[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does this K98 stock need refinishing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x2058px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x2058px
I'm thinking yes, but I don't know what I should use and/or if I should sand it/strip off any remaining finish. If it needs refinishing, should I go for linseed oil (like the original K98s) or something else?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x774px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x774px
The other side, I cleaned the cosmoline off with mineral spirits if that matters. The little reddish area is some of it seeping out from the sun.
>>
I hear pure tung oil does wonders, but I have yet to use it. But BLO has never done me wrong.
>>
>>34064843
I forgot about tung oil, my stock just looks so dry. Do you think it needs some touching up?
>>
>>34064856
Drier wood should soak up your varnish really well!
I cut mine 50/50 with mineral oil for the first coat and then add more and more varnish in successive coats until that nigger sparkles
>>
>>34064801
That stock is not in need of refinishing. It is in need of any finish, at all.

Remove the last traces of the old finish (not much work there) with <insert wood stripper of choice>, and then put a coat of BLO on there.

DO NOT put on another coat of BLO until the first has had 48 full hours to dry. I see people online brag about how they "PUT ON 9001 COATS OF BLO!!!" in three days or some stupid shit, ignorantly oblivious of the fact that they really only have one coat that they kept rubbing around with fresh oil.

Better yet, just throw the fucking thing in a fire, I dont' want to have to worry about you fucking it up.
>>
nth for BLO
>>
>>34064801
>>34064812
>>34064812
you alreayd fucked it up by removing the shellac with the mineral spirits, so yes now it needs a finish
>>
>>34064925
Have a picture of the end result?
>>
>>34064978
Aside from the last comma splice of "advice" this sounds like a good course of action. Thanks.
>>
>>34065135
I'm at work, sadly, but if this thread is still up when i get home, I'll postato
>>
>>34065182
Thanks.
>>
>>34064801
the shellac that was on the stock was removed by you using mineral spirits.
Stock value is now poop
>>
>>34066116
>The garbage some drunk Russian "armorer" put on has flaked off
>now the good wood underneath is worthless
>>
>>34066736
I know right? I bought some wood stripper and BLO, it'll be better than when I got it.
>>
>>34065145
Welcome. I was just kidding about that last part. No I wasn't.

Anyway, the key to getting a good BLO finish is TIME. Let that first coat (and second, honestly) dry for a solid 2 days, and make sure you wipe off as much excess as you can when you put on each coat. The 3rd through 4th 5th whatever coat you can get away with 24 hours drying time.

You're literally doing oil painting. That shit needs time.
>>
>>34067107
So apply it, let it dry and wipe off excess? Or wipe the excess before drying?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.