[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General - Muhrines are Memes Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 23

File: 234.png (780KB, 680x631px) Image search: [Google]
234.png
780KB, 680x631px
>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

>Should I go nuke???
No.

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
how do I do radios and shit
>>
>>34052604
Don't.
>>
What are the benefits of going into the 35 series in the Army? How is the pay for an enlisted man, and can I get good jobs in the private sector when I get out of the Army? Are there jobs in the 35 series where I'm more likely to work on the front line?
>>
>>34052620
what about satellite systems?
>>
File: article.jpg (90KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
article.jpg
90KB, 640x480px
5th for the brazilian army
>>
>>34052656
Everyone makes the same in the army anon, assuming you are the same rank of the comparative
>>
>>34052788
What about jobs in the civilian world then?
>>
>>34052795
Most jobs give priority to vets, but I'm personally planning on going non-civ transferrable role like 19D or 11B then going to Uni to get my actual trade

but 35 series will give you a ton of options in the civilian world but it'll be a boring desk job for most of the entirety
>>
Can i walk right into the recruiter's office and talk to him, or do i have to call first and make an appointment?

Also should i start studying for the asvab? or is it easy enough that i won't need to worry about it?
>>
>>34052815
From what I gather, walking in is A) kind of unspoken rule of being frowned upon (but if it's the Army they'll lay out a red carpet for you to walk in to) B) unexpected and may run into scheduling issues and have busy recruiters

I messaged my recruiter station on Facebook and then a recruiter got to me, I'd recommend doing the same if you don't want to phone in. If that isn't available you can just quickly ask whenever they're free for a sit down. Make sure you tell them you're extremely interested in joining as to make it seem like you'll enlist for sure and get a fast slot in
>>
>>34052795
People overestimate the importance of their military job experience. It will give you a boost during the interview process but it's not a replacement for getting a degree.

>>34052815
You're an adult now, make an appointment. The ASVAB is 9th grade level math and reading comp. You're the only one who knows if that is easy enough for you.
>>
>>34052835

Do whatever you're comfortable with. The only people who worry about walking in vs. calling are overanalytical autists.

It's the recruiter's job to get you in the military, stop playing the conversation in your head ten thousand times and go do it.
>>
>>34052857
I doubt they would care if i walk in to schedule an appointment versus calling in to schedule an appointment
>>
Any Air Force lads that can give me a quick rundown on 3D1X2? If I can ever get my dipshit recruiter to return my calls I think I'm going to shoot for it.
>>
>>34052656

Pay will only really be better than non-intel if you luck into a cool assignment. Promotion rates in intel are usually pretty quick too, but it can depend.

>>34052795

35 series definitely has among the best civilian opportunities, but you need to get some real experience in the military. You should also aim to get your degree, it's possible to get a civilian job on intelligence experience alone, but having a degree makes it so much easier. Finally, make sure you don't do anything stupid and lose your clearance, since that will kill most of the post-service opportunities in the intelligence community.
>>
File: help.jpg (30KB, 1196x78px) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
30KB, 1196x78px
Hey guys
Anybody know how the Army bonus program works???

I got a 25k signing bonus, I got 10k when I finished AIT last september, and was told the rest would be distributed on the yearly anniversary of my AIT graduation for the next 4 years.
But just this morning this showed up in my bank account and im not sure what it is for. My ship date for basic was June 1st last year, its close to the $3,700 that my yearly dismemberment would be, but my other bonus got taxed before I received it so its wierd that this one is 3,400 flat

What do??

Who do I talk to about this? Im just a shitbag private
>>
>>34052957
what did you do to get a signing bonus like that? is that considered a lot for a signing bonus? And does a signing bonus get taxed a lot?
>>
File: 1448945878914.gif (126KB, 429x650px) Image search: [Google]
1448945878914.gif
126KB, 429x650px
>told myself over and over again I wasn't going to reinlist
>got put in IRR
>can't land a job fucking any where
>military skills are absolutely fucking worthless and no employer cares at all
>bank account is zero
Welp, looks like im going back.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (945KB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
945KB, 3264x1840px
>>34053048
Im a 13B so i really have no idea why the fuck I got such a high signing bonus its really easy to get into this MOS, my recruiter said my ASVAB scores got my a higher bonus because I scored a 130-140 on every line score, but idk.

When I got my initial payment for 10k it was taxed down to like 6.8k, Im also from a state with high taxes, but when I did my taxes on turbotax I got back almost all the money I had paid in taxes that year
>>
File: 1423502815798.jpg (989KB, 2910x3029px) Image search: [Google]
1423502815798.jpg
989KB, 2910x3029px
>>34053100
If i got a signing bonus anywhere near that i wouldn't need a job at tall this summer, I could live on that for a while. Do you know if 11b can get a signing bonus anywhere near that? Would doing well on the asvab help?
>>
>>34053048
>>34053100

25K is a pretty good bonus but far from as high as it gets.

They withhold taxes at a really high bracket because the average enlistee is a dumbass and will not account for taxes if you give them a lump sum. However, you get most of the money they withheld back at tax season because even with the bonus most junior enlisted fall into the 15 %~ tax bracket.

It's a really common misconception that they just tax it like 40 % and you never see that money again...which just demonstrates the point that most new enlistees are idiots when it comes to taxes and don't know what they're talking about.
>>
>>34053058

Sounds like you didn't make a plan. The transition to civilian life can be easy but you need a fucking plan.
>>
>>34053176
>Sounds like you didn't make a plan
Well you're wrong. Our economy is shit, and jobs are scarce.
Just so happens you need more to bring to an employer than just "yeah I was in the army" these days.
>>
>>34053170
So it sounds like they withhold a lot to account for the fact that most enlistees would spend it all, and then be unable to pay the taxes due on the income. Normally, for income that is not on a W-2 you have to make an estimated tax payment to the IRS so you don't have any underpayment penalties. But because they withhold so much of it, most people will end up getting a nice refund because they overpaid.
Is it possible to receive the bonus taxed at the lower, actual tax rate? I think I know enough to handle all the tax implications of receiving a large lump sum, I majored in accounting.
>>
File: 1381706582720.jpg (614KB, 637x900px) Image search: [Google]
1381706582720.jpg
614KB, 637x900px
Can anyone tell me if 25B is still a decent MOS worth getting into...?

Atleast for potential employment on the civilian side.
I have a little IT knowledge and I've been told 25B graduate from AIT with only an A+ certification though. Can anyone clarify
>>
>>34053199

>Just so happens you need more to bring to an employer than just "yeah I was in the army" these days.

Yeah, building marketable skills and a resume that doesn't suck ass is part of building a plan. "I'm going to get out and get a job" is not a plan.

I just separated earlier this year and I'm fuckin' swimming in jobs.
>>
>>34053289
What's your mos?
>>
>>34053242

>Is it possible to receive the bonus taxed at the lower, actual tax rate? I think I know enough to handle all the tax implications of receiving a large lump sum, I majored in accounting.

It's not possible. Military life will go a lot smoother if you accept that you have to follow the Retard Rules even though you aren't retarded in this particular area.
>>
File: Lancia_Stratos_Rally_Car.jpg (143KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
Lancia_Stratos_Rally_Car.jpg
143KB, 500x332px
>>34053304
thanks for the advice, i can live with getting part of the signing bonus back later as a tax refund
>>
File: 05931564.jpg (128KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
05931564.jpg
128KB, 1024x682px
Would a serious case of bacne disqualify me from the military? Should i delay my enlistment process and get it treated before meps or continue forward?
>>
>>34053298

Intel when I was in, network security now. I spent a large portion of my free time in the service studying and acquiring credentials and now I get hit up by half a dozen recruiters a week for good salaried jobs. I picked a comfortable gig in the low six figures that gives me time to go to grad school on the side.

Obviously this is the complete other end of the spectrum from no-skills infantrymen begging on a street corner, but there's a comfortable middle ground. The military sets you up pretty well if you use it, if you're struggling it's because you took all those bennies and threw them in the garbage because you didn't care. Bare minimum anyone getting out can use the GI Bill and unemployment to live pretty comfortably for three years to get on their feet. If fancypants college isn't for you, the GI Bill will even pay for you to learn a trade.
>>
Last thread someone said they got like a 30k bonus and enlisted at E4 with a EMT certification. Would you get the bonus and rank if you pick an MOS not in the medical field?
>>
>>34053407

It's possible. Bonuses change all the time and are dependent on what the military needs.

