[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Black powder from scratch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_8952.png (119KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8952.png
119KB, 250x188px
How do I make black powder completely from scratch?
How do I make saltpeter from scratch using bird/animals shit or piss
How do I refine sulfur from rock or other substances
What other ingredients will I need

Then I want to make my own cannon, how thick should each part be, how long.

I want to do it in an old fashion way using only what I can find on my farm
>>
>>34064389
Nice try DHS and FBI
Muzzies are lurking in sanctuary cities, not around here much
>>
>>34064389
For black powder you need
>Saltpeter (potassium nitrate)
>Sulfur
>Charcoal

Potassium and other nitrates can be made from refining urine. Charcoal, can be made from
burning wood (duh).
Sulfur is your hardest to acquire. Unless you live somewhere it occurs naturally in the rock, you will have to buy it online.

As for the processes and how to, youtube is your friend. I have seen videos from how to refine and mix it from scratch to how to make high quality black powder using industrially refined materials.

Here is the big catch, all black powder is not equal. Even the highest quality at home batches are barley "reenactor" grade.
If you want to shoot with any more force than an air rifle, buy black powder online.
>>
>>34064476
>Charcoal, can be made from
>burning wood (duh).
Not OP, but can coal from the ground work, there's no wood around here.
>>
>>34064449
I'm just trying to see if I can do it, I need a new hobby project
>>
>>34064525
How can't you possibly have wood?
>>
Can't you acquire sulfur by letting bodies rot?
>>
>>34064525
>can coal from the ground work
Coal is not just carbon, there are impurities (ironically sulfur being a common one). The impurities vary by type of coal and area.

>>34064531
>I'm just trying to see if I can do it
Be very careful. Black powder can be very dangerous. It is not like modern smokeless powder that just burns really really fast, it will explode. I discovered the hard way after getting second degree burns all over my face and right arm.
>>
>>34064449
i dont think the DHS is dumb enough to think black powder is an effective explosive for bombs
>>
>>34064566
Because my neighbor is a fucking skinwalker and steals all the wood at night, but I've got plenty of coal from the cave. I don't want to talk about it.

>>34064603
So since I don't know how much of the yellow stuff is in the coal I can't tell how much I need and risk blowing myself up or causing a cave-in?
>>
>>34064639
Just burn something you neighbor is not going to steal, like an old wooden chair that has sat out in the rain (it will make an acceptable amount of charcoal for safe quantities). If you are looking to make pounds, you need to know the limiting factor is slat peter. It takes like a month of pissing into a bucket to get enough to make about a pound of black powder.

Also if I remember my chemistry right, the sulfur acts as a catalyst.
>>
>>34064712
Apparently sulfur less black powder exists.
>>
>>34064639
>So since I don't know how much of the yellow stuff is in the coal I can't tell how much I need

It isn't just the amount, the difference in how the sulphur is distributed throughout the black powder will probably also have a considerable effect on how it behaves.

Anyway, this probably won't be what mains you. Instead you'll have some tiny bit of sand or gravel in one of the ingredients. With a bit of bad luck that's all it takes to make the entire batch go off in your face as you're grinding it together. Powder mills were notorious for blowing up on a regular basis, and that was with people who knew their shit running the place.

Should you make it past that, well, a guy who doesn't know what he's doing trying to cast or forge weld a cannon? Oh dear.

And speaking of that, how's the metal ore deposits on your farm? If all you have is iron then better start planting trees, because you sure as hell don't want any sulphur impurities from the coal in that in a cannon. I don't know if sulphur is bad for bronze on the other hand, but let's face it, no fucking way you have an accessible tin deposit. Regardless, you're going to discover that metalworking consumes preposterous amounts of fuel.

>>34064712
>Also if I remember my chemistry right, the sulfur acts as a catalyst.
It sputters and sparks as it burns, throwing small globs of molten, burning sulphur around, which helps spread the fire throughout the powder. Without it the burn rate would drop to useless. This also means that the powder mustn't be too compact.
>>
>>34064476
So how did they make blackpowder for cannons back in the 1800's? buy it online?
>>
>>34064935
read
>>34064916

I am trying to save trouble and keep another anon safe. If all you want to do is make it to say you have made some, then whatever go ahead.
>>
>>34064935
They had people who knew what they were doing, and the proper equipment to do it.
>>
>>34064603
I'll be plenty careful, I don't plan on making much at a time
>>
>>34064916
I'm planning on using a large tree trunk for the cannon.
Reinforce it with bands of metal
I only need it to fire once, just so I can say I did it
>>
>>34065285
Well, it's your funeral.

