[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PTR 91 GI R - why shouldnt i buy one?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 13

File: ptrgir-(3-of-9)promo.gif (472KB, 1000x540px) Image search: [Google]
ptrgir-(3-of-9)promo.gif
472KB, 1000x540px
Should i get a ptr 91 gi r model?
I want this as a dmr/my 308 rifle.
i have a few questions.
1 is the retractable stock worth it and is it difficult to install?
2 how can i lower the lb on the trigger so i can get better accuracy? i hear the trigger weight is very high.
3 is shooting 308 winchester regularly safe and fine? and how hot of loads can i use?
4 is it chrome lined and if not whats the barrel life like? like after how many rounds will accuracy decrease by half?
5 how bad is the brass chew up and does the port buffer do anything?
6 how well would hard cast lubed reloads work in the gun?
7 is tulammo ammo fine?
8 what sort of accuracy can i expect?
9 does it lend well to being suppressed? i have a multi cal suppressor build coming up all stainless steel. 2.75 od diameter 4.8 long( its 3 4.8 long pieces that thread into each other with m type cup baffles and it weights around 95 oz with the full 3 part config at 13.5 long).
10 how long is the main recoil spring good for and same goes for other parts of the gun like the bolt and the rollers.
11 whats the recoil like?
12 is it safe to lube the gun(like the bolt carrier group and chamber, i heard it makes extraction less damaging if the chamber is lubed but also more dangerous since it stays in the chamber for a shorter amount of time.).
13 is the receiver steel or polymer for the GI R model?
ill either be getting this or an ar10, but this seems like better quality than similar priced ar10s plus it can have a folding or retractile stock, looks a lot better and the mags are a lot cheaper.
>>
>>34057405
also i forgot to add, but where can i get the bull barrel version?
id like my ptr 91 to have the welded rail, the paddle mag release and a bull barrel and a steel trigger housing.
>>
File: ptr91fr (9 of 16).jpg (143KB, 1000x540px) Image search: [Google]
ptr91fr (9 of 16).jpg
143KB, 1000x540px
>>34057418
KFM4R, FR, and MSG models are the only ones with bull barrels, and start at ~$200 more than the base model. You can also buy a bull barrel from PTR or a third party. Steel trigger housing and paddle mag release are now standard on all new models. The base model GI is the only current inventory that doesn't have a welded scope rail.

If you want all of the features you mentioned, get pic related
>>
>>34057579
do you think the bull barrel is worth it?
also this model https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ptr-91fr-308-rifle-w-paddle-mag-release-detail.html?Itemid=0
seems like it has a polymer lower, is the model in your photo the one i linked?
also for the hand guard, can you add rail sections to the side? the rail pattern doesnt look like m lock or keymod or anything that i know of so what is it?
>>
>>34057405
Too drunk to read all that shit and I don't own a PTR but

>1 is the retractable stock worth it and is it difficult to install?

It is apparently easy to install. There is one that designed to launch rifle grenades and is convex that looks cool but is really uncomfortable to shoot. I swear whatacountry had a concave one that was allegedly more comfy to shoot but I am retarded and can not find it again.
>>
File: battle_raifus_mugi.jpg (3MB, 1679x2718px) Image search: [Google]
battle_raifus_mugi.jpg
3MB, 1679x2718px
>>34057405
1. Easy to install but many don't like it.

2. Several places offer trigger jobs or replacements. Mines not that bad though.

3. Yes. I don't know specifics on loads but mine eats whatever I give it.

4. No, roller delayed blowback guns were never chrome lined due to the chamber fluting.

5. Mine really doesn't chew it up too bad and the port buffer will protect it from the worst of the damage from the ejection.

6. Not sure.

7. Works great in mine.

8. Some people say they get 1 MOA but you should expect 2-3.

9. You need to switch out the locking piece to prevent overpressure issues. I think it's a number 17 piece you need but I don't remember off the top of my head.

