[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you have killed him?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

Would you have killed him?
>>
>>33941693
No
>>
He committed a war crime.
He has to go.
>>
>>33941693
No. He's gonna end up reading maps behind the lines again at the end of this retarded mission. Not his fault he's not cut out for this and got sent here anyway.
>>
>>33941745
He let friendlies die through his cowardice and then murdered an unarmed pow, he needs to go.
>>
>>33941758
>killing G*rmans
>bad
>>
>>33941736
Who didn't in that war?
>Be my great-grandfather
>German sniper shoots well liked GI
>Cottage surrounded
>Sniper captured
>Sniper thrown from window
>Platoon beats him to death on the cobblestone street below
Hey. He could've surrendered BEFORE he shot their buddy. But he surrendered after instead.
>>
>>33941758
Me shooting a friendly is a war crime in itself.
>>
>>33941693
Yes.
>>
>>33941779
>But he surrendered after instead
You'd have done the same.
>>
>>33941693

Fuck yes I would have killed Upham. Worthless fucking war criminal.
>>
>>33941693
without a moment of hesitation all Nazis deserve to die
>>
>>33941819

I love how in the film he is portrayed as the "good guy", he is a worthless human being who let his friends die through his own cowardice. The very friends that have babysat his ass all the way up to that point. Then tops it all off by shooting dead an unarmed man in cold blood after the battle was over (that he was too pussy to take part in). Never has a movie character made me rage so much.

REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 640x904px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 640x904px
>>33941693
Well, where do you draw the line between justice and revenge /k/?
>>
>>33942020

Killing someone to cover up your own failures isn't justice. It's not even revenge. It's just cowardice. I could deal with Upham killing the guy because he wanted revenge. What I can't deal with is him letting his friend die while he say crying in the corner and then trying to act like a badass when everything was done and settled.
>>
>>33941795
something tells me the same thing would've happened to him then too
>>
>>33942064
he wasn't trying to act like a badass. The point in the movie was that it was a natural progression for a new inexperienced private being exposed to the brutality of war. At first he's a coward who shits his pants and is too scared to even take part in the fighting. After being exposed to the horror and atrocities, he himself essentially commits a war crime. The point is to show what war does to people, even a guy that just an hour or so earlier in the film tried to stop his friends from killing a prisoner because it wasn't right.
>>
>>33941693
Upham was sortof a tragic character, not just for his own sake. He was a fish out of water and the whole squad suffered terribly for it. Uppham's mind would have probably not been right at all after those experiences either, if not for the atonement he made in killing the german soldier he'd released earlier in the movie. It was kind of his passage to being a real soldier, even if it took too long.
Part of me got mad at him at certain points, the other part remembers how unaccustomed he really is to being in the field and empathized. I feel more sorry for him than mad overall. I don't know whether the movie was more about saving private Ryan or Upham's ugly ascension to soldier status.
>>
>>33942111
>At first he's a coward who shits his pants and is too scared to even take part in the fighting.
>At first

They should've made him do that change in the middle of the movie then. Instead, it's 2h 40m of him being a hindrance to the guys and letting them get killed. 10 minutes later the movie ends.
>>
>>33941758

He was never supposed to be in combat in the first place.
>>
>>33941693
No.

It was literally the first day he fired his gun since basic. He wasn't even infantry, Capt. Miller brought him along to translate, so freezing up under fire could be forgiven. It could even be argued that since Miller gave the order to execute Steamboat Willie at the radar station, he was only living on borrowed time anyway.

Also, "Let 'em burn" and "Look ma, I washed my hands for dinner"
>>
>>33941693
in a heartbeat, worthless coward got men killed
>>
>>33942226
get outta here with that philosophy science bullshit

i just want mindlessly shoot people that i disagree with at face value without having to further think about the circumstances

fuck him and fuck you hippie
>>
>>33941928
He's not portrayed as the good guy. He's portrayed as a guy with good intentions that's unfortunately very clearly fucking up despite them. The film shows in full the consequences of his action, on top of his frame of mind, so I think they're respecting the intelligence of the audience to draw their own conclusions about the character.
>>
>>33941693
i would have been on the german side so yes
>>
>>33942226
This. Most of the other opinions here are gorilla-tier intelligence
>>
>>33941693
"Dont let him go I have sixth sense about these things."
>Slowly stabbed by the man he had a sixth sense feeling about
>>
>>33941693
No, he shouldn't have been made to be there in the first place.
>>
>>33941758
>murdered an unarmed pow
In war, you kill the enemy. Unless he is a high value target, then there is no such thing as a POW
>>
>>33944580
>you kill enemy POWs
>enemy kills your POWs
>nobody gains a military advantage, both sides take higher casualties
>>
>>33944625
Kill more of them than they kill of you

Scorched earth policy

It's war, not a fucking playground.
>>
>>33944652
>do this
>next war comes around
>enemies know that you kill POWs
>enemies don't surrender
>if any of your own guys fall into enemy hands, they get killed
>take higher KIA for no benefit whatsoever
>>
>>33944666
Surrender or don't, kill them anyway.

