[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /k/ hate swords?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 32

Why does /k/ hate swords?
>>
>>34029966
/k/ Does? There are sword threads here often desu
>>
No one hates swords, it's just that discussion trends towards more relevant and effective weapons, nothing against them
>>
In terms of modern day use it is completely pointless.

In terms of usability it requires a lot of practice to become proficient with vs something like a mace or a flail or a spear or an ax or etc etc etc etc

The look cool on walls though.
>>
So does anyone else like pirates?
>>
File: 1446133354913.png (115KB, 870x352px) Image search: [Google]
1446133354913.png
115KB, 870x352px
Swords are fine, swordwhores are not.
>>
>>34029966
I don't hate swords. But anyone who thinks their sword training has any real life application is a fucking moron
>>
>>34030045
>that pic
Jesus, talk about some assmad faggot on a mexican basket weaving forum over a retard's shitty opinion
>>
Not so much the weapon, just the people who refuse to believe that they weren't as awesome as they want them(swords) to be.
>>
/k/ doesn't hate swords. /k/ just hates people who still believe they're relevant in combat outside of very very specific situations.
>>
>>34030050
You could probably make an argument for physical fitness or improving mental concentration just like any martial art. That's about it.
>>
>>34030113
True but physical fitness has to go woth a decent amount of training.

Not something I really have a problem with as there are worse things with free time than hitting people with swords in a HEMA club.

There should be a combination of two gun and HEMA but with weighted facsimiles if a rifle with a bayonet or trench weaopns instead of a sword or spear. And a trench.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>not being a samurai
>>
>>34029966
because they think there is a stereotype of sword owners and they desperately want it to be true so they have something to laugh at since their life has sucked ever since they lost all those teeth and their sister refused to date them
>>
>>34029966
It's not swords, it's sword autism
And it's well known that /k/ hates every form of autism that isn't it's own
>>
File: 1484088625847.jpg (68KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
1484088625847.jpg
68KB, 500x325px
>>34029966
It's not the swords, it the people who usually are depicted with them that I loath. Pro tip: They are just as insufferable in real life as they are on the internet if you ever somehow get onto that subject with one of them.
>>
>>34030173
>not wielding a tetsubo like a real man
>>
Swords WERE great weapons before heavier armor came along, then weapons like the halberd and Warhammer took over. Then projectiles fired by gunpowder just took over after awhile. The need for melee weaponry is still alive and well, as you can see in continued use of bayonets, etc.
>>
I found a sword in my house.

It's in horrible condition, blunt as shit. How can I clean it up?
>>
/k/ hates everything

also everyone here is an asshole anyway
>>
>>34030472
What if I recognize how pointless swords are today and I own guns, but also want a saber and want to learn british military saber drills from the 19th century?
>>
>>34029966
i actually liked that show until halfway through season 2 when they made flint into a faggot. stopped watching it immediately
>>
>>34030762
Fuck, I just started it. I like Flint. Fucking hate long John
>>
>>34030787
it gets gay as fuck in season 2 bro just a heads up
>>
>>34030814
fucking why? Like the dykes weren't enough?

Also were they raping max or is it more like shop lifting since shes a whore?
>>
>>34030596
Join us :3

https://www.reddit.com/r/GunsAreCool/
>>
>>34030554
It depends. If it has actual historical value then it might not be wise to sharpen and clean it up, because you'll ruin it. Post pics of sword and of any writing or hallmarks you can see on it on /his/.
>>
>>34030554
Depending on its age, it may never have been intended for use as a weapon and not been hardened or sharpened in the first place.

Purely ceremonial swords were pretty popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries
>>
File: full autism.jpg (15KB, 448x227px) Image search: [Google]
full autism.jpg
15KB, 448x227px
>>34030045
goddamn what weeb pissed in his cheerios
>>
File: inb4 swordfag replies.png (462KB, 449x537px) Image search: [Google]
inb4 swordfag replies.png
462KB, 449x537px
>>34029966
We don't. We understand that big, skinny knives were at one point relative and dangerous in combat. But the problem is that when the subject is brought up it's usually accompanied by some faggot with a wallhanger claiming that swords are the single greatest weapon ever devised by mankind, and a guy with a sword could totally beat a guy with a gun in certain very specific situations, etc.

