[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reloading thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 12

File: 1489861218032.jpg (87KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
1489861218032.jpg
87KB, 880x660px
We haven't had one in a while. Can we start sharing some reloading tips please?

To start, what's a good beginner press that you won't outgrow quickly? Is pic related any good?

Anyway, made any ammo recently? Tell us about it.
>>
You don't outgrow single stage presses. But they aren't good for small amounts. They are better used for bigger calibers, specially bottlenecked. I wouldn't load .308 or bigger in a semi-progressive or progressive press.

Buy one if you plan reloading big calibers. For 9mm reloading or any dump ammo it might be better to just get at least a semi-progressive from start.
>>
Ive got a redding case trimmer but its not cutting square. I found no way to adjust it and im not sure if the trimmer or the collet is off. Any thing i should try to fix it.

.303 is a bit of a pain to reload, tge chamber is so loose i think the brass will wear out quickly
>>
I want to reload so im able to shoot more and as a hobby,any obvious things i should avoid?Any mistakes you guys made when first starting out?Gonna grab a lee turret press next weekend and start loading.44,hoping to not blow myself up
>>
>>33982775
Use expendable brass to dial in your dies
Acquire fine measuring tools
Triple check things before doing a hundred of them
Always have extra decapping pins
>>
I'm going to get into reloading one I get my .454/.45lc revolver. One thing I've noticed is that one brand makes one bullet for .454. Can I use .45lc bullets in .454 brass?
>>
>>33983252
Quick google search shows that 454 Casull uses a .452 caliber bullet, and modern 45 Colt ammo uses .452 caliber bullets, and almost all 45 Colt bullets are marketed as .452 diameter bullets, and the jump down from .454 caliber to .452 bullets for 45 Colt came about when the switch to smokeless powder was made, so...yes
>>
>>33983311
That makes sense. Probably the reason why separate bullets are made for .454 is because of jacket separation that happens when you use regular bullets with magnum velocities. Would that happen with FMJ or does it typically only happen with hollow point?
>>
File: 20161218_104334.jpg (1MB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
20161218_104334.jpg
1MB, 1400x1050px
>>33982775
I have a Lee turret press. It's not a bad press to start with. You can use it as a single stage. As other annon said buy good measuring tools. A digital scale is so much better than a beam. Get a powder dripper. There is a little square piece of plastic that the rod that turns the turret rides in. It breaks easily so buy a couple extras when you get more pins. A Lyman case length gauge helps to sort out cases that are too long quickly. A Lyman case prep tool and a cordless drill do wonders together.

Ask away.
>>
>>33981913
If you like or think you might eventually get into big bore black powder cartridges, make sure you get a press that can accept 1-1/4 dies. That is the only reason I upgraded my press.
Otherwise, most single stage presses will due.

>>33982775
Don't buy a preassembled kit. Most parts are functional but every brand has something they do well. Lee presses get the job done but their powder scales suck and their powder measure leaves a lot to be desired. Piece your kit together by buying used and taking advantage of sales. Get a digital and balance scale and periodically check them against each other.

Something most people don't think about is shipping when buying components. Powder and primers require hazmat (which is consistently $20-30) and if you are only loading small batches buy locally (you often get stuck with whatever is available). Bullets are easily found online but watch shipping charges (many sites love to hide their profit in shipping charges). I typically order componets from either Graf and Sons (flat rate shipping (which is occasionally waved for orders over $150), $20 hazmat fee (which is occasionally waved when buying X brand of powder), wide selection of bullets and brass (important if you like exotic stuff)) or Midway (ocassional free shipping deals (usually $150 min order), $20 hazmat, wide variety of bullets and brass).
Also never pay for brass if you can help it. I have never purchased a single case of .223 or .308 since I started loading ammo. If your range has a brass discard bucket, see if you can raid it. Check with other shooters who are obviously not collecting their brass (be polite, if they say no, respect them).
>>
>>33983411
Usually bullets tailored for "magnum" calibers will have stronger jackets, or be hardcast for lead bullets, to reflect the increase in velocity and pressure to prevent jacket separation, however you mileage may vary. Some may hold up better than others. Hollow points depend on the manufacturer, some bullets are designed to expand within a specific velocity ie Hornady XTP vs Magnum XTPs.
>>
whats the best set up out there if im into old blackpowder cartridges like .43 spanish, also any good places to find old reloading data on those kinds of ammo appreciated
>>
>>33983699
castboolits forums may be your best bet. They may be some of the fuddiest of fudds but they do know their cast bullets and black powder and shit.
>>
>>33983699
I am looking for 43 Spanish things myself right now. From what I can see, 4198 seems like the best smokeless powder. If you want to go black, the military load was 78grs with a 380gr bullet.
>>
>>33983668
Thank you for the very helpful response.
>>
File: 1478348055502.jpg (69KB, 949x626px) Image search: [Google]
1478348055502.jpg
69KB, 949x626px
I just watched a guy make 9mm jacketed hollow points from copper crimp connectors and some lead wire. Pic related.

