[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

the basics of a good collection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: BasicM4.jpg (269KB, 800x376px) Image search: [Google]
BasicM4.jpg
269KB, 800x376px
What are the absolute necessities for a gun collection?
>>
AR/AK rifle
12 gauge shotgun
9mm pistol

That's pretty much it
>>
Semiautomatic carbine in intermediate round.
Scoped bolt action precision rifle in 308 or above/equivalent.
Defensive concealable handgun.
12ga shotgun of any offering.
>>
>>33965105
Get guns you like and don't worry about necessities.

There's no rule you need to have a .22, revolver, pistol, shotgun, semi-auto rifle, etc. for a good collection.
>>
I am not too experienced with firearms in general, but I have had a .22 rifle for 2 years now and I am looking to expand the collection
>>
>>33965105

Guns.
>>
.22lr rifle for plinking
12 gauge shotgun (or 20 gauge if you're recoil-sensitive).
AR, AK, or Mini-14. All are fine rifles.
Handgun of choice. I like wheelguns and have a .357 Magnum by my beside.
If you're a hunter, a bolt or lever-action rifle in a caliber appropriate for what you like to hunt. .308 is a default choice, but anything from .243 to .45-70 could be acceptable depending on what you're after.
>>
>>33965186
i had been thinking about a mosin or a rifle like it, is it worth for just target shooting?
>>
>>33965145
thanks for the advice, i was just wondering about some ok starting guns, I have little experience outside of a .22 I have had for a while
>>
>>33965105
AR or AK
SKS
Bolt action 308
Mossberg 500 or 870
Marlin 60 and/or 10/22
P226/Glock 17/Beretta 92/Px4
Glock 19
GP100/686
Model 94
Mosin
Buckmark
Battle rifle PTR or FAL
A decent safe

That should cover the bases. Do it over time. Buy, sell, trade and most importantly only when it works for you.
>>
>>33965219
yes it's worth it because the bullets are still really cheap. i'd go for the carbine though because the full size gun is long as fuck
>>
>>33965252
alright thanks, I'll take this into consideration for sure
>>
File: 1494324505852.jpg (35KB, 625x415px) Image search: [Google]
1494324505852.jpg
35KB, 625x415px
In all honesty, I try to just go for guns with a variety of actions. I have semi-auto handguns, revolvers, an old 1864 muzzle loaded pistol, gas operated semi auto guns, blowback operated semis, lever gats, muzzleloaders, a flintlock/powder rifle, a delayed roller blowback battle rifle, a break action rifle, break action shotty, pump action, etc.

For me, it's more about unique and interesting actions and how each firearm "works" as opposed to /k/'s overly autistic, "IT COSTS A LOT; IT BE GUD & GUCCI" mentality. Zero taste. You're nearly all the equivalent of any tryhard yuppie trying to impress his other anonymous yuppies with overpriced garbage while the true hobbyists and collectors snicker.

What's even better is when you call any of those fagbags on it, they scream "HURR POOOOOOOOOOOOOR". I've posted my $38,000 collection here before only to have a couple fags with two $2K rifles try to cherry pick the collection. My AR isn't Gucci enough. My SLR-107 is shit. My 50's milled Izzy AK is airshit. Etcetera.

I really and truly hate all of you. If it weren't for the decent tidbits of information you find after shoveling through the early 20's & 30 year old boy-men bullshit, I'd have been long gone.

That's all I have to say about that.
>>
>>33965105
ignore the autists anon, your collection should be the guns you like.
>>
>>33965249

Right now is the perfect time for an AR, this is the cheapest they will ever be.
>>
>>33965219
>i had been thinking about a mosin or a rifle like it, is it worth for just target shooting?
No. Get a milsurp if you like its history, but the days when you bought a milsurp rifle just to get a cheap shooter are gone.
>>
>>33965219

What be said:

>>33965515

Mosins were a meme because they were $79-$120 a piece in the golden days. Way fucking overpriced anymore. Don't get me wrong, they're super cool. But you can do a lot better for $300+ than for something Ivan slapped together and prayed it didn't go off in his face.
>>
>>33965321
I love you too.
>>
>>33965105
Two of every firearm make and model. Ever. One for shooting. One for display.
>>
>>33965546
like what? if you just wanna shoot a bunch then surplus 7.62x54r is still 15 cents a round cheaper than .308. and mosins are going up in value so if you hold it long enough you might make a little money
>>
>>33965321
U the real mvp
>>
>>33965105
more than one gun
>>
>>33965634

No one thought the Nuggets would dry up or the price would inflate. It did.

