[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hunting General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: img0856.jpg (22KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
img0856.jpg
22KB, 320x287px
So its always a good time to make fun of fudds, but how many of you guys actually hunt? I'm thinking about getting into hunting, more specifically backpack hunting. What classes and/or training, if any, are required for a license? I have a model 70 in .270 with a 3-9x40mm optic, is that a decent set up? Any locations you guys would recommend for beginners? Any gear recommendations?

Also feel free to share hunting stories, pictures, or general advice!
>>
>>34000607
As a beginner who wants to "backpack hunt" whatever the hell that is, you'll probably go trouncing through the woods loud as fuck and scare off any game before you even see it.

I go in the woods as the sun is rising and sit quietly in a blind. If I don't see anything by about noon or 1 I walk back to my house and ask the wife for a sammich. Then I go back out until sunset. Lots of guys like tree stands but I'm not a fan of heights. Protip: hunting properly can be a very boring thing.
>>
I hunt rabbits in the Arizona desert. I go out in the afternoon and wander around for fun. Then all the rabbits come out when the sun starts to go down. If I get one, I throw it in a cooler and pick up some ice from a gas station on the way home. My eyes are always really dry and achy after being out in the desert and trying to look at things instead of staring at the ground like you normally would.
>>
>>34000607
>I'm thinking about getting into hunting, more specifically backpack hunting.
If you're looking to backpack hunt make sure you are in decent shape, it will be a lot of hiking.
>Any locations you guys would recommend for beginners?
If you have any friends or family member that hunt, ask them to take you with them. Try it out before you go jumping in feet first.

>>34000668
>"backpack hunt" whatever the hell that is
You live under a rock, bud?
>Protip: hunting properly can be a very boring thing.
What is your definition of properly hunting?
>>
>>34000607
killing animals is murder
>>
>>34000668
Your from the East Coast huh?
>>
>>34001454
Being silent. Being unseen. Hunting the wind to conceal your sent.
>>34001527
Nope. Midwest.
>>
>>34000607
might want a stronger scope
>>
File: Laa Laa hunting.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Laa Laa hunting.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>34001047
Are you me?
>>
I'm curious too, but sadly I don't know any hunters. I'm gonna pile on some questions.

>are there credible hunting instructors who teach beginners the basics for domestic hunts?
>how do you get your kill back to the truck? Do you just drag it, or do you cut off all the meat and pack it in a backpack?
>is taxidermy expensive?
>is it hard to find places to hunt that aren't private land
>is it a rich persons hobby if you don't own your own land?
>what types of big game hunting DONT involve sitting in one spot all day waiting for something to walk by?
>>
>>34000668
>it walked in front of my air conditioned insulated double-wide reeltree(tm) blind and started eating the 5ft pile of corn I made 10 yards away!
>hunting

go fuck yourself my man
>>
>>34001742
It's a wooden blind I built that isn't insulated. If anything where I hunt I'd need a heater due to harsh winters, but I only use hand warmers. I also don't bait them with food.

So right back at you fucko.
>>
File: gun.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
gun.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>34000607
I'm in the black hills, mule deer, I kinda just wonder around custer state park.
>>
>>34001742
this, I hate treestand/corn feeders niggers
>>
>>34001599
>walk against the wind
ye
>>
>>34001503
deer are like nigger-jew giant rats tho
>>
>>34001695
Not a hunter but

>Yes. use the wonder of the internet or your local conservation department

>Usually the latter. Field dressing is the term IIRC. You gut it and dismember it to a certain degree so it's easier to carry out.

>yes
> depends on where you live
>no but maybe yes
>almost any game can be stalked if you have the skills.

>>34001795
>lying in wait in a blind

>not stalking

what you do is simply a matter of patience, almost no skill is involved.
>>
>>34001853
>tfw this is how your uncle hunts and it's the only method you know of.
someone pls teach me other ways to hunt.
>>
>>34001695
>yes, tracking can be a useful skill
>drag it kek
>yes
depends on the state
>not in south dakota kek
>any that aren't super dangerous
>>
File: IMG_1610.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1610.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>34001695
I'll turn on my trip for this

>are there credible hunting instructors who teach beginners the basics for domestic hunts?
Go to hiking clubs and get your ass in shape. Chances are, you will encounter at least one mountain hunter. Also, it may sound corny, but watch some hunting shows. Steve Ranella's Meat Eater is a good start. Jim Shockey is also legit, but his older stuff is better.