The guy's a fucking wizard. In other videos, he makes bullets from all kinds of brass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_tAQGdZvDU
>>
>>33982775
buy a reloading manual or at least download one, my go to is Lyman. Most major powder companies have data posted on their website. Hodgdon is my go to but it tends to contain data only for powders they sell (Hodgdon, IMR).

Here's a basic step-by-step guide for reloading. It's a bit dated and it adverts for Lyman products, obviously, but the basic concepts are the same. Page 1-8 are the important parts.\
http://tulprpc.org/attachments/File/Lyman-Getting_Started_In_Reloading.pdf
>>
>>33983834
holy shit, ammosmith started posting vids again. He said he was moving, and then nothing for years.
>>
>>33983894
>holy shit, ammosmith started posting vids again. He said he was moving, and then nothing for years.
I know. He was one of my favorite people of all time.

I asked him what happened. He said his girlfriend was murdered by her ex-husband. He provided links to the trial. Incident drained him emotionally. He was absent for like 6 years.
>>
>>33983930
links?
>>
>>33983954
see comments in one of the new videos (there ain't many). Forgot the name of the guy. he also replied in a PM.
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 450x450px
>>33983930
>>33983965
that's some fucked up shit
>>
File: 20170427_005844.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170427_005844.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
I started with the Lee turret press and a really basic Lyman 5 lbs smelting pot for bullet casting. Go absolutely basic as possible to start off with to learn the process, move up from there.

I'm cranking out super hot 44 mag loads tailored to my Henry Golden Boy and it's a great deer rifle
>>
>>33981913
When I get the 300 BLK pmags I ordered, which should ship soon, I'll probably take the 300 BLK rifle to the range and use the last of my reloads. I want to see if the new Magpul 300 BLK pmags will take 125gr Speer TNTs without binding. Right now Sierra 125gr Matchkings are the good-to-go bullets, but the Speer TNTs are soo much cheaper.
>>
>>33982585
>I wouldn't load .308 or bigger in a semi-progressive or progressive press.
Why not? Not even for plinking?
>>
>>33981913
I still reload on a single stage. You don't really outgrow it, you might just grow to use others. I could see installing a progressive press on my bench but I've got a pretty good system for reloading handgun ammo so it goes pretty quickly even on the single stage.

I load 308, 7WSM, 40SW, 45 ACP.
>>
>>33983566
I like beam scales because they give me a better visual feedback when trickling up to weight, which is what I do on every charge. The nice smooth travel of the beam is better for knowing how much, how fast and when you need to slow down, I don't over-trickle nearly as much as when I used electronic. Also according to my check weights my beam scales are just as accurate.
>>
I've actually just started on a batch of 223 Rem, 62 grain FMJ projectiles to practice. Using a Lee hand press because I'm an autistic fuck with too much time and not as much money.

I haven't shot any of my handloads yet, but I'm hopeful I'll get the opportunity. The load is SS 109 with 24.5 grains of Rx15 and CCI #41 primers. Brass trimmed to about 1.7480-1.7510. Rounds seated to just shy of magazine length (2.255, etc)

I was hoping to save enough to buy some M855A1 EPR bullets from American Reloading at some point.
>>
>>33982998
>Always have extra decapping pins

This x1000
>>
Im going to build a bench out of 2x4s and a plywood benchtop,should I get more 2x4s instead of plywood or does it not matter that much?
>>
>>33987580
2x4s for frame, plywood for surface is generally acceptable for 99% of everything.
>>
>>33987606
Sounds good to me then,ive never really made anything large out of wood before so Im just winging it and getting my father to help when I have trouble
>>
>>33982585
You're an idiot.

You absolutely can outgrow single stage presses. You either upgrade to a progressive for volume or go to Wilson hand dies for precision. The only reason to keep a single stage is poorfaggotry.

