[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A few weeks ago I was talking with another anon about buildi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11

File: rifle.jpg (2MB, 5312x1745px) Image search: [Google]
rifle.jpg
2MB, 5312x1745px
A few weeks ago I was talking with another anon about building a precision rifle based off the Howa 1500.
This is my first rifle and my second firearm. I finished my build today, so I wanted to share.

>$470 24" Blued Heavy Barrel .308 1:10 twist rate. Barreled Action from Brownells.
It came with a two-stage trigger, it has about 5mm of travel before the break, which is very crisp. The bolt handle nearly bumps into the little magnification rod on my scope, so I had to mount my scope as far forward as I could, the handle when open is ~3mm away from scraping the rod. I had to file two little ridges under the feed lip to get my magazines to fit, see below.
>$400 MDT LSS Chassis from the MDT website
>+$23 underbarrel picatinny rail from MDT as well
Rock solid billet aluminum chassis covered with cerakote. The rail is also aluminum, it's very well machined and also has an excellent finish, it includes a swivel cup mount, but I don't use it.
>$510 SWFA SS 3-15x42 Scope from samplelist.com
The reticle uses mil-quads with .10 mrad turrets. I got it cheap because it was during the NRA Atlanta sale, plus it was used (demo-a) off samplelist.com. Looks brand new, I don't see any defects at all, not even any scratches. It's got no zero-stop function unfortunately, but I don't know yet if I care.
I'm using butler creek covers, size 17 for the objective lens and size 14 for the eyepiece, ~$15 for both from Amazon.
>>
File: mags.jpg (2MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
mags.jpg
2MB, 2656x1494px
>$320 Atlas Bipod BT46-LW17 PSR
It's an Atlas and it was expensive as fuck. The QD mount is actually really nice.
>$73 Surefire Procomp 7.62 from Midway
Fits nearly flush with my barrel and matches the barrel finish. Unfortunately they were difficult as FUCK to index and I fucked up the edges a bit tightening it. In the end I just used loctite blue. I'm going to replace it with a $103 Lilija Heartbraker soon.
>$66 Daniel Defense buttstock from Primary Arms
>+$30 buffer tube and castle nut from Brownells
At first I had a magpul CTR stock, but it was loose as fuck so I returned and got the DD instead. It's extremely tight-fitting and I like the ergonomics. The only downside is that I can't install a cheek riser or aftermarket recoil pad, the stock came with 2 different pad types, but they're both really hard rubber. The LSS chassis only needs a castle nut and buffer tube to attack a collapsible stock.
>$32 ATI X1 AR-15 Grip
Comfy rubber for my palm, hard polymer for my fingers. The beavertail was too high, so I had to file it down to fit with a rotary tool. It doesn't look TOO bad, but I wish it fit better. I would've prefered the X2, but there was no way in hell that was fitting onto the LSS.
>$100 10 round AICS magazines x2 from Brownells
Holy shit I regret this one. These mags fucking suck. Feed lips are too narrow, and the spring is too strong, so it scratches the fuck out of my brass and makes it really hard to work the bolt. I had to bend the lips back and sand the fuck out of them to get the magazines to feed properly. Not to mention they're not compatible with the Howa action, so I had to file 2 little ridges out from the action to get them to lock in the magwell. The polymer MDT magazines are like $35 and much much better, the problem is that they can't take A-Max bullets because there's not enough space on the follower. At least the metal AICS mags look nice.
>>
Forgot to mention
>$67 Game Reaper Howa 1500 short action scope mount from amazon
Fits perfectly, didn't even scratch the scope when I had to take it off to adjust some things.

>$20 STI 2 Point Rifle Sling from Amazon
>+$20 Sling swivel studs
It's pretty nice, not much to say, studs are expensive as fuck for what they are though.
>$12 Angled QD Sling Swivel Adaptor
Attaches to the picatinny rail, moves my sling to a comfier position.

I had some paracord so I just made a little braid behind the picatinny rail as an accent and to pad my fingers a bit when shooting offhand.

All in all I spent ~$2,250 on the rifle, not including taxes, shipping, FFL fees, and the various tools I used to work on it, which I already had. I might've bought a factory rifle for better quality, but what's done is done.

I bought a Pelican IM3300 Storm Case ($215 Amazon) to carry the rifle and I totally fucked up cutting the foam. I was going to buy a closed cell foam replacement anyway ($42), but I fucked up the cutting so bad I don't even want to post a picture.

