[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Surviving the collapse of society on 15,000 USD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: original.jpg (126KB, 800x687px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
126KB, 800x687px
>I am aware this is an incredibly unlikely set up, but please roll with it.

Imagine you are in a situation similar to that of Noah: You know society will collapse in ten years, however you do not know how. You are given a budget of 15,000 American dollars to help you ensure the survival of you, family and friends, with an additional 1,000 dollars per person who join, while they will be willing to give your leadership skills a try when society collapses. There is no limit on how many you can try to take in, but you will still need enough space and food for them.

There are no rules on how you spend the money, so you may blow it all on hookers, cocaine, and video games. But I'm not interested in daydreams similar to my own.

You may likewise attempt to invest the money and I'd like to hear what you'd invest in. But business may go badly.

You still have to adhere to the law until society's collapse, though you may spend the money on bribing the police, however you have to account for this in your budget.

What do you do, what is your plan? What preparations do you undertake?
>>
>>33981942
This is the premise for a good thread
>>
>>33982980
ehhh.. $15000 is a bit low for starting. you still need to get land or hillside, etc. Drilling wells and septic sytems arent cheap.

Best I can figure is cheap hillside land. DYI large tunnels into it, Solar panels, DIY wind turbines and somehow set it up with a well, septic and basic airflow for radon. Some sort of seal for all the surface to keep out gas, water, critters, etc. A large door layered in lead.

Then spend the rest of the money on used RVs, trailers, supplies & spare parts to fit inside the tunnels.
>>
>>33981942
>vent openings
Do you want spiders to come in?
>>
>>33981942
THERES A NIGGER IN THAT SHELTER
>>
>>33981942
A few good gpgpu computers. A few well selected socially immersive courses in a university. Spark necessary mini psyop and get a good gathering around me. 3d print sten like arms. Try to ride it out while keeping everyone in the group in marketable shape to return into normal society.
>>
I built one under my backyard concrete patio. 10'x15' The entrance is through a false wall in the basement. I have four hidden vents, one goes through the exterior wall and appears at the roof in what looks like a roof vent which I can use as vent for generator, and the other three are through concrete statues on the patio, grass and walkway.

One day I'll tell you how I did it. Me and my old man. No one else knows about it.
>>
>>33981942

I don't know that an underground bunker is the best idea for a flood of that proportion.
>>
>>33981942
Does this assume that you already have access to rural land? Otherwise, that money isn't going to go very far.
>>
>>33984727
That's cool as fuck, I'd like to know
>>
>>33981942
I'd put 10K into as big a piece of rural acreage as I could get. The remainder goes into tools, equipment, supplies, and reference materials.

I'm assuming I still have my regular sources of income.

As the budget allows, I would rent a Bobcat on weekends to do a moat and beem around the entire acreage. Earlier in the decade is better, so it has longer to blend. Plant a mix of roses and blackberries in the moat, anchored in a couple of rolls of concertina at the very bottom.

Move in a few shipping containers as storage, they become the basis of strongpoints later on.

Layout farm plots, maybe put in some kind of water storage feature.

It's mostly infrastructure work for 8 years or so. Start quietly recruiting in the last 2 years. The cash bonus from the additional people goes into consumables.
>>
>>33984727
Can you post some pics? Sounds interesting.
>>
>>33984727
Fucking remember that vents can also let in radioactive particles. you better fix that shit.
>>
>>33981942
>vent openings
well that should go well
>>
>>33983940
>3D printing firearms
>3D printing stens
>not just making tubeguns out of pipe and hand tools
>3D printing
>>
>>33984932
>shipping container meme
Would be cheaper to build out of concrete and cinder blocks, and it removed the difficulty (cost) of moving a fucking shipping container around
>>
File: STEN BOLT.jpg (186KB, 1387x923px) Image search: [Google]
STEN BOLT.jpg
186KB, 1387x923px
>>33987805
hand filing down a Sten bolt would be a lengthy procedure.

better to find alternate power for a small lathe, like one of those atlas/craftsman/south-bend bench lathes.

