, in fact everything that could be stolen except the doors have been stolen in my town.
Generally their capacity is low.
>>
>>34066071
>I live close to the swiss border, maybe let a nice anon in?
Hell no, they'll laugh at you as they collapse the bridges with C4. It will be like Takeshi Castle but livestream.
>>
>>34066071
There was a giant buildup of bunkers during WW2 during which also was mandated that EVERY new built house needs a shelter/bunker. One highway tunnel near Luzern was built so he could take in an additional 20k people.
The only time the entirety of the population almost would have to get in the bunkers was in 1986 during the Sandoz chemical spill. A giant blaze of fire. Thank god it didnt go as far.
>>
Oulu, Finland, on mondays at 12 o'clock. I think it's monthly but i'm not quite sure, might be weekly.
>>
>>34066154
thats an interesting thin to bring up too, any major Danish bridge build after the 40-60ies is "made to collapse" it has intetional destruction points,

same reason many of out main train terminals had roofs made of wood. lol

just burn that shit. make invading not worth while, interesting concept yes
>>
>>34066193
Especially if you have no natural ressources. Aint no fool wasting manpower and material invading an armed to the teeth and rigged to explode nation.
>>
>>34066154
Hmm damn. At least surviving /k/omrades will have some nice footage of desperate anon trying to swim the rhine while laughing swiss militias take potshots at him
>>
used to work in a parking garage that was build as an underground tank depot/ vehicle bunker / bunker.

it was great for a parking garage as you could section off spaces with the giant metal blast doors, but having to move those doors, fuck me, god bless WD40
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laHuV00LwLI

Sweden, every month I think.
>>
>>34066162
In addition footage of that blaze. Especially interesting 3:42 A company of the reserves that was activated. (this is one year before the army reform 95 so they are still having nice alpenflage, Lupo and the 57)
>>
>>34066236
https://youtu.be/uvu16p-4fYw
>>
>>34066204
what makes it EVEN MORE INTERESTING is that its a doctrine that makes it way back to our wars with Sweden, we have an amusement park in the middle of out capitol city Copenhagen.

way back in the day it was out on the outskirts on the city towards Sweden(like 100 years ago), and it had a clause in its building agreement that

"everything should be able to be torn down by axe or match in less then a day"

interesting to live in a country practicing scrotch earth in a different way, not like russia thats like," will burn it down and retreat to safety" and we are just here like " we will burn it down! ...... and then what? ... well we´ve burned it ..."
>>
>>34066162
How well stocked are the Swiss bunkers nowadays? Did the end of national reduit policy change much in regards to civilian protection?

The Sandoz-incident is still on minds of the people on this side of rhine as well, we had a large training exercise once (red cross/fire depts.) with a scenario mimicking it
>>
File: yv4J2fD.jpg (13KB, 400x427px) Image search: [Google]
yv4J2fD.jpg
13KB, 400x427px
>tfw you get chills from this shit
>>
>>34066134
>Everytime I happens I scream about the germans and crawl under my desk. I'm probably gonna lose my job but I can't stop it
i really want to laugh, but my grandmother does this every month.
then again she did lose half her family in the Rotterdam blitz
>>
>>34066257
It all died with the end of the cold war. The food and water reserves previousely mandated by law were dropped, im pretty sure most couldnt even handle the bunker right if it came down to it. Last year the head of the army suggested still having a reasonable stockpile and of course the liberals were like, muh cold war not cool dude gtfo. (At least its nice to know who perishes first). Also Shelters dont have to be built with each new house anymore and you dont recieve the compensation for building one anymore. The spiritual country defence may be dead in the minds of govermenty and no good libtards but in real swiss its still there.
>>
>your country is so insignificant you don't even have air raid sirens or bunker logistics to keep the population alive in case of nuclear war
I don't know how to feel.
>>
>>34066301
What country?
>>
>>34066243
Jesus Christ, i am glad the "wool sweater and blazer jacket" died HARD with the nineties,

people always glorify the good stuff about the nineties like this
>https://youtu.be/4o-R2mmLVAM
but forget the bad, like what she was wearing
>>
>>34065599

I live in a small town in southern USA. We have several "air raid sirens", but they're used to warn us about really bad weather and if our nearby nuclear facility blows up or some shit.