Contrary to popular opinion, it usually doesn't have much to do with the candidate. Sometimes there's a small bonus for quick ship, or because you have some college, but most of the time when you see a big bonus like $25,000+ it's just because they really need that MOS right now and anyone who can get that MOS can get that bonus.
>>
File: Rating_Badge_CT.jpg (57KB, 450x302px) Image search: [Google]
Rating_Badge_CT.jpg
57KB, 450x302px
>>34052594
Does anyone here have any experience with the CTI DLAB? I want to be a CTI, but I've heard the test is fucking brutal. Is there any study books or tips i could use to prepare for it?
>>
>>34053384
>Intel
Yeah I fucking knew it. Stopped reading there. Of course you're swimming in jobs you smug fuck.
Don't try to lecture me about finding work in the civilian world when you had great MOS like that. Everyone I know in my unit is either unemployed or working as security guards. Its just the way it is.
>>
>>34053439

>Woe is me, I picked a different job so I'll just have to spend the rest of my life begging on a streetcorner.

Most of the shit that led to my success as a civilian I did on my own time. I made building skills a priority, I researched the kinds of things employers wanted to see on a resume. If I knew how to do that stuff, I put it on my resume, if I didn't know how to do that stuff I went out and tried to learn it. Most importantly, I spent time networking with the skill community I wanted to enter. Like anywhere else, if you're an unlikeable asshole it doesn't matter how good you can be at your job.

Sitting around grumbling about "muh veteran" doesn't mean anything to employers. You have to use the discipline and drive you presumably learned in the service to actually learn shit that's useful on the outside.
>>
>>34053176
>>34053384
Dude, you aren't smart or clever. No need to be so condescending and dismissive towards a fellow service man. Like 99% of the jobs in the military are worthless stuff and don't translate well at all over on the civilian side.
I believe him when he says he can't find work. Especially during these tough times. I noticed you said that you're Intel, which is great, but you got to understand the job outlook for something like that is booming at the moment. Of course you are going to be well paid, and have tons of jobs lined. Guys that were stuck with some shit job like Fueler or Infantryman aren't so lucky.
Try to have an open mind outside your bubble next time.
>>
>>34053518
lol shut the fuck up
>>
>>34053526

The job I picked isn't even using my clearance. A fueler or infantryman can go to school with TA and the GI Bill just like I did, or at the very least CLEP some lower level credits.

The fact is that these guys fall on their faces because they don't care about their futures until it's too late. Yeah, maybe that's partially because they're immersed in a shit culture that doesn't value education or success outside the military, but it's still on them to set themselves up.
>>
>>34053554
>A fueler or infantryman can go to school with TA and the GI Bill just like i did
Majority of the people that go for those mos didn't do well in school in the first place. What makes you think they are going to willingly go back to college?
>>
>>34053554

So military jobs that attract low grade human beings that nobody else wants actually produce low grade civilians that nobody wants? Color me surprised.

It's not the job they're picking that is doing it to them, anon, they're inherently failures as people from the get-go.
>>
>>34053570

The GI bill will pay you cash money to do an apprenticeship. Even if they don't want to go back to college, they have one of the best training/education/safety-net resources the US can offer. They can do literally anything they want to at that point.

The military hands you the keys to success, but some percentage of veterans immediately stick those keys up their ass and scream that the world is fucking them over.
>>
>>34053601
Im aware of all that. But i've known guys that let their TA and GI Bills sit around and collect dust simply because they just aren't smart enough for school and see pursuing higher education as a waste of time. It really bums me out because now that most jobs are being outsourced or automated they will be in lot of trouble. They all either reinlist even though they fucking hate the army or wind up on the streets...
>>
File: 1443461452762.jpg (28KB, 628x479px) Image search: [Google]
1443461452762.jpg
28KB, 628x479px
>>34053554
>>34053612
>tfw enlisted in army after family disowned me
>original plan was to go through uni on GI bill
>have no vehicle, no idea how paying bills, taxes, etc even works
>don't know if I can save enough to deal with this
>will likely be a wandering bum the second I leave
>>
>>34053757

>No car

In most markets you can get a reliable used vehicle for less than $5k. Even if you're junior enlisted you should be able to sock away that cash in less than 6 months fairly easily.

>Paying bills

Assuming you're renting, some utilities (water) are often included in rent. For power/internet you usually have to sign a contract with a local company. They will send you a bill every month, most people just go to their website and pay the bill online. If you want to make it even easier, set your bills up to auto-draw from your bank account or a credit card.

>Taxes

Unless you've got some crazy tax situation, you can just use Turbotax and answer a bunch of multiple choice questions. Your taxes will be done in about an hour. If you're military you even get Turbotax for free.

Learning to adult when you've never had to can be a challenge, but it isn't impossible. Ask other adults, or do research. The military has an entire set of classes you have to do before you get out, a great chance to ask questions. Everyone else figures this stuff out, you can too.
>>
>>34053532
t. retard
>>
>>34054048
lol shut the fuck up
>>
>>34054079
t. retard
>>
Hey, meg.

Prior service with a re3 discharge. I was a corpsman in the Navy for nearly a year before I got separated, got passed Basic, A school and was almost done with C school(Ft.Sam was ass btw) till I had some anxiety issues come up.

What are my chances of getting back in? If I get the go ahead from my doc saying im good and do well on the ASVAB (got a 72 last time without studying, wanna get a 90+ this time) will I get a shot?
>>
>>34054119
lol shut the fuck up
>>
How hard is it to get out of the barracks without marrying? Talking about the army of course.
>>
If i want to go infantry do i need to worry about the mechanical or science parts of the asvab? Or do they only look at the reading and math portions of it?
>>
>>34054227
e-6 or marriage. you might be able to swing bah if you have dependants.
>>
>Parents worry about my enlisting
>Reassure them that it's just the Air Force
>Haven't told them that I'm trying for Combat Controller
>They ask what job
>Uhhhhhh... something like air traffic control

Better to tell them now or later?
>>
>>34054396
do as good as you can on the asvab because down the road you might want or have to change mos.
>>
>>34054573
you're an adult, tell them the truth.
>>
>>34054573
Tell them later, I mean you're not lying anyways because CCT is trained to do ATC stuff.
>>
>>34054592
Will the recruiter be mad if i get above a 90 on the asvab but still want to go infantry?
>>
>>34054612

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2VBmHOYpV8

My mom is meddlesome enough that she just might sabotage my clearance process if she thought I was doing something super dangerous.

>>34054625

I'm kind of leaning towards half-truth. They'll hit the roof if they find out otherwise though.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (25KB, 600x339px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
25KB, 600x339px
>18th month wait for rifleman/infantry

Just fuck my shit up.
>>
>>34054642
no
>>
>>34054573
It's literally the Air Force. Calm down. You might see the front lines to get to the donuts your CO brings in on fridays.

Don't take yourself too seriously.
>>
>>34054651
>My mom is meddlesome enough that she just might sabotage my clearance process if she thought I was doing something super dangerous.
Can they do this? My mom is against me joining at all. Can they make stuff up that would prevent me from getting in?
>>
>>34054668

>he doesn't know about AFSOC
>>
>>34054668

Uh, SOF is out in front of the front line.

>>34054677

I don't know, but I don't want to risk her trying.
>>
>>34054668
You do know that CCTs are highly trained operators that can get attached to any SOF unit right?
>>
>>34053359
Depends on what branch your going into. You ususally only have one shot at meps, so if its really bad I would just take some accutane for a while and then go.
>>
>>34054227
>>34054553

Mostly this, although some jobs/posts will let you draw BAH as junior enlisted.

You can also just choose not to live in the barracks, but you won't get a housing allowance for it.
>>
>>34052898
>you should really aim to get your degree
I'm currently in college right now, and am planning on enlisting once I graduate. Does it matter what the degree is in for intelligence? I'm a history major right now. Did I just completely fuck myself over?
>>
>>34054754
I've worked with CCs y'all talk yourselves up too much. If the people need reconnaissance they get the SEALs or FR.
>>
>>34053359
Bacne is a requirement for the coast guard.
>>
>>34054855

>my sides

CCTs are the ones who do recon for recon. They set up the covert air bases and do the initial recon, then break into teams that run logistics and CAS for the other SOF teams that come in.