So we don't talk about swords too much.
>>
>>34030717
Honestly you do you, it hurts nothing and if you were stranded somewhere it gives insight into improvised weapons, plus exercise.
>>
>>34031270
>relative
*relevant

>>34030717
Whatever floats your boat, just remember to go for your gun and not the saber if somebody pulls a knife on you.
>>
>>34030152
>you will never raid a kraut trench with your gunsword
Feels bad, man.
>>
>>34030841
If by "gay as fuck" he meant "a little gay for a short period of time, after which it's never really ever referenced again," then he's right.

Relax, it's still a fun show.
>>
>>34031388
i stopped watching it instantly when it got gay so idk if it stopped being gay or not
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 640x1136px
>>34029966
Swords are the refuge of 14 year old noguns scum, to minimize autism melee weapons threads should be shunned.
>>
>>
>>34030814
>>34031388
>>34031536
They had a word for gay pirates back then: pirates.
>>
>>34030043
It's really easy to misuse a mace and ax because they are very committed swings. Easy to go off balance. Same with a flail, but if you're talking about a chained flail that's way harder to use still.

Spear is definitely easier. As for a sword being difficult, depends on the sword. Rapiers and other 'fencing' swords are hard, but double edged swords can be swung just like any of the other weapons you're talking about with a good recovery.
>>
>>34031784
wtf i hate pirates now
>>
>>34031388
>>34031536
It's gay for an episode in Season 2. Then it's not gay for a long time, they only talk about it very lightly every few episodes. Then in Season 4 they talk about it a few more times and there is one gay episode and done.

I think it was a dumb choice but overall still a good show
>>
File: maxresdefault_1_1.jpg (79KB, 1608x905px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault_1_1.jpg
79KB, 1608x905px
>>34030050
>>34030113
>But anyone who thinks their sword training has any real life application is a fucking moron
In America where you can get a gun, sure.

But in an area where the average person can't get guns and blade attacks are common, like Nigeria, I think sword training qould be a lot more relevant.
>>
>>34031221
On the side it has engraved, 'Fab De Toledo 19840 Spain'
>>
File: 1494370246161.jpg (76KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1494370246161.jpg
76KB, 500x500px
I CAN'T FIND A REPLICA SMALL SWORD WITH A REALISTIC WEIGHT

I have the cold steel one, it's about .5 lbs too heavy at 1.5 lbs. A good small sword should be about 1 lbs and balanced a couple inches from the hilt.

Where can I find a good one?
>>
File: ggg_ss_e.jpg (82KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ggg_ss_e.jpg
82KB, 800x600px
>>34032088
G. Gedney Godwin Smallsword my good man.

http://gggodwin-com.3dcartstores.com/

And here's a review.
http://myarmoury.com/review_ggg_ss.html?
>>
>>34029966
Not only are the obsolete, they're also heavy and harder to conceal than a gun.
>>
>>34032578
swords arent obsolete u can cover 21 feet and kill someone with a sword before the average person can draw and shoot someone
>>
>>34032088
this is why we hate swords OP
>>
>>34029966
diabetus, laziness, and mobility scooters make poor platforms to display THE SKILLS REQUIRED OF A BLADESMASTER.
>>
File: 562347623463.jpg (573KB, 1739x1003px) Image search: [Google]
562347623463.jpg
573KB, 1739x1003px
>>34029966

Swordsmanship is all about "Muh Honor". It is said that duelists hate, hate people that don't know how to swordplay. Historically Noble Britbongs looking to fight got BTFO out of Frog peasants, and in some cases though multiple attackers winning were noted to be dishonorable.
Do we hate swords? No, but the common uncultered swordfag is literilly one of the cancers of this board with the "katana vs longsword".

>>>34031800
>It's really easy to misuse a mace and ax because they are very committed swings.

Said nobody ever. The Danish used axes as much as swords and found that technique with axe was simpler to crush the enemy by overpowering him with a shorter blade that could effectively split both wood and mail in a swing power and position, in which can be adjusted in hand on shaft placements. The French in the 1700's started to use boarding axes, and surprisingly they were much more effective in ship and deck rapple defense as well as boarding sabotage.