Biggest regrets were buying AICS mags and tinkering with the action to fit the mags. And also fucking up indexing the muzzle brake and fucking up the case foam. The grip was also a pain in the ass to modify. I'm really happy with the LSS chassis and the SWFA scope in particular.

All in all, I'm pretty happy. Going to the range tomorrow to zero it in. Going to shoot German surplus 142 gr FMJ ammo ($12/20), PPU Match 168gr BTHP ($14.5/20), and Federal Gold Match 168gr BTHP ($18/20).
>>
47 inches with the stock fully extended
43.5 inches when collapsed.
12.2 lbs unloaded with the AICS magazine
13 lbs when loaded with 10 rounds
>>
I use Birchwood Casey Barricade on all the exterior metal surfaces except the barrel/action.
I used Hornady One-shot HD Extreme on the barrel, action, firing pin, and chamber/bore.
I applied a bit of Slip2000 onto the bolt lugs.

I used a bit of Superlube grease on all the screws as an anti-galling measure.

The action is attached to the chassis with 65 inch/pounds of force via two screws.
25 inch/pounds on the scope via 4 screws.
>>
>>33945728
Fucking why though anon, the Howa was a nice gun till you tacticooled it. If you wanted to get into long range stuff then just go shoot some tahr or elk.
>>
File: 1433371802883.gif (920KB, 245x154px) Image search: [Google]
1433371802883.gif
920KB, 245x154px
>>33945977
It was a barreled action before I "tacticooled" it, unless you were going to hold it by the barrel when firing, pull the trigger with no grip, and work the bolt with no stock, I didn't ruin anything. It was made to be tacticooled and the chassis was made for the Howa.
>>
>>33945728
not the greatest job but for a first time build you didnt do bad given the problems you ran into id give it about a 7.5 out of ten it be an 8 but i cant forgive the muzzle index goof
>>
File: 1477089395642.webm (908KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1477089395642.webm
908KB, 720x720px
>>33946035
thanks anon
>>
File: 20170409_201838.jpg (1020KB, 2409x726px) Image search: [Google]
20170409_201838.jpg
1020KB, 2409x726px
>>33945728
Looks good.

It will be a fun shooter.

The aics mags. Yeab i hate them . Thr magpul onrs have been great

I havr the same scope.

Also doenload the Strelok app it is a balistics app and has the swfa scope in it.
>>
Get some peel washers and re index the break.
>>
File: ok.jpg (27KB, 738x395px) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
27KB, 738x395px
>>33945728
>first rifle
>doesn't even know how to shoot and build ballistic table
>doesn't reload
>will ruin the barrel just by cleaning it
>build an ultra sniper lazor gun for one ground and more
>>
File: 20170409_202946.jpg (538KB, 966x1016px) Image search: [Google]
20170409_202946.jpg
538KB, 966x1016px
My build above.
>6.5 crredmoor heavy varmit barreled action Howa 1500 from Brownells.
Had it threaded and checked for true at my smiths.
>mpa chassis
Took a while to get, at the time they were not doing many Howa 1500 chassis, and mine was even made to the wrong spec. But to their credit they fixed the issue and overnight expressed the new chassis, and paid shipping both ways. I had great communication with them.

>swfa 3-15
love it

>harris bipod
I jusy moved and can not find the box that had my atlas bipod in

>specwar 762
I have a 7 ultra in 6.5 from thunderbeast waiting in jail
>>
File: 20170409_202741.jpg (1MB, 2001x1434px) Image search: [Google]
20170409_202741.jpg
1MB, 2001x1434px
>>33945728
To solve your cheek pad problem. You can make your own.

Mouse pads stacked on top of each other and taped to the stock. Is effective. Or get a magpul prs
>>
>>33947308
I don't see the problem, it's not like he dropped 4 grand on a pre-built rifle and a bunch of other accessories without knowing anything at all. He clearly did his research and will be able to learn on a rifle that he'll know the ins and outs of intimately.
>>
>>33945977
>>33946035
He didn't do bad. For the $ that's not shabby at all.

OP, your action screws should probably be at 40inlbs not 65. Also, scopes are usually 13-18, not 25inlbs.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Debating on whether to get a chassis or not. I think Ill stick with this stock and maybe get another mag
>>
>>33947453
If it fits you stay with it

I got the MPA because i could adjust it to fit my body. I am 6ft 8 with a long LOP. A standard stock just wont fit me. But tje adjustable chassis do.
>>
File: TikkaT3Varmint.jpg (885KB, 2997x1105px) Image search: [Google]
TikkaT3Varmint.jpg
885KB, 2997x1105px
Not to be a jerk, but:
>spend $470 on barreled action
>spend $577 on scope and mount
>spend $1096 on chassis, stock and accessories

Am I the only one to see an issue here?

