[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Police Power Armor or why I'm a gay faggot who sucks dicks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

File: some dumb looking exos.jpg (171KB, 1001x797px) Image search: [Google]
some dumb looking exos.jpg
171KB, 1001x797px
So /k/, I understand power armor is hardly the wave of the future when it comes to warfare due to how vulnurable said systems would be to RPGs, ATGMs, EFPs and a bevy of other space-age exploding acronyms but what about more permissive environments?
Power armor seems almost ideal for police use
if you ignore the obvious 22 metric ton gorrilla in the room of making small arms proof peace officers.
That out of the way, thing of the possibilities?
There'd hardly be any need to use lethal force unless lives were in danger.
Of course, you still have deaths from acute baton round/taser overdose but nobody's perfect.
I suppose it could exacerbate the niggers vs police arms race even further, forcing the redguards to use IEDs or buy black market RPG-7s but frankly that seems a tad improbable
So tell me /k/, why is this idea gay and retarded?
>>
>>33962169
cost
and "muh brootalidy"
>>
File: 1376919164167.jpg (113KB, 970x472px) Image search: [Google]
1376919164167.jpg
113KB, 970x472px
>>33962169
While still scifi, it's not far fetched to think that more and more civilian offices would be adapting power-armor at some point. Heck, the Japs are already about to adapt this one exo suit exclusively meant for healthcare personnel, who can use it to move patients and elders around with very little effort.

Not to mention how much the police units have become more "militarized" with their gear and tactics in the past decade alone. With cops having to prepare for anti-terrorism actions as well, a power armor system that renders regular smallarms useless could be handy.
>>
>>33962463
>more militarized
Someone wasn't here during the LA riots.
>>
>>33962169
Power armor's cool, but I think it it's ever going to be introduced, the first thing that's going to happen is >>33962418 and the way to combat that is through something like what >>33962463 mentioned. Power armor, to make it cost effective, and not hated, is to make it as versatile as possible, whether it's combat, firefighting, heavy lifting, etc. It's needs to be multipurpose for it to actually be a thing.
>>
>>33962169
Does it come in black?
>>
>>33962169
>small arms proof peace officers
>why is this idea gay

It's retarded because power armor won't be small arms proof. It will cover a lot more of the body, but there will still be plenty of exposed areas, soft-armor covered areas, and areas that an AP rifle can punch through.

Consider an example like the Revision suit. Covers the full chest/sides/back and has plate DAPS, which is a big upgrade, plus has a level 3 UHMWPE helmet, plus has plates over the femorals.

The guts and lower spine are still uncovered, the throat/neck is uncovered, the helmet is not level IV so AP will still pen, and the eye slot is not rifle proof either.

It makes it a lot less likely for cops to die, but getting suppressed or randomly 1-shotted by pure luck are still things.
>>
>>33962169
We can't even afford to wash our cars. There's dorito dust on the dash from 8 years ago. Cities don't have enough money to fund this shit let alone pay us more than 40k a year.
>>
>>33962553
>power armor needs to be multipurpose
I agree entirely. Police power armor seems like it has obvious benefits for disaster relief and casualty retrieval.
Firefighting is also a no-brainer but the widely differing requirements would probably force the design of a separate suit
>>
File: gXwYpRl.png (603KB, 767x920px) Image search: [Google]
gXwYpRl.png
603KB, 767x920px
>>33962463
>Not to mention how much the police units have become more "militarized"
Nah times change, gear changes.
>M16
>BDU
>Primative plate carriers the military doesn't even use
>>
>>33962169
Proper policing is far more "hearts and minds" focussed than military occupation and this looks extremely counterproductive to this end.
>>
>>33962636
Depends on the community.

Detroit and Orange County require very different kinds of police work.
>>
File: 488332378.jpg (158KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
488332378.jpg
158KB, 1920x1080px
>>33962629
Another picture
>OG LA SWAT
>M16
>USGI bandoliers
"Militarized police" is a meme.
>>
>>33962603
You bring up some pretty damning points. I don't think powered armor would be worth it for most PDs unless it was all over NIJ-4. Even a rogue golden BB'ing of a canned ham would probably do irreparable PR damage to the system's manufacturer
Remotely operation seems the obvious next step but that's a whole new kettle of fish
>>
>>33962608
Probably, or at the very most, a basic skeleton that can be outfitted.
>>
>>33962636
I was thinking it'd be more of a thing for the SWAT team.
They're really not in the PR business, it's hard to win hearts and minds in jet black tactical gear
>>
>>33962169
>vulnurable said systems
They're not

>RPGs, ATGMs, EFPs
There's an aluminum alloy that at 1.5 inches thick, halts a .50 cal penetrator. The tech is being applied to Steel alloys, one such is an Aluminum Iron alloy that has the same weight/strength ratio of Titanium

>22 metric ton gorrilla
Weight will be first priority as that means more powerful motors must be used, which use more energy. Remove weight and you can easily use lighter motors

>Power armor seems almost ideal for police use
If they can't afford it, which, chances are, they won't be able to

>IEDs
Fuelless Camping Grill Tablets and Nitric acid makes RDX

>black market RPG-7s
Are easily turned on a lathe

>but frankly that seems a tad improbable
Its not, nobody has capitalized on it because suddenly, the moment hints of Potassium, Chlorine or Nitrogen are detected en abnormal mass at the site of a possible bombing site, any suspect shoot to the top of every single Alphabet soup organization, publicly known about

>So tell me /k/, why is this idea gay and retarded?
Because despite this discussion being had, dozens upon dozens upon DOZENS of times before, idiots still bring it up without taking 5 minutes to google "Superalloys"
>>
File: need to order more.png (216KB, 1008x368px) Image search: [Google]
need to order more.png
216KB, 1008x368px
>>33962169
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1sSo41Fvk

>commit crimes
>know eventually power armor cops will arrive and begin planning
>coat floor near my door with my favorite brand of lubricant
>fill fire extinguisher with equal parts black paint and lube and liquified shit
>await power cops arrival eagerly
>when they arrive hose down power cop with paint/lube/poop mixture
>it is now blinded and cant get good enough footing to stay standing
>also smells like shit
>take a moment to laugh at the now helpless power cop struggling to do anything
>escape house through use of previously dug vietcong tunnel which is too small for power cop to follow through
>teach other criminals my anti power armor doctrine

Eventually the police will stop using their incredibly expensive suits of power armor out of embarrassment since they can be defeated by such simple means.
>>
File: 1493484186269.jpg (77KB, 404x343px) Image search: [Google]
1493484186269.jpg
77KB, 404x343px
>>33962741
Now this is what I'm talking about!
Normally these power armor threads are unwieldy, ponderous affairs but today we're getting right into the thick of it
>>
File: 1340203322376.jpg (37KB, 634x431px) Image search: [Google]
1340203322376.jpg
37KB, 634x431px
Why bother with big and clunky personal armor, when you can just release a swarm of these babies' armed offspring, and control+observe them within the safety of a bunker, armored vehicle, etc?
>>
>>33962418
This.

Cost is the reason why $350 glocks aren't retired until they've seen many tens of thousands of rounds
>>
>>33962636
This, but swat teans in rich cities will get it. Maybe fire fighters too, vir ver diferent ones. Rescue teams needs to lift things with their arms, while police needs back and leg streanght to carry armor.
>>
>>33962169
Powered exoskeletons are far more likely to go to specialized fire units than to police.
>>
File: a padded jacket.jpg (2MB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
a padded jacket.jpg
2MB, 2000x3000px
>>33962774
*blocks ur path*
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.