[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A question for engineerfags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: flare gun.jpg (55KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
flare gun.jpg
55KB, 1155x1155px
I just ordered pic related. It's a Polish 26.5mm flare pistol. I know they make sub-caliber devices for these to allow them to shoot .22 LR or .410/.45LC, but I am interested in making my own on a lathe. I have a steel 9mm barrel liner and I wanted to know if it is possible to machine the rest of the device out of aluminum. I know barrels are generally made from steel, but 9mm isn't that powerful of a round, and the aluminum around the steel liner is going to be thicc AF.
>>
File: 1495314032349.jpg (7KB, 313x285px) Image search: [Google]
1495314032349.jpg
7KB, 313x285px
>>34047332
>but 9mm isn't that powerful of a round
>>
>>34047380
I mean relatively.
It's not like I'm trying to shoot .308 out of this thing
>>
>>34047405
I'm not sure you understand internal pressures and how they work. Your idea would end with shrapnel in your face. Not to mention your insane statement of making your own lathe for cutting anything more then soft pine. I have a question and don't take this to personal but are you 12? Because it's the only way you can be this folish.
>>
>>34047439
I have an actual lathe. I want to make my own ON a lathe. Not make my own lathe.
>>
>>34047332
You need to use steel. Aluminum simply lacks the strength and rigidity needed for a barrel. There is a reason why even the cheapest piece of shit .22 pistols have steel barrels.
>>
>>34047467
Just trust it's got to be steel, I would even worry about the backplate of the flare gun being to weak, 9mm is pretty high pressure.
>>
>>34047534
Is there any particular kind of steel it needs to be? I would think that with such a thick barrel it wouldnt need to be anything super strong
>>
>>34047588
I'd heat treat it. Or have a blacksmith do it.
>>
>>34047603
Is there any way to do that at home? I have a simple forge, but no way to accurately regulate temperature.
>>
Something else to consider about the aluminun barrel idea. Aluminum has a greater thermal expansion coefficient than steel. Meaning the more you use it in one sitting, the more likely it will turn into a bomb in your hands
>>
>>34047615
I did not know that. Thanks for the advice. It looks like steel is the way to go
>>
>>34047610
How hot can your forge go?
>>
>>34047332
you could probably get away with having the majority of the liner sleeved by aluminum but you would want steel supporting the chamber area
>>
>>34047581
I might try .38 special instead. It has a similar chamber pressure to .45 Colt which I know can be fired safely from these flare guns
>>
>>34047632
I use it to melt aluminum and it can easily get steel bright red hot.
>>
File: utility.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
utility.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>34047332
Do it OP!
Don't trust those store bought sub-caliber inserts.
Make us a 9mm prototype.
>>
>>34047588
4140 is the most common type used in barrels, you can get more than enough to suit your needs for less than $20. If you're intending on using the thing much I wouldn't use some mystery steel from the junkyard.
>>
I'll just leave this here.

https://desuarchive.org/k/thread/32406883/
>>
>>34047928
That is pretty interesting. It might be worth trying with a steel insert in 20 ga. I would just have to do the paperwork for an AOW
>>
>9mm = about 36,000 psi
>45 colt = about 14,000 psi
>45 colt (ruger) = 24,000 psi

huh. I just assumed bigger round = more pressures.

Turns out I am a fool.
>>
>>34047332
just buy the 38. spl insert if you want a 9mm projectile that bad. I'll bet the velocity wont be all that different and you wont have to worry about losing fingers or losing doggos to the atf
http://www.budk.com/Sub-Caliber-Device-for-38-Special-Ammo-31059
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.