[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which Martial Arts do you know /k/ ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

File: martialarts.jpg (135KB, 2340x2963px) Image search: [Google]
martialarts.jpg
135KB, 2340x2963px
Taekwondo and Hapkido are my best but I'm looking other ones to train, remember to train yourself /k/
>>
>>33948817
Hey, Hapkido here too (three years). I've also done Shaolin kung fu, pong lai, wing chun and kajukenbo (none for very long). Hapkido is my favorite so far.
>>
>>33948838
Amazing, Im practicing Hapkido since I was 17, and Taekwondo since Im 15; Im now 21. What would you recommend me to practice ? Tell me about your training. I feel attracted to Wing Chun but Im not so sure about it
>>
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, been doing it since I was a kid in the 90's. My son is 7 and I just started him up in bjj too. With him I'm gonna keep him in bjj and either put in him boxing or muy Thai as well.

I think it's important to learn a stand up striking skill as well as being able to roll on the ground.
>>
>>33949237
You're right, I want to train complementary martial arts, different styles for being able to see the different options in a real life confrontation is my main motivation. Good for you and your kid ! Martial Arts from lower ages are very good not only for self-defense but for your own psychological health; be sure he doesn't use it in wrong occasions, is hard to restrain as a kid or to read the environment sometimes
>>
>>33948817
Judo for almost 20 years and on and off boxing/kickboxing.
>>
>>33949294
The place I take him has a huge kids class and the way they have the program set up in genius. When I started around nine years old I got burnt out quick but my dad kept me going. This place has it broken down by age group and maturity level, something I've never seen a bjj studio do. Usually everyone of all levels go and kids/teens are mixed with the adults. There's a heavy emphasis on restraint and respect. Sometimes the kids will get pissed at each other and the instructors will make them shake hands, talk, hug, go back out and train. I'm not good at explaining shit, it's much more in depth than that.

They start the kids with warm ups but make the activities little mini games. The entire class is set up like a game then they get serious for a few minutes, teach a move, practice, then right when the kids are about to lose focus they'll change it back into a game. The games are nothing by little cardio sessions. For example there's about 20 kids in his class alone. They'll have them sit in a giant circle and play a duck duck goose type game but it's basically just wind sprints. The kids just think it's a fun game and love it.

I don't even have to motivate him to go, in his seven year old mind he is just going to play with his friends and bjj is just what the place is called.
>>
>>33949384
>kids/teens are mixed with the adults.
I fucking hate this, even holding back the kids can get hurt and will not learn anything.
>>
>>33949384
That sounds great, congrats to the teachers/trainers. I do not like when they mix kids and adults, it's just doesn't works. Glad to know kids enjoy that approach, I learned Taekwondo with 2 friends and my teacher, the people you share with have great impact
>>
I've been practicing karate since I was seven. I'm only a first dan, I'm overdue like crazy to test and rank up. I moved away from my teacher, I've stayed in contact but it's been kinda catch as catch can.

I've also had the chance to dabble a little in Brazilian jiu jitsu and muay Thai. Love 'em.

Oh, I did kendo very briefly. Lot of fun and pretty interesting. Actually got some practical stuff out of it.
>>
>>33949478
I refuse to go higher than 1st dan because thats when they expect me to start helping to instruct, I have no desire at all to do that.
>>
Wrestling, Judo and Ju-Jutstu (the non-gay, jap style)
>>
Shotokan as my hard discipline (for years, started at 10) and learned Chen Taiji from one of the Tiger's protege's when I was 23, studied it a few years before manual labor started eating into all my free time and energy. It is not easy to get back into a discipline with tons of isometric holds after injuring several joints. And then I got a gun after shit went crazy in my state and someone tried to hit me with a car. I think that was one of my better decisions.
>>
>>33948817
bootlegged parkour
>>
>>33948817
Taekwon-do for years. My master was more of a traditionalist though so I didn't do the lame olympic taekwon-do sparring where all they do is tag points. It was a lot more similar to karate honestly. After that I transitioned to muay thai and boxing.
>>
Used to do kickboxing and wrestling. But I've dislocated my shoulder too many times, so I had to quit. It got so bad, I would knock my shoulder out of joint when doing light hooks.
Wrestling is also out of the question now, because of my shitty shoulder.
I only do weightlifting now.
>>
>>33949478
I got medically retired out of the military, fell to major alcoholism and depression. I never left my house and got up to 255 at 5'6.

I came up with excuses that I was gonna work out and get in better shape before I started bjj back up. I felt like shit because I was so out of shape and fat. Really self conscious and didn't want to show my face at a bjj place out of embarrassment. I recently just started going again and I wish I would have went much earlier. Only bjj gets you in shape for bjj and all the excuses and fears I had couldn't have been further from reality. Everyone is super cool, no egos, and really friendly.

