[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Safeties

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: safe action™.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
safe action™.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1vLQAUvdy0

Was going through old Forgotten Weapons videos and found an interesting pistol safety. It's essentially a manual safety in the grip, so that you squeeze it once and it's deactivated until manually activated again. It is the perfect pistol safety system, as it's less risky than normal grip safeties and manual safeties, safer than a Glock, and doesn't need a heavy trigger like a DA.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>34021667
Squeezing, using the whole hand vs flipping, using only your thumb.
>>
>>34021667
It's more complicated than the competition, and isn't an automatic thing like a normal grip safety, so you have to think a little more before holstering. Still, very neat.
>>
Won't it be actuated as you unholster it anyway? Making it essentially as safe as a Glock.
>>
I like it. It's like a grip safety with a "decocker". I'm not fond of that particular implementation, seems to take a bit of force, but the concept is nice. I think the only downside is that you need two hands engage it before reholstering.

>>34021832
it seems no more/less complicated than a manual safety. Pull to engage safety, squeeze to disengage, same as flipping a lever
>>
>>34022060
The main safety issue with Glocks is shooting yourself while holstering, this makes that way less likely.

>>34022103
Of course this is a pretty clunky gun, all the safety needs to really be is a grip safety that stays in when pushed, and has a switch on the side or something to reactivate it.
>>
>>34022189
>grip safety that stays in when pushed, and has a switch on the side or something to reactivate it.
sounds like a fun 1911 project. Grip safety latches on, turn the manual safety into the grip-safety-release
>>
>>34021667
Similar to the P7 but backwards and not as safe. Still a good system and better than a traditional flip lever safety.
>>
>>34022443
Yep

To OP - the safety is a further complication which means higher prices and more chances for failure. firearms development is all about streamlining design and production
>>
>>34022443
P7's safety is interesting, in that it cocks the primer popper too. Wonder why it never caught on...
>>
>>34022528
IDK but it's hard to change habit and levers are pretty well established. I'm still hating myself for not having the cash to buy one from a friend of a friend when he was unloading all his funs because of his divorce.
>>
>>34022443
Putting it on the front could be a good idea. The P7 may be safe, but squeeze cocking is not a good idea for any pistol below the price range of the P7.

>>34022524
It's as complicated as any manual safety, which is to say not complicated at all.

>>34022528
You have to be well trained with it, and have a good grip to make sure you cock it fully on draw. The P7 is stupidly complex, but that style of safety certainly doesn't need to be.
>>
>>34022676
I don't think price range has anything to do with it. They could make a poly frame pistol with a poly squeeze bar ala P7, and as long as it was built right I wouldn't care about carrying it. The P7 is expensive because it's a collectors item, it's not current manufacture, and it's all steel.

Like you said in the response to the other anon, it requires training to use this kind of pistol. Most lever safety pistols can be adapted easily but this is a whole different animal.
>>
>>34022865
What I meant by the price range comment is that squeeze cocking doesn't work well for an everyman's gun. It requires skill and training to use reliably, and most people don't want to deal with it. The experienced shooters that bought the P7 could no doubt make it work very well.
>>
That's actually pretty cool. I like it OP.
>>
>>34021667
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf410MfFqTw
This pistol has a way better implementation of the same type of safety.
>>
>>34023361
that one certainly looks better. To reholster just press button, then thumb the slide to get off the safety.
>>
>>34022528
>>34022676
I don't get why every grip safety I've seen is on the back of the grip, yet the P7 cocking thing is on the front. Clearly it wouldn't matter too much, but what's the difference in safety and ease of use with the two positions?
>>
The perfect safety is not pulling the trigger.
>>
>>34025355
/thread
>>
>>34025355
>>34025398
"The shooting community always blames the operator for every accident and never considers the role that equipment plays in making some guns more or less likely to facilitate those accidents"
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.