[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the a difference between a pellet gun and airsoft? My dad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: Nk7WJhQ.jpg (17KB, 270x320px) Image search: [Google]
Nk7WJhQ.jpg
17KB, 270x320px
Is the a difference between a pellet gun and airsoft? My dad wants a pellet gun to fuck around with in his basement when he can't get up to the range, and I'm not sure whether to tell him to check out the local TACTICAL AIRSOFT AND PAINTBALL shop before driving to Cabela's.
>>
>>34065260
Pellet guns shoot small pieces of lead
Airsoft shoots mall pieces of plastic
>>
duh, one shoots pellets (little lead mushroom things) and the other shoots BBs (steel/plastic balls)
>>
>>34065277
Alright, I'll pass that on. Thanks.
>>
>Airsoft
Made to shoot plastic BB's, usually at other people for fun

>Pellet Gun
Also refered to as air riffles, shoot small caliber metallic BB's, or in some cases lead pellets. Used to target shoot or hunt small game. NIT A TOY.
>>
I have a pellet rifle which is for pest control and you can still fire it in your basement
>>
>>34065260

Airsoft is safe to shoot at other people for fun as long as you use face protection. Pellet guns are useful for killing small game and should not be fired at other people.
>>
>>34065260
its power. peletguns are dangerous. you can kill small game with them. a pellet gun is usally a minimum of 400 fps and can exceed 1000. airsoft is around 328 stock for legal reasons. you can go higher but thats with mods. you could shoot airsoft point blank into your arm and it would bounce off. a pellet gun will penatrate like a inch into your arm. not enough to kill you but fucking painful. bb guns and pellet guns are not the same thing. even though some guns fire both there is a reduction in power and accuracy with bbs.
>>
>>34065336
Is ricochet a concern with pellet guns? Say it were to strike an unfinished basement wall.
>>
File: 900fps 22pellet.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
900fps 22pellet.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>34065260
>Is the a difference between a pellet gun and airsoft?
A pellet gun will actually hurt and possibly kill you depending on shot placment, it launches a very dense lead projectile with a fair amount of energy behind it through a rifled barrel accurately. And it releases that energy as it penetrates fairly deeply into flesh.
An airsoft gun launches a low-ish fps, very light, plastic ball that carries very little energy and disperses all of that energy on the surface of your skin. It hurts, but won't cause any real damage unless you do something extreme like a hit in the eye. And being a rounded projectile shot through a smooth bore, don't expect any real accuracy. And it'll slow down fast because even the air resistance will suck the energy out of an airsoft bb quickly so it'll slow down and drop fast.
>My dad wants a pellet gun to fuck around with in his basement
Not sure if I'd want to do it indoors so much with lead pellets. But he could use non-lead pellets all day indoors and have a lot of fun. It's a great idea.
>>
>>34065343
>Is ricochet a concern with pellet guns?
Not at all with lead pellets, metal bbs are the things that tend to come right back at you though if you were to shoot a hard steel/wood target.
Lead deforms and loses it's energy that way with zero energy to return at you, even non lead pellets should do roughly the same.
>>
File: homeair08.jpg (21KB, 300x326px) Image search: [Google]
homeair08.jpg
21KB, 300x326px
>>34065343
depends on your backstop
if you are going to be shooting in your garage get one of these
they are only 20 bucks
will stop the pellets from going through your drywall anyways
>>
File: Daisy Eagle.jpg (55KB, 1024x635px) Image search: [Google]
Daisy Eagle.jpg
55KB, 1024x635px
>>34065260
>Pellet Gun
Usually in .177 caliber, can come in others.
Magazines, if your model has one, are generally 6-12 pellets.
Generally a higher FPS and PSI than BB Guns. Great for target shooting and small game/pests
Pellets come in a variety of different head shapes, pointed hunting tips, flat target tips, etc
Can be pneumatic or gas powered. Gas powered (CO2) can come in semi-auto varieties.

>BB Gun
Usually in .177 caliber
Generally a middling FPS and PSI, good for target shooting and can be used small game/pests
Usually a very high magazine capacity
Pneumatic of gas powered. Gas powered can come in semi-auto

>Airsoft Gun
Usually in 6mm
Designed to "look and feel" like the real thing
Generally a lower FPS and PSI, good for shooting and being shot at by your buddies
Magazines can be anywhere up to 200 pellets or more
Spring, gas, or electric powered. Gas and Electric allow for semi and full auto.

Here's what I grew up with
>Daisy Eagle .117 cal 10-Pump BB/Pellet Rifle. Lasted over 20 years before breaking completely. My favorite of the bunch.
>Tokyo Marui 4.3 Hi Capa Gas Powered Airsoft Pistol. Really fun gun, has the same weight and feel of a real .45. It actually simulated recoil pretty good too. Was great for games and backyard plinking.
>Colt Python .177 CO2 Pistol. 8 shot double-action pellet gun, great fun and my go-to for taking out red-squirrels at my cabin
>Classic Army G36. Fuck the integrated scope, shit sucks. Otherwise I had a good deal of fun with this rifle, both in games and just plinking.
>>
>>34065382
This
Have had plenty of copper BB's ricochet back at me in my time. Never had a pellet do that. Nearly pulled a Ralphie one time too. Thankfully it hit me in the hand right below my eye instead (no eyepro).
>>
>>34065260
Pellet guns are cheaper and tend to be more powerful than airsoft.

That said, airsoft gun shoots plastic bbs, pellet guns shoot brass bbs/lead pellets.
>>
>>34065657
>>Airsoft Gun
>Usually in 6mm
wat
>>
>>34065343
Only if you're shooting brass bbs. In all honesty, just pack in some heavy cardboard behind it and there's shouldn't be any recoil (unless the gun you're firing is incredibly weak).
>>
File: airsoft_MB_8mm_BB.jpg (57KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
airsoft_MB_8mm_BB.jpg
57KB, 700x500px
>>34065702
8mm airshit used to be a thing
>>
>>34065702
Yeah, .12-.2gram 6mm pellets.
>>
>>34065718
I thought 8mm was still around. Like, mainly used in heavy spring "sniper" rifles. Haven't done any airsoft since highschool so idk what's going on with the game currently.
>>
>>34065702
Diameter is in reality less than 1mm. I'm guessing it's going of of circumference or something. They're slightly larger than birdshot, but definitely smaller then 00 buck.
>>
>>34065739
Take that back, roughly 4.76mm (3/16") after taking a ruler to it.
>>
>>34065759
your confusing bb gun ammo with airshit bbs
>>
>>34065739
>>34065759
Ah, that makes much more sense.
>>
This is a very educational troll thread
>>
>>34065382
>Be me stupid youngling
>Press the barrel of my Daisy lever action to a tree so it's "sealed"
>Fire
>Went deep enough into the bark to ricochet and not hit my barrel on the way out, but fly back and tag me in the chest

Spooked me good, never did that shit again.
>>
>>34067405
I no foolin' linked my dad directly to this thread. It's been very helpful.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.