10. Don't know exactly, just google it.

11. Recoil isn't that bad but it seems odd to many people due to the rollers unlocking.

12. Sure.

13. The receivers are always steel. If you're referring to the lower trigger pack, the GIs come with steel.

I love mine OP. Go for it.
>>
File: PTR Bayo Left.jpg (3MB, 2988x1681px) Image search: [Google]
PTR Bayo Left.jpg
3MB, 2988x1681px
>>34058011
I forgot to mention, the port buffer doesn't fit on railed models.
>>
>>34057405
It lends very well to being suppressed with the right locking piece.
>>34058011
It is the #17 piece.
>>
>>34057405
That chamber lubing won't do anything. The unlocking time is determined by the locking piece angle, rollers, and pressure.
>>
>>34057405

>I want this as a dmr

Build a .308 AR around a quality barrel instead.

>>34058011

I had this really long fucking response to the OP but I hit the word limit and just gave up. This is basically everything I wanted to say but shorter. Couple things to add though.

1. It's not worth the cost unless you REALLY like how it looks. You give up a pretty good cheek weld and the recoil buffer for the ability to make the rifle a little shorter when you aren't shooting it. I don't even use mine anymore.

8. At this point I've seen enough 1.5moa claims to figure it'll do that with the right ammo on a good day. I usually expect around 2moa out of mine with good enough factory ammo on an average day.

10. The thing you'll want to keep an eye on regularly is bolt gap. Check it when you get the rifle, during the "break in" period, and from time to time afterward. Some people preemptively order a whole set of rollers as spares, others buy the rollers they need when they're needed. Up to you. You will want to pick up a few spare extractor springs right off the bat though.

12. I lube the rollers, bolt, locking piece, and wear areas on the carrier. I'll occasionally hit the recoil spring guide ring and rod after a cleaning. I haven't read anything regarding lubing the chamber directly so I can't comment on any of that.
>>
>>34058262
>Build a .308 AR around a quality barrel instead.

this... or just any other more accurate option. DMR implies something more accurate than these things in my mind.
>>
I've shot a PTR before. I liked it, a lot. Very fun to shoot. I didn't like what the spent brass looked like afterward, though.
>>
>>34058025
anyway to get a ptr with the bull barrel and a port buffer?
so without the welded on rail, i can add a clip one later.
>>
>>34058262
so 12 to 9 inch groups at 600 meters?
i think im fine that, you could probably even do 1 inch groups if youre firing from a bipod and the barrel isnt warm.
>>
>>34057779
The Concave one is from the G3A2 and looks shoddy, the Convex is from the G3A4, is more compact, lighter, but more uncomfortable to shoot.
The best option imo is the later convex stock, milled for multiple positions and with an enhanced buffer that mitigates the recoil quite well. It's a little akward at first but it's the perfect stock to use with armor and webbing on
>>
>>34058570
Buy a bull barrel model then gear a steel lower from somplace else and swap it out.
>>
>>34057405
The collapsible stock isn't worth it without a new rubber butt pad and an enhanced buffer, which requires a smith. At that point you also might as well have positions added by milling.
Not that it's terrible in it's stock configuration, but the rubber is going to be hard as a rock surplus, the recoil feels harsher due to the worn surplus buffer in there and it can be a real jaw jerker when you get a cheek weld.

There are claims from those who've had the enhanced spring and buffer install on their collapsibles that they felt a substantial felt recoil reduction nearly on par to the heavy buffers offered in the full stocks.