The only mace in which can be misused is literally only the morning star, otherwise a mace can bat away swords while breaking limbs without the need to change blade orientation to strike after a faint. Literally the most simplest weapon to use akin to a nailed baseball bat.
>>
>>34032688
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WByjuUrXwtg

Just try to ignore the retarded overwatch heads.
>>
>>34029966
when I first got here K was all about them swords and armour
they grew up and got guns
>>
>>34032088
>I have the cold steel one

Now there's your problem.
>>
>>34030043
>In terms of usability it requires a lot of practice to become proficient with vs something like a mace or a flail or a spear or an ax or etc etc etc etc
If you aren't fighting some one used to melee weapons i don't think there is much difference between axes, maxes, spears and swords. Spears are obviously better then sword for a peasant militia but in a 1v1 vs a random person i don't think any weapon really has any advantage.

And the cutlass is basically just a machete that is a little bit better at stabbing. It was used to do field workds (cutting fasces etc) back in the day when muskets where in use so it does have some utility. Also since gunpowder made full body armor obsolete a small short sword like the cutlass became relevant* again compared to polearms and weapons like that, at least until the advent of rapid fire weapons.

*They needed it for field works anyway so you might as well use it for kill work to.
>>
>>34032845
I feel like a spear would actually be pretty useless outside of formations.
>>
>>34029966
>why do a bunch of fat retarded murriclaps who can't walk 10 meters without running out of breath hate a weapon that requires a person to be in a top physical shape to use
Gee I wonder why.
>>
>>34032855
Depends on the situation, opponent etc. If your armor is just some unarmored thug with a bat a short spear with a point that is basically like a short sword then a spear is pretty good since you can just keep him at a distance.

I mean what are we talking about? Modern day self defense in max max world against people without guns, naval battle in the 17th century or formations of landsknechts and swiss mercenaries in the 16th century?

If its just modern day autistic prepping for a shtf scenario i don't think a short melee weapon that has some utility as a tool is a bad idea for your BOB. I would take a hatchet or even a shovel but don't think its totally retarded to carry a machete, cutlass or spear had that doubles as a knife.
>>
>>34032809
Swords are so much more practical weapons than axes and maces for most situations.
In addition to a reach and agility advantage, a sword actually protects the user's hand, (one of the most vital and easiest to hit body parts in a fight) and has a major control advantage in a bind.
Top heavy weapons like axes and maces are very easy to parry with a sword. The moment the two weapons make contact, the swordsman will have far more control as the center of mass on both weapons will be near his hand. This means even a sledgehammer can be easily deflected and the swordsman then has loads of time for a counter-attack.

Generally the only melee weapons used aboard ships were boarding pikes and hangers/cutlasses. The axes were far too heavy-headed to function as practical weapons. They were primarily used for chopping wood and nothing else.
>>
>>34029966
Realistically?

Because they're an ineffective modern weapon heavily romanticised by underage cringelord autistic children constantly.
>>
File: IMG_9871.jpg (1MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9871.jpg
1MB, 5184x3456px
>>34029966
Because the people that seriously collect and study them post on dedicated forums that tend to not have too many children and neckbeards patrolling the topics.
>>
>>34032544
isn't that a colichemarde?
>>
What irritates the fuck out of me is when autists act like one weapon is better than the other as if people went into battle with just one weapon. No shit, spears are more capable weapons than swords most of the time. The beauty of the sword is that it's ready when needed to augment the spear.

People carried various weapons for various situations. Even archers were typically pretty decently armed for melee combat.
>>
>>34032892
>short melee weapon that has some utility as a tool
Don't. Get the minimum weight of tools that you need, and get more ammo for your gun.

That said, it took me a while to get guns and they could be taken away at the whim of some politicians, so I do own a sword.
>>
>>34033188
>Don't. Get the minimum weight of tools that you need, and get more ammo for your gun.
A cutlass weights ni more then two full STANAG magazines of 5.56 and it can be used to harvest kindling, carving, skinning, splitting skulls etc so its not like its dead weight even if you aren't using it as a weapon and unlike a small knife it is actually useful as a melee weapon.

