[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Safes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 11

File: executive-vaults.jpg (19KB, 320x220px) Image search: [Google]
executive-vaults.jpg
19KB, 320x220px
Thread for gun safes.
Or how ever you protect your funs
>>
File: SIR.webm (3MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
SIR.webm
3MB, 640x640px
Is a gun safe the same thing as a gun cabinet? Cabinets seem to be much cheaper.
>>
>>33972488
If you take out the descriptor "gun," would you consider a safe and cabinet to be the same thing?
>>
>>33972488
Safes as the name implies are safer. Heavier walls etc. Practically, the thicker walls won't stop a burgler, compared to a cabinet. Neither is more practically secure. But they're both very good at what they do.

Ideally you'd have a central closet away from windows you add some good solid locks into and and a solid door, and it's good. Plenty of space for guns, secure, etc.
>>
File: total hygine.webm (3MB, 406x720px) Image search: [Google]
total hygine.webm
3MB, 406x720px
>>33972498
no, the safe sounds stronger and more secure...
>>
>>33972468
Big orange Homer Bucket.
>>
Question

I have a cheap Liberty Centurion safe.
And i am buying a second one used from a guy tomorrow for $100.

I already have plans to pour a new level base to mount the safes on. In my new house .

But now im thinking, why not up armor my safes? My plan is to pour the reinforced, level base in the first pour, then in a second pour dow walls. Last pour would be a 3" top.

Basically a shell if concrete around my safes. For the front i would thenn add a metal security gate.

I am saving up to have a large safe room/ storm shelter retrofitted in the basement, but other house issues come before that.

This seems like a good solution for the next year or two .

I have experience working concrete.
>>
cabinets like the stack-ons are just heavy gauge sheet metal and carriage bolts, with a simple locking mechanism like a regular metal filing cabinet, just beefier.

safes will have thicker, often composite material, actual locking mechanisms, including locking bolts or pins like...a safe. they are harder to infiltrate, and have better fire ratings. but they also weigh metric fuckton.
>>
File: hacked-open_liberty_inside.jpg (27KB, 390x500px) Image search: [Google]
hacked-open_liberty_inside.jpg
27KB, 390x500px
The vast majority of gun "safes" are not really safes, at least not classified as such by insurance companies, who classify them as safety containers. Your usual $1200 big box store safe likely has two sheets of 14 gauge sheet metal with drywall in between and can be punched through with a pick axe or ripped open with a pry bar. Here's some more info for any interested

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-theft-protection/
>>
>>33972533
no THAT was stressful as hell to watch
>>
File: gunsafe.jpg (79KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
gunsafe.jpg
79KB, 480x640px
>>33972468
>Get one of these
>Gut insides
>Put in garage surrounded by normal garage stuff
>Act like its a project or something someone gave you
>Really is gun safe
Profit.
>>
File: gun-safe-vending-machine.jpg (195KB, 404x404px) Image search: [Google]
gun-safe-vending-machine.jpg
195KB, 404x404px
>>33973391
Definitely cool
>>
>>33973391
or, a chest fridge with a false bottom. just fill it with ice and no one will know
>>
>>33973438
>>33973391
>nignog breaks into yo garage and is snaggin shit wen he realizes he really thirsty, and oh shit sum pop rite here I hope they gots grape drink I jus break it open and take-
>>
>>33973632
no grape soda then, just have bottled water or tea
>>
>>33973438
>>33973391

Now I'm wondering if there's enough space to have a fully functional vending machine with a false back. That would limit your rackspace to one can deep and you'd need two keys, one to open the cabinet to stock the drinks, and another to open the false back to get to your safe. All the refrigeration equipment is actually the bottom quarter of the machine.
>>
>>33973391

only if you have to punch in a combination of drinks to open it.
>>
>>33973674
if its a machine that would normally allow for 4-5 different drink selections you could just put one or two of your favorite sodas in there and gut the rest of the drink magazines which would allow enough space for a few rifles. Granted you would have to weld a new steel door and shelf in place.
>>
>>33973674
I'd be more worried about condensation from the refrigerator fucking my guns up
>>
>>33973727

Drink racks are all vertical side by side. Variety of drinks doesn't change the depth of the magazine, only the width.