Some PTR91 fixed stocks have an enhanced buffer - slightly longer than the original, there are several buffers for fixed stock HK .308's in varying sizes
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewcategories.asp?pageStyle=h&ProdSort=19&page=3&idCategory=114
>>
>>34058595
Why do I think you're a noguns with no practical experience preparing for his "I'm a sniper!" Shtf fantasy?
>>
>>34058791
what do you mean by enhanced buffer?
and how would i install one?
can you give the specific items id need to purchase for this? and same for the rubber.
>>
>>34058809
im planning to be a bandit when shtf what kinda guns should i get
>>
>>34057405
Honestly, and I say this as a FAL lover and new GI-R owner-
As long as it stays sub 1k the GI-R is an absolutely fantastic deal. Paddle+steel lower+rail+cheap mags and it's a no brainer. They offer GI's with the wide handguard instead of the slim. I didn't personally like the slim for several reasons, so I bought a HK wide handguard and it is flat out amazing
>>
>>34058570
I would hold off on that, a rail mounted port buffer is in the works that takes up minimal rail real estate, also PTR has been teasing that they may release a model with the late model G3 brass deflector or even the forward assist+deflector as seen on some of the Scandinavian G3's
>>
>>34058848
Nothing, because shtf isn't gonna happen. You'd just get blown away by a Fudd with his Remington 700 at 300 yards anyway.
>>
>>34058886
so this new model will have the port buffer and welded rail?
will it have the bull barrel, steel lower and paddle mag release?
any time frame when its supposed to be released and the pricing?
>>
>>34058886
would this be good to install?
http://www.triggerwork.net/hk-91-a3-collapsible-stock-improved-recoil-buffer.html
should i also get a heavy duty recoil spring?
>>
>>34057405
PTR91s are basically badges of poverty.

If you want to advertise to the world that you can't afford a modern 308 platform, the gun's for you.
>>
>>34058820
There is a mod for HK Collapsible stocks that completely changes out the buffer and spring inside the stock (which is usally worn anyway because surplus) with an enhanced spring and buffer design while still retaining similar dimensions.
This mod can or was able to be bought off of HKparts but it was designed by a HK smith/builder who will also perform the install. This builder will provide and install the enhanced buffer and he can also mill new positions into the stock (the stock is 2 position - open and closed, he can make it 4 position).
I think you can do it yourself as well but it may require a dremel, and honestly he makes the mod anyway so why not use him for the install?
The mod is a must have if you seriously want an original collapsible to be the best it can be

I forget the guys name+website but he's well known in HK forums and the work isn't that expensive.

In the bottom of the picture you can see the retracted collapsible stock. That nub sticking out between the 2 stock spokes is the Buffer Assembly - it rests in a hollowed out portion of the buttplate when the stock is collapsed
>>
File: HKSTOCK-COL-B.jpg (5KB, 350x147px) Image search: [Google]
HKSTOCK-COL-B.jpg
5KB, 350x147px
>>34059027
Forgot pic
>>
>>34058964
so i should buy a 3k scar 17s that groups a little better with no cool retractable stock, with mags that cost 8 times as much for 3 to 2 the cost of a ptr and that uses a basic bitch short stroke piston(lol didnt even do the better long stroke) system just because it costs more?

trust fund baby faggot detected.
get out.
>>
>>34058886

>PTR has been teasing that they may release a model with the late model G3 brass deflector or even the forward assist+deflector as seen on some of the Scandinavian G3's

Consider me erect.
>>
>>34059027
was the guy i linked?
http://www.triggerwork.net/hk-91-a3-collapsible-stock-improved-recoil-buffer.html
Do you think it would be cheaper to buy the two position stock and then have him convert it to a 4 position?
is this something i can do myself?
>>
>>34059086
yeah id like to know more about this new model too.
would like to see a source so i dont buy before it comes out.
>>
>>34058964

Took you a while to show up.

>>34059044

A 17s will absolutely group better while being considerably lighter with actual trigger options and vastly improved ergonomics.

How much that is worth is up to you.
>>
>>34058935
The Forward Assist+Silent bolt close device+deflector will on a higher priced MSG-90 clone.
As for the lower end it's a plan to offer a welded on brass deflector as seen on late model German and other G3's. This is a mod you can literally do yourself btw - it's just a piece of metal welded on to the end on the ejection port. Google G3 Brass deflector. It's actually alot more effective than you think and is currently a much better choice because it allows you to still have a rail.

