[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how accurate was this film in portraying the battle of okinawa?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: hacksaw ridge.jpg (100KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
hacksaw ridge.jpg
100KB, 640x640px
how accurate was this film in portraying the battle of okinawa?
>>
100%
I was just there.
I time traveled here to tell you your thread sucks.
>>
>>34058606

thanks for bumping my thread :)
>>
File: stalingrad.jpg (127KB, 800x542px) Image search: [Google]
stalingrad.jpg
127KB, 800x542px
Exaggerated the same way We Were Soldiers was, which is well documented.

Things like increasing the number of enemy forces, increasing the number of American KIA/WIA, etc., and using undocumented/poorly documented sources.

Okinawa (the entire battle) had x3 the causalities of Omaha Beach alone. And at Omaha, only the first wave (Able Company) really got wiped out.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1960/11/first-wave-at-omaha-beach/303365/

Was it brutal? Sure. Was it a total fucking slaughter and the worst fight in the entire Second World War?

Not even close.
>>
This movie was Forest Gump.

Retard who saves the day.

Fucking sucked.
>>
>>34059090
just cause something isnt accurate doesnt mean it's bad. Unless you let your autism get in the way and you can tenjoy anything unless it's 100% accurate at all times.
>>
>>34059080
Holy fuck that's like a thousand people.
>>
>>34058571
Lots of anecdotal scenes from memoirs and books. The main characters exploits are actually toned down some from real life as the producers though no one would believe it.
>>
File: 1492652692631.png (292KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1492652692631.png
292KB, 540x540px
>>34058571
>based on

About as accurate as me telling you what I think happened, and I know litterally nothing about the subject at hand other than some weapon specifications and how battleships are constructed/designed because I'm autistic.

Any time you see that magic phrase, just assume everything is embelished to tell an interesting story. If you want accuracy in anything, look up a documentary. Because that's what those are for. Movies are for telling entertaining stories.
>>
>>34061006

>repeating bullshit the producers said to hype up their movie
>>
File: vincevaughnsimulator.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
vincevaughnsimulator.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>34058571
>>
>>34061047
>Not knowing the story behind the movie
>>
>>34061047
Its not completely unreasonable to think some people were saying some pretty hype shit when all they did was shit themselves behind a rock.
>>
>>34061081

I do. My grandfather was there.
You don't know shit.
You're literally just parroting shit you heard on the internet.
>>
>>34061047

Not included in the movie
>On May 2, he exposed himself to heavy rifle and mortar fire in rescuing a wounded man 200 yards forward of the lines on the same escarpment;
>2 days later he treated 4 men who had been cut down while assaulting a strongly defended cave, advancing through a shower of grenades to within eight yards of enemy forces in a cave's mouth, where he dressed his comrades' wounds before making 4 separate trips under fire to evacuate them to safety.
>On May 5, he braved enemy shelling and small arms to assist an artillery officer. He applied bandages, moved his patient to a spot that offered protection from small arms fire and, while artillery and mortar shells fell close by, painstakingly administered plasma.
>Later that day, when an American was severely wounded by fire from a cave, Pfc. Doss crawled to him where he had fallen 25 feet from the enemy position, rendered aid, and carried him 100 yards to safety while continually exposed to enemy fire.
> On May 21, in a night attack on high ground near Shuri, he remained in exposed territory while the rest of his company took cover, risking the chance that he would be mistaken for an infiltrating Jap and giving aid to the injured until he was himself seriously wounded in the legs by the explosion of a grenade.
^Grenade wound in movie^
> Rather than call another aid man from cover, he cared for his own injuries and waited 5 hours before litter bearers reached him and started carrying him to cover.
> The trio was caught in an enemy tank attack and Pfc. Doss, seeing a more critically wounded man nearby, crawled off the litter; and directed the bearers to give their first attention to the other man.
>Awaiting the litter bearers' return, he was again struck, by a sniper bullet while being carried off the field by a comrade, this time suffering a compound fracture of one arm. He bound a rifle stock to his shattered arm as a splint and then crawled 300 yards over rough terrain to the aid station.
>>
>>34058571
The BAR and corpse shield combo was actually used a lot, to the point where it was incorporated into basic training. Only problem was findng suitable corpse substitutes, in the end they used pig carcasses, that's why BAR gunners were affectionately known as 'baconaters'.
>>
>>34061086

All of that sounds way more believable than what happened in the movie.

