[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best performing pistol round (.44 mag and smaller)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: 45ACP230JHPWinRangerT-.jpg (29KB, 860x340px) Image search: [Google]
45ACP230JHPWinRangerT-.jpg
29KB, 860x340px
What is the best performing pistol round (.44 mag and smaller) against humans in existence, going by FBI standards? So whatever has the largest expansion and around 15-20" penetration. .45 ACP expands to 1" but I've never seen anything better.
>>
>>33950905
.357 sig for a semi-auto pistol. Hands down. But ammo is expensive af.
>>
File: Ellifritz_Incapacitation.png (35KB, 500x319px) Image search: [Google]
Ellifritz_Incapacitation.png
35KB, 500x319px
>>33950905
Expansion does not make "better performing".
The only reason JHP exists is to keep police departments from being sued. It is no more effective than FMJ in incapacitation, less reliable in feeding, and less penetrating.

Look at this chart. This is compiled from actual shootings, police reports, coroner reports, and so on. You really think .32ACP and .22LR are the one-shot stop kings because of expansion? No, it's because expansion is actually meaningless, and shot placement is EVERYTHING.

In short, JHP is a amazingly well-backed and long-running scam. Stop wasting your money.
>>
>>33950985
That is a spicy pasta, saved.
>>
>>33950905
.22 kills more people then any other round.
>>
>>33950905
.44mag is useful against fucking brown bears with a long enough barrel. The trick with pistol ammo is finding the most powerful round you can reasonably be accurate with. For women and cripples that's usually 9mm or .380.

>>33950983
.44mag deagles exist.
>>
>>33951221
I'm not talking about practicality. I'm just asking what the single most effective handgun round is against humans.
>>
>>33951340
Well in that case, the bigger the better.
>.44mag
>.454 "fuckin'" Casull
>.50AE
>.500S&W
>>
>>33951349
I mean a specific bullet in a specific caliber that expands the largest and has adequate penetration. I already said it has to be .44 magnum or smaller.
>>
>>33950985
Oh hey it's zed replying to himself again.

1. the study you're referring to explicitly states that the sample size of the .32ACP and .22lr are so small as to be useless for drawing meaningful conclusions.

2. The author explicitly states that the relative proportion of ball ammo shootings to JHP shootings seems to skew data negatively. that is to say that ball shootings had noticeably more rounds fired and worse incapacitation likely hood than JHP shootings.

and i quote "What I believe that my numbers show is that in the majority of shootings, the person shot merely gives up without being truly incapacitated by the bullet. In such an event, almost any bullet will perform admirably. If you want to be prepared to deal with someone who won't give up so easily, or you want to be able to have good performance even after shooting through an intermediate barrier, I would skip carrying the "mouse gun" .22s, .25s and .32s."

Zed, leave here and never return.
>>
>>33951359
Anon here who actually somewhat knows what he's talking about.

If you're looking for the biggest expanding bullet that reaches FBI minimums it's going to be .45 ACP Ranger Ts, then probably Federal HST. both typically get about ~13" of pen and .9-1" of expansion.

TBQH i don't think you'll really see any reliable difference in effect on target between 9mm-.44spc though. That's usually more a factor of how many well placed shots you've put on target(that went where they should've) than anything.
>>
>>33950985
>>33951405
All you need to do is look at the image in OP. A JHP is going to cut a jagged path, cause more bleeding and more organ devastation when hit. FMJ you are just using all the energy of the bullet on what's behind the target once it passes through them
>>
>>33950905
>44 mag and smaller
>answering your own question
>>
>>33951476
IKR, unfortunately zed has yet to realize what hunters have known for over 100yrs. Bullets with a flat nose make holes of the same size, bullets with a round nose make holes smaller than themselves. this means that if a JHP expands by 50% the hole it makes will be more than 50% wider than it would with FMJ. Not even mentioning the whole deflecting off bone thing
>>
>>33951405
Thank you for exposing Zeds bullshit

Fuck that cunt
>>
>>33950905
>What is the widest expanding round that penetrates from 15-20 inches

That would be 45, though it's .85 expansion is still only two tenths of an inch more than 9mm
>not a big difference

44 magnum probably has a higher ceiling in terms of expansion/ penetration, but nobody is really making bullets for it that will take advantage of it
>>
>>33951405
>Zed, leave here and never return.
I second the fuck out of this. Zed is the worst tripfag on /k/ this decade. Dumb as a box of rocks and completely oblivious to it.
>>
>>33950985
Does he actually believe that?
>>
>>33951441
>>33951693
That's what I'm thinking, .44 mag has a lot more room for longer hollow points and could push them to 18" I imagine. Oh well, maybe one day it'll be made.
>>
>>33951340
>single most effective handgun round is against humans.

.452 soft lead ball if no body armour
>>
>>33950985
Good chart. Realistic.
>>
>>33950905
>best performing pistol round up to .44 magnum
>even considering expansion as a wounding mechanism when you can get .44 magnum ammunition that will fragment like a rifle round while maintaining adequate penetration

>>33951405
>The author explicitly states that the relative proportion of ball ammo shootings to JHP shootings seems to skew data negatively.
Then why didn't they separate that data for their charts?
>>
>>33953116
>Then why didn't they separate that data for their charts?

Be pretty hard for me to know that not being the author and all. you see, i know it was a factor because the author mentions it but i don't know the actual data because they didnt say it.
>>
>>33953211
If they didn't provide evidence to back up their claim, then their claim is meaningless.
>>
>>33950985
>40 S&W is equal to 45 ACP, and therefore superior due to better capacity with smaller frame

Bullshit

>380 is about 15% more stopping than 9mm
How

>38 special is useful
Fantasy. That whole chart is fantasy.
>>
>>33951349
>.454 "fuckin'" Casull
Criminally underrated post.
>>
>>33951639
>>33951724
Are you really this angry>
>>
>>33950983
.357 sig is cheaper than .357 mag. .35 to.45 cent a round.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.