There have been rumblings on HK forums of some small op designing a rail mounted port buffer
>>
>>34059175
i can do it myself but i cant do it on a model with a welded rail.

id like to get a ptr with a bull barrel, rail and the port buffer. also would be nice to have that hand guard with the rail attachments.

any info on exact pricing and also a source?
also this rail mounted port buffer sounds interesting, then i could just get the ptr 91fr model and mount the port buffer on the rail.
>>
>>34058955
>Bill Springfield
>http://www.triggerwork.net/hk-91-a3-collapsible-stock-improved-recoil-buffer.html

That's him!
The install requires drilling, $76 bucks is peanuts for him to install it anyway and he will also mill new positions if you would like (for more $)
>>
>>34059175

>This is a mod you can literally do yourself btw

Last time I looked into this I was cautioned regarding the improper installation of the deflector actually causing malfunctions. Not sure how true it is or how I feel about it, but yeah.
>>
>>34059086
The forward assist is going to be on the high end marksman/MSG-90 clones but I'm sure it's something that can be on a custom order
>>
>>34059174
dont care about 1.5 pounds of weight, irrelevant to me.
seriously, youd have to be a skinny manlet to feel that 1.5 difference.

ptrs group from 1 to 2 moa, from what ive seen its 2 moa for normal ammo, with 1.5 moa when bench shooting with an optic.
1 moa is achievable with match ammo and a bipod.
im a good shooter so i think can do that.

scar 17s group what? 1 moa? maybe a bit less, not much difference to me.

you can have trigger jobs done on a ptr and i dont see how the ergonomics are better.
>>
File: CHNA PTR.jpg (1MB, 2656x1348px) Image search: [Google]
CHNA PTR.jpg
1MB, 2656x1348px
>>34059262
As a G3 fanboy, the ergos on a SCAR are much better but you like what you like. If you want the PTR, then go for it.
>>
>>34059099
Any smith with milling experience can mill you new positions, having him do it just knocks out all the birds with one stone.
He provides installation instructions for the enhanced buffer but I would leave it to him, because he makes the part in the first place.
>>
>>34059232
do you think i should fork over the extra 30 bucks(more for milling out for the other positions) or do you think i could do this myself? doesnt look like its too difficult, i also have access to some hardware(not a mill) that i can probably use to machine out the extra trenches in the stock.
thats how it works, right?
machining out some metal in the two metal rods?
>>
File: PHvQZrw[1].jpg (60KB, 598x450px) Image search: [Google]
PHvQZrw[1].jpg
60KB, 598x450px
If this is a gun acquisition thread, do you anons think I should pull the trigger on this?
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psak-47-gb2-polymer-rifle-77929393.html

I've been eyeing down the parts kits to build one, but this would be much easier.
>>
>>34059254
i just want a model with
a bull barrel
a rail
a metal handguard with the rail
and a port buffer

and then ill install a retractable stock with the enhanced buffer and spring and 4 positions.
that would be perfect.
>>
>>34059211
The port buffer is a removable part just like the carry handles. It literally clamps on to standard G3 recievers with no welded rail - over the top.
You would not want to weld the port buffer onto the rifle.

You can weld the late model brass deflector onto a welded top rail PTR. Google it to see what it looks like - the port buffer is entirely different from the late model brass deflector - which was designed to be welded onto the back of the ejection port by an armorer
>>
>>34059327
that looks pretty good.
never seen an ak with a melonited barrel.
definitely looks better than pretty much all other aks except for maybe veprs.

it even has the cleaning rod so that means you can convert this to a bullpup.
>>
>>34059378
is there a way to get the port buffer and the rail?
and like i said i also want the bull barrel as well.

i plan to reload and id rather not have my brass be dented and unusable.
>>
>>34059327
i might by this later on and make a bullpup if i can ever get over brass ejecting so close to my face.
>>
>>34059433
meant buy
>>
>>34059305
I don't think you should attempt to mill new positions into a collapsible stock on your own, you need to take a look at what the positions look like - they are notched - it's not something that could be easily done with a hand tool and the whole point is you want it exact so it's a tight lockup.