Good to know that you're Navy or Marines though.
>>
>>34053433
Yeah I'm at dli right now what do you want to know?
>>
>>34054875
>this post
Sorry you failed out of bud/s and had to settle for less dude.
>>
>>34054890

...CCTs have to pass BUDs, you do know that right?
>>
>>34054849

A STEM degree helps, but honestly if you're going into government work any degree at all is a huge leg up.

If you need a more technical degree later, having your first one done will greatly expedite the process.
>>
>>34054906
Dive school. Not BUD/S.

He isn't necessarily wrong. AFSOC is some very well trained individual, thing is is their usage and job is so specialized that they are used in very unique scenarios. And thats really only if they're in an STS.
>>
>>34054906
You're a retard.
A it's BUD/s not BUDs so I know you're smoking crack out of your asshole.
>>
>>34054906
B they go through dive school which is admittedly tough but not the entirety of BUD/s
>>
>>34054906
No, you don't even go through 2nd phase you go to your own dive school in Florida.
>>
>>34054974

Huh. I thought it was BUD/S rather than just dive school since they do demo work. I could be wrong.

They wind up doing the airfield stuff more these days afaik, they do small team stuff less now. They're required to keep pace with everyone from SF to SEALs though. I'm mostly still arguing because SEAL and Force Recon fanboyism is kind of entertaining.

>>34054981

I'm not in yet. Nobody has claimed to be a CCT, only you have made nebulous claims of working with them.

>>34054992

No clue what the full thing is. They have their own demolitions training and AIT etc though.
>>
>>34054655
Does that mean you will need to wait 18 months before going to basic or what?
>>
>>34053433
I wouldn't study for the DLAB it'll show you if you have the ability or not.
>>
>>34053384
>>34053518
Strongly considering joining either Air or Army national guard. For air guard, 3D like cyber surety or possibly 1B. For Army, 35 series is what I would go for. Non-prior with some college credits and certifications.
In your experience, is this realistic? Obviously you don't get years of experience in your job in the NG, but is the training still valuable?
>>
>>34055039

Yep. Aussie here by the way. Just wish our government and military would expand its size instead of being such tight cunts.
>>
>>34054883
How hard was the test, and is it as difficult as people make it out to be? I'm afraid I'll fail it and have to pick another rate. Did you study the DLAB beforehand, and do you recommend that?

Also what language were you assigned to?

>>34055051
Yea, but i don't want to fail it and have to pick something else.
>>
>>34053278
I can't speak on 25B, but all the IT guys I know refer to A+ certs as being a joke not worth the money.
>>
Is CID (31D I think) a good MOS to get into
>>
>>34052815
Best to call or email for an appointment.
Whenever I had meetings with recruiters, they'd always get ticked off by people buzzing the front door because they're busy. Usually the people just trying to walk in didn't look very serious about joining, just window shoppers.
>>
>>34055656
somewhat. you sometimes do some in house undercover shit. one time we had someone come into the clinic i was working for an investigation on something. they wear civies, don't report to a unit, and don't have to go out to the field for shit. for what i understand they work loose schedules but have to adhear to the same standards as big army.
>>
File: 1427994962023.jpg (72KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
1427994962023.jpg
72KB, 709x765px
>>34054756

I will need orticosteroid injections which takes several months to take effect.

It fucking sucks because i wanted to go ASAP but if i only have one chance at meps, better not risk it...
>>
>>34055656
Yes, but it isn't entry level unless you have a bachelor's in an acceptable major with at least a 3.0 GPA. You also need a spotless record. The only other way to do it is reclass later in your Army career
>>
>>34055701
I'm a good boy and dindu nuffin. I also have a CJ degree with a 3.5 gpa.
I talked to the recruiter and I've already got the prerequisites
>>
>>34055757
I'm joining as 31D right now. Go for it if you want to do federal law enforcement and that alone, not because you want to join the military and it sounds like a cool MOS. It's pretty disjointed from the rest of the army.

>70 hour work weeks minimum
>Pretty much the grizzliest federal LEO work you can possible do since the army has so much filth in it
>pretty much impossible to have a personal life

That said, if 1811 work is your goal there is no better way to get there.
>>
>>34055810
I was more interested in law enforcing than soldiering. Is it really a 70 hr work week?
>>
>>34055842
They have an insane tempo. I know two agents personally and this is what I'm told. In general, federal law enforcement officers get the 25% increase to pay known as LEAP because they work so many hires. For military CID it's only 150 a month, which is laughable but whatever.

But you get BAH as a single enlisted soldier which I'm looking forward to.
>>
>>34055874
*so many hours
>>
>>34055874

LEAP makes you ineligible for overtime pay. I'm a federal employee that doesn't get it and I'm actually glad. I get that sweet OT money instead.
>>
>>34055987
Yeah it's a pretty bad deal
>>
>>34055987
>>34056027

It's 2017 and some people still think that "flat rate overtime" is some cool payscale instead of a way to save money by paying people less. LEAP is trash.
>>
What are the chances that I'll meet a nice girl in the navy
>>
>>34056172
don't touch girls in the military for your own sake
>>
>>34056172

>meet a nice girl
>in the military

I mean... it's technically possible.
>>
>>34056172
You will become the girl.
>>
i go to basic in benning soon how do i not get fukd
>>
>>34056304
shut up and do what you're told
>>
>>34055595
Yeah im aware teh A+ cert is a joke.
But employers still demand it from would be IT guys. It's retarded and I don't want to spend any money on it myself.
>>
>>34056304
don't stand out except at the range and on the apft
>>34056360
>>
How do I know if I'm doing a duckwalk correctly
>>
>>34056439
If you pass MEPS and swear in
>>
>>34052594
Will I still be disqualified for a minor case of carpal tunnel? I don't feel pain at all like other people say, just tingles in my fingers every once in a while.
>>
>>34056897
Were you formally diagnosed by a doctor? No? Then don't say shit.
>>
tl;dr Had a diagnosis of Depression some 10-11 years ago, due to a family member being a raging alcoholic.
It was entirely situational, rather than chemical issues in the brain, but I guess they do not distinguish this. Took sporadic meds for it briefly as well.
Furthermore, I'd like to go Reserve for important reasons, and the slot I am able to get ahold of is Military Police, which specifically says no mental health history/waivers for mental health.

Recruiters somewhat know about the situation surrounding that, but at the time I did not have a confirmation on if I actually happened, as my memory was fuzzy and I was tired and retarded for mentioning it in the first place, but paranoid of it coming up in paperwork requests later.

How should I handle this? If I lie, is TSC dead in the water?
I figure regardless of what I know, the situation calls for me to deny a diagnosis etc, but I feel like /k/ would know for sure.
>>
>>34056917
No I haven't, thanks.
>>
What are the civilian opportunities of EOD and Psychological Operations (37F) after retirement?
>>
>>34057162

Specialty doesn't usually matter if you retire. Military retirees usually spend the last ten years of their career as managers far away from hands on stuff.
>>
oh fuk brehs, i've been practicing the duck walk and my knees hurt
do you ever need to do this outside of MEPS
>>
>>34057240
no you tard
>>
>>34057267
please be nice i have autism
>>
>>34057286
we all do
>>
File: 1375896506195.jpg (127KB, 400x545px) Image search: [Google]
1375896506195.jpg
127KB, 400x545px
What's the worst instance of smoking you've seen?
>>
>>34052675
like infinitely harder to get into than radios. Satellite systems is mostly contracted out desu.
>>
>>34057183
My mistake, I mean't after leaving service after like 10 years.
>>
>>34057240
>>34057267
Get in the fucking bilge.
>>
>>34053359
acne isn't really that bad of a deal. I've seen some fuck ugly people with shitty acne here. if its life threatening then they'll turn you down but if not they won't care.
>>
>>34057428

EOD's outside marketability is going to be entirely dependent on whether you actually get any team time. Experienced EOD professionals are in demand in a number of sectors. Unfortunately, since the draw down there's quite a few people who serve a contract or two as EOD specialists and never actually get hands-on experience.

No idea on the marketability of PSYOP, but be aware that it isn't an initial entry MOS.
>>
>>34053757
theres this thing called re-enlisting. you dont have to leave after your first term.

and in either case, you will have figured most of that shit out by the time you leave. I'm guessing you're fresh out of basic or a really shitty soldier.
>>
>>34054151
t. retrad
>>
>>34057466
lol shut the fuck up
>>
>>34054668
I feel like a dick for saying this but you should just tell them that you'll likely end up as SecFo
>>
If you want to go Intelligence, which is the best branch in terms of once you get out of the military?
>>
>>34057524
I can't say much about America, but in Canada, Intel is considered pretty purple.
The difference between each branch is pretty minimal.
But I've heard you guys have big branch competitiveness, so maybe it'll make a difference.