54r is dying. You don't realize it as a newbie gun owner, but it's nowhere near as prevalent or cheap as it used to be.

You're better off investing in many of the options listed in your own thread.
>>
>>33965321

/k/ in a nutshell

well said
>>
>>33965774
yea but when 7.62x54r reaches the same price as .308 then you can just sell the mosin for a profit or at least whatever you spent on it and then buy a modern gun with the money
>>
>>33965105
22LR pistol
22LR rifle
Compact 9x19
Fullsize 9x19
AR-15
12 Gauge of choice, possibly with a few barrels
Some sort of larger caliber rifle, something that could take down whatever large game or dangerous animal on your continent if need be. AR10, M1 garand, bolt action in fudd chambering, or maybe a target rifle if you're into that.
>>
>>33965105
Well, the first basic necessity is just
>gun

People own guns for different reasons. A lot of recommendations for your collection/arsenal are based off an assumption that every gun you own will eventually be a tool you use when the world ends. It's not a bad assumption, but it also colors people's tastes and biases a certain way. The first step is just to own a gun, any gun, regardless of caliber. Then you decide what you want to do with it. From there, you can get other things to fill whatever gaps you think you have. Usually
>gun
becomes
>longarm and sidearm
honestly, I think that caliber doesn't matter nearly as much as how good you are at shooting. You can have a Gucci'd out AR and Glock brand Glock, but if you suck at shooting you'll still end up being outgunned by the guy with the bare stock Marlin 60 who spent his childhood shooting squirrels in the woods.

From there,
>longarm and sidearm
evolve to fit whatever you feel like are your needs/wants. Maybe your longarm isn't very good for a particular kind of hunting. Maybe you want to start concealed carrying and your sidearm doesn't conceal too well. Maybe your longarm doesn't have enough range, or maybe it's an old bolt action and you want something you can play rambo with. It doesn't really matter, your collection will evolve to suit your needs.

the reason a lot of people recommend
>shotgun, combat rifle, long range rifle, conceal pistol, .22
is because it tends to cover a pretty broad range of uses and you can adapt that kind of a collection to most any scenario pretty easily. But it's not set in stone. What ultimately matters most is that you are a good marksman and capable of still being a decent marksman when you're under stress.
>>
>>33965105
One of everything.
>>
>>33965105
AR
AK
polymer 9mm
revolver
shotgun
30 cal+ bolt action
.50 bmg rifle
.22lr rifle and/or pistol
bullpup rifle
>>
>>33967385
oh and I guess a battle rifle
>>
>>33965186
>or Mini-14
Is the Mini-14 a new meme? I don't have anything against it, even if an AK or AR is a better option, but why the fuck have there been so many posts about the Mini-14 lately?
>>
>>33965105
Rifle
Handgun
>>
>>33965126
>>33965136
This plus one milsurp, like a K31 for example, for funsies
>>
File: IMAG0149.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0149.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Beginner mode:
>one rifle of any kind
>one shotgun of any kind

Average mode:
>one Rifle of any kind
>one shotgun of any kind
>one handgun of choice

/k/ommando set:
>one Semi-Auto carbine such as an AR, AK, Mini-14, or even an M1 carbine
>one bonafide milsurp rifle, ex: M1, Mosin variant, K31, Mauser, etc
>A shotgun
>A handgun

Rookie /k/ommando <21 edition:
>Some sort of semi auto carbine
>A milsurp rifle
>shotgun optional

Be advised though because even as I'm 20 I still have two handguns, two semi auto carbines, a milsurp rifle, and two .22lrs but no shotgun; so take this as a loose guide.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.