>>33973757
Also, yeah, totally agree on the issues with condensation.
>>
File: 1329186981447.jpg (31KB, 228x243px) Image search: [Google]
1329186981447.jpg
31KB, 228x243px
>>33973757
shit now you got me ponderous about this
>>
>>33973788
right I'm saying if gutted the unused vertical drink shelves then there would be plenty of room to weld a new shelf, wall, and door into the frame without disrupting the vending of the remaining drinks. There is no room depth wise to store anything, the back of the machine behind the can magazines is only a few inches in depth.
>>
I found a nice tl15x6 safe for $2400.00 , obly problem is that it weighs 4000lbs and is 900 miles away.
>>
>>33973856

True, but in my head I was imagining if someone got the front of the case open, you'd only see the drink racks and everything you'd expect for a vending machine, and you'd have to open another door to get to the guns. Instead, you end up with getting the door open, then you've got your selection of orange, cherry, cola, root beer, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, and 5.56x45. Also, now I'm thinking a Borderlands style ammo dispenser would be pretty tight.
>>
I like the idea if building a wall around the safe.
>>
File: IMG_1533.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1533.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>33972468
>tfw live in apartment
>just have gun cabinet
I need to buy a house so I can stick a safe in the basement
>>
>>33974290

Personally, I like the idea of disguising a safe built into a wall as a utility cabinet/fuse box.
>>
If you want a real safe.... find a used tl30. Good luck with delivery
>>
>>33974345

Might as well be a personal bank vault.
>>
>>33974309
Same cabinet, same problem, but I don't have the RPG. One day I will have a gun room instead of a safe
>>
>>33972468
>tfw your safe costs more than your guns
>>
I just use an interior closet with no windows and then built a false bookshelf door to get in.
>>
>>33972488
Most gun "safes" are literally no more secure than a gun cabinet.

A real safe costs thousands and weighs a literal ton
>>
>>33974309
Is that a fucking RPG?
>>
when I settle down in a more permanent place where I can anchor shit, I'll get a liberty safe.
>>
>>33972523
>Practically, the thicker walls won't stop a burglar
I guess the better wording is a good safe will slow down determined burglar(s) much more than a shitty safe or cabinet would.
Strategic placemtn to deny leverage or much working space, anchoring it down, and a security system in place to actually give them a more pressing time limit is a must.

And of course not blabbing about your gun collection to everyone is even better.
>>
>>33974309
One of these is not like the others...
>>
>>33974880
looks like one, the actual rocket is right next to it, doubt its legit though.
>>
>>33972468
Have a 1911 wrapped it a silicon cloth and stored in the original case and a mosin covered in a silicon gun sock and stored in a soft case, I keep them oiled and generally check them every few weeks or so.
>>
>>33974309
same safe, the barrel ridges are to fucking high, the safe itself is to fucking short, why doesnt the ammo shelf mount flat against the back, good deal tho. I put metal plates in the bottom under foam to make it weigh an extra 100 pounds and put it in closet
>>
>>33975008
Dont bother.

Get a sturdy safe. Or a b or c rate graffunder , amsec, mesa .

The liberty, winchesters, champion, stackon, etc are all shit.

Sturdy may not be ul rated, but it way exides the rsc rating.

With their "most popular" add on, you get a 4g body and a 3/8 plate door.

Compaire that to a liberty with a 14 gage body, and 14 gage door on the low end models, and a 10 gage body and door on the presidental models . There is no comparison.
>>
Growing up, my dad hid them in false floors in the attic and in boxes underneath other boxes full of shit like an entire xmas tree. PITA to get them out, but he also doesn't go shooting much.

