[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best rifle to equip a poor country's Army?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 191b1jt08r86gpng.png (342KB, 970x476px) Image search: [Google]
191b1jt08r86gpng.png
342KB, 970x476px
We are talking about an acquisition of at least 50,000 units.
It is necessary to take into account the later acquisition of spare parts, or even the possible local manufacture of the same.
The viability of the caliber, if the rifle is 5.56 × 45 mm and the standard ammunition of the country is 7.62 x 39 mm (as in most poor countries) if it is convenient to perform the replacement.
>>
You already know the answer.
>>
>>33944067
FAMAS
>>
Gotta update france to the hk416
>>
>>33944067
I wonder what kind of weird shit requires operating in Greenland
>>
>>33944458
M1917 Enfields in 30-06 and Glock 20s

Not joking, look up the Sirius Patrol. Part of the Danish Army
>>
Depends how poor "poor" is. There's a not insignificant economic and strategic benefit to an indigenous design. That's a good option for a country like Nigeria. For a country with literally no money or resources, black market AKs are the only real choice.

If we're going for an indigenous design I would say this:
>roller delayed blowback
>stamp everything that can be stamped
>6.8 SPC, manufactured locally
>add a heavy barrel and a bipod to achieve LMG
>add scope to LMG and get shitty DMR
>make glorious shortening, achieve carbine

You have pretty much all your small arms covered by one design and one cartridge.
>>
>>33944067
ar15
>>
>>33944067
>West aligned
M4 or M16
Most 5.56mm ammo is produced in the West and they have the annoying habit of cutting off arms supplies. Not a great option if you expect to fight a western-backed force.

>Russia aligned
AK-74 or AKM
Not many options for getting 5.45mm ammo other then Russia. The AK-74 is the better rifle and Russia is less likely to cut off supplies then the West but its still something to keep in mind. Also more expensive then the AKM.

>Non-aligned
AKM knockoff.
7.62x39mm is produced by multiple nations who do not give a shit about arms embargoes. If you want a supply chain that will never dry up then go with 7.62x39mm.
>>
>>33944805
If they are only buying 50,000 units then indigenous production is a bad idea, unless there is an pre-existing firearms manufacturer.

Rifles really need economy of scale. Look at Japan, they pay over $2500 per rifle because the production numbers are so low. Its just not worth it.
>>
AK-47 or Mosin Nagant

This should pretty much go without saying...
>>
File: 1493292804894.jpg (959KB, 1600x837px) Image search: [Google]
1493292804894.jpg
959KB, 1600x837px
>>33944067
If the country already has 7.62x39 as a standard, then let's keep it and get something like ex-Warsaw Pact AKs (Polish, Hungarian, Romanian...) or Type-56s, the military ones aren't bad and will do the trick for a 50K strong army of a small, poor country. Plus, if you go for the East Bloc surplus, you can negotiate to get RPKs, Makarovs and PKMs in the lot.

Speaking of East Bloc, getting Vz.58s from ex-Czechoslovak surplus is a good snowflakey choice, you get solid rifles, that use your usual calibre, are light, and you can get good GPMGs and pistols in the deal.

No need for local manufacture, you can just get a shitton of these for cheap, and store more. If you do want some security, you can haggle with the sellers and scrape a couple thousand nuggets or Mausers to equip a militia, for cheap or even free if you order a couple dozens of milsurp T-55s or 72Ms and some slav APCs from the same source.
>>
>>33944067
Why are over half the countries in Africa armed with rifles that never existed?
>>
>>33944067
Valmet or Galil Ace if NATO ammo is easy to come across, AKs firing 5.45 or 7.62 if that's more readily available. I'm not even an AK fag, it's just they're cheap and they work.

Old battle rifles seem to work just fine too, so G3s, FALs etc will be good enough. Ultimately, provided the rifle works and ammo is available, it really doesn't matter too much.
>>
>>33946700
Because ameribros are stubborn fucks who don't know that AK-47 existed in 3 prototypes. Either that or they just got to add a number to every acronym.
>>
>>33946747
While you're not wrong, it's not just Americans that do it. Most yurops I see call all 7.62x39 aks AK-47s too.

It's just ignorance, really.
>>
>>33944067
New Zealander here. That map is inaccurate, we're using a CQB16 variant now.
>>
AK-47's for everyone.
>>
>>33944067
i read that f88 autisteyr
>>
AR15, always and forever.

If the country is dirt poor, Type 81
>>
>>33944067
Probably some chink version of the AR-180
>>
>>33944067
Turkey should be updated since they're moving away from the HK33 and replacing it with the MPT-76.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.