[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Firearms ownership in japan BEFORE WW2?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: pistol sword.jpg (71KB, 499x395px) Image search: [Google]
pistol sword.jpg
71KB, 499x395px
I want to ask, how common was gun ownership in japan before WW2?
Could the average jap go into a gun store and buy a military surplus arisaka, a double barrel shotgun or a imported western pistol?
Did the goverment encourage, prevent or was neutral on the deal?
I wouldn't be surprised if it encouraged private ownership of weapons and the americans disarmed the population after they occupied the islands.
Was there any time when the japanese had easy access to firearms or any weapon for that matter?
>>
Japanese peasants got all their weapons taken from them after the unification of japan
>>
Considering how Nazi Germany had more relaxed gun laws than modern day Britain,I'd imagine Japan would've had similar laws.
>>
>>33933041
How about between 1870's and 1945?
>>
>>33933012
To be honest, I don't know, and quick Googling isn't helping.

I would guess not, though. The Meiji restoration banned the carrying of swords, but I cannot for the life of me find a translated text of the actual full edict. Some references to it imply it was a larger ban on weapons, which would make sense.

In essence, the government wanted force to be only in the hands of the government. Force in the hands of those outside of it was viewed as a sign of insurrection by it, so besides hunting shotguns I can't imagine there being much of a market.

Even more to the point, I don't know of any turn of the century Japanese pistols other than Military ones and the Hino-Komuro. I also don't know of any import or proof markings for civilian guns. Chrysanthemums abound, but those were strictly for government weapons.

I'm pretty sure the only private purchase available was for officers. But, to be honest, I can't read Japanese, nor do I have a nice collection of translated Japanese turn of the century law.
>>
>>33933710
Well i guess that it means that japanese have always been slaves to their rulers.
Is there any movement for right to keep and bear arms in japan?
>>
Firearm ownership was never big in Japan. The Tokugawa shogunate basically made it illegal for non-samurai to have any kind of weapon under penalty of death in order to avoid uprisings. The Meiji era probably had slightly more lenient laws, but I don't know much about that. There used to be a decent Hunter culture in Japan, but that's dwindling these days.
>>
>>33933041
Wrong, it was after, only shortly, but still after. Peasants could own Tanegashimas for the first 10 years or so after the Meiji restoration.
>>
>>33933866
I met an old bearded man in Japan who carried a sword. He was nice, his sword was nice. I have no idea if he was allowed to do that but nobody seemed to mind.
>>
It wouldn't have been common, but it was legal to own pistols before WWII. You can commonly find old Meiji era registered pistols here in the US that were taken home by GIs. Here is a S&W model 2 that is so marked.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-antiques/230182-japanese-marked-s-w-no-2-a.html

And technically all officers of the Japanese military bought their pistols with their own money, but they were all bought and sold at officer clubs so that was a little different.
>>
File: Mutsuo_Toi.jpg (14KB, 220x300px) Image search: [Google]
Mutsuo_Toi.jpg
14KB, 220x300px
This guy had a browning shotgun
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuyama_massacre
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.