[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Granddad served in the British Army for 35 years and gave me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: allthisshit.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
allthisshit.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Granddad served in the British Army for 35 years and gave me all the badges he had collected. His Cap and Beret though. He went from Private to Major.

Served 1957-1992 and joined as a Grenadier Guard, was claimed by his brother to join the RMP and then went onto train soldiers or something and left due to age and frustration with the formation of the RLC.

Anyone know anything about the badges and pins though that might actually be interesting?
>>
File: 1494692320000.png (938KB, 1400x1256px) Image search: [Google]
1494692320000.png
938KB, 1400x1256px
>>33961633
Are these worth anything monetarily?
>>
File: majormcman.jpg (557KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
majormcman.jpg
557KB, 4032x3024px
>>33961648
Well, he officers cap maybe. Was told by him that it was one of the last issued one that still use real gold lace but other than that, no idea. He didn't claim any were his just that he picked them up along the way.

Some may be linked to his service in Zimbabwe, training provisional government forces.
>>
>>33961633
Nothing special or rare there but they are nice things to have, try to add to it.
>>
Not being funny, but you'll get some good information from the lads at:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/forums/royal-air-force.142/

You'll get some proper types who can identify everything.
>>
>>33961633
Medals will go for 40-70£ depending on what it is.

Best bet for you, if I was you, is to get a cloth glass portrait and have everything stitched\clipped onto that. It's history, anon. Your family heritage, don't get rid of it.

Other than that, no. Everything seems fairly grey\in the norm. The badge to the left of the AC wings is interesting, though. Haven't seen that before. Must be pre-2000 reforms.
>>
>>33961730
Never getting rid of any of it. But thank you for your input. It's mostly pre-2000 since he hasn't been involved with the Army since about 1995. I think he did various non-military duties afterwards or something and that's how he got some of these.
>>
>>33961759
Post the medals please.
>>
>>33961759
>>33961766
And not JUST the medals, the ribbons + clasps along with it.
>>
>>33961766
Only medal he has (Never went into Combat, says he wish he had) was some kind of Long Service medal. It's at his house so I can't get a picture of it.
>>
>>33961802
http://www.servicecomm.co.uk/media/image/products/4b08fb73de2bf.jpg

This I believe.
>>
fuck sentimentalism. get what you can for it by selling it and buy yourself a tactical pudding spoon, or donate them to a museum so others may enjoy them too.
>>
>>33961817
Wouldn't sell them while he's still alive. Not mine to sell either way. I don't think they are rare either so the only museum that might take them is the local RLC museum on Sandhurst.
>>
File: Disgust.jpg (71KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Disgust.jpg
71KB, 600x450px
>>33961648
>33961648
Don't you sell any of that you fucking Bong I swear to christ I'll come to your rainy island and suffocate you to death under my Burgerlard
>>
>>33961817
Nothing there is museum worthy, they would end up in a box and buried by dust.
>>
>>33961831
serves me right for failing to read all the words

lol no dont run down to the pawn shop and hock them while he's still alive. but while he's still alive see if you can get him to wear it for a pic or something.

then fuck sentimentalism. dont get attached to things. get attached to people in stead.
>>
>>33961913
Exactly. A collector might want them, but other than that they are only worth something to me (I'm OP).
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.