I think approximating the cuts would make it still work, so that would save some time.
>>
>>33984932
but anon, collapsing society by getting people to fuck off and do their own thing is exactly how you lose a nuclear war...
>>
>>33981942
Going to ignore the money side because fuck you

If I had 10 years to plan, I would spend a fair amount of time searching for uninhabited but hospitable ground to set up a small farming community.

Thinking one of the thousands of fjords and inlets up the west coast of BC.

Settlement at sea level to make seasonal variation somewhat mild.

Way back up near a river mouth in one of them meaning there are probably some salmon runs.

Forest along the coast is so heavy in northern BC nobody is going to bother us.

Keep some kind of old but seaworthy fishing trawler. Big enough for a few families, long range, simple diesel with lots of parts on hand

don't know what the boat would cost, but the settlement wouldn't cost much

One or two simple long houses, investment in gear, guns, reloading components, blackpowder, bows, fishing gear, seeds, simple farm equipment etc. medical gear

Also do this mostly without comforts of modern life unless something like solar or man portable hydroelectric develops

Call it 100k for 30 people? Covers the families I would bring along
>>
>>>/out/1009877
>>
>>33983832
No no, it's a white guy in the shadow.
>>
>>33981942
Buy a boat
Stock canned food, medicine, weapons, ammunition.
And documentation on various subjects, such as geography, agriculture, DIY stuff...
Convince a bunch of females to follow you

Humanity, starting again for you, might be sliiiiiightly inbred but at least, mission accomplished.
>>
>>33984748
Underrated post
>>
>>33988140

>farming

Use a freeze dryer. 35yrs food shelf life or more.
>>
>>33988749
The great god Darwin would ensure that only the defective children die. Just make sure to bring along good genes on your oceanic voyage. Call your boat the Beagle for good luck.
>>
>>33981942
>Inside clearance 6ft
"and the manlets shall inherit the Earth"
>>
File: Corgi_Ship.jpg (59KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Corgi_Ship.jpg
59KB, 600x600px
>>33990329
>The Beagle
>Not the Corgo ship
>>
File: 1486577208071.jpg (65KB, 332x313px) Image search: [Google]
1486577208071.jpg
65KB, 332x313px
>>33984748
>>
>>33987869
>Would be cheaper to build out of concrete and cinder blocks

Doubtful. Price of shipping containers starts at $1500. It takes around 1600 standard cinderblocks to build an 8'6"X9'6"X48' enclosure. You then have to factor for the cost of the slab, roof, and doors. You're also neglecting to factor for time sunk into building each enclosure.

Buy a shipping container, have it trucked to the site, done. Or, buy a bunch of building materials, have them trucked to the site, then spend a couple of weeks building your storage structure.

If you get the 20 foot conex boxes, you can probably tow them around with a tractor. Try doing that with a cinderblock structure. Conexes are also very resistant to seismic and shock loading.
>>
>>33987767
Not if you use overpressure.

>>33987770
Its a fallout shelter, not a bomb shelter.
>>
File: 1472424851333.gif (2MB, 335x222px) Image search: [Google]
1472424851333.gif
2MB, 335x222px
>>33991016
How couldn't I have seen it earlier! The ship should be named after a living weapon, in the spirit of /k/. Thank you for showing me the light.
>>
>>33981942
Assuming that the collapse is not global, I would likely use the money to make a stealth /k/amper that I would use to evacuate me and my family. I would continue to live in it until I find a new home.
>>
File: IMG_2748.jpg (69KB, 543x363px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2748.jpg
69KB, 543x363px
Depending on the event. Either a nice sail boat with as many solar panels as I can mount.

Or a few pic related on the family property. 15 acres total between my parents and aunt. Plus the 10 acres they sold that would be cleared of undesirables. (Liberals)

The bought the land from the based family that originally purchased it.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.