[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Colt Single Action Army

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

I've been daydreaming about a Colt Single Action Army for awhile now. Just seems like an iconic piece of american fun. Is the standard 5.5" barrel the way to go? Anybody have a preference in 45 colt versus 357? The price tag has me hurting a bit though 2000 for new and no finding much of a discount on used models on gunbroker and such. Are the Uberti knockoffs a viable alternative?
>>
The greatest handgun ever made
>>
Ruger vaquero.
Id buy a .357 evertime before a 45 lc
>>
>>34018823
Uberti are the closest to the original design. The biggest departure from the original is the inclusion of a hammer safety (feasible to load all 6 in a cylinder safely) and the way it retains the cylinder pin. I have 2 of the Hombre model because I prefer the look of the brass backstrap and 4 3/4in barrel balances better in my hand.
>>
>>34018893
Wait. Do all of the Uberti SAA versions have a safety?
>>
>>34018911
I wanna say yes, at least for all the 1873 Cattleman models. The 1st click back on the hammer engages a hammer block safety to prevent the firing pin from resting directly on the primer. It's a non-issue unless you're the literal autistic type.
>>
>>34018823
Quit bitching faglordio. I want a borchardt c93, but nobody replicas that. Get your uberti and like it.
>>
>>34018959
This
also the cylinder retaining pin is slightly longer so it can be pushes all the way in to prevent the hammer from dropping fully but you can cut it down to the correct size without any problems
>>
>>34018837
Why do you prefer the .357?
>>
Uberti guns are Hickok45 approved, that is good enough for me.
>>
Look for a USFA 5.5 in .45lc my man.
>>
>>34018823
Uberti pistols are good. Get 45 Colt for historical authenticity.
>>
anybody seen reviews of the Uberti cattlemen 2 with the retractable firing pin, seems like a nice feature, but also one more part to go wrong, kind of interested in a single action for ultimate reliability
>>
>>34018959
>It's a non-issue unless you're the literal autistic type.
Literally go fuck yourself.
>>
>>34018823
Colts are not worth the price tag. Uberti is good, Ruger is good but modernized, Cimmarron is good, and you can get a 'Taylor & Co' which I believe is owned by Uberti but has action work done on it to make it a SASS competitive shooter.

I'll probably get a pair of Taylor & Co Smoke Wagons
>>
File: blackhawk 357.jpg (32KB, 520x301px) Image search: [Google]
blackhawk 357.jpg
32KB, 520x301px
>>34018823
For recreational shooting, .357 Magnum is appealing since you can shoot .38 Special for fucking dimes if you're a handloader, and if you have a gun with a strong frame like a Blackhawk, you can jack up handloads really hot, it also has a transfer-bar safety so you can carry it with all chambers loaded (though the lockwork isn't like a Colt so you can't fan the hammer).

Ruger also makes a "Convertible" model of their .357 Magnum and .45 Colt caliber Blackhawk revolvers, they come with an extra 9mm Luger and .45ACP cylinder respectively, which you can insert to shoot those cartridges, now, the convertible Blackhawks have slightly tighter bores to allow them to shoot these calibers without problem, and while it'll shoot factory loads of .357 Magnum or .45 Colt just fine, you will get higher pressures, so Ruger recommends you don't get too adventurous in handloading for the Convertible model for these reasons.

Uberti's copies are all quite alright, as is Pietta, Italians are generally quite good at Cowboy guns (except maybe Chiappa).
As for preferred barrel length, I feel that they all look pretty good with 4 inch barrels, while having plenty of sight radius and velocity, balancing nicely. If you want to use one to hunt, I suggest a 6 inch barrel minimum.
>>
File: USFA Rodeo.jpg (28KB, 600x239px) Image search: [Google]
USFA Rodeo.jpg
28KB, 600x239px
>>34019108
Probably because of cost, you can shoot it for pretty cheap while still being able to step up in terms of power.

>>34019153
USFA revolvers are absolutely excellent and built to survive the apocalypse, but they also went out of business years ago so they're all near collectors items now, expect to pay Colt Python tier prices for a lot of them, you're looking at $1500 minimum for a basic Rodeo II model.

And they're worth it, every penny, but the question is if OP wants to put down that kind of money.

>>34019540
Calm down grandpa, the transfer bar is a good idea.
>>
>>34019638
>If you want to use one to hunt, I suggest a 6 inch barrel minimum.

Hickok sure seems to like the 7" barrel
>>
>>34018823
love my Cimarron model P SAA in 45lc.

In some ways the clones are closer to the original old west guns than that of Colt.
>>
>>34019693
Oh yeah, even longer can't hurt.

An 8" barreled revolver in .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum can be a quite good hunter's handgun, especially with a fitting scope.
>>
>>34019638
If you are going the blackhawk route why not get a 44mag? Reload specials for pennies each or 320gr hardcast in magnum brass incase you decide to shoot something that requires 5 feet of penetration,
>>
>>34019899
Also a great idea, however, just how cheap can .44 Special handloading get? I hear you can easily shoot .38 Special below 15 cents per round if you're dedicated.
>>
>>34019685
I got my Rodeo for under $800 this January.
>>
>>34018837
Get the 45 acp
>>
>>34020197
That's a steal, I see them for well over $1000 on Gunbroker and other places all the time.
>>
>>34019951
I cast my own bullets and i enjoy reloading as just another aspect of shooting, so i dont figure in my time to the cost, keeping that in mind; my total component cost (canadian priced powder too) is .077/loaded cartridge using 6 grains of titegroup and an s&b primer in winchester 44magnum brass, using magnum brass this gives me 1050fps from my 20" carbine (not sure of velocity from a pistol) i get my lead for free from tire shops and use johnsons paste wax for bullet lube (i lubed roughly 1000 170grain bullets with a couple tablespoons) i have all my brass from before i started reloading, i have brass that has been reloaded dozens of times so i dont know how much that would increase the cost, straight wall brass lasts a LONG time so the cost is not something i figured into the price per shell.
I figure $7.70 for 100 shells is pretty decent
>>
>>34018959
My Cimarron doesn't have that. Of course it's a 1860 and not an SAA
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-20-19-55-35.png (247KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-20-19-55-35.png
247KB, 1440x2560px
>>34020293
I could go as low as 4.7 grains of powder in the magnum brass, but the load i have listed is from hodgdons website using the rifle data for 44 magnum,
The data they have for the same bullet with the same powder in 44 special brass is "anemic" however i can say it will penetrate a raccoon lengthwise and then pass through a 4x4 deck post, the listed velocities are from an 8" pistol barrel
>>
>>34020293
That's certainly not bad at all.
>>
Thanks for all the replies anons, you've convinced me, I'll soon be a proud owner of an uberti
>>
>>34019685
Is that a bisley hammer?
>>
I have an Uberti Horseman, I like it as a compromise between authenticity and some modern features. Probably obsolete with the Cattleman 2 out now but I really like the wider, crisper trigger that the Horseman has.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.