If it sounds daunting HKparts sells 4 position modified G3 collapsibles in batches (not sure if they are currently in stock) but you pay a premium compared to a surplus 2 position.
Literally any gunsmith with machining experience who guarantees his work should be able to do it
>>
>>34058964
>platform
>>
>>34059262

If you can't justify the cost that's fine. For what it's worth, I wouldn't drop the coin on a 17s either. Not anymore at least. There are too many other firearms I want more than a SCAR these days, but I think the PTR was just right for the price when I got mine and I plan on shooting it until it falls apart then buying another to replace it.

Doesn't change the fact that the SCAR is an objectively better, more modern .308 rifle.
>>
>>34059470
so 230 plus shipping plus 76 for the heavy buffer conversion plus 8 for a new spring plus the extra for the 4 position conversion
so that should be what, 360 dollars total with shipping?
where do i get a new butt pad? you said the ones on the stocks are pretty hard due to being old, right?
>>
>>34059419
No.
At least not until someone sells a rail mounted buffer (soon)
The HK port buffer clamps over the reciever, you cannot do this if you have a welded rail. Period.

Trust me the port buffer isn't worth forgoing the rail. It's an overrated part and there are other solutions to your brass mauling worries.
If you forego the welded rail any clamp on rail worth it's salt is going to add at least 1lb to your rifle. Some of the better clamp rails are too long for a port buffer anyway - and most would tell you to steer clear of the surplus claw's and go for something like a B&T
>>
>>34059504
but how is it objectively better?
its not that much more accurate and weighs only 1.5 to 1.75 pound less, and scar 17s have a 16 inch barrel so you need to take that into consideration.

an hk with a m4 type stock with a folding mechanism with an m lock or sectioned rail hand guard is just as good as a scar for 3 times less the cost of a scar not including mags.

i see no reason to get a scar, at all.
and i bet a hk g3 clone with a milled receiver would be just as accurate as a scar.
>>
>>34057405
You need to ask these questions somewhere reliable.
/k/ is trash entertainment
Have fun, take nothing to heart
>>
>>34059419
You know these eat cheap steel case like a champ
>>
>>34059551
can you link me to this rail mounted buffer? id like to know more about it.

what other ways are there to get rid of the brass mauling problem?
From what i gather the brass is dented when it hits the top of the receiver and buffers solves this by making it flat and not against the edge of the ejection port.
>>
>>34057405
1. no to both. the side folding stocks are cheaper but they're kind of shit
2. sent it to that one guy whos famous for doing trigger work.
3. yes
4. no, and i think like 20000. im not actually sure on the second part.
5. pretty bad,and probably.
6. not sure but probably.
7. probably.
8. about average
9. not sure
10. a long time.
11. not bad actually.
12. i way over lube mine so, yes.
13. the actual receiver? steel. the lower/grip? polymer for the most part but steel options are available.
>>
>>34059567
reloading(with cast ammo) will actually be a lot less expensive than the steel cased stuff.
i calculated at less than 20 cents a round(12 cents for the brass once fired)
thats why i really want a way to stop the brass damage.
>>
>>34059527
HKparts, 20 bucks.

Are you beginning to see why alot of people just get M4 stocks or Choates?

Here is a link to an already modified 4 position HK collapsible from HKparts, in stock, with a non-enhanced buffer. I'm not lying when I say they cost a premium like this. I paid $120 out the door for a surplus 2 position off of Sportsmans Guide about 5 months ago. Better to buy a 2 position cheap, milling 2 more positions should cost under $100
>>
>>34059597
this would work, right?
http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/G3-STEEL-SEF-LOWER-STRIPPED-40p2120.htm
just take out all the inner parts of a ptr 91 and the grip and install it in this stripped lower?
>>
>>34059628
120 bucks? whered you get the two position for 120? the one on hk parts is like 230.
>>
>>34059593
It does not exist, it is in the design phase.
Search HKPRO forums.