I tried to go AF Intel here.I didn't get into it on account of them accepting only 2 people per year.
Good luck to you
>>
>>34055155
3D0X3 isn't what you think it is and 1Bs are selected for cross-training, so don't go to the recruiter asking to be a 1B. I'd recommend something more like 3D0X2 to match your speed.

As for Army, intel is a good field to go into, but I wouldn't restrict myself to just doing Army. the Intelligence community is supposedly more uniform throughout the DOD, as its a DOD level function. You could be comfortable in the Navy and still do the exact same shit you'd be doing in the Army.
>>
>>34057240
no. but if you can't do a duck walk I dont want you in my military.
>>
>>34053532
>>34054048
>>34054079
>>34054119
>>34054151
>>34057466
>>34057501
I didn't realize we allowed people in elementary school to join now.
>>
>>34057524
First of all, each branch does intel basically the same. As far as a career outside of the military, Air Force would have provided you with the most educational opportunities while you're enlisted. To an extent you would have a brief head start on your degree which wouldn't reduce competition outside but would definitely expedite your employment
>>
>>34057710
>t. retard
lol, shut the fuck up
>>
How frequently can you volunteer for deployment?
I have nothing to keep me at home.
>>
I'm reading very conflicting things about the 35 series for the Army, in terms of careers in civilian life. People say that there are either great, high paying jobs, or very little jobs that don't pay very well. Which is true? I'll have a degree by the time I enlist, if that helps.
>>
>>34057843
Depends on whether you can get CIA or FBI, I guess.

And why enlist if you have a degree?
In Canada, at least, you can get a commission right off the bat
>>
>>34057826
Lol, that's not how it works. Back in the height of the GWOT you could try transferring to units with high op tempo, but these days that shit is gone. The deployments are either SOF guys doing SOF things, or a veeeeeeeery small number of conventional units "deploying" to places like Bagram and Baghdad to essentially hold the place down and training and infrastructure.

The days of line units rockin' and rollin' through streets and tearing shit up with machineguns are a memory.
>>
>>34057860
I'm not in ROTC, because I didn't decide I was serious about joining the military until it was too late, and I don't stick out enough to be accepted into OCS
>>
>>34057869
What about Naval ships?
What if you swap out whenever one is in harbour?
>>
>>34057871
Intel is hard to get in, at least in my experience.
Everyone wants to be "le secret jamesbond spie"

I hope you get it. If you do have a degree, then you're likely better than your competitors.
>>
>>34057649
Thanks for the reply. I've tried to research 3D0X3 but most of the information online is vague about what the job actually entails. I would consider other branches if they had Guard components, but as it is I'd prefer not to go active duty unless something major happens (NG gets called up due to war, disaster, etc). Is it possible to have a chance to cross-train for 1B after several years as a 3D0X2, even in the Guard?
>>
>>34057843
>>34057860
>>34057871
>>34057916

Enlisted intel is not at all "difficult" to get into. It's not a competitive admission process. If you qualify, you can secure a slot.

People say different things for post-service intel opportunities because it depends a lot on the individual. There's a huge difference between a guardsman who has only gone to AIT and someone who has actually worked mission for 5-10 years.

It's easy for someone to transition from intel to a good civilian job if they put the work in. That means getting their degree, networking, and being willing to move to one of the few intelligence "hubs".

CIA and FBI are also far from the only orgs that hire lots of prior-military intelligence personnel. The intelligence community comprises *sixteen* different agencies and thousands of private contracting firms that support them. Not to mention the jobs for intelligence personnel outside the IC itself.
>>
>>34058154
What's the difference between enlisted and commissioned Intel?
>>
>>34058213

Not him, but it's like this as far as I know. The junior Enlisted do what's basically grunt work, usually nothing too fancy. They're not running agent networks, they aren't servicing dead drops, they're doing analysis, translating, writing reports, and maybe some cyber stuff if that's their field.

NCOs, Warrants, and Field Grade Officers all have basically the same jobs minus some details. NCOs do the big boy intelligence work that they don't trust junior Enlisted to do because you can't have unproven 18 year olds running around playing spy games in a warzone in addition to the management that all NCOs do. Warrants, after doing their time as NCOs, do the big boy intel work full time. They paid their dues. The Field Grade Officers do the same things that the NCOs and Warrants do plus administrative duties, but by the time they hit Major they start to move up away from the field.

Enlist, and after the better part of a decade you get to do the cool shit. Commission and you get to do the cool shit up front before you get kicked upstairs and spend more time running the show than doing the cool shit.

Also worth noting: Enlisted specialize in one field of intel, Officers are required to be generalists in theory even if they specialize in practice.
>>
>>34058058
Yeah. Cyber Surety is technically what it says it is, but its responsibilities are to Cyber Security as what paralegal is to an attorney.
But to answer your question, you should have a chance to cross train into 1B. Most cyber AFSCs make you eligible to cross train into 1B, or at least give you a leg-up.
But for ANG I don't know if you'd have much luck getting approval to cross train. The Guard is more concerned with filling job vacancies. I honestly don't even know if there are any Guard units that support 1Bs.

Im currently active duty, and what I plan on doing is a palace-front, which is when you fulfill your enlistment contract (in my case 4 years) you re-enlist in the Air National Guard. Supposedly this is better for securing you a place with your AFSC without needing to cross train.
>>
>>34058267
Isn't Intel 99% paperwork and research?

You make it sound like Human Intel is a majority.

Most of it is just doing research into past engagements and seeing what has changed in between now and then

The human factor is pretty fucking specialized
>>
>>34058213

Commissioned intel is more difficult to reliably enter since most commissioning methods do not offer guaranteed branching.

Officer experience tends towards the planning and management responsibilities in intelligence, while enlisted duties focus on the collection/analysis/production of intelligence.

That means they're each better suited for different roles when they leave the military. Enlisted personnel go on to be technicians, engineers, and analysts, officers go on to be consultants, administrators, and project managers.

If they both separate early in their careers, it's generally easier for enlisted to find a job (there's a huge market for that "5 years of experience" niche). If they both retire, it's generally easier for the officer to find a job since both of their duties will be largely managerial but the officer will have a wider scope and better network.
>>
>>34058267
>Commission and you get to do the cool shit up front before you get kicked upstairs and spend more time running the show than doing the cool shit.

This is not the case in 99 % of the IC. Most intelligence officers might do a tiny bit of analytical work as an O-1/O-2 before moving on to S-2 and other management responsibilities.
>>
>>34058303

>99% intel paperwork

Yes.

>research

No.

>HUMINT is a majority

Nah, but I know less about it.

>just doing research into past engagements

Fuck no. You might do some analysis about that, but that has pretty much nothing to do with intel outside of analysis.

>The human factor is pretty fucking specialized

HUMINT collection is done by a variety of elements. It is out of the reach of junior Enlisted though, with the exception of basic interrogations.
>>
>>34058324

Most intelligence officers don't ask to specialize in HUMINT. I don't know how your branch does it, but the Air Force rates it's Intel Officers as being 1-4 in a particular discipline, which includes things like Analysis and collection of SIGINT, HUMINT, GEOINT etc. Typically you get assigned to do what you develop competency in as you progress in your career, but if they need to fill a slot anyone will do in a pinch.
>>
>>34058349
If you disregard human Intel, what is there to go off other than research?

It's all checking books about how W forces were deployed in X territory during Y time, and it's been Z time since that happened.

The human intel of course is a factor, but for the average Intel shithead, it's all about doing book reading
>>
>>34058299
Hey thanks for the advice. I'm not dead set on 1B or anything, but it would nice to have a shot at it some time during a 6 year contract. 3D0X2 sounds fairly involved and gives you a solid background in the IT skills needed for moving into IT and cyber security in the civilian world, which is what I'm planning on doing after I come back from technical training anyway, plus my state has 100% tuition coverage for NG at state schools. I forgot to ask the first time, but what are the chances of getting a TS clearance for the average enlistee? I have no criminal history at all, no debt, decent credit, and I'm not a filthy communist. Pretty sure even my driving record is clean. Do people get denied for unknown reasons frequently? I can't think of anything that would disqualify me, besides maybe being friends with someone who has dual citizenship.

