[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Army thinks it needs a new rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: oldguardinanutshell.jpg (92KB, 764x960px) Image search: [Google]
oldguardinanutshell.jpg
92KB, 764x960px
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/why-the-army-thinks-it-needs-a-bigger-bullet/ar-BBATg9j?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

(Pic unrelated)

Am I the only one who thinks this is fucking retarded? For those of you not bothering to read, I'll summarize.

>Army: Modern combat takes place outside of 330 meters
>The enemy shoots a more lethal bullet than us (because it's bigger)
>5.56 sucks at getting through level 3 body armor
>AR-15 platform is infamously unreliable
>We need a new rifle!

To which I counter:

1: The M4 is rated to hit a man-sized target out to 500m, start issuing ACOGs to more than 1/9 of the troops to let them use that range.

2: Change the ammo. Go to AP or SAP rounds with a higher powder load for better armor penetration. Just make sure you change the recoil system this time.

3: The reliability issues in 'Nam were caused by changing the ammo without altering the recoil system. Nowadays the primary problem with M4's jamming is caused by the 30-40 year-old magazines they're still using. Replace those and feeding problems will drop drastically.

4: You're not supposed to get into a stand-off fight at 300m, you're supposed to set up the MGs and flank the enemy.

TL;DR Army doesn't need a new rifle, they need more ACOGs, new ammo/buffer system and new mags. I swear the corporate overlords are pushing this on the Army and now they're just making up bullshit to justify it to an ignorant populace.
>>
Have you lived under a rock for the last 15 years? Literally nothing will happen like the other 5 times they decided a replacement was "needed". Army will cheap out and decide to upgrade the M4 again.
>>
The military will stick with the M16/M4 platform until the next big jump in ammunition technology. We are at a plateau right now as far as weapons development and there would be no reason to replace a service rifle with something that is only marginally better in some aspects
>>
>>33932810
I'm not surprised the talk of replacing 5.56mm is getting serious now. When it got standardized by NATO in 1980 many European countries had trouble with it and didn't like it.
>>
They need something in the 6mm range, replace the barrel and bolt and call it a day.
>>
>>33932810
sauce on the chest rig?
>>
>>33935870
It's of a guy I knew back when I was in, as published by The Salty Soldier about 6 months ago. I think it was a privately purchased FLC, because some people just fucking hate standard issue gear.
>>
>>33936067
thanks
>>
>>33932810

You and every other ARfag realizing that the drop in price isn't caused by the world waking up to the glory of the AR and deciding everyone needs one, but by the fact that it is, at heart, a lightweight plinker with grandiose ideas of being tacticool, too light and ineffectual to pull its weight in the field.
>>
>>33935870
It's a tactical assault panel
>>
>>33932810
>5.56 sucks at getting through level 3 body armor
Maybe if they didn't adopt literally the worst 5.56 cartridge available this wouldn't be a problem.

Ever since the AR-15's adoption it's been continuously crippled. The A2 rear sight. burst mechanism and barrel profile, M855/SS109's adoption over M193, adopting the M4 as the standard issue rifle. They won't stop until they get rid of it, and they won't be able to get rid of it. There's no point in even paying attention to whenever the army attempts to adopt a new rifle because it won't happen.
>>
So, ARfags are finally admitting defeat to AKfags?
>>
>>33936171
>>33936228
I'm not ARfagging, I'm budgetfagging. US has the largest military budget in the world, and the reason why is because the military wants to waste it all on bullshit like this.
>>
File: 1494498667264.jpg (73KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1494498667264.jpg
73KB, 604x453px
don't they have 7.62x54 for when they want bigger boolet
>>
>>33937295
It's x51, but either way that would need a new lower receiver, not just a barrel/bolt swap like >>33935592 suggested.
>>
>Army gets new rifle
>Trump repeals the NFA
>Market flooded w $350 M4s and cans
Don Jr please talk to your dad about this
>>
>>33937328
i hope he does something pro gun before he gets impeached
>>
>>33937328
Those M4s are going to be destroyed, passed down to lower tier reserves and guard groups or be sent over seas to "rebels" and "freedom fighters" in 3rd world nations.

They are never going to be sold to the U.S. public.
>>
>>33936207
spot on, big thanks my dude
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.