[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

John H. Miller a cunt.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

File: radar.png (142KB, 709x393px) Image search: [Google]
radar.png
142KB, 709x393px
Was captain John H. Miller being a dumb cunt, attacking well dug in, shot-in* german machine-gun defending the damaged radar?
Did he use proper tactic?

*sorry, I don't know how you call it in english, I mean when a machine gun is zeroed in on surrounding terrain, knowing it will hit targets in its range with first burst.
>>
*crickets*
>>
File: 1483576876331.jpg (15KB, 211x238px) Image search: [Google]
1483576876331.jpg
15KB, 211x238px
>>
File: IMG_4406.jpg (51KB, 625x415px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4406.jpg
51KB, 625x415px
>>33976277
Why would occupied France have radar
>>
>>33976501
The germans built a lot of them.

>>33976468
fuck you
>>
File: miller.jpg (153KB, 400x511px) Image search: [Google]
miller.jpg
153KB, 400x511px
>>33976277
https://youtu.be/fByRLOM8WQw?t=2m30s
>>
he did it so that guy could bleed to death and make the audience feel things
>>
You see it throughout the movie that Miller was a poor leader. Vin Diesel's insubordination with the kid, Sizemore and Burns squaring off after the unordered attack on the radar ruins, and his master plan for the bridge that had them defending the German side of the river with limited ammo, light arms and inferior numbers, then had the remaining defenders running over the bridge in full view of the Germans.

Miller a shit.
>>
>>33976277
Its called "Presighting" that's why Omaha Beach was such a bloodbath for the first few waves of troops.
>>
>>33980971
what the fuck did you expect? he was a teacher. those who cant do, teach. his entire crew got bodied
>>
> have a sniper that could get eyes on the objective
>get him to bum rush the position
>>
>>33981216
>dont take out the machine gunner first just take off running up the hill
>>
>>33980971
>>33981209
capt miller was a good guy he dindu nuffin wrong

also in the movie he's the kind of leader you'd expect to find in an economy where being a great leader got you killed faster.

would follow someone like capt miller
>>
>>33981209
He *was* trained as an officer and held the rank of Captain in a Ranger unit. Blithering incompetence could have been expected in a fresh 2lt in a regular unit or a pvt e-2, but Sizemore's SSG Horvath says he's been with Miller since Kasserine Pass. That was February of '43. D Day was June '44. 17 months of combat, unknown how long of various training.

You'd think have the sniper glass the radar site, see it if was still held, and had him and the BAR gunner provide cover for the others as they low crawled in the dead ground to within hand grenade range, then cleared it. Rommel often times mentions scouting and finding the advantageous micro terrain to exploit.

The defense of the bridge was likewise retarded. A bridge is no good if you don't hold both sides. Hold the side American re-enforcements would be coming from and then prepare multiple covered positions to shoot and scoot. Take some of that Comp-B and make an IED out of it, or use a bazooka round without the tube. The field manual for the weapons shows how. And that's if Germans show up. Taunting an armored unit when you have limited anti-armor weapons is dumb. Stand fast and hope what happened happens when superior numbers show up.

But the movie would have been an hour long and everyone would have gone onto the next fight.
>>
>>33976501
Shitposter alert
>>
>>33981539
Just blow the bridge, Engineers will be right behind the reinforcements.
>>
Quoting the wikipedia article: "Much has also been said about various "tactical errors" made by both the German and American forces in the film's climactic battle. Spielberg responded, saying that in many scenes he opted to replace sound military tactics and strict historical accuracy for dramatic effect."

In other words, take Captain Miller as seriously as you take E.T., Indiana Jones and the Goonies. It's just money making.
>>
>>33981567
Why delay the offensive doing that unless the Germans were going to capture the bridge?

>>33981579
Whenever a film maker says the replaced sound tactics and historical accuracy for dramatic effect, I hear "couldn't make it work without giving the characters an idiot ball and re-writing things to go the way I want."
>>
File: Pest Control.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
Pest Control.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>33980971
You forgot the 70+ men he got killed walking through a landmine field just to silence a coupe of 88's

He's been in the field since North Africa. So I imagine it's much more.
>>
>>33981602
It would have made no big difference in reality
>>
The movie was pretty good at the start, I will give it that. I pity the director who sets out to make a better Omaha beach scene. After that it went downhill pretty fast. And I still think "The Longest Day" did the beach attack better.
>>
>>33981539