But melee weapons are obviously more relevant in places like the UK then in the US. If you want a light kit that you're able to harvest firewood with you can't beat a folding saw and a small knife. The saws are so good today that you don't really need a dedicated chopper.
>>
Why not learn knife/dagger fighting for practicality?
>>
>>34033070
No you fucking nigger. You can't "easily deflect" an axe much less a sledgehammer because guess what, swords are lighter, they bend a fuckton and if nothing else axe's momentum won't disappear when you touch it with a sword.

Also it is much easier to get proficient with an axe than a sword, if you'd ever cut something with a proper sword you'd know how much practice it takes to properly damage something with a long blade (hint, sworda don't cut with sides)
>>
>>34033070
And if i go full autism, find me someone that is dumb enough to bind a sword with an axe or a mace.
>>
>>34032688
They are obsolete as fuck. Please commit most honorable seppuku faggot-san.
>>
>>34029966
Swords are fine, swordfags are abhorrent
>>
>>34031914
Maybe, but thats still more of a krav maga style fighting, HEMA longsword duels or fencings are highly unlikely to save you in the event some madman attacks you in the street with a machete

But maybe im wrong, im sure that a grasp on footwork, balance and reach can benefit anyone in any melee combat
>>
>>34033466
>krav maga style fighting

>krav maga
>fighting
pick one
>>
File: 2XFCUVv.jpg (111KB, 902x722px) Image search: [Google]
2XFCUVv.jpg
111KB, 902x722px
>>34029966
Swords are the pistols of melee weapons. You only use them if you can't carry anything bigger and better with you.
>>
>not doing HEMA
>not helping to keep the martial historical traditions of Europe alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoQlvc_H3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohmLaZHStmI
>>
>>34029966
There aren't enough sword threads being posted and it's easier to join a good shooting range than finding a good HEMA group.

Otherwise the /v/irgins and fa/tg/uys invade the threads and start to shitpost.
>>
>>34033218
A machete is half the weight of a cutlass, still an accepable weapon... and with the rest of the weight, you get 30 rounds of 5.56. That's thirty dead enemies; think you could dispatch that many with your cutlass?
>>
File: For+the+day+we+see+new+lightttt.gif (406KB, 225x199px) Image search: [Google]
For+the+day+we+see+new+lightttt.gif
406KB, 225x199px
>>34031355
>that wood finish
>that bayonet grip using similar wood
>that bayonet size
>that heatshield on the barrel

WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU DONE TO ME /K/, I'VE GOT A BONER FROM A WEAPON!
>>
>>34031810
It ain't a real pirate ship until somebody sodomizes the cabin boy. The same with navy ships of the day. And cowboys on long cattle drives, just to ruin that one for you too.
>>
>>34033417
Against an unarmed opponant or one with only a pocket knife sure but you'll be outmatched against a bat or a long stick.

>someone is stupid enough to somehow hit with the flat of a blade despite handles being made to prevent that and blade geometry making air resistance aid landing edge first
Holy shit, there are actually fucking axeaboos in this godforsaken rock and they are dumber than swordfags.
>>
File: French_grenade_catapult[1].jpg (159KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
French_grenade_catapult[1].jpg
159KB, 500x376px
>>34034231
>>34031355
WWI was really fucking weird.
>People still getting run through with swords and lances
>Maces and flails used on trench raids
>Soldiers still wearing heavy steel breastplates
>Sappers and counter sappers like a fucking 16th century siege
Pic is a catapult. A motherfucking catapult.
>>
>>34029966
It's because machetes are 90% as good at under 10% the price.
>>
bs
>>
>>34033139
>Good sword - syntethic bag
>>
>>34035684
Are you clinically retarded...?

Anyone that put some effort into properly using a sword knows how much training it takes to strike a moving target PERPENDICULARY, or risk it bouncing off in most cases.

If you don't believe me, ductape a knife to a pole and go cut water bottles with it.
>>
>>34035684
Fuck i alwaya forget something.

Handle geometry helps when you know what you're doing with your weapon but no amount of air will correct your aim while holding it in your fucking hand.

