[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cleaning Out An Old Gas Mask

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

File: A01-BK2569.jpg (118KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
A01-BK2569.jpg
118KB, 1000x1000px
Alright, so I found this cool Russian Surplus gas mask online, and I plan on buying it because of the pure fact that it looks cool, but one problem, the old filter, is filled with asbestos. Now, I don't want to just throw it away unless I have to, so do any of you have any idea how I could clean it out? Like I said, I'm going for form over function, so I don't care if the filter is all but useless, as long as it doesn't kill me.
The website I'm buying it from: http://www.chkadels.com/Russian-Military-Surplus-Gas-Mask-SCHM-41M-With-Hose-29986
>>
>>33941670
The filter won't kill you unless you see visible corrosion on the canister or hear rattling inside the filter. Asbestos is only harmful when it's broken into dust.
>>
Well, I'd like to make sure that there is no asbestos period, in case it does corrode or something
>>
File: asbestos.jpg (91KB, 921x720px) Image search: [Google]
asbestos.jpg
91KB, 921x720px
>>33941670
the old filter doesn't have asbestos in it you goober
fucking do research before you start up with this shit
>>
>>33941670
Slav shit does not contain asbestos. It contains carbon. Think logically. Asbestos is expensive, carbon is not.
>>
Others who have also bought it have reported finding asbestos in it
>>
>>33941887

Asbestos show as "visible corrosion" when it degrades to dust.

Just dont use/breathe the filter OP. if you just mean you're using the filter attached to the mask as a showpiece, it wont hurt you.
>>
I suppose I'll ask here.
How are you supposed to wear those masks? Do you just let the filter dangle around on the end of the tubing? Do you sling to over your shoulder or something? Swing it around in CQC situations?
>>
>>33943751
it comes with a bag
you let the filter rest in the bag
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (151KB, 1288x966px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
151KB, 1288x966px
>>33941670
most coffee can filters have asbestos but should not hurt you if its not damages ..i wouldn't take the chance thought ...this is coming from some one who just spend 400ish bucks an a mask too
>>
>>33943751
You put the filter in the bag or else you get the hose akin... to that of something tangled or worse, broken/with a hole in it.
>>
Can someone please tell me if the gas mask is safe or not, I'll just get rid of the filter, but is the rubber contaminated
>>
I just plan on hanging it up in my room or something or wear just the mask and hose as a part for costumes and stuff, I just want to know if it's safe to have outside of a plastic bag, and please, give me educated information instead of you seeing it in TF2 and thinking it's safe, christ, all I want is to not get cancer from this thing
>>
>>33946630
what mask ..if its milserp it should be good as they dont sell contaminated shit
>>
File: C01-BK2569.jpg (103KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
C01-BK2569.jpg
103KB, 1000x1000px
>>33941670

I have couple of these masks and they're safe to wear. Mine look like pic related. I'd recommend washing the rubber part of the mask with hot water and some soap, it gets rid of the smell. I found mine in some old soviet chemical factory.

I wouldn't recommend using the filter for a long period of time just in case but i haven't had any problem with mine.
>>
File: gas_mask.jpg (1MB, 3500x1629px) Image search: [Google]
gas_mask.jpg
1MB, 3500x1629px
Also, maybe this helps you
>>
>>33946198
>$400
>c50
i send my condolences to your parents for putting up with your autism
>>
>>33946198
>400 bucks for a mask.
what the fuck, why so expensive?

Mine (a Civilian Israeli) just cost me about 1100 Tacopesos=60 dollars.
>>
File: computer_react.jpg (23KB, 427x431px) Image search: [Google]
computer_react.jpg
23KB, 427x431px
>>33947273
mfw he probably bought it from a site that sells them to security contractors, first responder agencies, and law enforcement and didn't realize they could be picked up for far, far, cheaper
>>
>>33947165
most of that infographic is totally false

not to mention that they even have the wrong picture for the m17 porkchop filters
>>
>>33947236
>brand new
>Australian dollars and shipping to this shit hole
>slightly exaggerated price
>more like 350
>>
File: download.png (87KB, 1016x381px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
87KB, 1016x381px
>>33947236
>>33947273
>>33947290
also i sold up masks from slav shit so the price doesn't really concern me as i just spending profit ..last mask i sold was an s10 kit for 250
>>
>>33947236
>>33947273
>>33947290
so without shipping to auslandia
and without over exaggeration mask itsself brand new 220ish usd
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.