This exists right now and is permanent, and for extra assurance against dented cases users typically install a strip of velcro or thin padding where the brass strikes the deflector. The deflector takes most of the piss out of the ejection - no longer will your casings eject into the stratosphere/the other side of the range.
It's literally a 5 minute weld

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK-STEEL-SHELL-DEFLECTOR-p43.htm

HKparts may also have one pre-parked
>>
>>34059262
>i dont see how the ergonomics are better.
>>
>>34059617
The brass damage isn't as bad as you think. The fluting marks are something you can work around with knowledge from the HK community.
The thing is you get less potential reloads per case with a G3.
You can also reload the steel case stuff if you think your setup can handle it
>>
>>34059701
so this will give me both the rail, bull barrel, and rail?
great.

i think ill get the ptr 91rf model
get part 17 for higher pressure loads
extra rollers
a new recoil spring
a two position stock and have that guy install the heavy buffer and mill out the positions for a four position stock
and then when i get the rifle ill get a welder to install the shell deflector.

hey do you know where i can get that two position retractable stock for cheaper than 230$ and where i can get a new butt plate with new rubber?
>>
>>34059777
ill also get the steel lower
>>
>>34059665
It was used German surplus on Sportsmans Guide - they are since out of stock.
It's parkerized
The ones on HKparts are like new and may have that HK Black over park finish.
>>
so thats
1100 for the rifle
47 for the shell deflector and steel frame and part 17 plus shipping of like 10
8 for the spring
230 for the stock
30 probably for the butt plate
76 plus cost of of milling for the stock plus shipping back to me
plus welding cost which should be 20

1100(gun)+30(shipping)+30(6mags price matched)+20(ffl)+57(steel frame part 17 and shell deflector and shipping)+278(stock and recoil spring and butt plate)+116(heavy buffer conversion, milling and shipping)+20 welding plus maybe some extra rollers and extractors and maybe a bit less if i can find a cheaper stock or price match lower.
total is like 1650, a little more if i buy a few rail pieces and a little less if i can get some parts cheaper through price matching and maybe 30 less if i dont get a new butt pad.

does this sound about right?

oh and i would shop the stock and spring and etc directly to the guy so i can save money on shipping and time.
>>
>>34059777
Not finding it for under $230 right now. Last year there was german surplus ones literally for sale cheaper everywhere.
GI-R's are by far PTR's best seller yet, and with the influx of the C308 stocks are going to go up in value.
Look on the bright side - at least you aren't trying to find a wood stock - most people now just give up and modify a cheaper CETME wood stock
>>
>>34058964
Fuck off, PTR-91 are legit.
>>
>>34059869
do you think it will come back in stock any time soon? that would save me almost a 100 bucks on the total cost.
>>
>>34059894
Or you could just buy a M4 style collapsible and stick an enhanced buffer in it.

Search HKPro and AR15.com marketplaces or even open up a WTB thread there.
Hell ask in /brg/ if anyone wants to sell theirs (I guarantee you will get a hit, some people like the stock right up until they shoot it and it rings their jaw).
You could also just wait until more surplus comes in, just be ready to jump on it.
>>
>>34059944
For $120? No. Demand is higher now.
Start hitting up /brg/ and see if you can snag one off of someone.
>>
>>34059995
is that really a problem, it hitting your cheek? i plan on shooting this with a muzzle brake or a very heavy suppressor(35 to 70 oz weight, massive volume) or a muzzle brake and with the enhanced buffer and new spring.
that's like 60+ percent recoil reduction.

also are the pakistani hk contract retractable stocks any good? i found one for 190.
>>
>>34060040
If you run a good brake and have a heavier barrel than a GI felt recoil will be reduced, you may not even need the enhanced buffer at that point.