What specifically keeps you from reloading full power rifle cartridges on a progressive other than your own idiocy?
>>
>>33987580
I picked up a used kitchen island from a reclaimed building supply center for $35. Took a saw across the overhanging part to make the back flush, then took that piece and put it atop some 1x10 supports to use as a shelf. Peg board across the back. Under $50 for the whole bench, sturdy a fuck, and looks kinda nice.
>>
.44 mag guy again,I was thinking of loading really light rounds for less recoil when I go to the range with a smaller stature friend of mine,can I load .44 special loads into a .44 mag case?Only thing im worried about are squibs and not performance,I just want my friend to not be afraid of shooting a .44 for the first time before moving up to my regular hand loads
>>
>>33987672
>arbor press
>hand dies
>bushing dies etc
Great if you have precision rifles and shoot from a bench or in competition, irrelevant for most people since the ammo they can produce on a single stage is good enough for their needs. How many would actually see the benefit of using the beautiful Wilson dies? I guess the Forster Co-Ax is a POS then? There's zero reason to spend the extra money and take up more space with progressive setups if you only reload small volumes of mid-high but not top tier ammo, it doesn't even take a long time.
>>
File: 0cd8c19eda.jpg (963KB, 2500x1406px) Image search: [Google]
0cd8c19eda.jpg
963KB, 2500x1406px
>>33987705
Here's a pic because 1000 words
>>
>>33981913

I've got a few thousand spent cases of 5.56 and a 223 wylde chambered ar15 for yotes. I've got a shitty case trimmer, An rcbs a2 single press, and a few older non digital Lyman and rcbs scales.

what else should I get before I start buying power and primers? anyone have preferences when it comes to solid copper non lead bullshit?
>>
>>33987999
A progressive press. Unless you are being anal about exact loads, loading .223 in batches of 50-100 on a single stage press is painful.

If you are inflexible about buying a new press, get a powder measure at least.
>>
>>33987999
A progressive press. Unless you are being anal about exact loads, loading .223 in batches of 50-100 on a single stage press is painful.

If you are inflexible about buying a new press, get a powder measure at least.
>>
>>33987606
I did the same but I also put a extra couple of hardwood 2x4s on the end he where my presses are attached so that the bench doesnt flex at all when I'm popping military primers or something else that's hard
>>
>>33987713
Make 10 rounds and test them,adjust,make 10 more,test again
or make 10 of one kind,10 of another,10 of another and see which one you like best
Take a notebook with you whenever your doing anything reloading related and take notes
Dont make 200 useless rounds
Dont be me
>>
File: IMG_2223.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2223.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Single stage for load development, then make batches on dillon.

Making 45 lswc for about 11 cents per round
>>
>>33988399
>that phone
>that hairstyle
>that sexy setup
STEVE JOBS NEVER DIED HE JUST WENT ON /K/
>>
>>33984476
I don't have any issues with the TNTs in any magazine I use...
>>
File: FB_IMG_1494685345808.jpg (66KB, 720x781px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1494685345808.jpg
66KB, 720x781px
>>33988785
Oh wow, I can shit post from my phone again...
>>
>>33988806
>FB_IMG_1494685345808.jpg
Leave
>>
I was yhinking of buying one of these kits. Any advice as to whoch one is better and what other parts I need? I plan on buying a case tumbler too of course.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CB2D4SK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2RGTL2LE2B0Q4&colid=18B7VDN4TALBD

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001F0MDKE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1QJPA37EDE7RC&colid=18B7VDN4TALBD#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1495054008986

I'm planning on reloading .357 mag and .308 win. Which dies should I get?
>>
File: 20170415_194745.jpg (1MB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170415_194745.jpg
1MB, 1920x1920px
>>33988917
No... Also I just started loading 380 for my wife's bersa. What powder works best out of power pistol, bullseye, titegroup, hp38, sr7625, and WSF?
>>
>>33989006
I would lean toward the RCBS kit myself, if only for the option of using larger then standard dies in the future. But if you need to do any kind of reloading en masse, you should get the Lyman turret press set. In the end, I would recommend piecing out the parts of both sets (use a spreadsheet) and see if you can aquire equipment cheaper buy taking advantage of used or sales (not to mention not being loyal to a brand).
As a note, if you do buy the Lyman set, also get additional reloading manuals (I own 5 paper manuals myself) and a backup scale. The Lyman manual is on the conservative side (so you end up with loads that can be too light). I also owned that exact scale and one day it went wonkers (it could no longer hold a zero and would vary by about a pound(yes a pound) +/-).

As far as dies go, lots of people like Lee dies and they function but I just find them unsatisfactory lately. Buy used dies here (eBay and Gunbroker are good places to look). I like Pacific dies but the brand no longer exists.
>>
>>33983821
Not that guy, but you should slug your cylinder throats. If it is cut to .452 you will probably lose accuracy shooting .454 bullets. They could also be further undersized if you are unlucky. They sell reamers though so no big deal I suppose. There is an article on gunblast that goes over this (for Rugers but should work on others).
>>
File: bench-2.jpg (44KB, 600x445px) Image search: [Google]
bench-2.jpg
44KB, 600x445px
>>33987580
Instead of a plywood top, see if you can get a piece of laminated counter top material, formica or something. I found an 8 foot piece at Lowes that had been dropped and the corner broken off of. I paid about less than half price and cut it 1 foot shorter.