It's war, not a fucking playground.
>>
>>33944652
>Scorched earth
That's not what that means.
>>
>>33944673
>I enjoy the idea of dying for literally no reason

Tee bee aytch, this actually sounds like a lot of 4chan posters now that I actually type it.

Carry on.
>>
>>33944686
It is for me. Destroy everything
>>33944699
The reason is glorious war
>>
File: not him.png (70KB, 717x262px) Image search: [Google]
not him.png
70KB, 717x262px
>>33944446
Different Nazi.
>>
>>33945094
Wew lad. Never noticed that
>>
>>33944666
>if i play nice then my enemy will too
Grow the fuck up, satan
>>
>>33944580
>>33944652
>>33944673
>>33944712

E D G Y
>>
>>33942064

>Killing someone to cover up your own failures isn't justice

I don't see it as covering his failure as him redeeming himself. Him finally realizing the hell that war is, and in so doing dropping the kraut that should have been dropped the first chance they had earlier in the movie

The pussing out and crying is pretty unforgivable though, so the above mentioned redemption isn't entirely justified. It's just him trying to do what he could. I'm sure he spent the rest of his life thinking about it and feeling guilt for what it's worth. The guilt of not being able to handle a thing he likely never signed up for in the first place
>>
>>33945530
They might. If they're civilized they usually will. There's plenty of precedent.
>>
>>33945710
>civilized
Again, grow the fuck up. I'd rather be quickly executed than submitted to the torturous POW conditions that every barbaric group America has done combat and with over the last 50+ years
>>
>>33941693
No, he is a coward that deserves to live with his choice.
>>
>>33941693
yes.
or at least would NOT let him in charge of getting me my ammo.
cunt
>>
>>33945651
>The guilt of not being able to handle a thing he likely never signed up for in the first place
>>33944471
>No, he shouldn't have been made to be there in the first place.
>>33943394
>He wasn't even infantry
>>33942969
>He was never supposed to be in combat in the first place.
A soldier is a soldier is a soldier. If you're out in the field as a part of a military, you should 100% be ready to kill the enemy, either to advance your mission, help your fellow soldiers, or save your own life. He had no excuse.
>>
>>33946968
I meant that he shouldn't be in the military in the first place, especially if he was drafted. If he's a draftee he's not to blame at all.
>>
My fav part of the movie is when they knifed the Jew
>>
>>33941693
i like how they made all the german soldiers hardened looking skinheads in this movie when in reality at this point in the war the germans mostly only had kids left
>>
>>33947350
>that edge
>>
>>33946968
>be a draftee
>be a draftee who's in a non-combat role
>HURR WHY AREN'T YOU A HARDENED KILLER LIKE MUH CAWL OF DUHTY CHARACTERS?
>>
>>33941772
Back to /pol/
>>
>>33947366
Do you actually believe that ?
>>
>>33941693
Not only is he a useless pussy, that let his friends die and committed a war crime, but he let the rest of the Germans that were surrendering escape.
>>
>>33946968
>A soldier is a soldier is a soldier. If you're out in the field as a part of a military, you should 100% be ready to kill the enemy, either to advance your mission, help your fellow soldiers, or save your own life. He had no excuse.
>>
>>33947377
>buying into the propaganda
>>
>>33941693
ITT: a bunch of autistic gorillas don't understand that Hollywood blockbuster war movies are catered to normies that feed off of emotion only and don't care that much about historical accuracy or being completely logical.
>>
>>33941693
The embodiment of autism. He vainly tries to rationalize his existence with abstractions but he ultimately fails himself and his comrades. He just didn't have his heart in the fight. The truth was he was just another cheap conscript fighting (((somebody))) else's war and he knew it. I feel bad for him.
>>
File: 2353245432.png (173KB, 288x370px) Image search: [Google]
2353245432.png
173KB, 288x370px
>>33947708
>a soldier is a soldier
>>
>>33941693
Of course not.

Upham was a cartographer and translator. A POG, not trained for urban warefare. He as much as admitted he hadn't fired a weapon since Basic. It wasn't his role.

If Upham's CO had drafted one of the rangers to replace him, is it on the ranger when he fucks up and sends a convoy into a swamp? Any deaths caused by Upham's actions or inactions are entirely on Miller's head.
>>
>>33947794
I don't know if she's bragging about that in this pic
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.