Just admit you don't have a clue
>>
>>34030045
>That pic
absolutely assblasted autist upset about weeb autists
>>
File: 1385844596694.png (161KB, 635x349px) Image search: [Google]
1385844596694.png
161KB, 635x349px
because (((they))) fear the blade.
>>
File: laughing detectives.jpg (78KB, 500x562px) Image search: [Google]
laughing detectives.jpg
78KB, 500x562px
>>34033070
>Top heavy weapons like axes and maces are very easy to parry with a sword.
>The moment the two weapons make contact, the swordsman will have far more control as the center of mass on both weapons will be near his hand.
>This means even a sledgehammer can be easily deflected and the swordsman then has loads of time for a counter-attack.
>>
>>34035704
It's even weirder when you consider the US Civil War fifty years before had a lot less of that archaic shit.
>>
>>34029966
i love them, but i really like most weapons. except for oriental stuff.
>>
>>34035704

Wait until you hear about baron Ungern

>tfw ywn lead a mongol horde in the 1920s
>>
>>34036723
. He was taken prisoner by the Red Army and a month later put on trial for counterrevolution in Novonikolaevsk
>After a six-hour show trial he was found guilty, and on 15 September 1921 he was executed
GODDAMN

FUCKING

COMMUNISTS
>>
>>34036810
>one of the bullets deflected off of a talisman and hit one of the firing squad in the face
>>
>>34036810
Gotta admit : the Russians were rightfully scared shitless of the idea of a renewed Mongol Empire with guns.
>>
>>34033070
>Top heavy weapons like axes and maces are very easy to parry with a sword.
They are not. But here is the thing: people overestimate value and use of parry because movies. Fighters rarely party strike in non-armored combat.
>>
>>34032845
>It was used to do field workds (cutting fasces etc) back in the day when muskets where in use so it does have some utility.
Cutlass is naval thing and it was not used for field or any work. You are thinking of infantry and sappers swords and sabres.
>>
>>34036887
if you have a sword, and just lunge forwards without parrying while the opponent has a similar sword, you will likely get stabbed first.
>>
File: 45654364363654.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
45654364363654.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>34029966
>>
>>34036940
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5IOICapspM

they work when they work
>>
>>34030152
there are some HEMA practitioners who study 18th-19th century sources that deal with bayonet. The problem is that the sources are often extremely basic and simple, containing maybe 2-3 guard positions, 2-3 parries, and 2-3 attacks. Because they were meant to be taught to soldiers en masse as a basic system of achieving a simple level of skill to hold their own in hand-to-hand combat.
>>
>>34036965
So does my washing machine but I won't take it to a fight.
>>
>>34036927
Or you can stab first guy who tries to stab you first when you try to stab him.
>>
>>34030717
So they're outclassed by modern firearms when it comes to combat. So what? I don't need a practical reason to like swords. This isn't just a self defense board, so it's ok to talk about aspects of weapons other than self defense. A big part of why I'm in to weapons is the historical aspect. Swords were a huge part of human history. Other humbler weapons like the spear and bow probably had a bigger impact on the battlefield, but swords were significant for the role they played in society. So, training with a sword and studying the old texts on swordsmanship can tell you a lot about the society that those techniques came from.

So while it's true that they aren't as important in modern times, that's kind of why I find them so interesting. I'm fascinated by the era when battles were fought with melee weapons because it's so different from how war is fought in our time.
>>
>>34032855
it's not. spears are very useful 1v1 as well. They're fast and outreach other hand weapons.
>>
>>34036910
>Cutlass is naval thing and it was not used for field or any work. You are thinking of infantry and sappers swords and sabres.
Literally used in the sugar cane fields in the Caribbean
>>
>>34033417
you don't know what you're talking about.

a sword is not significantly lighter than a fighting axe. You absolutely CAN deflect axes about as easily as you can swords, and an opponent with a sword can more easily redirect his attack to avoid your counter, a guy with an axe is more committed to his action.

it is not easier to get proficient with an axe vs a sword. That's nonsense.
>>
>>34029966
We do not. /k/ loves swords. We don't like bullshittery (katana fags, wallhanger fags, hollywood fags, etc), about swords or any other weapon, actually.
>>
>>34033466

>HEMA longsword duels or fencings are highly unlikely to save you in the event some madman attacks you in the street with a machete

>But maybe im wrong, im sure that a grasp on footwork, balance and reach can benefit anyone in any melee combat

any experience using an object as a self-defence tool will help. I mean, sure I do HEMA with a longsword or arming sword or messer or whatever, but hand me a stick, or a bat, or a steel rod, or a hammer, or a hatchet, and I'm reasonably sure I could use them reasonably effectively to defend against attacks.
>>
>>34036643
other than guys still lining up in rows
>>
>>34035704
WWI is fucking grimdark. There's a reason why the faggots at Games-Workshop draw so much from WWI for the 40k universe.