They have one day where they test them every month too.
>>
>>34065867
it's really a general disaster/severe weather signal

btw how you holding up, Chicago bro?
>>
>>34066295
Cool, thanks for the answer. I hope you can use your direct democracy to at least have a minimum of preparedness. Another question, here in DE we here all kinds of myths about that mountain fortress of yours, is it true that the tunnel shelters along the Autobahn are/were fully stocked for SHTF survival, or are they just more or less blast-proofed rooms in case of massive car crashes/the one or other stray nuclear bomb?
>>
>>34066387
They were stocked. Now its just a minimum. The army also used to have loads of storage facilities for all kinds of stuff, sugar, potatos, rice, water and so on. Now everything is decentralized amongst several retail companies. I think thats safer.
>>
us danes have a government maintained app to both help blind people, deaf people and just people out of reach of the sirens, gives all the same warnings, weather/war/ 2 minuts untill the nukes hit. etc

does your countries have similar?
>>
>>34066423
Good to know, thanks!
>>
There's a flash, then a bang, then a blast of heat
Then a bloody great mushroom cloud
So if you happen to see one at the end of your street
Would you please pick up the telephone
And inform your local police
>>
>>34065599
My home city has warning sirens which are usually used for weather events. I assume they also could be used to warn of an air raid. They're tested monthly.
>>
>>34065599
hi their USA here some places they are used for tornado and they test them
>>
>>34066463
interesting that they are mostly used for tornado warning,
we dont have tornadoes over here, so interesting to hear about !
>>
>>34065599
>USA
>Rural
I don't think we ever had either.

Nobody would hear it and by the time they got to a central location the raid would be over.
>>
>>34066032
>Germany tried to reach the NATO recomended 3% of population protection, didn't work out.
What a surprise, Germany failing to reach its NATO pledges.
>>
Ohiofag

Every Saturday at 12:00

Take a guess when the last tornado hit.
>>
>>34066478
Tornadoes happen in the US more than the rest of the world...

One of these days we will find a way to shoot a tornado dead via volley fire.
>>
>>34066531
technically tht would not be out of the question, with wind-wall disturbance in turbulance and all. i miss the days when ideas like that could actually be carries out, seiously though, it mught work out, you could may-probably-sorta-kinda find a way to do it sonically, without explossions, ... maybe

the troublle is that the energy to counter-act a tornado would be enough to couse more damage then the tornado
>>
>>34065599
Never heard and air raid siren (granted I'm in the middle of the country, pretty low risk here) but they test the emergency broadcast sirens the first Monday of every month. No bunkers that I know about aside from Norad, but I don't think they are going to let me in there.
>>
>>34065599
US Indiana here. My town has general purpose sirens that are usually just used for tornadoes, Thy're tested once in the spring and once in the fall.
>>
are they on buildings? or just masts?
>>
File: 96373_ts.jpg (81KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
96373_ts.jpg
81KB, 1155x1155px
>>34065599
>does your country still have operational air raid bunkers
A couple of my schools growing up in the US had these signs, but the "shelter" parts were never kept stocked.
>>
>>34065599
Burger here
>does you country test their air rad sirens?
We don't have air raid sirens, closest we have are Tornado sirens, and when I lived in a flood-prone area a special flood/flash-flood siren
>when?
First Wednesday of every month at noon. The flood sirens were tested every other month on the 2nd Monday for the warm months.
Wolololol, the cattle don't get bunkers, the elected/high ranking federal officials must provide continuity of Govt. to charred skeletons.
>>
>>34066508
I agree with you, 2% is minimum. The Bundeswehr is in such a desolate state, Muschi von der Leyen is the absolute worst CinC that could possibly exist (barring hitler anyway, but at least he had some decent generals), can't express how much I hate her...

The naiveté of the populace concerning defence is astronomical, people think that, because of our "open" culture and what not people don't attack us, not realising it's B2s with B83s from 'murica that are the real deterrence. On the other hand during the Cold War the Bundeswehr was quite formidable
>>
>>34065599
Here you go OP.
In burger land, as you are noticing, sirens are usually for weather issues, although it could fairly be considered a general purpose warning. Their just has not been A realistic chance for an air raid in most of the USA.