Just remember, the nitrating bacteria hate potassium, the metal ions they do like will combine with the nitrate they shit out to make other stuff that ain't nearly as good as potassium nitrate, and all that piss is going to be real rich in sodium chloride, which fucks gunpowder up good and proper. Have fun figuring that bit out.
>>
>>34064389
Fuck sulphur. Use charcoal and saltpetre.

>Charcoal
I have made this before, and it is quite simple. Get some sort of metallic sealed can, like a paint can but clean it of any paint especially if you want to use said charcoal for BBQ. Poke a hole or several holes in the lid of the can. Put wood in the can. Set it over a fire. Essentially, you 'bake' the wood. Steam will come out of the top of the lid, the steam will be flammable so it's normal to see it catching fire. I can't remember how long it takes, something like 45 minutes I think, perhaps wait until the steam coming out is no longer catching flame, but eventually you take the can out from above the fire and set it down to cool. Once cool, pop the lid open, and presto; home made charcoal. You can make charcloth with a similar method; charcloth and flint&steel is an age-old way of getting flame.

>Saltpetre
I have NOT made this before, but here's how I understand it. Mix feces with stale urine, and you essentially leave it to rot. Add more stale urine, and stir the mixture from time to time. Eventually, you will start to get little white crystals and/or white fuzz. After a certain amount of time (months?), you take this horrid mixture of rancid feces and stale urine, and boil it. Once boiled, you use sheets to remove any solids that are left, but try not to remove any liquids. Keep the liquids, and let it boil and boil and boil, watch how the water line lowers. This is a similar method to making sea salt out of salt water. Let the water line go down and down and down, probably stir to make sure nothing burns onto the bottom, and once you get low enough you stop boiling. Leave it to the Sun to dissolve the last bits of water slowly instead of risking the fire to burn what remains. You'll be left with a white crystalline substance. It is saltpetre, or in the case of boiling down sea water, it's sea salt.

>Mixture
7 parts charcoal and 3 parts saltpetre? I can't remember but around there I think.
>>
>>34064476
>Potassium and other nitrates can be made from refining urine
I knew stocking all those bottles would be useful someday
>>
>>34064389

Cody´s Lab did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wW5KR1pDxs Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5iJZjw8k40
Part2
>>
>>34065885
How is the process different when using shit instead of piss?
I have chickens and I want to use there shit for this
>>
>>34064639
>Because my neighbor is a fucking skinwalker and steals all the wood at night, but I've got plenty of coal from the cave.

Please elaborate anyways cave dweller.
>>
>>34064389
Wow, you live on a farm, that's pretty cool.

Do you have any dogs by any chance?
>>
>>34066380

I think yield wouldn´t be so high. Anyways, you should compost that manure at least a year and then proceed to do the same extraction process.
>>
>>34064525
Nope, needs to be charcoal.

>>34064531
It takes a lot of piss and shit to refine into saltpeter, and it takes months. Also, you literally need to have an open, shallow pit of decomposing sewage.

>>34064603
>I discovered the hard way after getting second degree burns all over my face and right arm.

This sounds like operator error. What were you doing?

>>34065633
You need woodash and feces as well.
>>
>>34064967
>I'm the master of someone else's safety
>I dictate what he can and can't do
You're a stuck up faggot, you know that? You do but you probably avoid it. Let him do dangerous things if he wants to.
>>
>>34065316
This here. Sulfur just makes the powder easier to ignite. The most important part of making powder is how you make your charcoal. Its been a while since I read about it. But I believe the longer you bake your wood the better.
>>
>>34064476
you don't need sulfur.
the quality of charcoal is important, get the sticks from an art store & powder them.
saltpeter has decent guides on YT
>>
File: wtf 22.jpg (42KB, 720x401px) Image search: [Google]
wtf 22.jpg
42KB, 720x401px
>>34064639
>Because my neighbor is a fucking skinwalker and steals all the wood at night, but I've got plenty of coal from the cave. I don't want to talk about it.
>>
>>34066684
He doesn't want to talk about it
>>
>>34064389
Sulphur isn't 100% required, it just increases the burn rate. Theoretically you could just make saltpetre from your piss/buy it from whatever the burger equivalentof Bunnings is (marketed as stump remover). And burn some wood in a paint can to make high grade charcoal. Wrap a line of the stuff in some tissue paper for a makeshift fuse
>>
>>34066732
He has a farm, an unnaground and a skinwalker. Motherfuckers needs to tell us stories.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.