>>34036965
cavalry in WWI give me a hardon. So fucking bad-ass. Dem WWI uniforms, combination of guns and sabres and lances but on horseback
>>
>>34036973
Its not a weapon, anyway your army needs and uses washing machines

>>34036986
You can do that, while staying alive, through parrying
>>
>>34037432
>You can do that, while staying alive, through parrying
Parry is not necessary in your example. You go with presumption that guy counterattacking wins (wtf lol but lets pretend that is true and proceed with this presumption). So A attacking B, B counterattack A and therefore B should win. But B counterattacks A in response of B counterattack and therefore A win. Tadam.

Video has no connection with post above
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKCk9TyURkY
>>
>>34029966
Because they slamfire when you chamber a round
>>
Can everyone who hasn't held a sword or used a sword please shut the fuck up about what a sword can or can't stop please?
>>
>>34037755
Well i am going off of the ww1 swords, i fence epee and that is closest, unless we are talking about sabres of course
>>
>Why does /k/ hate swords?

Obsolete in the extreme therefore only for larping, ever. Most swordfags are weebtrash or other mental defectives.
>>
>>34037028
>You absolutely CAN deflect axes about as easily as you can swords

Nope. And you'd be dumb shit to try.

>it is not easier to get proficient with an axe vs a sword

That I agree with. Mastering the ax would take more work imo
>>
>>34037046
this guy is right. the thing about medieval european swordsmanship is that it is a system that can be applied to anything from a knife to a poleaxe. It's all the same footwork and the same transitions.

>>34031914
>man with machete descends upon you
>pull out your machete because you're in the kind of place where everyone carries machetes
>block and countercut or cut and countercut.jpg
>muboonga now has a pretty bad case of machete to the clavicle
>literally no idea what fucking hit him because even in parts of the world where people are murdering each other with melee weapons it's the equivalent of niggers "fighting" in the ghetto. wild swings and no concept of timing, reach, balance, or footwork.

something like a hardwood cane or a full size 24-35" machete works perfectly with proper technique as weapons. a machete is in essence a messer.
>>
>>34029966

I know they're impractical but I still like them because they make me feel like a knight.
>>
File: 1 v 1 me bandit.jpg (39KB, 225x360px) Image search: [Google]
1 v 1 me bandit.jpg
39KB, 225x360px
>>34032855
spear plus a big ass knife in your belt is a winning combination. harassing strikes that can kill a guy are a pain in the ass to get around.

there's very little someone can do to get around a 1 v 1 sword vs spear with the spearman constantly going high low with pool cue jabs.

there is a reason why a 7ft long walking stick with a steel foot cap and swell at the tip was one of the most common defensive tools of the medieval traveler.
>>
>>34038939
>wild swings and no concept of timing, reach, balance, or footwork.
its funny but people with no fucking training actually naturally understand concept of timing, reach and footwork in swordfight. Their executions are clumsy but basics are there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZXGiUghvm0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUZNJ7ES2pQ
>>
>>34038999
>there's very little someone can do to get around a 1 v 1 sword vs spear with the spearman constantly going high low with pool cue jabs.
For non-armored combat sure. Armor changes things.
>>
>>34039112
>two island niggers doing the same shit they do "fist fighting" where the leave themselves wide open and attack when they're too far away while being too afraid to close the distance
>>34039129
if it was a time when all yeomen in england or the relative continental social class of such had to have arms according to their station, if it was serious enough for polearms you probably have your own armor on. otherwise you'd just have a sword.

