[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Underrated /k/ approved movies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

File: Vietnam era Soldier vs Cajuns.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Vietnam era Soldier vs Cajuns.webm
3MB, 800x450px
Since the same sorts of films tend to get shuffled around in these threads, let's have a thread recommending /k/ approved films that aren't as popular/discussed, despite being fucking great.

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and Southern Comfort get my praise.
Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence has the best soundtrack of any war film and is pretty touching in a very odd, unique way. WWII Pacific theater POW film.
Southern Comfort is just plain odd, with National Guard getting lost in the Bayou on patrol and pissing off Cajuns.
>>
File: Brat_2_guns.webm (2MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Brat_2_guns.webm
2MB, 720x480px
>>34004970
Panic in year zero!
They! (muh flamethrowers)
Brother and Brother 2
Blue Ruin. It has god tier /k/ommando in it.
>>
>>34004970
Recently I watched the movie "Japan's Longest Day" from 1967. Is less a war movie proper and more a political thriller; it is a dramatization of the days following the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, showing all the confusion and burocracy of the Japanese officials deciding about acceptence of the Allied surrunder terms, and the proper procedures for annoucing it. All while the more radical pro-war younger army officers are trying to make a coup so Japan can still fighting.

The film runs for some 2 hours and some minutes, but is pretty good. The cast is also pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfYkl2nOGxw

I would also recommend "Decision Before Dawn" (1951) and "Attack" (1956)
>>
Is Three Kings underrated?
>>
- When Trumpets Fade
- Deathwatch
- Dog Soldiers
- R-Point

The three latters are best described as horrors with a strong military element.
>>
File: oddangryshot.jpg (238KB, 700x560px) Image search: [Google]
oddangryshot.jpg
238KB, 700x560px
Odd Angry Shot (Aussies in 'nam) worth the watch to see POGs treated like POGs. Australians are notorious shit posters but they do have good bantz, especially salty burned out grunts

Attack Force Z (Mel Gibson, Aussies in WW2) worth the watch for the hip shooting suppressed grease gun action, I also enjoy watching asians getting whacked
>>
Talvisota (Epic, gritty, finnish made winter war flick)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098437/?ref_=nv_sr_4
Siege of Firebase Gloria (lesser known R Lee Ermey Nam flick)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098437/?ref_=nv_sr_4
Band of the Hand (80s chic film where ex operator takes on troubled youth to fight florida thugs. 80s!
www.imdb.com/title/tt0090693/
>>
File: 1997-ronin-poster1.jpg (138KB, 580x860px) Image search: [Google]
1997-ronin-poster1.jpg
138KB, 580x860px
>>34006232
Also adding Ronin (high paced, De Niro ex spook espionage action thriller)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronin_(film)

Toy Soldiers (bunch of kids try to fight back when their prestigious prep school is taken over by commie terrorists in the cold war era
www.imdb.com/title/tt0103112/
>>
Ronin was great.

I'll stick to the military themed ones, though:
- Ice Cold In Alex
- The Desert Rats
- Dien Bien Phu
- La 317th Troop
- The 9th Legion
- Pork Chop Hill
- Gualdalcanal
>>
>>34006221
Also Breaker Morant (Aussies in the Boer War)
>>
>>34006345

And speaking of Aussies; Gallipolli. Too much of the movie focuses on the runup at home to the battle for it to be a proper war movie in my opinion, but the actual beach battle scenes are riveting.
>>
>>34006304
>Ice Cold in Alex

Nice taste Anon, that's my favourite war film.

There's something enjoyable about watching John Mills drive about in an Austin ambulance .
>>
One more French related:
- March Or Die
>>
File: 447px-Manlytears3[1].jpg (40KB, 447x599px) Image search: [Google]
447px-Manlytears3[1].jpg
40KB, 447x599px
Gettysburg. I've been mentioning this one here lately. Great fucking film that I feel like most people kinda forgot. War movies don't make me tear up.
>MFW "General Lee. I have no division."
>>
And an American:
- The Lost Battalion

Not necessarily the best or most representative WW1 movie there is and very very American, but none the less a well told story.
>>
>>34006232

Can't mention Talvisota without also mentioning Tali-Ihantala. But I am still waiting for the one big Finnish war movie that focuses on their more aggressive warfare rather than noble defensive action, and more of their ace snipers rather than Johnny Average.
>>
>>34006121
>When Trumpets Fade
Saw this a while ago, remember getting pissed off when the main guy had to shoot one of his flamethrower operators for cowardice, but let the dude burn alive instead of just spending a second bullet.

>>34006221
10/10 fucking film, LOVE the scorpion/spider scene.

>>34006304
>La 317th Troop
I've wanted to see this for a while but can't find anywhere to as an American. Know where I can watch it?
>>
>>34005863
WE THREE KANGZ BE STEALIN' THA GOLD!
>>
>>34006530

The 317th is obscure. International distribution was barely a side thought to the French movie makers at the time and the one version I saw, a decade ago, had neither subtitles nor dubbing from the original French. But I still liked it!
>>
>>34006555
I really find that movie somewhat, for the lack of a better word, surreal.
>>
File: SPARTAN_OneSheet.jpg (52KB, 550x816px) Image search: [Google]
SPARTAN_OneSheet.jpg
52KB, 550x816px
I have never seen a mention of pic related.

Also my favorite Val role.
>>
>>34006530
>I've wanted to see this for a while but can't find anywhere to as an American. Know where I can watch it?
If you have no problem with this kind of stuff, you can find it with english subtitles in piratebay.
>>
>>34006786

Probably because Val Kilmer is as ups and downs as an actor as Mel Gibson and Sean Penn.
>>
>>34006786
That movie frustrated me. Watched it with my mother, of all people, who summed up what we were both feeling.

>"How many good men are going to die for this dumb bitch?" -Mom
>>
The Gunman
>>
File: NewKidsTurbo-cover.jpg (651KB, 590x836px) Image search: [Google]
NewKidsTurbo-cover.jpg
651KB, 590x836px
NEW KIDS TURBO & NITRO
>>
Here's one: the original First Blood. Not Rambo Part II, which is where everyone thinks the series began because they all forget about the first movie. But the original is innawoods af.
>>
File: Q6ABapj[1].jpg (29KB, 426x207px) Image search: [Google]
Q6ABapj[1].jpg
29KB, 426x207px
Rolling Thunder 1977

A Vietnam POW returns home to Texas, becomes vigilante
>>
If you like medieval history, The Last Kingdom on Netflix.

Saxon lord gets screwed out of his inheritance by his Uncle, raised by Vikings, ends up fighting for the last of the Brittons while trying to raise funds and an army to take his land back.

The book series is fantastic, the show is worth the watch, especially if you already have Netflix.
>>
>>34006786

Isnt this a Delta movie?
>>
File: pelkäätkö selkäsaunaa.webm (3MB, 240x192px) Image search: [Google]
pelkäätkö selkäsaunaa.webm
3MB, 240x192px
>>34006480

Probably not quite what you have in mind, but Tuntematon sotilas (The unknown soldier) is about the continuation war where Finland was the agressor.

There's two versions. The one made in the 50's is the bois be bois:D -version, while the 80's one is a bit more dark.
>>
don't know if its underrated around here but I just watched Sicario for the first time. Was bretty fuckin good.

Also, the men who stare at goats. Not the most /k/ related but its fucking funny
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.