I grew up in a small town that had a tornado siren, but it was also set off every day at exactly noon. Known as the "noon whistle" it was something that people kind of organized around. It was not unusual to be told "come home at the noon whistle" by your parents. This was a rural area, so before modern mass media people even used it to set clocks/watches in the home.

Seems less important know that everyone has a cell phone, but it was a big part of growing up in a small rural town. Simplicity.
>>
I've only heard an air raid siren once in Australia, about fifteen years ago in my home town, and it was an old system turned on by accident for a few seconds by an electrician or something.

We have phone warnings when bushfires are on and other emergencies. Broadcasts to every mobile phone connected to that specific tower.

We don't have bunkers or anything, even basements are rare in Australia. We're too spread out to be bombed anyway, some cities here have crazy low population density.
>>
>>34066725
interesting
>>
>>34066786
>We don't have bunkers or anything, even basements are rare in Australia.
i remember my australian uncle being terrified of going underground when visiting a mining museum when he visited the netherlands
>>
>>34066805
cool
>>
San Francisco has a Tuesday noon siren test. Or it did when I lived there 5 Years ago. Now I live out in the sticks. Once or twice a year there is a ham fest and that is the emergency response test.
>>
>>34066044
sounds like an ambulance being strangled
>>
File: 6547703829_ee4094b815_b.jpg (274KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
6547703829_ee4094b815_b.jpg
274KB, 768x1024px
Los Angeles here. They used to test the sirens when I was really little, but they stopped in the early '90s. Many of the sirens still exist, but I doubt they still work.
>>
>>34065599
It's usually the lunch bell and tornado sirens, so every day.
>>
>>34065599
>when?
When there is a hurricane or tornado.

We have a couple thousand miles of land between anyone else, we don't need them.
>>
>>34066560
Not to mention that the tornado would probably be over before anybody could do anything about it.
>>
>>34066560
>the troublle is that the energy to counter-act a tornado would be enough to couse more damage then the tornado
>>>
Air burst.
>>
File: 35573546.jpg (13KB, 337x253px) Image search: [Google]
35573546.jpg
13KB, 337x253px
>>34066258
>tfw it will never happen
>>
>This thread
Yay I have a new ringtone now
>>
>>34065599
Minneapolis, Minnesota. First Wednesday of every month.
My dog howls at it, then runs into the basement.

He's a good boy.
>>
In austria they are tested every saturday at 1200
>>
>>34066253
Why watch the country burn from afar when the fire's so much prettier up close? Besides, if people get cornered, they fight that much harder. I wouldn't put it past our government that the idea was to go full insurgent. I mean, that's basically the idea of our hjemmeværn (national guard). In the event of an invasion, they become resistance cells that equip and train civilians for sabotage and the like.
Just bad luck for us that the main invasion plan of the russians was to nuke the shit out of everything and thanks to sympathizers/moles in our government, they knew just where to hit all the right places. For instance, all the mustering points for our armed forces. In a non-conventional war, we'd be pretty fucked.
>>
New Zealand. No air raid sirens but tsunami siren tests are common near the coast in some areas.
>>
>>34065894
In fact, the danish is tested every day for functionality. Its only the audible test which is done once a year.
>>
>>34066699
The last proper prussian inspired german Army ceased to exist in 1990.
>>
>>34065599
Finland here, hi.

Every major building has inbuild air raid shelter, also double as ABC shelter in most cases.
Most major cities test sirens every monday at 12pm.

We're ready for SkyNet.
>>
>>34065599
>US
I live in the same area as a nuclear power plant so the local alert sirens are tested every weekend.
>>
>>34065599
jews have them, but they are just used to scare the population
>>
>>34065599
France, we test our sirens every first wednesday of the month. I dont know about bunkers tho
>>
>>34065979
if you put the sand in a jar doesn't it become jar sand?
>>
>>34072457
forgot the vid:
https://youtu.be/hABOEe732Sc?t=40s
>>
>>34072479
If you put pocket change into a jar does it become jar change? Probably.

I think the ultimate purpose of the sand gives it the pocket designation. Knowing Dale and other autists, he mixed and tested different grain sizes and rock types before selecting a recipe for optimal pocket retention and blinding effect.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.