Pakistan makes G3's so it should be decent - I would still hit up /brg/ to see if someone will sell you theirs for cheap. There are tons of German's out there so you can snag one second hand for less than that.
>>
>>34060040
On stock G3's with the collapsible you need a careful cheekweld and a tight hold. It really isn't terrible tons of militaries using the G3 run around with the collapsible
>>
>>34060075
Well I'm not buying now as I don't want to spend that much now.
I plan on getting a Summer job soon and working part time until June and full until August and buy my suppressor kit and the ptr and a few other things and save 2 grand away.
>>
>>34059553

>try to help someone
>was responding to bait the whole time

Clever girl.
>>
The G3's recoil is more than managable, the collapsible stock will increase percieved felt recoil but it can be worked around easily.
Shoot one with a collapsible first before you decide to spend money modifying it further
>>
>>34060110
But it will be a lot better with a heavier rifle plus a brake or suppressor and the heavy buffer, righ?
I think the 91rf is like 9.75lb and with extra rail sections and a foregrips plus bipod it will be close to 11.5lb
Then I'll have a brake or a 35-70 oz suppressor which acts like a brake plus adds weight to the gun and then I'll have the heavy buffer.
With all of this it will probably feel close to a 556.
>>
>>34060147
Yes. 99% of collapsible stock buyers buy a G3 clone with a G3A3 profile barrel and have a G3 stock stlye flash hider - ie thin barrel. These guys benefit the most from heavier buffers.

The thicker barrel non-GI PTR's are a whole 'nother ballpark, and you are adding a muzzle brake into the mix.

Just be careful when you start throwing bipods, scopes, etc on, you can easily turn it into a 15+lb monster if you aren't careful
>>
>>34060196
I'll add a cheapo bipod and a 1-6 scope, cheapo too.
A few rail sections as well, a foregrip.
Btw my suppressor will ad between 2.2 and 4.4 pounds, so that will further reduce recoil.
I'll probably just the 4.8 35 oz suppressor.
It's a three part modular suppressor, each section weighs about 27 oz with no end caps.
>>
>>34060219 Save weight sell the keymod rail, get a wide handguard and either a HK bipod or do the bottom pic rail mod and mount your own
>>
>>34058964
the scar is way too expensive
>>
>>34059327
/akg/ regular here - I'd be hesitant about it. PSAKs seem to suffer from some odd QC these days. Atlantic has some kits built on Romanian and Polish parts kits that might be worth considering instead. You'd still need to provide your own furniture, but a quick trip to AK Files will fix you up with something much better than WASR wood or whatever PSA plastic you get.
>>
File: IMG_3205.jpg (46KB, 615x399px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3205.jpg
46KB, 615x399px
With the PTR people involved in the manufacturing, how are the century C308 rifles?

Did century absorb some QC through osmosis?
>>
>>34061461
C308 is fine. Not as quality as the PTR, not as accurate, but it's not going to blow up on you..probably.
>>
>>34061461
>With the PTR people involved in the manufacturing

This bullshit needs to stop. Century buys stamped receivers and barrels from PTR and then their monkeys install CETME parts and an in-house muzzle brake. All customer service and warranty repairs are done by Century.

Some people like theirs. Others have problems with weak dribbly ejection (on a gun that usually flings brass 15 or 20 yards, this is a clue). One YouTuber had a broken firing pin cause a slamfire while he was chambering a round.

It's up to you whether the meager cost savings versus a PTR GI are worth the potential problems.
>>
File: 1493067038890.gif (264KB, 478x369px) Image search: [Google]
1493067038890.gif
264KB, 478x369px
>>34061686
>others have problems with weak dribbly ejection
I'm not ready to be old.
>>
File: 1495268007054.jpg (33KB, 318x323px) Image search: [Google]
1495268007054.jpg
33KB, 318x323px
>>34058964
>>
File: 1464755587261.jpg (34KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1464755587261.jpg
34KB, 640x480px
>>34058964
Ooohhh, bait!
>>
>>34059921
Wood G3 furniture gives me a hard-on but fuck do I regret not being interested in G3s until now and knowing there's no more wood surplus in the US.

