[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tweaks in designs that'd make some vehicles perform better.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

I was just going from one video to another on youtube and found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhQTBQjXZi0
It's a Panther replica based on on T54/55 chassis, when i look at the wheels it made me wonder. Couldn't germans do them same way that is done in that replica? I mean look at that
>doesn't overlap so easier to mantain
>still looks like could reach good speeds
>easier for crew to mantain + mud wouldn't be that much of a problem
>final drive in the back, no need for shitty transmissions.
What are some other things in vehicles or guns that could've been improved.
>>
>>33959001
>make sure nobody can stick a magnetic mine on your tank.
>tank is full of shit you can hang a mine on with a hook.
>job well done!
>>
>>33959001
>doesn't overlap
are you blind?
>>
>>33959055
are you blind? it doesn't, those are sets of double road wheels but they don't ovelap like in OP's pic.
>>
that thing is build on a T 54, when you can build T 54s, why bother with panther?
>>
>>33959035
not to mention that zimmerith was not needed. Germs were the only ones using magnetic mines on a large scale + that paste was fire hazzard.
>>33959092
becasue people building it wanted Panther replica?
>>
Slope the front armor of the Tiger I, put the 88mm L71 into the turret.
No need to bother with the heavy mess that was the Tiger II. Optionally, remove the interleaved suspension from Tiger I and replace it with the suspension Porsche had for his Tiger.

Probably wouldn't be pretty but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
>>
>>33959135
Hitler wanted to put long 88mm in Tiger but turret was not feasable for that. This is why Jagpanther was born.
>>
Considering how Russians put 122mm on IS 2 I see no reason that 88mm L71 cant be put in to a working turret on a Tiger I.
>>
>>33959152
Why wasn't it feasible? I know the recoil mechanism would probably need to be re-worked, but add a more effective muzzle brake and that takes care of some of the problem.
As far as I know the ammo was just about the same for both so there wouldn't be any more space taken up by the breech mechanism.
>>
>>33959233
Well to be fair, possible and practical are two very different things.
Yes the 122 was put on the IS-2 but it was very slow to fire due to the cramped conditions and two-piece ammo. The British also stuck a 17lber in a Sherman and that arguable created more problems than it solved.
>>
>>33959268
Not enough room + too much of a recoil.
>>
The main problem with panther and tiger are not engineering difficulty, but design philosophy. They want a big ass gun, shit load of ammo, good armor, and 5 men crews. add all of them together and they kill WW 2 engines. If Germans did come to sense, they would have build something like a T 54, a bit longer and slower to accommodate early1940s engine, and armed with a long 88. But that thing would have nothing to do with panther.
>>
>>33959102
>zimmerith
>that paste was fire hazzard.
That is a meme, they even did firing test because of the rumours, but it was never proven to be a problem. They did stop using it although, since it was an waste of effort and resources.
>>
zimmerith
Add more weight to an already overloaded chassis
>>
>>33959464
Even if it was flammable it's not really an issue to the armor. Like when people store fuel on the outside of the tank, it it gets hit and lights up then it spills off or just burns on the outside.
Even if the crew has to bail out it shouldn't effect them too much unless the entire vehicle/area is engulfed.
>>
IS 2 is certainly not a comfortable tank to ride, but that did not stop it steamroll over pz4s stugs, and pak40s all the way to Berlin. The point is you cant have everything perfect. Tank design is about make choices and sacrifices. Trying to be good at every thing make tanks go to 60T and fuck their engine and logistics.
>>
>>33959661
>Tank design is about make choices and sacrifices.
Just install superior to western tank optics on T90 and it will be best tonk
>>
>>33959661
There's a point where you have sacrificed too much though. Cramming a 122mm into a turret meant for an 85mm or 100 mm is perhaps reaching that point.
Yes you now have a big shell with a strong HE round (When you also have tons of 122mm and 152mm assault guns) but what do you lose for that? Rate of fire, ammo capacity, and general morale of the crew forced to endure the cramped conditions.

Looking beyond crew feelings you have to look at what happens in battle. Suppose an IS-2 and Tiger II meet. Both miss their first shots at each other, the Tiger II will have a second round on the way much quicker because of the one-piece ammo.
>>
>>33959081
i thought you were talking about the op pic
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.