It's a hell of a lot nicer than a plywood top, I'd rather the 2x12s that I used underneath than plywood.
>>
I have no idea what I'm supposed to do
Is 9mm worth it? What do afterwards?
>>
File: ,jmfhg.jpg (80KB, 747x938px) Image search: [Google]
,jmfhg.jpg
80KB, 747x938px
>>33981913
Ok, I have a question for the reloading gurus. I have left over approximately 200-300 grains of Alliant Unique pistol powder. Just a little bit on the bottom of the can. I dont feel like even getting my trickler "dirty" with it again. Can I mix it with 8lb of Alliant BE-86 pistol powder without anything going kaboom?
>>
Casting my own projectiles interests me,anything I should be worried about other than proper ventilation?
>>
>>33990649
>Can I mix it with 8lb of Alliant BE-86 pistol powder without anything going kaboom?
Define kaboom?
Most likely scenario is that you will get a pressure spike. Depending on what round you are loading this can be very dangerous, like kaboom. Most guns can take a dangerous load at least once, while it costs the gun its life, the user does not get seriously injured.
If you have a garden, bury the powder in the ground. When it dissolves it will act like a fertilizer. Should you lack a garden bury it in your ground, flush it down the toilet or embrace you inner pyro and burn it.
>>
>>33991817
Heavy metal poisoning. Symptoms include: Headaches, abdominal pain, organ failure, madness, ect. In children it can fuck up their development.
You don't need to be too worried. Load in an open space (outside or a garage with fans blowing away from you and the lead source) is plenty enough to prevent issues in most people. Don't go sniffing the fumes and you should be fine. If you start suffering from headaches, you may want to stop and consult a doc.
Also make sure to wash up after casting or handling lead.

The bigger worry for me while casting is getting molten lead on me. I have a couple of scars from failure to learn my lesson. Wear welding gloves while casting, especially at first.
>>
>>33991916
>Load in an open space
Maybe I should be a little worried about that madness thing. I meant cast in an open space.
>>
>>33991916
is there a respirator that will filter it out?
>>
>>33992005
They exist, but I have never know of a caster to use them while casting bullets, at least for long. You typically melt 10 pounds at a time while casting bullets. If you are making ingots, definitely do that outside and use a respirator.
>>
>>33981913
Ok I'm new to this, and seeing a lot of conflicting information.
I'm a poorfag college student that wants to get into reloading 9'll or .223 (with the option down the line of being able to switch calibers or do .380). Not as much for the cost benefit but as something to take up my free time and net me some bullets in the process.
Not concerned with making high volumes of anything. How much would I be looking at paying to get a full basic bitch setup, and what brands/models/accesories should I be looking at? Everyone says to get some multistep dillon monster, but I can't quite spare 500 dollars, and am fine with slow and steady
>>
>>33992184
Lee is good for starting if you are on a budget. I can't speak for their progressive presses, but their single stage presses are just as good as other brands IMO. Their powder measure has issues with stick and flake powders (most .223 and auto pistol powders are spherical ball). Don't trust the Lee scale.

If you want to save money, buy used for equipment. Also, unless you have a gun that doesn't handle steel case well, your savings will be 1-2 cents per round at most for .223 or 9mm using commercial components. Casting can reduce costs heavily, making it worth it (and again, Lee is good for starters here).
>>
>>33992311
So is it possible to get a full decent setup with Lee press and other manufacturer's accessories for less than 300? Like I said, budget haha. Not going for savings, just a spare time waster, so casting sounds fun down the line, but I want to get proficient with reloading first
>>
File: 650xl.jpg (796KB, 1134x1894px) Image search: [Google]
650xl.jpg
796KB, 1134x1894px
>>33981913
dillon 550b
>>
>>33982775

Honestly don't bother reloading common calibers. I reloaded 9mm and 5.56 for a minute before realizing it was more economical in terms of time to just buy target ammo.

Reloading for full-power rifle cartridges is great.
>>
>>33992755
In theory, with a $300 budget, you could even get the casting equipment if you searched for deals or hunted around for used equipment. In practice, should you get hooked, you will end up consistently looking to get better equipment.

If you are serious, take a look at the kits that the different brands offer. Make a list of the pieces that are in them and start searching around for better prices on each piece. Try searching ebay and gunbroker for used equipment such as dies. Join reloading related forums (castboolits is rather good). Don't rush into things.
>>
>>33990649
Don't risk shit like that just for a shortcut or 200gr of powder. If you're tool lazy to dispense it properly then throw it out or leave it until you get more of the same.
>>
Is a 10 lb pot good enough to melt lead?I want to get a 20lb but ill have to pay shipping and wait for it to get here while the 10lb pot is at my cabelas right now
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.