[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ rekommended reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 10

File: 1-20-05.0[1].jpg (97KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1-20-05.0[1].jpg
97KB, 1024x768px
Can we get a /k/ recommended reading list going?

I am currently reading pic related, Gates of Fire. Excellent read, I'm about 1/4 the way through it.

What books do you recommend? Can be fiction or non-fiction. Cheers!
>>
the long rain by ray bradbury
>>
Bradbury thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IxOS4VzKM
>>
>>33955796
15 hours by mitchel scanlon
>>
>>33955796
The Maltese Falcon, The Thin Man, Red Harvest, all by Dashiell Hammett.

The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler.

.32s and alcoholism everywhere.
>>
Bumping. I have seen these threads go into the hundreds before.

Adding: The Bourne Trilogy. The plots are about 95% different than the films, great writing.
>>
Starship Troopers is pretty good.
>>
>>
File: 2edgy4me.png (261KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2edgy4me.png
261KB, 1500x1000px
>>33955796
Metro 2033 of course

2034 wasn't bad either but Hunter was such an edgelord it was almost comical, Homer was a pretty good character though (the part with him describing his daughters birth was the best part of the book)
>>
The Gray Man series by Mark Greaney is pretty good.
>>
Team Yankee by Harold Coyle is great if you like tanks or otherwise aren't a fucking idiot

Rainbow Six is good

It's been a while and I stopped reading eventually but I did like Vince Flynn's series for a while.

I have a long drive to work (~1.3 hours) and listen to audiobooks to make it tolerable. Went on a long streak of memiors from Iraq/Afghanistan, my favorites from those were probably:

The Reaper (Nicholas Irving)
House to House (David Bellavia)
Outlaw Platoon (Sean Parnell)

Also you guys might be interested in Command and Control by Eric Schlosser, it's a pretty good book that splits it's time between a detailed retelling of the events of a near catastrophe in a nuclear missile silo and an analysis of the USA's nuclear weapons program in general since it's inception, including many other times that we lost or nearly set off nuclear bombs in our own territory. On the hole I like it a lot, particularly because it comes off with a "holy shit look at how often this kind of shit happens" vibe rather than something like "lol we should get rid of nuclear weapons cuz danger" or some other agenda-type shit. A lot of nature/hiking/travel documentaries I see (looking at you 180 degrees south) at some point go from "wow look at nature its so cool" to "we should stop the expansion of industries and revert to a more primitive lifestyle because I went to south america and saw some trees". Shit gets old. (/rant)
>>
>>33959534
The Judge's speech about war is /k/ as fuck
>>
File: 11e049814eb067f77e1a600d650f62fe.jpg (522KB, 1280x1589px) Image search: [Google]
11e049814eb067f77e1a600d650f62fe.jpg
522KB, 1280x1589px
>>33962524
Also venturing away from strictly /k/ stuff a bit I'd recommend the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. There's multiple sets of books, the first is a trilogy set in a sword/sorcery fantasy setting following a little street urchin of a girl who ends up a powerful magic warrior assassin thing, complete with obnoxious love story arc, but what I'd really recommend is the second series, originally a trilogy but now it's getting a fourth book. This one is set 300 years after the events of the first series and is now in a more modern setting (semiauto guns and basic cars starting to emerge, most people still using revolvers and horses), following a cowboy-like character resembling something you'd see in a Western who gets dragged into big city life and more or less ends up a detective.
In the original series, there were people who possessed a whole range of magic abilities but in the later one, the bloodlines have been watered down a bit so now most people have like 2 abilities tops. The main character can push on metal objects, and per basic laws of physics this will either move the object or himself depending on the object's size relative to him, and he can adjust the weight of his body. This gets cool when he does shit like drop a coin on the ground, push off it to fling himself into the air, and then make himself weigh almost nothing and use the recoil of a shotgun to adjust his course, or when he's clearing a house from top-down and some guys are waiting for him to come down the stairs, so instead he maxes out his weight and breaks through the floor, landing behind them. He's got all the typical makings of a western-story gunslinger; smartass remarks, incredible aim, custom guns made by a top-tier gunsmith, one of which he ends up giving a name that references the first series, and all the bravado and whatnot you'd expect. But I'd never have expected how well it mixes with the epic fantasy magic shit. Definitely would recommend to anyone interested.
>>
File: IMG_20161129_213110.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161129_213110.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>33959534
Great book.
>>
>>33955796
>Gates of Fire
>about 1/4 the way through it

