[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pilot Career Advice RAF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1493267346533.jpg (3MB, 4000x2992px) Image search: [Google]
1493267346533.jpg
3MB, 4000x2992px
young fag here looking at a career in accountancy after six form (a levels) but i think i will not like it. i have always wanted to be a pilot in the RAF but I don't know if i am up to it, very shy, get embarrassed easily when centre of attention. Anyone give me some advice? Thanks in Advance.
>>
And I am generally awkward
>>
>>33982021
Are you good at mental maths? Do you have perfect eyesight?
Do you enjoy clocking on at 10:00 and off at 16:30, then popping off to the NAAFI for a swift half?
Do you hate PT and physical fitness in general?
Would you like to go to war sitting down and only seeing the enemy from miles away as you vaporise them (and hopefully not your poor lads on the ground) before disappearing off into the wild blue yonder for a pint, crossword and a cheese toastie?

If you answered yes to these questions, the RAF is for you.
>>
>>33982723
He said pilot, not RAF reg you silly bugger

>>33982021
Pilots are all officers, and officer selection is standardized out of Cranwell, where you're expected to be as much of a leader of men as any other officer in any other role would be.

Confidence and willingness to lead is pretty fundamental.
>>
>>33982021
>but I don't know if i am up to it, very shy, get embarrassed easily when centre of attention.
You are fucked if you cannot get in front of 100+ people to give a confident briefing.
>>
>>33982805
> RAF reg

Maybe he watches loli and hangs around the local schools, could be perfect RAF reg material right there
>>
File: laughing heston apes.gif (3MB, 290x189px) Image search: [Google]
laughing heston apes.gif
3MB, 290x189px
>>33982021
>18:47:21
>11 minutes later exactly
>"And I am generally awkward"
Lost.
>>
It's a popular as fuck job, just the beginning of selection comes down to how many sit ups, pull ups, and push ups you can do, and whether or not your very high number is higher than the other guys who can do very high numbers. And if your reactions and mental maths are good enough, same thing also makes the difference between a Typhoon and a C130 or Merlin.

t. friend had the RAF knock on his front door and invite him to join up as a pilot after he became the youngest solo glider pilot or something. He could do the number of sit ups and push ups they wanted, but not as many as too many other applicants.

If you're still at the start of sixth form, give up anime, get your arse over to /fit/ and become their new poster boy, and practice mental maths as your new hobby.

Why do they give a shit about push ups? Because being able to do more than anyone else in the room requires self motivation and perseverance and all that shit, and that shit is gold to them.
>>
>>33986568
They give fewer fucks about awkward in young recruits than you might think here in britbongistan though. They know they can train it out, and getting fit will anyway.
>>
>>33982021
So the thing with pilot is that you will only be a pilot for a small portion of your career and as such you are expected to be a leader in order to complete the other roles you will fill later. Selection to be a pilot isn't too hard, it's the requirement to also be an officer that you will struggke with from the sounds of it. Do you play sport? Do you naturally gravitate towards leadership, management and mentoring? If no, consider civil aviation instead because the RAF is not for you.
>>
File: FemalePilots415.jpg (31KB, 415x277px) Image search: [Google]
FemalePilots415.jpg
31KB, 415x277px
You could try the Navy m8, my recruiter was begging me to join the fleet air arm to fly the new F35s. They can't get enough pilots at the moment cause everyone is signing off to fly civvy. Call up your recruiters right now and they'll tell you everything you need to know, they are really nice and helpful
>>
>>33982021
>very shy

forget the military

just keep playing video games
>>
>>33982021
I'm a pilot in the RAF, currently fairly early on in my flying training. If you want to be a pilot you need to be an officer which means leadership qualities
>very shy, get embarrassed easily when centre of attention
that may get in your way, do you have any leadership experience at all? If not you'll struggle to make it through selection.

This guy >>33986648
Is mostly talking shit though, you dont need to be a natural leader of men, as long as you show some leadership ability the RAF will develop you. And there's no requirement to leave flying to go and do other jobs if you dont want to, the RAF depends on a number of pilots remaining as junior officers so that the sqns have plenty of expierence as well as youth.

I could recomend some apps that would help you practice for the apptitude tests if you want.
>>
>>33982021
going to US pilot training in a few months here.

1) get over your embarrassment. youre going to be an officer and you better fucking be able to stand up in front of a crowd and give a briefing if you want to command effectively
2) get good grades. They want you to have like 3.5, with maybe a 3.0 minimum. not sure how Bong grades work but thats basically top 10% of your class.
3) get flight time. I had over 100 hours of flight time and the recruiter said id probably have gotten it with my gpa and about 40 hours with a license.
4) have perfect vision, health, and fitness. If youve had health things in the past, then just make sure its not something your family doctor couldnt just wave off as a non issue.

this is basic bitch stuff
>>
>>33987621
>3) get flight time. I had over 100 hours of flight time and the recruiter said id probably have gotten it with my gpa and about 40 hours with a license.
Not required in the UK, I had no flight time before i joined. Obviously it'd be good to do but dont ruel yourself out becasue you dont have any
>>
>>33987621
Academy or rotc?
>>
>>33983869
lol and I thought this was exclusive to the USAF
>>
>>33986897
recruiter pls go
>>
>>33982021
Career pilot here.
Here's my advice:
Just don't.
>>
>>33986568
>Why do they give a shit about push ups?

Because pulling nine G's in combat is not for the unfit.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.