[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

USPSA/IPSC thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0608.jpg (10KB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0608.jpg
10KB, 252x200px
Hey guys, not sure how many competitive shooters are on /k/ but I'm bored so here goes...I just made A class in USPSA shooting limited minor. I'd really like to reach master/GM at some point and the common thought is that is incredibly hard to do shooting minor power factor. All my pistols, with the exception of a handful of 1911s in .45 are all 9mm. I was thinking of getting pic related in 40s&w but it hurts my soul since I have talked so much shit on 40 over the years. What's the opinion of the competitive shooters here? Is it worth the lack of handicap in scoring to shoot major?

Also general shooting sports thread
>>
File: IMG_0535.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0535.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>34025257
Should mention that this is what I've been shooting limited minor with
>>
File: IMG_1779.jpg (463KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1779.jpg
463KB, 2592x1936px
You're going to need to switch over to 40sw and load for it. Yeah it sucks but just do it, unless you want to run a hot 9 dillon. I'm building a 2011 in 40sw that I've been working on for fucking ever; just about to finish. I've actually kind of switched over to 40 (g20 and the 2011) from 9mm.
>>
Mostly just noguns and horders who own 50 (shitty) guns but never shoot them.

I'm only just starting in USPSA but imho I'd just stick with 9mm. Focus on A zone hits and going faster.

I also agree that .40 is a shit round but if your convinced that the couple of points your dropping because of minor C or D zone hits is what is holding you back the I guess I'd go with it.
>>
If you're a consistent a class shooter and not just a tardmonkey that games qualifiers you're probably better than me so take it with a grain of salt, but I also haven't shot competitively for years because the scene is dead around here.

9 major is a relative pain, you will need to segregate brass, and range pickups become an uncertain proposition. Might as well jump to 38 super before an errant piece of stepped low volume brass ruins your day. I also broke a couple extractors shooting 9 major in my 34 and 17L but that could have just been coincidence... plenty of evidence out there of many guns getting beat up over 9 major though.

40 is the intelligent choice, you will easily make major and 200s loaded with fast powders are so soft shooting it's unbelievable. Plus 40 brass is dirt fucking cheap.

Unless the cutoff for major/minor has changed significantly in the past few years or some other ruling comes in that I am not privy to you would be nuts to stick with minor.

I also despised 40 until my agency started issuing them and I felt I needed to shoot what I had to carry. It was a long battle to not hate the cartridge (and I still hate the m&p I am issued) but it has a lot of benefits for a gamer.
>>
/k/ and competition don't mix that well

half the people on this board are noguns
40% are poorfags
10% spend actual money on guns

and out of those 10% there are maybe 5% who do a little to actual competition shooting

get the 40sw for major factor and be happy man
but remember with ammo prices you might have to start reloading your 40s
>>
File: g17mos_viper.jpg (1MB, 2304x1440px) Image search: [Google]
g17mos_viper.jpg
1MB, 2304x1440px
Just got my Viper in for my G17 MOS. I need to get to the range right after work on Friday so I can get it zeroed for my match on saturday.

Carry Optics is gonna be fun.
>>
>it hurts my soul since I have talked so much shit on 40 over the years

Making USPSA Major is actually one of the few places where 40 is actually more practical than most other choices. Go for it.
>>
I'd like to get into practical shooting at some point in the future (once finances are squared away). How many rounds do you anons tend to go through in a year?
>>
>>34028031
depends how shit you are

joke aside, if you have reached a certain level of skill you can go through the year without training even once and still perform pretty well at competitions

however to reach that level or stay above it will require traning and thus ammo

you can calculate 3000-10000 rounds a year if you do actually train besides shooting matches

normalfags do 1500 rounds a year or so
>>
File: S&W 1911.jpg (175KB, 1000x999px) Image search: [Google]
S&W 1911.jpg
175KB, 1000x999px
>>34025257
what would you say is a decent 1911?
i was thinking of S&W in 9mm or 45acp
>>
>>34028428
1911 in general, or for competitive purposes?
>>
>>34028031
OP here. I shoot between 1000-1200 rounds/month practicing on average. i shoot 2-3 matches/month which are around 150-250 each. It pays to reload in this game.
>>
>>34028010
I placed my order. Pretty much had my mind made up, but thanks for confirming.
>>
>>34028428
I own that very same 1911.

It's nice.
>>
>>34027609
Carry optics would be fun...I plan on shooting CO after I classify with PCC
>>
>>34028428
A lot of guys who shoot single stack have custom or semi-custom guns. That being said, a lot of those are based off of Springfield frames. As far as out of the box 1911s go I would say STI, Springfield, S&W, Sig, Colt are all solid options...I really like Sig's 1911s in particular
>>
>>34029110
it is for IPSC Classic major and minor shooting
Don't ask why i want 2 it's complicated
>>
>>34029171
any known problems with it i should know
before i buy it?
>>
>>34029210
so it is more about prize with these guns?
>>
>>34029321
Trigger is pretty stiff in my opinion, but I'm basing it on a sig tacops.

Buy good magazines for competition?
>>
>>34029341
OK, i think i could handle that.
Thanks
>Bro
>>
>>34029328
People attach their egos to their guns, it's just the way it is. But 1911 owners/enthusiasts can be on another level
>>
>>34029391
Welcome!
>>
>>34029406
I see.
Thanks for the advice
>>
>>34028031
>How many rounds/year
when I used to have land/time where I could shoot:

~7000 - .22
~4500 - 9mm
~ 200 - 30-30

its been zero/year for the past 4 years, though last month, I sandbagged a friend of a friend at a BBQ pretending it was my first time shooting.
>>
>>34025257
.40 is the best option for you if you. You will need to get into loading weaker .40 and adjusting your recoil spring.

I *think* you want around 9lbs for the shadow/shadow 2
>>
>>34025257
just go shoot major

why anyone would shoot lim minor is beyond me
>>
>>34028070
I've had my first pistol for 9 months and I've put 3k rounds through it already.
>>
>>34029210
Dan Wesson?
>>
>>34031190
I love Dan wessons, they seem to be more popular regionally...same with Wilson's and nighthawks
>>
>>34025257
>hurr durr I can't into competitive shooting with .40S&W because of what people say about its terminal ballistics with regards to 9mm or .45ACP
>durr hurr this all matters still even though we are talking about a competition setting with rules and it just so happens .40S&W fits the bill for most USPSA/IPSC shooters even though it isn't the best carry round even though I am killing paper not people hurrrrrr

Don't be an idiot
>>
>>34031299
Dang guy, triggered much? All I said was I just so happen to shoot a lot of 9mm and do well with it. Making the change to 40 for more points. Piss off.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.