>how do you get your kill back to the truck? Do you just drag it, or do you cut off all the meat and pack it in a backpack?
Depends how deep you are innawoods. If you're mountain hunting, you're going to pack everything out. That means skinning, quartering, and field processing everything you can carry. You will most likely have a buddy/guide with you to help pack out. Expect to make multiple trips if you're hunting something big.

>is taxidermy expensive?
It can be. Like rifle optics, you get what you pay for, but price/quality plateau after a point. Be prepared to wait.

>is it hard to find places to hunt that aren't private land
It depends on where you want to hunt. Look up BLM land in your area.

>is it a rich persons hobby if you don't own your own land?
It can be. Make no mistake, hunting can be done on the cheap, but you will have to invest in gear, practice, travel and yourself to be a successful hunter, no matter what you plan to spend.

>what types of big game hunting DONT involve sitting in one spot all day waiting for something to walk by?
Most things can be hunted via spot and stalk. I've hunted from a blind only once. I won't do it again.
A few north american examples include:
Elk (tule and Roosevelt)
Mountain Goat
Any species of Sheep
Mule dear
White tail
Black tail
Mountain lion
Prong Horn Antelope
Moose
coyote
wolf
Black bear
Grizzly bear
Kodiak bear
Pigs

>pic is an afternoon of me duck shooting in argentina
>>
>>34001503
E D G Y
D
G
Y
>>
File: 20161008_203457.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161008_203457.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>34001695

>>are there credible hunting instructors who teach beginners the basics for domestic hunts?

Find friends, co-workers, relatives, neighbours - anyone - who hunts and is willing to have you tag along. But be prepared to have to do it solo. Sometimes that's how we have to do it.

>>how do you get your kill back to the truck? Do you just drag it, or do you cut off all the meat and pack it in a backpack?

Logistics is a big part of hunting. Yes odds are you will be dragging. Generally you dress (gut) the animal where it falls to reduce weight. You can also quarter it and pack our the quarters. ATVs help.

>>is taxidermy expensive?

Yes. But it may be worth it to you to immortalize your first/favourite kill.

>>is it hard to find places to hunt that aren't private land

Depends on where you live. The internet is your friend. If in Canada look for crown land maps

>>is it a rich persons hobby if you don't own your own land?

Not necessarily. See above comments. Ideally try to find others to hunt with. The key is to be earnest and respectful. Many hunters are hesitant to take on partners because of access rights to hunting grounds. Don't fuck it up for them.

>>what types of big game hunting DONT involve sitting in one spot all day waiting for something to walk by?

All of them if you want to stalk. But blind/stand hunting is more efficient. I hunt grouse by walking around. Squirrel too and it helps if you have a buddy/dog.

The reality is most animals have sharper senses than we do and will detect you before you detect them. Hence ambush hunting.

Hunting is very rewarding. Even the 'boring' days. And even those are vindicated when you taste a meal of an animal you killed yourself.

>Pic related, venison tenderloin about to hit the grill that has been alive sixty minutes prior.
>>
>>34001911

>Scouting locations where deer live, feed and transition takes no skill or effort

>Calling deer using mouth calls and sound lures to try and perfectly imitate deer in a variety of contexts takes no skill or effort

>Successfully ambushing an animal whose senses are ten times more effective than a humans takes no skill or effort.

In the end, the blind hunter if he does his prework and knows his shit, will bring home meat. That's all Darwin cares about. There's a lot more to choosing and using a blind than "if you build it they will come."
>>
>>34000607
>backpack hunting
that's kinda like a party type deal. i know a guy who has a plane and flies people out to idaho for bear hunting. he flies out of nc and picks up clients before flying out to his spot in idaho. from what i know about it all, he charges a lot.

sometimes you can find other guides and hunting parties out in the midwest, but again it's pretty pricey. i mean you could grab your rifle or shotgun, go innawoods, and do some bushcraft stuff. check out mcqbushcraft. he does most of his stuff in england and western europe. does a good amount of gear review and even has his own amazon store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVVm_QmudAw
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.