Sounds like you have things pretty figured out with what you want to do job wise.
>>
>>34058397

Dude, no.

Collections turns up a million things. IMINT, GEOINT, MASINT, TECHINT, SIGINT, and HUMINT included. Analysts take all of that when it streams into their office after certain details are filtered out, and they combine that with the sort of reports that you are talking about to come up with conclusions.

Looking just at how unit X engaged with enemy force Y at Z time is the very most basic sort of thing. It gives you very little idea of what's happening or why, and that's what intel is about. Sure you can parse together that there is, say, an IED network that came into play when you have a region suddenly blowing up large numbers of the same sort of IED, but to turn that into a product actionable for the ISR cycle you need a hell of a lot more than just after action reports written by some shithead 2Lt.
>>
File: 71DsgIrXX3L._UY879_.jpg (108KB, 659x879px) Image search: [Google]
71DsgIrXX3L._UY879_.jpg
108KB, 659x879px
might be dumb question but can infantry wear whatever watch they want?

pic related
>>
>>34058521
as long as it's all black iirc, depends on your unit
>>
>>34058414
Im honestly not even 50% certain of how I want my military career to play out. I just know Im not doing 20 years. But that's what most pension pullers say.

Anyways if you're under a TS investigation, they'll look into your history and ask people to verify that history. They'll also ask about foreign contacts, in which case they're only really concerned with non-allied countries. So if your friend has dual citizenship with Syria or something they might not grant you a TS, but that might also depend on your relationship with the person.
I knew a guy who Married some second generation immigrant girl whose parents were form some Communist Bloc country, and they denied him a TS clearance.
I could be talking out of my ass though so if you're alarmed by any of this, just take it with a grain of salt.
>>
>>34058521
Here is the actual reg from 670-1:
>Soldiers may wear a wristwatch, a wrist identification bracelet, and a total of two rings (a wedding set is considered one ring) with Army uniforms, unless prohibited by the commander for safety or health reasons. Any jewelry soldiers wear must be conservative and in good taste. Identification bracelets are limited to medical alert bracelets and MIA/POW identification bracelets. Soldiers may wear only one item on each wrist.

In practical terms is means wear something dark and subdued (black, brown, green, etc). Nothing shiny or baller. No specific reg on type, but the wording is essentially "don't be a jackass and push your luck" because an NCO of your unit can basically tell you to take your shit off and have the backing of his PL.

Now, I've seen guys wearing bracelets like the memorial ones and stuff. Those technically break regs, but it's just sort of accepted as long as it doesn't get obnoxious.
>>
>>34058679
>>34058620
aight thanks
>>
>>34058624
Thanks again. I'm not too worried about the investigation; I should qualify for a TS form what I know, so there's no point in worrying about not passing since it's out of my hands. My friend is a dual citizen of a very close U.S. ally and I have no other foreign contacts, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do
>>
>>34058704
Thanks. good luck to you too, dude.
>>
>>34052656
>>34052898
35 series here, there's some cool "frontline" jobs, but they're rare. usasoc is where it's at, tons of fun stuff, i feel bad for all my "big army" friends stuck in shit units or assignments.
>>34053384
this, 100%
>>
>>34058985

What end of 35 series? From the outside 35M looks like it has very few openings to do cool stuff unless you do something like option 40.
>>
>>34059020
i originally wanted that exact path, I'm so thankful i didn't. the mikes at my unit just basically brief our guys pre-deployment and when they come home.

I'm a november doing fox and golf work. I'm on a pipeline for "frontline/cool guy" shit and it's really fun.

airborne airborne airborne, i cannot stress this enough in 35 series
>>
>>34059077
Hey man, is it still possible to get airborne even if you didn't get it on your contract?
>>
>>34059153
35 series have a long ait, so yes. i was a volunteer at ait
>>
>>34059077

Ah. Pretty neat. I'm only starting to figure out that the 4 or 40 is what gets you into the cool shit early, otherwise it's either strat or some very underwhelming stuff.
>>
>>34059237
if you go airborne in 35 series, you will go usasoc, period. everyone else from my ait got shit desk jobs. you can get in shape at ait then volunteer for rasp at airborne. i was going to but i was afraid of washing out then losing my orders
>>
>>34059320

Ah. So 4 is the cheat code. Does that hold true for M or are Ms basically doomed?
>>
>>34059170
Thanks for answering.
>>
>>34059353
all the guys that went 35n option 4 went to 5sfg, the rest of us that volunteered got 1sfg or 3sfg or other usasoc units.
mikes are overstaffed and don't do shit unless they're downrange, a lot of them are changing mos's (mos-t)
>>34059368
no problem
>>
>>34059077
So Airborne let's you do the cool shit regardless of what path you take in the 35 series? I always here that 35F is the best for civilian careers, so would Airborne help with foxtrot?
>>
>>34059445

Neat. I wish that the other services had similar routes to doing cool guy stuff aside from SOF.
>>
>>34059460
yes my unit is full of fox's, and honestly they're the most "well-rounded" INT, but honestly its what you make of it. like right now my mission isn't even sigint.

my csm said it best, "you're first and foremost an intel analyst, your specific mos isn't important"
>>
>>34059502
they do, i have a buddy in the airforce doing really high speed shit. i met a few navy and airforce guys at airborne that had ranger tabs and shit, it all depends
>>
>>34059529

Well, I know with the air force that you can ask about special duty and green door jobs, but I don't know where to ask to volunteer for stuff like that.
>>
>>34059552
theres sof recruiters on every base. they have weekly briefings for group, regiment, psyops, civil affairs, soar etc at my base
>>
>>34059515
How long have you been in for, and how long do you plan staying in for? Have you seen any combat?
>>
>>34059320

>shit desk jobs

Hey speak for yourself, I love my cushy desk job. Good pay, fun mission, and I enjoy it. The fact that 80 % of intel just wants the cushy strat life is what makes it so much easier to go airborne/SOF support if you want to.
>>
>>34059584
2 years, no combat yet but I'm deploying in November
i have a few different paths, one of which is the full 20, i don't know yet
>>
>>34059611
deploying where?
>>
>>34059609
exactly, which is fine man seriously. more power to you. a lot of my friends love their mission doing thousands of RFIS a week
>>
>>34059618
:^)
>>
>>34059609
What are career options like for when you get out?
>>
>>34059647
give a clue
>>
>>34059655
there's a general about it daily on /pol/
>>
>>34059659
Burkina Faso?
>>
>>34059651

Honestly I'll probably just slide into a civilian job in my same office. My office is half civilians, and most of them just slid right over from working on the military side. It's a pretty easy transition to make since you're already on the inside and demonstrating competence, plus they don't have to get you spun up on how the mission works.
>>
>>34059659
o
>>
>>34059676
nothing is set in stone yet, they might put me in more school honestly
>>
>>34059678
How well do these jobs pay, if you don't mind my asking? And how long have you been in Army intel?
>>
>>34059710
you can make $80k/year as a janitor if you have a TS
>>
>>34059734
How well do you have to market yourself though? I'd imagine you'd have to really set yourself apart from the others to be making that much money
>>
>>34059761
interview just like other jobs
>>
>>34059710

Coming up on 5 years. Civilian pay w/prior experience starts around 80k, it goes lower but I'd be skipping the entry level stuff. On the higher end some of the contracts will pay 150k for someone who knows what they're doing. Obviously contractors make more than federal employees, but there's also some advantages to being a govvie. If I end up on the low end of that it won't be much of a pay raise, but I can get fat so that would be cool.

As for the actual cap? I'm not sure. I know there some folks in the IC who pull over 200k, mostly software engineers or high-level PMs. I think if I can get to the mid 100s in the next decade or so I'll be pretty happy to ride that out.
>>
>>34059734

80k is pushing it for a janitor. Well-paid cleared janitor jobs are definitely a thing though.

>>34059761

Keep in mind that probably 60% of all the government/IC jobs are concentrated in the DC area. It's not a cheap place to live. Not quite SF/NY level, but six figures is solidly middle class.
>>
>>34059782
I appreciate the info m8. How common is it for someone in the 35 series to not be able to get a job once they get out of the Army?
>>
>>34059845

Well probably a good third of guys who join 35 series just pick it at random or because it had a good bonus and don't want to make it a career. Of the remainder who want to do it in the long term, some of them will get unlucky and get shitty assignments that don't give them any experience. They have the most trouble.