poleaxes were actually considered the preeminent home defense tool for manor houses. along with crossbows. hallways and long thrusting weapons actually mix very well.
>>
>>34039167
>hallways and long thrusting weapons actually mix very well.
That's why my home defense gun is a nugget with bayonet.
>>
File: 1468229586612.jpg (8KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
1468229586612.jpg
8KB, 230x219px
>>34039167
>poleaxes were actually considered the preeminent home defense tool for manor houses. along with crossbows. hallways and long thrusting weapons actually mix very well.
>ywn be a anglo nobleman defending your manor with your great great grandfathers halebard from a bunch of ruffians in the middle of the night.
Why even live
>>
>>34038399
Edgelord detected. But just for you
>modern weapons are boring as fuck and anyone that uses them is a fucking pleb
>>
>>34037028
We probably have different axes in mind. In any case, presuming the sword weights the same as an axe, axe has a much bigger momentum and you absolutely don't want parry it with a sword. In most cases you don't want to parry a sword either, that's what footwork is for.

How many people in history have used swords in their lives? And how many have used an axe? Even if someone doesn't have a clue about fighting they can still just bludgeon you with an axe.
>>
File: ezgif.com-resize.gif (3MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif.com-resize.gif
3MB, 600x338px
>>34029966
I imagine a lot of /k/ swordposters are like these guys in pic related.

Of course the people who collect swords for historic value are the exception. Why can't more swordfags be like them?
>>
>>34030045
fucking semi intellectual assmad autists
The weak should always fear the strong
guns made it easy for no skill, poor, retarded faggots to have a fighting chance against people who devoted time, money and effort to learn how to fight
>>
>>34042891
Someone actually made a fighting manual for lightsaber fighting. Not a weeb but a proper one alike to historic manuals. Saying that, as a HEMA guy i too find it borderline cringy.

What's wrong with keeping historic knowledge wrong though? Collecting swords without knowing how to use them seems to me like collecting post stamps cause they're pretty
>>
>>34042910
>t. assblasted samurai weeb
>>
>>34042916
I said people who were in it for the historical aspects are 10/10. I am talking more of the "Hurr durr Swordz r beter than gunz" faggots. I think people who do the old drills are precious to keeping the historical use of weapons alive. I regard re-enactors the same way. It's just those faggots who say "Swors r bettr n muh honor" irk me.
>>
>>34042916
Ment to write "historic knowledge alive"
>>
>>34042926
i have never owned a sword or watched chinese cartoons in my life
>>
>>34030043
>pointless
>>
>>34030043
>In terms of modern day use it is completely pointless.

Any short sword that's similar in design to a machete is still pretty useful as a dual use survival tool/weapon in the right environment. (Bolo, Gladius, Kukri etc)
>>
File: Flail-1-ball-91-p.jpg (21KB, 800x521px) Image search: [Google]
Flail-1-ball-91-p.jpg
21KB, 800x521px
>>34030043
>>34031800
>>34035704

These one-handed flails never actually existed.
Despite being very common in fictional works such as cartoons, films and role-playing games as the "quintessential medieval weapon," historical information about this type of flail is somewhat scarce. A few doubt they existed at all due to the number of pieces sitting in museums that turned out to be forgeries, as well as the unrealistic way they are depicted in art.
>>
File: 152-mec2007-v.jpg (640KB, 1485x3072px) Image search: [Google]
152-mec2007-v.jpg
640KB, 1485x3072px
I like swords.
I like the idea of martial arts.
I like watching blokes have a go at each other with sharp sticks and edges.
That's it. Some people read too much into it. I have a favorite sword on principles, even though it's not much based on stuff like my would-be skill with it or how useful it might be in X scenario.
>>
>>34030045
>killing isn't honorable
>killing isn't something you idolize
clearly this man has been jewed
>>
>>34029966
Sword fencing/Historical European Martial Arts is just what it says on the package: martial arts
Why would /k/ have a problem with that?
>>
>as a
you have to go back
>>
>>34043809
They actually did but the records of them are rare because most knights rightly recognized that they're as dangerous to the wielder as to the target.

This myth comes from the early days of HEMA when people were having trouble finding examples of flails. As more manuals and records came to light you saw flails begin to show up.
>>
>>34044483
Nope. There are no records or historic examples that hold any water.
Only some depictions in medieval fiction as for example in "livre des merveilles du monde" from 1400-1420.
Pic related is from that book.
>>
Swords are cool. The average sword fan is a faggot. That's why.