Why not just blow the bridge up and build a pontoon bridge when the need for it arises.
>>
>Taking the medic to a frontal assualt on several MG-42 nest
>Not replacing him with the Typist easily the most disposible member of the team once they clered the french village
>proceeding to beat, torment and prepare to execute a German soldier who was minding his own fucking business when a bunch of crazed Americans come running out the wood like fucking cowboys
>Spares hi last moment and send him off on his ow way under the impression he wouldn't fight again
>Surprised and outraged when the beaten, humiliated Willy turns up and shoots that son of a bitch,

Steamboat Willy did absolutely nothing wrong.
>>
>>33981579
Did we really expected more from the guy who which when the reenactors tried to argue with, saying that the german soldiers haircut in the movie was off, just tossed those complaints aside because he wanted them to look more like skinheads?
>>
"HAHA NIGGA WE DONT NEED A MORTAR HAHAH JUST BANG THE BOTTOM OF THE MORTAR ROUND AND THROUGH THE EXPLOSIVE LIKE A GRENADE"
>>
>>33981802
Does this actually work or?
>>
>>33981819
It was able to be done but doing so was incredibly risky. It's basically russian Roulette and there could be no margin of error throwing them. Only twice in the war was this ever done.
>>
>>33981754

Spielberg has in the past been very historically accurate when it suits him. He has also consistently been a teller of fairy tales, painting characters either shiny white or tar black according to make sure the public don't offer sympathy to others than the ones he want them to side with. I enjoy the energy and storytelling he do, but I don't let him read me any history books because truth rarely fits well into 150 minutes of 'let me sing you the song of my people'.
>>
File: IT AINT ME.jpg (3MB, 2000x1563px) Image search: [Google]
IT AINT ME.jpg
3MB, 2000x1563px
>late 30s
>still a Captain

Of course he was a fuckup
>>
>The driver's viewport on a Tiger I featured 6 layers of armored glass, as well as another sheet just behind them. These systems would have prevented Captain Miller from simply sticking his submachine gun up to the port and spraying the inside of the driver's compartment with bullets.
>>
>The actors all had to undergo an intensive pre-shoot six-day boot camp by technical advisor Dale Dye. All but one of them voted to quit, as they found it too arduous. Tom Hanks, who had previously been trained by Dye for the Vietnam war scenes in Forrest Gump, was the only one of them who knew it would be a hard and uncompromising experience: "The other guys, I think, were expecting something like camping in the woods, and maybe learning things while sitting around the campfire." Naturally, his vote counted the most, so the rest of the actors were obligated to complete their training.

Miler was shit, But Hanks is pretty based.
>>
I don't know why Jackson swapped out his sniper rifle with Upham's M1. Surely it would have been better to snipe the MG crew, while the others charged in. Would have added dramatic effect also.
>>
>>33982065

Would have made sense to why Jackson got off 7 shots without reloading his Springfield.
>>
>>33981857
Well, I must admit that you put it in a very clear and eloquent way, giving me a new perspective over the whole thing.
>>
>>33981872
He said he was a schoolteacher before the war. They never said how old he was when he volunteered or was drafted. You don't pick up O-3 fresh out of OCS or whatever officer training Miller got because you're 35.
>>
>>33981922
I always figured that was just supposed to spiderweb the glass and make it no longer useful to see through. Not that it should have been open in the first place, but whatever.
>>
>>33981872
You are a fucking idiot.
>>
File: C03_BnRUsAA0_Yy.jpg large.jpg (95KB, 500x660px) Image search: [Google]
C03_BnRUsAA0_Yy.jpg large.jpg
95KB, 500x660px
>>33981857
(((my people)))
>>
>>33981857

A Jewish Hollywood director painting Germans as skinheaded murdering savages while compromising historical accuracy to make money?

No, that could never happen.
>>
>>33981624
I don't think we were watching the same movie
>>
>>33981579
What do you expect with Juden?
>>
Go watch Spielberg's other project, Band of Brothers, if you're going to sperg out over realism.
>>
>>33984654

When Miller gets the assignment to find Ryan he casually talks about walking his men into a minefield to capture several guns. The CO is horrified.
>>
>>33981699

Steamboat Willy and the guy at the end were two different characters.
>>
>>33984801

Steamboat Willy was the one to shoot Miller and he was the one who got shot by the typist at the end.
>>
>>33982013
They also exempted Matt Damon from that so the other actors would subconsciously hate him.
>>
>>33985900
Huh. Thats actually very interesting and intelligent.
>>
File: Dale_Dye.jpg (32KB, 219x350px) Image search: [Google]
Dale_Dye.jpg
32KB, 219x350px
>>33982013
>Miler was shit, But Hanks is pretty based.

So is Dale Dye.
>>
File: 734583458.jpg (42KB, 453x486px) Image search: [Google]
734583458.jpg
42KB, 453x486px
>>33976277
They made a school teacher, a Captain.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.