The chassis, stock & its accessories are horrendously "meh" for the price. Why the fuck would you even want to put a subpar AR15 stock without cheek riser on a scoped rifle?
The compensator is entirely unneeded to get started. And now you're going to waste even more money on putting a more expensive one on?

Should've invested in your action and the glass. Could've started with a vanilla freefloated stock with a decent Harris bipod. That's easily $600 more you could've put to better use.

I'm all for "buy once, cry once" (the mags & bipod are good for instance), but you invested more than the cost of a Tikka T3 Varmint, and you came away worse as far as I'm concerned.

>>33947453
>Debating on whether to get a chassis or not. I think Ill stick with this stock and maybe get another mag

AICS
KRG
GRS
McMillan
Manners

All good stocks, but most important is that it fits you (in ergonomics AND usage).
>>
>>33947308
How will he ruin the barrel?
>>
What manner of gay thread have I clicked into?
>>
>>33947605
If you take away the overpriced as fuck AICS mags and Atlas, it's like 500 for the chassis and etc. And the SWFA SS 3-15x42 is excellent for the price and they're usually $700. I would've spent more on the mooun, but if it works, it works.
>>
>>33945728
On the swfa. Find your zero. Then remove and reset the caps.
>>
>>33947605
I disagree on the compensator. Having a good brake helps reduce recoil and get back on target to spot your shots and be a better shot. I would even put one on a .223 if it helped.

I agree on the Tikka though; a CTR or varmint would have been perhaps a better option IMO.
>>
>>33945728

I dont get pistol grips on bolt actions, If your operating a bolt then your thumb comes back down on the wrist of the stock more naturally.
>>
>>33951049
try it out.

from the bipod the pistol grip is great,
>>
Different fag here thinking about a bolt gun in 6.5 Grendel. Is the Howa 1500 Mini-Action or the CZ 527 a better starting point?
>>
>>33951103
6.5 Grendel is taking a step back for the 6.5 platform in my opinion. It loses its only advantage when not in an AR-15 platform. If you're doing a 6.5 bolt action, just do creedmoor. You'll get better factory ammo if you don't reload, and better ballistics. Yes, you're using more powder, but that's not a bad thing.
>>
>>33951328
My goal is to ammo-share with a semi auto (leaning towards a scoped totally-not-an-SVD Vepr since I already have an AR in 5.56) and get ~$0.20/rd plinking ammo for both, and there are no 6.5CM semi autos to my knowledge.
>>
>>33951357
They make 6.5CM gas guns (AR-10's) but they can't be loaded as hot as bolt guns (pressure issues) and they use the 120/130's not the 140gr's (which are the better rounds to use).

Yes, there's wolf 6.5G ammo, but it's ~2-3MOA at best and if you're using 6.5G, you are probably shooting beyond .223's capability so you want match ammo so you won't be using plinking ammo.

I've done the 'jack of all trades, master of none' thing, and I ended up hating it. My advice is to just do your AR-15 and a 6.5CM bolt gun and get ammo for each.
>>
File: first trip out.jpg (2MB, 4729x2988px) Image search: [Google]
first trip out.jpg
2MB, 4729x2988px
OP here, went benchrest shooting today at 100 yards to zero in the rifle.

It was moderately windy, with 18-24 mph gusts.
I used 147gr FMJ german surplus 7.62x51 for ~$0.57/round

The shot at 5-5 in the top left was the first shot. Shot 5 round groupings starting in the center (4 shots), then bottom left, bottom right, top right, top left.

I thought it was decent considering it's the first rifle I've ever shot and also using surplus ammo.
>>
>>33952974
Keep practing. And the groups will tighten.

Consistancy is key.

When you switch to match ammo it should tighten up, if you hand load , even more.

You should try and shoot every week or two, work on skill builders.
>>
>>33952974
With surplus your not doing bad.

http://www.lyndenhuggins.com/hunting/info/targets/100ydtarget.jpg

I recommend these targets
>>
>>33952974
>>33945728
Looks good OP. I thought about building then I fell in love with the RPR and got one of those. 100% happy. I like the minimalist look you got going on.

But I think you need a better stock, 320 for a bipod is shit bonkers dude, A harris or even a knock off atlas will do 95% of what the real deal will do. I got one of the magpul AICS mags and its pretty sweet,

I'm in 6.5 but the idea of being able to plink with surplus tickles me. Those groups are actually quite good with bulk ammo. You should get some match ammo and you'll be under MOA all day, mine has never shot a 5 round over an inch at 100 and does 0.5-0.6 inch with Hornady match.