Even when I'm sucking air and feel like I'm dying people are positive and just encourage me. The first day I showed up I couldn't even finish the warm up but no one was really judgmental and kept pushing me.

I know your post has nothing to do with my rant but I wanted to throw that out there for anyone that's on the cusp but has something keeping them back.
>>
Sambo and Muy Thai, with a dash of high school wrestling and 4 years of MCMAP. Mostly focus on the Sambo though.
>>
>>33949738
Training one's body and will is fundamental, very related to my post and martial arts. Keep up the good work my friend, well done
>>
>>33949731
This might sound crazy, but why don't you learn all about individual arm / leg moves of martial arts. Not being able to use one arm is bad but not incapacitating to practice at least form, strenght and technique with the other, so you manage well in a street combat
>>
>>33948817
I've only done Jap Ju-Jitsu so far. Looking for something a little different as well. Might go for BJJ since JJJ doesn't really have much ground work in it. It's more about fighting upright and killing your opponent through the use of breaking joints and bones and chokes, as well as a massive emphasis on throws.
>>
>>33948817
Originally from new york, spent a few years training judo there. When I moved to SC I started training Brazilian Jiujitsu and mauy thai at a MMA gym.

Judo has gotten me out of trouble more than once, I haven't had to use the others yet.
>>
>>33948817
taekwondo. best thing thats ever happened to me

train hard /k/ train hard
>>
>>33948971
Katas (forms) are total bullshit if you're going for real-life self defense training. I've always hated katas in any form for any style in every art. That being said, if you're into it for the spiritual and art aspect, katas are useful. I recommend always practicing blocks and strikes using your center (tanjung I think is the word) whenever you think about it. Just light tosses of your hands or a few quick circle blocks using your center, or some kicks. Nothing you need to set time aside for; just when you're waiting for a shower to heat up, or watching your food cook, or just stretching your legs. That way it's always fresh in your mind.

The other arts I practiced I don't remember much from. Shaolin was kata heavy, wing chun was all cardio, pong lai I only remember a few katas and kajukenbo I did as a kid. I don't have any grappling background so I always aim to do two things if I have to fight: unleash the inner beast and keep it off the ground.

The hardest part by far for me has been accepting the fact that I may have to seriously injure someone when the time comes. It's easy to say "Sure, I can crank my fist into this guy's solar plexus" but when it comes time and the adrenalin is pumping things may get hairy. You have to be ready to do that and not hold anything back, because it might be YOU in the hospital instead. That also being said, always run away if you can unless there's something to protect. So if you get jumped by two or three dudes looking to rumble, don't be a hero: get the hell out of there.

That's pretty much it, aside from situational awareness. Always be planning your moves if someone attacks you. When you pass a guy on the street, think about your response if he swings at you. Things like that.
>>
>>33950246
Two person katas like those present in judo can be good for learning the movements.

https://youtu.be/YOcVfmmMBLY
>>
>>33950311
That I'll agree with. Katas can also be good for learning movements. But single person katas have so little practical use in real life situations, which is why I hate them.
>>
>>33948817
Tang Soo do. Trained upto age 12 as a red belt.

Also MCMAP as a green belt.
>>
>>33950246
I've never understood this, punching people's faces for me is borderline soothing- cathartic certainly
>>
>>33951012
I'm the guy above you. Martial Arts is for self defense. And great excercise.

You don't do it to be destructive against others. Think of it Yoga for men.

Was on, wax off, grasshopper
>>
>>33949516
Really? I spent 18 years getting mine (started when I was 3) and I really didn't like it too much most of the way. But now that I'm a sensei I have a couple of self defense/ stranger danger karate classes that I teach to kids in the inner city. I enjoy it a lot more now
>>
>>33950335
Maybe you never learned how to do katas right. They are a lot of times tought with specific foot positioning and directions when thats all supposed to freeform so you learn to adapt better. It's way better to practice and learn it through kumite
>>
>>33948817
krav maga. Not technically a martial art, but it's effective for self defense and getting you used to getting hit/absorbing blows.
>>
>>33951546
>not technically a martial art

Daily reminder that "combatives" is just branding.
>>
>>33948817
Brazillian Jijuitsu. I suck at it but it's a fun sport. Because I'm also a fuckin' nerd, I'm learning European Longsword (Italian school) from a HEMA school. When am I going to use it?Probably never, but it's fun.
>>
>>33948817
Ameridote.
>>
>>33950482

Infantry spotted
>>
>>33951546

>not technically a martial art
>made up of a bunch of different martial arts

Get a load of this good goy
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.