Let me share a fun fact with you.
He specifically didn't want hollywood to make a movie about him, because he knew it would be totaly bullshit.
Shortly after he died, his son allowed hollywood to make the movie.
>>
>>34061113
>All of that sounds way more believable than what happened in the movie.
You mean what actually happened?

> As our troops gained the summit, a heavy concentration of artillery, mortar and machine gun fire crashed into them, inflicting approximately 75 casualties and driving the others back. Pfc. Doss refused to seek cover and remained in the fire-swept area with the many stricken, carrying all 75 casualties one-by-one to the edge of the escarpment and there lowering them on a rope-supported litter down the face of a cliff to friendly hands.

>He specifically didn't want hollywood to make a movie about him, because he knew it would be totaly bullshit.
After the war, Doss turned down many requests for books and film versions of his actions, because he was wary of whether his life, wartime experiences, and Seventh-day Adventist beliefs would be portrayed inaccurately or sensationally. Doss' only child, Desmond Doss Jr., stated: "The reason he declined is that none of them adhered to his one requirement: that it be accurate. And I find it remarkable, the level of accuracy in adhering to the principle of the story in this movie."[42] Producer David Permut stated that the filmmakers took great care in maintaining the integrity of the story, as Doss was very religious
>>
>>34061143

>Doss' only child, Desmond Doss Jr., stated
This is exactly what I'm complaining about.
The movie is an insult to the man.
A corporate vehicle assisted by his son who cared more about money than respecting his father's wishes.
>>
File: 1495219113177.jpg (10KB, 321x157px) Image search: [Google]
1495219113177.jpg
10KB, 321x157px
>>34061086
>Shuri
I figured a jap girl in shuri Jo once
>>
>>34061157
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302427/
The Conscientious Objector (2004) - Desmond T. Doss - Himself.

Maybe, just maybe, he decided later in life it was possible to get something accurately made.
>>
>>34061178

Wow, you mean he gave his approval to have his likeness in a much more realistic movie, without tons of over the top hollywood horseshit, but didn't approve of this movie, which was only made and released years after he died?

Amazing.
Guess you just completely btfo my entire argument. Nice going dude.
>>
>>34059080
I understand what you're saying about the exaggeration but OKinawa was a pretty bad battle. 70k casualties US and 100k+ on Japanese side. it was oneof the largest in pacific. And no, I don't care 6 gorllion died at Stalingrad. Everyone knows why that meat grinder happened.
>>
File: hacksawridge.jpg (171KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
hacksawridge.jpg
171KB, 600x750px
You know that huge ridge in the movie? It was actually like 5 to 6 times taller than irl.

It's still amazing what he did, but hollywood always finds a way to shit all over the truth. The man was already bigger than life, why did you need to embelish this shit?

That said, the thing that irks me most is the poor battle choreography.
>>
>>34061598
Movies are all the same - all flash and no thought. This is why the only good "historical" moving pictures are in series form.
>>
>>34059090
>This movie was Forest Gump.
>Fucking sucked.

Forrest Gump is a great film, kys
>>
>>34058571
>Still shilling for this propaganda this late
This movie was trash and you know it
>One handing a BAR while using a corpse for a shield
Yeah that was so realistic
>putting a body on a grenade will save you
LOL
>Medics actually saving people
Please tell me this is bait
>>
>>34063536
you prolly liked forest gump cuz hes a beta retard cuck like you. bet you also think shootin a .22 pistol has lotsa recoil huh you little faggot?
>>
>>34063602
>being this reddit
It was a wonderful movie and your distaste toward it obviously shows insecurity. Go buy more ammo you'll never shoot.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.