I kind of follow the same idea, guns are hidden in the house in places that aren't obvious hiding places, like an attic space that serves only to allow access to one of my central AC units. There's some shelves in there that you can't see unless you crawl all the way in, then look in the opposite direction of the AC unit.

I know this isn't a great practice though, so I'm in the market for a proper safe. I have a great spot for it in a closet connected to the master bedroom, with no external walls. Considering my current gun collection and what I'm probably adding to it soon, I can easily justify spending upwards of $5k if anyone has any suggestions.

I have two guns that would not be easy to replace even if insurance payed out full value.
>>
>>33974694
Same. Goal is to have a basement room with a steel fence around the gun portion of the room, with the guns mounted on pegboard on the wall with the biggest, baddest gun sitting on it's bipod on a small table in the center

>>33974880
are u an RPG

>>33975192
Yeah it's fucking annoying, needs to have at least a 20" barrel to sit on the ridge. None of my standard AKs fucking sit on the ridge which is annoying as fuck. I keep my handguns in cases on the ammo shelf.
>>
>>33972557
It'll work fine, but it's a pretty major commitment to start pouring concrete around a safe. My biggest concern would be pouring a big enough area to allow for future collecting. Also, a proper gun safe or even a homegrown plated closet might be more cost effective.

Do you know how to weld? Might be a cool project to weld plating inside your closet and buy a heavy steel door with a heavy deadbolt.
>>
>>33975341
nice to know.
But I'm not just going to get a safe and anchor it, Gonna put it in small enclosed space or rig up a wall around it so whoever wants to crowbar it open will have to knock a wall down first.
And of course good door/windows with reinforcements, locks, security system, and insurance.
>>
>>33972523
>>33972488
U guys r dumb.

A gun safe will definitely deter a burglar. The time to break into a safe, with the proper tools, is 15-20 minutes. A gun safe also should have a fire rating, generally rated in minutes. Cheap ones should be 15-20min, high quality will be hours.

A gun cabinet can be almost anything else. Probably no fire rating. Might be metal, but might wood and glass, really.

Either way, a gun cabinet can probably be defeated in 5 minutes with a crowbar and a hammer
>>
>>33976520
Rsc will withstand 1 man with simple hand tools not over 18" , and framing hammer, for 5 min. ( only tools allowed are a 18" prybar/crowbar, large screw drivers, adjustable wrench, framing hammer, and chisel)

Rsc ("safes" ) made by liberty have been opened in less than a min, with a standard crow bar.

With an angle grinder or circular saw, you can be in a rsc in seconds.

With an axe or landscaping pick/matock , in a couple of min.

99% of what we call gun safes are just an expensive speed bump to your guns being taken.
>>
From what i have been finding out more recently, if you want an actual, good safe, you need to spend quite a bit of money(about 1k) and even then, it will still be able to get broken into.
The idea seems to be get something that takes a little be of time, while having it in a location where there isn't a lot of room to get leverage, and also have security cams.
Either that or hide your guns well including those soda machine cabinets, or maybe a mirror cabinet etc.
>>
>>33974880
>he doesn't have a recreational RPG
>>
>>33972468
Bottom of a lake. Safest place for them.
>>
>>33972468
I put them all in my ass.
>>
>>33974309
Forgive me father, for I have sinned.
>I'm coveting the fuck out of my neighbor's guns.
>>
>>33974880
It's for when he has to deal with armored nogs, a horde of nogs, or a horde of armored nogs.
>>
>>33972488
I need sauce on that gif
>>
>>33972533
Palms;

[ ] Not sweaty
[X] Sweaty
>>
>>33979421
That's Jujimufu. Gymnast turned roidbeast.
>>
>>33979540
ty
>>
File: smug.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hd.se%2F2003-07-30%2F29-aring-dog-nar-vapenskap-exploderade&edit-text=&act=url
>>
>>33977401
Where are you getting your numbers? Punching a hole is not the same as gaining access to the contents of the safe.

If you want a hole big enough to pull rifles through, it takes time. There is some safe company that had a video ad, can't remember who now, but it was about how ineffective safes were and it still took 15 minutes to get in with an angle grinder.