At least G3 wood is still widely available in Germany if you ever want to smuggle it out in your ass.
>>
>>34061990
Why can't you import wood stocks?
>>
>>34062002
Since their original and sole purpose is to be used in a firearm, they are classified as firearm components under EU law, which require export authorization. You will also need import authorization from the fed. You'd essentially need like $10,000 in legal work for $50 worth of parts, and you wouldn't even be guaranteed approval in either bureaucracy.

All this despite the fact that certain "firearms parts" such as furniture are entirely unregulated within the EU.
>>
>>34062047
I know people heard of people who have gotten Manurhins shipped here, for alot less than 10k, is this part of the recent law changes regarding firearms in the EU?
Otherwise I'm betting this is more along the lines of Germany using the EU as an excuse to curb firearm commerce.
>>
>>34062138
No, it's literally both the EU and US have needlessly complex import and export restrictions. Everything really is circumstance-specific because each country within the EU can tighten their own regulations, and the permissions you need change depending on what you're importing.

Frankly it'd be easier to build wood furniture from scratch than trudge through the whole process. It'd be more worthwhile for an actual firearm, but not for a completely inert part that isn't even essential to functioning.
>>
>>34057405
So my lgs is the carrying ptr 91fr for 1200, seriously considering pulling the trigger on this purchase. Is this a decent deal in Texas?
>>
>>34062464
Pffft no.
First of all add 100 dollars for the sales tax.
Second of all on Atlantic firearms it's 1099 plus 30 shipping, so 1130 vs 1300.
>>
>>34064731
Plus transfer fee. Of course in less-free states like WA, you pay sales tax on all firearms you transfer through an FFL, so for some people the delta might not be as big.
>>
File: CETME Modelo B.jpg (119KB, 800x411px) Image search: [Google]
CETME Modelo B.jpg
119KB, 800x411px
>>34057405
Because CETME Modelo B is better and cheaper
>>
>>34066312
What does that even mean? Nobody imports them or makes them. Anything used is obviously going to command "collector's" premiums. Unless you're referring to wood-stocked PTRs which they stopped selling like two years ago.
>>
>>34058276
Youre not going to find a more accurate semi auto .308 for sub $2k
>>
>>34066945
is building a decent AR10 that pricey?
>>
>>34066974
A good AR10 is slightly cheaper a SCAR. Maybe a little cheaper than that if you build it from parts.
>>
>>34061990
Just because it isn't on the retail market doesn't mean you cannot acquire it. You can also just mod a CETME mod B wood set - only the handguard needs modding.

I'm a little surprised Ironwood Designs hasn't stepped in to fill the void
>>
>>34066945
Wrong. You can get a number of precision bolt rifles in 308 for under $2k
>>
>>34067046
Thank you for letting us know that you cant read.
>>
>>34067072
You want a dmr? Get an actual rifle that can reach out to 600-800 yards accurately. PTR's are meh at best, get yourself a good bolt rifle and get real long distance accuracy
>>
>>34067102
>dmr
>bolt action and expected sub-moa accuracy
Thank you for letting us know that you're retarded as well
>>
>>34067046
>semi auto
>bolt action
>>34067102
>dmr
>bolt action

Do you not know what things are or are you just deflecting because you fucked up?
>>
>>34067146
Thanks for showing your no guns. I guarantee that there are a number of bolt rifles that will easily outshoot a PTR. The PTR is a ok rifle, my buddy has one but it is not a legit dmr
>>
>>34067215
Hes just b8ing, m8.
>>
File: 20170525_235349.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170525_235349.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
Just bought an American Tactical 1911, full size government model, this is my first pistol, so I didn't expect to shoot well immediately, nor do I expect to get good at it without more trips to my local range.
Do you guys have any tips on using iron sights for my pistol, they're the G.I. sights(I know, super basic)
I already love shooting it, just want to get better with my pistol.
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.