A lot of guys just get lazy too, they don't bother to get good at their jobs, or they don't think they have to go to school, or they're just unlikeable people and nobody wants to work with them.

If you actually enjoy doing the job and get good at it, though, it's not hard to get a job. You have to check the boxes they're looking for though (clearance, degree, experience, works well with others).
>>
>>34053199
>Our economy is shit

Holy fuck do you actually believe that?
>>
>>34059888
thanks a ton!
>>
>>34053433
There's a study guide on Amazon that is very very close to the actual test.
>>
>>34059888
One last question, are you required to be able to learn another language? I'm sure it helps a bunch in that line of work, but is it make or break?
>>
>>34059579

Hrm. Why would they be hurting for new fodder then?
>>
>>34059950
Because people grow old and can't do highspeed shit anymore because their bodies are incapable of keeping up. Doesn't seem surprising that they're looking for sharp, talented people that can do highspeed jobs.
>>
>>34059943
Only 2 35 series jobs require language.
>>
>>34059971

Ah. Burn out.
>>
>>34060018
Pipeline attrition is also pretty high. When you have to send 5 guys to school in order to graduate one, you're always recruiting.
>>
>>34055842
mp is perfect for you
>>
>>34060047

I'm leaning CCT in the hopes of doing the broadest possible cool guy stuff. 90% attrition rate though. I might hedge my bets with a green door job if possible.
>>
File: army.png (120KB, 211x286px) Image search: [Google]
army.png
120KB, 211x286px
>>34052594
any series like Strong Start for the other services?
>>
I want $5 million in BAH. How do I acquire this?
>>
>>34060524
Win the lottery
>>
>>34057900

In the Navy you're generally assigned to a ship for several years, you don't just get to pick one that's heading out that day and hop on.

It's entirely possible you get assigned to a ship that isn't currently seaworthy (undergoing maintenance, in the final stages of building, etc) and spend your entire career without ever actually going anywhere.
>>
>tfw disqualified from the military because of extreme myopia

not even eligible for a waiver lmao
>>
>>34061388
I know this isn't the place, but does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Literally 0 idea what to with my life. Genuinely pristine record. No drugs, no women, LITERALLY 0 law enforcement interaction, I have LITERALLY never drank more than a TOTAL of 500 ml of alcohol throughout the entirety of my 23 years of life

I'm pretty distraught bros
>>
>>34061413
>myopia
prk
>>
Do firearm friendly storage units exist? I want to own funs but I'm going into the military, and from what I heard keeping your guns at the armory is pretty shitty. I've heard a few horror stories of either people stealing shit or using your guns. So I after hearing of stuff like from lurking here and from friends in the military I'd rather not deal with that.
>>
>>34061684
mwr has weapon lockers. otherwise you can store your firearms with your unit's arms room. that is if your unit has an arms room.
>>
for a lack of a better term, redpill me on SWO, /k/.
>>
Can someone go over BAH for a married couple? I'm enlisting soon and will most likely be an E-3 due to already having a degree. I hear that if you live off-post with your wife, you get BAH calculated at the average rate of rent for the area. I hear people say you can make money off of BAH buy renting a place cheaper than your allowance and then pocketing the rest. Is it really that simple? We have no kids and we're fine with living thrifty in a small place if we can make a little extra money from it. If you are married and are living off-post getting BAH, do you get any BAS too?

Now a completely unrelated question.

Did I fuck up my chances of getting a security clearance? I'm 32 now. At age 17 or so I got caught stealing a graphics card from a store. I was arrested but charges were dropped when I took some anti-theft course offered by the judge. Then in 2007 or so I was arrested for marijuana possession but not charged with anything. Spent a day in jail and then they let me go since it was a tiny amount. Did I just end my military career with those 10+ year old arrests?
>>
>>34062248
>BAH
Your understanding is exactly right. You get an allowance which is added to your paycheck to cover housing. The allowance's size is determined by whatever the military calls the "average" rate in the area. If you get somehwhere super cheap you make money, if you get somewhere super expensive you lose money. If you live on-post you don't get BAH.

>BAS
If you are living in off post you should be getting BAS since you don't have immediate access to the chow hall from your house. BAS is a global rate designed to feed just you, not your wife remember though. It gets direct deposited into your paycheck. You can also use the on-post chow hall, but you have to swipe a card and pay out of pocket unlike guys not on BAS who get it for "free".

>Jail
Probably not, but I'm not OPM. I had a clearance and knew guys who had had minor scrapes with the law, but nothing currently ongoing. I'd definitely fess up since there is a major chance of a papertrail of this and for your the coverup would be worse than the crime. Since you were arrested but not charged it works in your favor. Going for S or TS?
>>
>>34062432
Thanks for your detailed reply. My wife is an avid gardener and if we live in a place where she can grow food, we can possibly save even more due to me not spending all of my BAS. We'll probably try living on-post at first to adjust to a new way of life and help her get a job, but then we want to move off-post and (if the market is right) try doing house flipping.

One MOS I may try going for is 35G which requires a TS clearance. How quickly will I know if I get rejected or not? If I don't get my TS for the MOS, what do I do?
>>
>>34062476
Good luck with the house flipping. Around military bases there tends to be a lot of turnover, but on the other hand there are tons of military spouses with the exact same idea of being amateur realtors/flippers. Don't expect to be able to help her do renovations.

>TS
The investigation takes about a year total. You'll have between 2 and 3 meetings in the first month or two with OPM people. If they don't find anything to disqualify you, you'll go through your training with a temporary clearance until you get to a point in the training handling actual classified material. In which case, if the investigation is done you'll head right into training. If it is still ongoing, you get pulled out of training and have to wait around. Just getting pulled out of training is not in and of itself a bad sign, sometimes investigations just get backlogged. As long as your investigation is ongoing and you aren't hearing them call you in for more meetings, it's all good. You only know it's done when they are done and sign off. They don't update you during the process.
>>
>>34062515
One thing I'm not understanding is the time frames for AIT and getting TS clearance. Will I get my temp clearance to get me through AIT, or does AIT not require a clearance? If I go to my first duty station and I'm still in the clearance process, what do I do? Just work on base and wait it out? Will I get deployed if I'm still waiting for clearance?

>Don't expect to be able to help her do renovations.
She's versed in carpentry, painting, laying floors, trim work, etc. She'll be fine.
>>
>>34062554
Your temporary clearance will get you into AIT and through whatever portions are not handling TS or S material. The training is designed to have the classified stuff closer to the end than the beginning. You'll likely still sign an NDA for everything sensitive you do in training. I haven't done your MOS, but that's how it worked in my training.

>Reno
Like I said, best of luck. Doing one man band renos is tough work even if you know how.
>>
File: dawdawd.png (3MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
dawdawd.png
3MB, 1680x1050px
>be bumming around on google map
>oh hay Guam thats where that air base is at
>must be a shit place to be stationed there

so is BK staffed by natives or G.I's?
>>
>>34052882
Day-late/Dollar-short bump
>>
so my parents are convinced that i will be "eaten alive" in basic training. They think i will be hazed and beaten up because, in their words, I am "too nice and friendly" and that "everyone in the military is an animal".
I keep trying to tell them that they're wrong, but they are convinced that i'll be sock partied every night. they don't even think i can make it through basic training. Is there anything i can do to shut them up? Obviously i can't be certain since i've never been, but all of my friends who have gone to basic enjoyed it. Is basic training even that bad?
>>
>>34063142

Your parents watch too many movies. In real life BCT is mostly middle-class kids who want college money, not bullies and farm boys. Hazing is almost unheard of because of how it'll fuck over the drill sergeants' careers if it happens.