You also probably need corded power cords, battery operated versions of saws and grinders suck mad power in use, you might need 2 batteries to get in.

I've also used a pick axe to punch a hole through a steel shipping container, let me tell you, takes a long time and is very labor intensive.

If someone is after what's in your safe, they can get it. But most home invasions generally last between 2 and 5 minutes. That's from start to finish, not just working a safe.
>>
>>33975079

this is exactly what i have done. wedged up against a wall in a corner so you can't get leverage with a pry bar in the door...bolted down in a closet so knocking it over would be nigh on impossible no matter how long you had. not visible from any window. oh, and i don't spout off about what's inside of it, either.
>>
I keep my guns in a safe because I have kids.

Realistically, if someone broke into my house while I was at work, they would have all day to work on the safe. They would defeat it before i got home. Its a 22 gun safe from Stack-On.

But, when people break into your house, they dont hang out all day. They break in, and are gone in a minute. Just having the guns secured and not easy to acquire will keep them from being stolen.
>>
>>33979911
If they know your schedule and feel your safe is worth the effort they only have to spend a bit of extra time.
Having some vigilant neighbors also helps.
>>
File: Sailing accident.jpg (180KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
Sailing accident.jpg
180KB, 640x427px
>>33972468

Talk to an honest insurance agent.

Almost ALL gun safe insurance claims are due to water damage when your basement floods...

Never put a gun safe in a place where flooding can happen. Never in a basement. Best on the ground level with earth under or on upper levels in flood areas.

Criminals stealing guns from safes is almost zero...

Most gun safes are shit when it comes to fire. Try to have the walls on the outside or against concrete to limit fire damage.

If your gun is not especially valuable, keep it loaded on kitchen table...
>>
>>33981718
>gun safe insurance claims are due to water damage when your basement floods
... Why don't they just use gaskets?

An extra 10$ isn't going to break the camels back when you have items of enough value to need a safe and have enough money to spend on a safe.
>>
>>33979452
mom's spaghetti
>>
>>33975433

I was considering doing something similar, but underneath my bed. Though, I may just get a gym locker and tuck it in my closet where it's a pita to get to.
>>
>>33979614

Just google it for fuck's sake. Go on youtube and watch the endless series of videos showing guys with basic hand tools cracking gun safes easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmobzaLyGw0
>>
>>33980908

This. Not much tops the two retired couples who live on my cul-de-sac and who have nothing better to do than tinker around in their yards and give everyone they've never seen before the stink-eye.
>>
>>33981923
Because you have holes in the safe for bolting it to the floor and wall, also most safes use an expanding seal on the door to keep fire and smoke out instead of water.
>>
Right now I just have a pile of guns in my room. If I don't spend all my money at the gun show this weekend I'm gonna snag a Stack-On, it's not SAFE, but it's better than my current situation.

>>33973883

I'm sure the shipping costs are reasonable.
>>
>>33984193
> implying
>>33973883
Out of curiosity how much would the shipping be? Whats the damage to ship something that weighs so much so far?
>>
>>33982727
>gasket around holes/bottom so weight alone seals against floor
>implying gasket can't work in parallel with fire seal
>>
>>33972468
I keep my guns loaded so that they can shoot anyone that tries to steal them.
>>
>>33973809
>ponderous

I think you mean pondering.
>>
>>33987596
No, the gasket can't work in parallel with the fire seal. That's my point.
>>
>>33987605
A keep hearing news stories about guns killing people, seems like a solid plan to me.
>>
>>33988808
Why not?
>>
>>33972468

The most secure way to protect your firearms it to get a safe put some black powder in it as well. Post a sign on the safe warning would be burglars not to torch it.

If they are stupid enough to try at least the world will have one scumbag less. Insurance will handle the rest.
>>
>>33989002
The gasket is an expanding foam meant to defeat heat and smoke. Rubber would melt and destroy the foam.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.