>>34031800
What is edge alignment?
>>
>>34030074 >>34030596 >>34031225 >>34036559 >>34042910 >>34043964
You retards realize that was just Hunter with his trip turned off right?
He was banned like 8 times in that thread before he posted that
>>
>>34030043
2014 Kunming attack begs to differ.
A few untrained dirt poor farmers were given a sword, a target and a check to their families if this one job was carried out.
30-40 dead, 100-200 seriously wounded.
Obviously a sword is deadly to anyone who can swing their arms.
Even a 6 year old would be able to sever your limbs with a sword because they are sharp and a mace is not.
>>
File: 16thCenturyLongswordsBastards.png (650KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
16thCenturyLongswordsBastards.png
650KB, 2048x1365px
>>34033139
Yep. MyArmoury is an example.

I love swords and melee weapons. I'm not stupid enough to think they'd do anybody much good in a world with guns, I just love looking at them and reading about them.
>>
>>34043821
Barta makes such pretty swords
>>
>>34030045
>glorious nippon autism, triggered over one thousand times
>>34045039
Only a master spergsman such as Hunter could craft such a fine rant. I'm not surprised.
>>
>>34046364
Love that Schweizer Säbel (2nd from left, top row)
But I wonder how well it would handle in any technique that requires crossed wrists.
>>
>>34046411
Yeah, I've wondered about stuff like that too.

Aesthetically I really like the look of long-hilted sabers, especially when they have some sort of hand protection. Don't know why. But I'd think it would make certain things hard to do if you were actually in a fight.
>>
>>34030044
They're alright. Vikings did it better.
>>
>>34032821
Yeah, cold steel makes nothing more than sharp clubs shaped like swords. They're beyond durable, but they make piss poor swords. Ritter steel or Albion make better weapons.
>>
>>34033070
Found the Chivalry player. You probably think you can parry a maul with a dagger, too.
>>
File: flail7_498.jpg (64KB, 527x799px) Image search: [Google]
flail7_498.jpg
64KB, 527x799px
>>34043809
>>34044681
How's your first HEMA class? Do you want to enlighten everyone on how much katanas suck?

There may not be many medieval examples from western Europe, but there were a fair amount of examples from other countries in Eastern Europe and Asia.
>>
In my opinion, a guy who owns a sword (that isn't an antique) and doesn't ever train with it and keeps it on the wall as a decoration is worse than someone who actually swings it around for fun.

Like having golf clubs just to look like you are interested in golf.
>>
>>34032811
Fuck, that's hilarious. I need to start watching that show again
>>
>>34029966
I just don't give a shit. I don't usually interact with them, I'm just confused with the love.
>>
>>34036973
>>34037432
>So does my washing machine but I won't take it to a fight
>Its not a weapon, anyway your army needs and uses washing machines

these two fag not knowing of the power of a good Washington machine on the battlefield
>>
>>34030173
>not cleaning your carpet like a non-autist
>>
>>34029966
i think its because people go out of their way to buy shitty knock offs. i have a single sword. a wakizashi that was a war trophy from japan from ww2. never will i use it. i do have a training sword that i did use for training, but by training i mean batting practice to level out my swing better.
>>
>>34049975
you think the carpet is the problem? it's a chintzy BudK plank covered in dust and fingerprints.
>>
>>34050069
Looks more like accumulated shitposting and failure.
>>
>>34048668
Oh, look! Another katana memer!
Not a single one of these onehanded flails is authentic.
There is a reason most of them have been quietly removed from musem exhibitions.
>>
>>34036269
I'm not sure what this comment means but I'm guessing either your autism and/or neckbeard is heavily involved.
>>
>>34030596
>>34030596

How pathetic must you be to base the enjoyment level of your hobbies on whether or not certain strangers on the internet like said hobby.
>>
>>34031800
>Swords are 3lbs total
>axes are 3 lbs total
>maces are 3 lbs total

Our ancestors knew what weight to make their weapons to make them wield smooth.
>>
File: 800px-2_chigiriki.jpg (348KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
800px-2_chigiriki.jpg
348KB, 800x1067px
>>34051863
Don't be mad because you think Western Europe is the world.
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.