Focus on the basics, trigger control, breath control, consistent cheek weld, practice often. I'm an AR guy but precision shooting is a lot of fun.
>>
>>33945977
t. never seen competition guns
>>
>>33955303
I did buy some 168gr Federal Gold Match and 168gr PPU Match, but I decided to burn through some surplus first.

The buttstock actually feels alright to me, I have a big head, so it turns out I don't need a cheek riser at all, if anything, the stock being a smidge lower would probably improve my sight picture.

And yeah the genuine Atlas was expensive as FUCK, but it honestly works really well. Plus I think the harris is ugly as fuck.
>>
>>33955436
>168gr
You should look into 175fgmm, I see it come on sale within a few cents of 168 and your 1in10 might prefer heavier bullets.

Well if it fits you then don't change it, the worst thing is the guy who's constantly changing components or developing loads instead of shooting.

And haha, yeah I have a knock of atlas on my mine because of aesthetics, but I honestly prefer the way Harris quick deploys and extends the legs in the notched leg version.
>>
>>33955703
I've actually seen some 175gr for about the same price as 168 as well, but I wasn't sure if it mattered for shooting under 1k yards. But I will look into it, especially when I start reloading.
>>
>>33945977
>chassis
>"tacticooled"

God you children kill me
>>
>>33945754
AICS mags are widely considered one of the best bolt gun mags ever. Surprising you are having a hard time. Maybe after you've run them for a bit they will wear in and stop marking your brass.
>>
>>33955867
Good.

You dirty fudd
>>
>>33955401
not that guy but I dont think anyone would consider an MDT LSS chassis for comp use.

The sloping front doesn't lend itself for barricade shooting, but is decent for offhand. The rail section for bipod use is a lil too short if you want greater stability on prone shots. Not allowing for out of the box use of rifle length buttstocks, and before someone says "they have an adapter". If you ever used the adapter you'd know it gets in the way of your hand when shooting with your thumb around the pistol grip, and adds too much LOP which can make it so your scope can never come back far enough to get a perfect sight picture. Now even if you were to use the carbine length buttstocks, most wiggle around very easy. Even when using the magpul ctr you can get a slight twist as well.

I'd say going with the MDT LSS is good only if you want an ultralight build that'll accept AICS mags, and you understand its shortcomings before going down that route.
>>
>>33957103
Are you retarded? that guy meant that just because a person uses a chassis doesn't make something tacticool
>>
>>33957136
Durrrrr
>>
>>33957128
I'm talking about the general look of the chassis-based competition guns and what I perceived as that anon's retarded fuddery.
>>
>>33947308
And now he knows more about the rifle than any newbie that just bought one off a rack. He sure as fuck wouldn't be able to build it had he not looked into the details of doing so, so learned to shoot isn't going to be some hollywood freemason initiation ritual and you sure as fuck don't need to play the barrel break in game or reload to become a good shooter.

Go fuck yourself
>>
>>33957128
Totally agree on the short rail section for the bipod being a shitty thing on the LSS. I had one and it drove me fucking bonkers.
>>
>>33947605
>Why the fuck would you even want to put a subpar AR15 stock without cheek riser on a scoped rifle?
>but most important is that it fits you (in ergonomics AND usage).
Bruh
>>
>>33951328
Nope, still has the advantage of a smaller gun, shorter action and cheap as wolf ammo. Also gains the advantage of longer OAL from heavier bullets that won't fit/feed in an AR
>>
>>33959557
What did you want a longer rail section for?
>>
>>33960054
bipod closer to you = more angular shift for a given breath/nudge

>>33959592
Up to you man. Yes it'll be an intermediate cartridge but it ain't going to come close to a creedmoor. There's a good balance for velocity/recoil/barrel life for a given diameter. A 308 bullet is 300WM; a 264 bullet is 6.5CM/260R/6.5x47 (though 6.5x55 is awesome).
>>
>>33960116
oh I thought you meant you wanted a longer rail itself
>>
>>33960116
>bipod closer to you = more angular shift for a given breath/nudge
I actually did noticed this on the LSS, but I don't mind, since I'm using it for comp anyway, I just love the aesthetics and ergo.

Also, canting the Atlas legs forward 45 degrees brought the pivot point forward about 3-4 inches.
>>
>>33960557
not* using it for comp
>>
>>33959518
>play the barrel break in game

Even AI thinks barrel break-in is a retarded meme
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.