Oh SHIT are you in for a ride, my son. That is one epic book.
>>
Fireforce by Chris Cocks is a phenomenal read for any rhodieboo. really puts you in the boots of an RLI trooper and makes you feel salty about the war more than any circlejerking thread on here ever could.
>>
>>33962703
Is that the "before man was, war waited for it," "ultimate trade waiting for its ultimate practitioner" one?
>>
File: 20170211_022338.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170211_022338.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>33959068

I've got the complete works of Chandler in two volumes, currently working my way through the short stories
>>
>>33962958
Yes
>>
File: Maltese Falcon Bogart and Lorre.jpg (93KB, 1600x1179px) Image search: [Google]
Maltese Falcon Bogart and Lorre.jpg
93KB, 1600x1179px
>>33959068

>The Maltese Falcon

Great film too, Bogart is my all time favorite movie tough guy.
>>
File: 01.jpg (53KB, 494x659px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
53KB, 494x659px
Do you like comics?

I quit reading mainstream comics last year when they turned ice man gay but i still pick up the illustrated novels.

other good books
>The Martian
>All quite on the western front
>The living End(a Modern Dantes inferno esque triptych)
>>
File: 9780525070207-us-300.jpg (26KB, 300x483px) Image search: [Google]
9780525070207-us-300.jpg
26KB, 300x483px
>>33963341
>>The living End(a Modern Dantes inferno esque triptych)
you guys should really check this shit out.

Its got everything from Eternal damnation to crippled Jesus with rim jobs in between.
>>
>>33959068
>>33962976
You guys are all right by me.

10/10 Would drink booze, tail cars and use landlines with
>>
>>33955796
Would not recommend this, unlesss you lime reading play-style in pseudo King James' speech. Too bad, because the Xenophon saga is a true epic.
>>
>>33962954
Not even a rhodiboo and only read it because a PDF was included in the ar/k/, but yeah I agree, good read.
>>
>>33963387
Niven/Pournelle's Inferno might be up your alley then. Pass on the sequel
>>
The Flashman Papers by George MacDonald Fraser

From Wiki:
>The Flashman Papers is a series of novels and short stories written by George MacDonald Fraser, the first of which was published in 1969. The books centre on the exploits of the fictional protagonist Harry Flashman. He is a cowardly British soldier, rake and cad who is placed in a series of real historical incidents between 1839 and 1894. While the incidents and much of the detail in the novels have a factual background, Flashman's actions in the stories are either fictional, or Fraser uses the actions of unidentified individuals and assigns them to Flashman.

Footnoted British military history, and many excellent descriptions of tactics and weapons of the Victorian era. The biggest plus is that the protagonist is a vicious chickenshit bastard that finds himself in deep shit when all he wants to do is drink, screw, and dodge responsibility.
>>
>>33964477
>drink, screw, and dodge responsibility

Havent even read it and I want it to replace "Rifleman Dodd" so at least my JEWs get something funny out of the reading list.
>>
I'm currently re-reading this for the third time. It's engrossing.

https://www.amazon.com/Sparta-At-War-Strategy-Campaigns/dp/1848325304
>>
File: 1469361192299.png (328KB, 680x634px) Image search: [Google]
1469361192299.png
328KB, 680x634px
>>33964761
kys tripfag
>>
>>33964761
Fucking tripfag.
>>
Monster Hunter International

It's about a PMC that uses shitloads of guns to kill monsters from movies and folklore. The author is a former class 3 dealer, instructor, and all-around gun expert, and it shows in the books.
>>
Anyone else read Guns of the Dawn? It's pretty neat. Basically Pride and Prejudice but a quarter of the way in the characters all get drafted because their country is running out of able-bodied men to send to the front.
>>
There is a book I am looking for.

I am not certain it exists, just that this specific book if it did exist would be precisely the book I'd like to read.

There are a ton of books out there about Mercs, and most of the fictional or bad. I've read a few not terrible ones, but the problem is that none of these books hit on the topic that really interests me - and that is how these groups functional as a business.

Blackwater (awful fucking book), only barely touches on this. And I have yet to come across any other book that does. Pretty much every story just makes mention of getting paid in dufflebags of cash, and then going out and shooting up some people. No focus on company structure, HR, pensions, negotiating, that sort of thing.

Which, to me, seems extremely odd as pretty much everyone has just been attempting to ape off of what EO did. But there is no book (my knowledge) that covers what EO did and how they functioned as a company. I want to know the corporate structure and day to day business operations as it were. Not the run and gun, jumping out of helo stuff. I find this to be highly perplexing as it would seem some sort of EO blueprint exists (in order for so many people to copy it), but not out there for us to read about.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.