90 % of people graduate, and most of the 10 % that don't are people who quit immediately when they realize they didn't really want to join. It's the easiest part of your entire military career.
>>
>>34063142
i haven't actually been to basic yet, but here's what i understand so far

virtually everything in training is monitored, either by the DIs or other personell. you're almost never without some sort of supervision

unless you are truly the most worthless, laziest grab-asstic piece of amphibian crap that makes so many mistakes that the entire Platoon ends up having literally double PT, then no

at that point they'll generally just els(discharge) you for "lack of motivation", but also so you don't get injured by the other recruits (or DIs)

what you should tell them to worry about are infections, sickness, and injuries from wear-and-tear. Plenty of the poolees from my station have come home limping harder than a single-legged doe because they don't take care of their feet, legs, or cut their toenails improperly and give themselves ingrown toenails that get infected and refuse to get sent to the medical platoon for recovery

my personal opinion is that if you're genuinely, truly injured, and you have to strain to hide the pain, you better let yourself get hazed by the DIs before being put in medical.

extra basic is nowhere near as bad as being medically discharged because you're too stubborn to get your feet x-rayed when it turns out that they're completely broken, or you caught a pneumonia and end up literally choking to death in your sleep on the last week of basic before graduation

pretty much everyone in basic is a rude because life sucks. selflessness is going to get you nothing but respect. if you're fit and able, volunteer at least a few times
>>
>>34063213
>>34063314
thanks for the replies
>>
>>34062248
>security clearance
sorry bro, i dont think you'll be given anything higher than Secret, and even that's kinda iffy.
But you probably didn't fuck up your entire career. For the most part, any misdemeanors on your record can be waived. If you were hoping for an intel
>>
>>34062743
It would be staffed by the locals.
Any commercial enterprises run on a military installation, aside from the Commissary, is run by AAFES, which is a civilian organization. They don't have the wherewithal to staff their Burger Kings with american citizens
>>
>>34063630

>sorry bro, i dont think you'll be given anything higher than Secret, and even that's kinda iffy.

I don't know why everyone thinks it's so hard to get a TS. Anon should have no problem with how old those issues are, as long as he discloses them. I've met people with way worse histories in the intelligence community.

There's very little that is actually a hard stop for a TS investigation.
>>
>>34059914
The rust belt went red...
Growth is SHIT
Socialized services are getting abused like a neglected child
Inflation is higher than everyone in California combined

What metric do you have that I don't that makes it seem like the economy is bustling?
>>
>>34063879

Inflation has actually been a little lower than we've wanted it the last few years, we target 2 %/yr. GDP growth has been pretty good since the recession bounceback and the market is at record highs. Unemployment is also very low.

It's like people started parroting "the economy is bad!" in 2008 and forgot to stop when that changed years ago. Sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about, anon.
>>
>>34063938
>cites unemployment numbers as if they aren't padded

Yeah, I'm sure most of those people "looking for work" are so employed!
>>
>>34062248
During my security interview for T/S clearance the guy made me sound like the biggest piece of shit on the planet for a fucking toll violation which wasn't even fucking intentional. I got trapped in the wrong lane and some fucking asshole behind me wouldn't back up so I had to drive through it.

They make mountains out of mole hills If you are forthcoming they shouldn't be automatic dis-qualifiers for clearance, as far as I've seen.
>>
>>34063685
I am an upcoming T/S background and I'm pretty paranoid about it even though I have nothing to hide really, aside from the typical internet history of a chan user. I've been told it's tin foil hat shit that they check that stuff though.
>>
>>34059077
Can you break it down for a civi why Option 4 is so great for someone going 35 series? I'm having a hard time understanding. Just because you get to do some jumps?
>>
>>34065275

Not him, but it's about deployment. Airborne and special operations deploy via covert infiltration, typically by jump or swimming in. Every unit needs intel, it's a hot commodity. If you're intel and are trained enough to hang with SOF in the field then you're going to go get to do intel for them at high speed.
>>
>>34058624
This might sound really dumb, but I have a Steam friend who lives in the US but is from Russia. Never met him in person. Would shit like that be a liability for a clearance?
>>
>>34065291
What extra training would you need outside of jump school?
>>
>>34065294
Do you know him offline?
Does anyone know that you know him?

I talk to a few Russians near daily over VOIP. How would anyone ever be able to prove that unless I mention it?
>>
>>34065348
Naw, the only way anyone would know is if I disclosed it, which I imagine would be pretty stupid.
>>
>>34065328

Probably whatever AIT your unit has you do. Plus your 5 level at some point.
>>
File: the plane whisperer.webm (2MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
the plane whisperer.webm
2MB, 720x404px
What job is this? What the....
>>
>>34065481

It seems that our ATC man must be short.
>>
>>34065294
No. As long as they're not close to you enough to enable extortion. Honesty he probably wouldn't even count as a contact.
>>
>>34065481
>>34065493

*crew chief
>>
>>34065493
>must be short
>more like must be shot
>>
>>34063142
What branch?
>>
>>34063142

Yes and no.

One of the nicest dudes I know went into the Army as a combat engineer. Some thug waited until combatives training to try to pick a fight with him while the instructors weren't watching, and he had to actually fight the guy. He wound up winning, and it was seen as okay because it was during combatives.

What it boils down to is this: if you're super nice, soft spoken, and well mannered some punk is probably going to try you at some point, but that's just life. Doesn't matter if it's the military, doesn't matter if it's the civilian world. If people think you're soft you're going to have to put up your fists at some point.
>>
>>34055268
DLAB is mind bogglingly retarded. It's about an hourish long. The stuff you learn on the questions intros need to be used on successive questions.

DLI is fucking hard because leadership doesn't offer class rollbacks unless for medical reasons. You don't get switched to another language if you fail out either. 3 failed tests is a fail out.

The course itself is difficult and for the first couple months you will get fevers from overworking your brain. They put about 8 years of the target language into your head in as little as a year/half a year.
>>
>>34056172
Don't fuck navy chicks they eat that SAPR/Sexual assault shit up in all branches but especially navy&marines
>>
>>34063142
Same problem here with my mother. I don't even want her at my graduation because it's so clear she doesn't believe in me.
>>
>>34063314
>>34063361
Don't listen to that guy he's obviously a DI. Don't ever go to medical if you start dying the roving watch will notice and call 911
>>
>>34065644
Army, specifically infantry. I don't really see where the whole "too nice" thing comes from, they think because I don't swear or get in trouble I'm some sort of pussy. I'm not a shrimp either, I'' 6'2" and pretty fit.
>>
>>34065717
My parents are both like that. They're convinced i'm going to die, and they also tell me I stand no chance of passing basic because it's "too physically demanding"
>>
>>34065665
Did anyone ever give your friend any trouble after that?
>>
>>34065825

Not as far as I know. Think of it like prison: unless someone has actual cause then nobody fucks with you if they know you fight back. Doesn't even matter if you win, just fight.
>>
Talking to a recruiter in half an hour.

What are some good questions to ask? Marines btw.
>>
>>34065665
>>34065825
>>34065845

Counterpoint: I'm a pretty meek dude. Two times people have tried to start fights with me. Both times I reported it instead of fighting back. One guy got booted out of the Army, the other got UCMJ.

Guys who wanna pick fights with their own team don't need a beatdown, they need to GTFO or get demoted.
>>
>>34065873

Fair enough, and with regard to the military you're right. It still happens outside of the military though, and there isn't a hierarchy to fall back on there.
>>
I missed Poolee PT twice because of family shit.
I feel like such a shitbird.
>>
File: 521.jpg (30KB, 500x562px) Image search: [Google]
521.jpg
30KB, 500x562px
>>34065705

Dam shame, girls actually look good in Navy blue. Not that i would get anything anyways, with all those chads that join the military.

Ill stick to 2d
>>
>>34065849
Evaluate what you want to do and want you want out of the service. Ask them questions concerning the GI bill, questions about your desired MOS, PT standards, ask questions about other benefits as well. Research your desired MOS and evaluate what YOU want. Because it's you who's signing the contract therefore YOU must come up with your own questions to determine if you should enlist in the marines and to find out any relevant information. I can't read your mind so I'm only giving you general questions to ask. Remember, don't agree to anything or sign anything until you're cocksure that it's what you want.
>>
>>34065800
Army infantry is full of niggers you might be smart to go navy or air force if you're not able to fight.
>>
>>34065970
Is Marine infantry full fuckups too? Don't they have higher standards?
>>
File: Rappers-representin.jpg (49KB, 515x578px) Image search: [Google]
Rappers-representin.jpg
49KB, 515x578px
>>34065970
>>34066005
newsflash; the entire military is filled with ghetto nigs. Pick an MOS where you are tucked away so they can't rob you. Wanting to join combat arms during peace time is the dumbest shit you can do anyway.
>>
100% stupid question here.

I keep reading about uncorrected and corrected vision requirements in regards to warrant and aviation officers. Am I correct in thinking I just need to get LASIK done before I try to join and everything will be fine?
>>
Are things going to pop off any time soon, lads? I don't want to miss Korea 2.0
>>
>>34066033
What if I got an option 40? Are there loads of idiots in the rangers or airborne?
>>
>>34066045
24, eagle scout scored 97 last time I took the asvab at 18, I want a combat role.
Are there any that aren't full of retarded chucklefucks?
>>
>>34066045

>implying anyone here is a geopolitical analyst
>>
>>34066064
Shh
>>
>>34066033
>during peace time
9/11 happened in the blink of an eye, you really don't think there's gonna be a war soon with all the unfinished business going on and all the money getting pumped into the military?
>>
>>34066076

lol

Although Russia is currently capitalizing on the opportunity to take on North Korea as a potential client state with China's hardening against North Korea's recent actions. That's a desperation move though. If properly punished by international pressure they'll be forced to abort the move, which will let North Korean tensions be resolved peacefully.
>>
>>34066083
If a real war happened and the manpower was needed you'd get to fight if you really wanted to. There is zero reason to go combat arms in the mean time.
>>
>>34066083
I feel like we would need something bigger than 9/11 to happen again for Trump to get away with any sort of large scale military action. He would be crucified and we'd probably have a civil war at home if Trump got us into another war of attrition because of how uppity the left is toward him.
>>
>>34066272

>how uppity the left is toward him

Fucking Christ, the sentiments being communicated just in this tiny little snippet here are mind boggling to me.
>>
>>34066272
>Liberals
>Owning enough guns to maintain a Civil War
Good luck with that one.
>>
>>34066330
They don't need guns when they can start fires and flip cars
>>
>>34065819
in what world is it too physically demanding. you have to be a cripple to fail Marine boot, let alone Navy or Air Force
>>
>>34066342
All we'd need is a few /k/ommandos and some good ole boys to roll in a pickup truck, straight to the heart of the ghettos, and fix said problems.
>>
>>34066061
>eagle scout
please for your own sake never bring this up at basic
>>
>>34066372

>scenario suggests people are rioting as a "civil war"
>respond by suggesting going to place where people are presumably still at home not participating and ethnically cleansing it with "good ole boys"

The elaborate fantasies that you bitches come up with astound me. The most surreal part is that you aren't even self aware enough to realize just what you're saying about yourselves.
>>
>>34066399
>The elaborate fantasies that you bitches come up with astound me.
You're on 4chan, do you seriously expect everyone to be grounded in reality?
>>
>>34066555

Not really, but this is some next level shit. It's like a progression.

>If only [realistic bad situation] would happen, I could justifiably kill [people]
Normal, if juvenile. Every guy has had this fantasy.

>If only [unrealistic bad situation] would happen, I could justifiably kill [people].
Still normal, but goofy.

>If only [unrealistic bad situation] would happen, I could justifiably kill [people belonging to group I don't like]
Crosses from goofy to worrisome.

>If only [unrealistic bad situation] would happen, I could justifiably kill [people belonging to group I don't like] who have nothing to do with [unrealistic bad situation] in the first place
This shit right here goes past worrisome and it's basically admitting on an open forum "Hey, I wish I had some very thin justification to commit genocide. I don't even need solid reasoning that is internally consistent as justification in my fantasies of genocide."

I don't want these fucking people in my military. The fact that they have guns at all gives me pause.
>>
>>34066724
Keep in mind that it is summer. You can only do so much about the 13 year olds posting in here
>>
This question is probably beaten to death but I'm asking anyway - do tier 2 SEALs get a lot of direct action? It seems like rangers get sent to fuck shit up for the bigger engagements and delta gets the more interesting covert ops. So what are SEALs doing when they aren't responsible for recon and overwatch or whatever?
>>
>>34066933

SEALs and Rangers only do SR/DA. That's pretty much it.
>>
>>34065970
There were 3 black guys in my whole platoon of 56. Two quit (one after stealing bout $700), leaving only one black guy actually graduating. Also, not a single black DS. US Army Infantry is overwhelmingly white middle class kids (like me) or poor hispanics, with actually quite a few asians.
>>
Will they let me wear my fursuit in the navy?
>>
>>34066375
Noted thanks
>>
>>34066933
>It seems like

Why do you think you have any idea what Rangers/Delta do but not SEALs?
>>
File: 1396629686564.png (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1396629686564.png
14KB, 300x300px
So from what I've come to understand, you don't even get vet preference in the National Guard?

Fucking gay son, gimmie dat 368
>>
>>34068453

Most active duty veterans don't get veteran's preference either. You have to actually deploy or be disabled.
>>
What are some good jobs in the Airforce? I know Intel is the big thing but I'm wondering what else
>>
>>34069550
Chair Repair Specialist/Operator
>>
File: IMG_2724.png (644KB, 1398x925px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2724.png
644KB, 1398x925px
Hey meg, /fit/fag here. I'm joining the Air Force reserves, will I loose muh gains at BCT?

The shitTier diet and constant cardio I've heard about there has got me spooked
>>
>>34070151
Probably, just deal with it. There will be plenty of gym time once you're done with BCT.
>>
Redpilll me on 0311?
>>
Not much navy in here, but anyone make rank? Just made second first time up.
>>
>>34065873
>two times people tried to pick fights with me
>reported it up both times

goddamn you weak ass peacetime faggots are worthless
you're the kind of pussy nobody wants to deploy with
>>
>>34070939
Why can't people solve their problems via talking it out like adults instead of fighting like apes or tattle telling like kindergartners?
>>
>>34066933
>thinks airborne retards do anything but pull perimeter bitch detail for ODAs and delta

christ i've seen rangers pull perimeter detail for fucking contractors
>>
>>34070877
How much do you like the green weenie?
>>
>>34070939
>wanting to get involved in nigger shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skSIS-XueR4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chPDsCdvQ8k

etc.

people who talk shit and want to fight all the time are bad enough. And when it's just niggers doing nigger shit, why even bother?
>>
>>34053058
Ever hear of the GI Bill? That thing they do so you can become a human bean?
>>
What cool schools can Infantry dudes get in the army that ISN'T airborne?
>>
>>34071337
Sniper school
>>
>>34063142
Just fucking ignore them
You're an adult now, you don't have to listen to them. They can either support you or not support you. You need to make your own decisions either way.
>>
>>34071337

Ranger school, Air Assault, Pathfinder, HALO (although not likely outside of SOF).
>>
What interesting opportunities like infantry schools do Marines get besides Recon and MARSOC?
>>
What are the benefits of going Option 40 instead of Option 4 in the 35 series?
>>
>>34072425

Option 40 means you're getting the opportunity to go to Ranger regiment, which would guarantee you a SOF assignment. Option 4 doesn't guarantee SOF, but it does mean you can work with the other (non-ranger) SOF elements. You could also just go to a conventional airborne unit, or even a non-airborne unit.
>>
Reminder that MEPS has 0 access to your medical history and the government actually employs people to shill that they do online.
>>
I'm a dual citizen of US and Canada. Does that pose any problems with getting a DoD Clearance?
>>
I want to enlist but I have a huge gun collection and all the (((storage))) units in the area charge over $100/mo for a shitty 5x5. Do I sell all my guns or can an FFL keep my guns safe for me? What if I go in and say I'll put it up for consignment under the price of $5000 so they never sell and I can go pick them back up later?
>>
>>34072948
Don't listen to this guy, he's a MEPS doctor who wants you to fail so he meets his quota.
>>
Which one is the shill?

>>34072948
>>34073323
>>
>>34072948
>>34073323
>>34073351
Look, I used to work for a certain EMR/EHR company, and I can tell you that unless they know which hospital/clinic to ask, they won't be able to pull records. When you fill out the DD2708, if you leave the PCP/insurer fields blank, they won't be able to find out shit.
>>
>>34057395
Probably anything at service academies. They don't have the PT limits of enlisted basic so their cadre can get away with some stupid shit.
>>
>>34071137
I don't understand?
>>
>>34065294
The #1 rule for getting clearance is to not mention anything that you don't need to.

If you are being interviewed by OSI and you start sperging and saying "well, there is this one Russian guy I know..." all that will get you is more questions, and you will just dig yourself a deeper hole.
>>
>>34065189
If it's not on a record then it doesn't matter. If you have no criminal history or any personal relationships with ISIS fighters your interview will take 10 minutes max
>>
>>34069550
Cyber or anything involving RPAs
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.