[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Halp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: Plumbata_shotgun_slugs.jpg (323KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Plumbata_shotgun_slugs.jpg
323KB, 1024x768px
Hello /k/,
Completley new to guns, I want to get a shotgun for home defense.
Should I go with buckshot or slugs for maximum murder power?

Thank you in advance.
>>
>>33928069
I don't really think that there is something that, close range, would be more deadly than a slug.
Their only weakness is that they don't penetrate much like rifle rounds on hard materials but, unless people will come at you wearing steel plates, they will get mashed up really good with just blunt force alone.

Hell they take down thick wild boars with ease.
If you're really paranoid go for heavy, magnum slugs.

Remember two things tho: a shotgun can be loaded with various ammo in the same magazine/tube.
And shotgun ammo can be a combo of both slug and some buckshot pellets in the same cartridge.
>>
>>33928098
Awesome, thank you so much for the amazing answer, anon.
I just figure if they are stupid enough to break into my house, they should have to deal with the consequences.
>>
File: 1420248020097.jpg (916KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1420248020097.jpg
916KB, 2048x1152px
>>33928103
I do suggest to practice some tho. Shotgun's recoil is kinda heavy compared with other guns, even with bottom weight loads.

Try to have a feel for slugs, but don't discard buckshot loads. I do keep stacked some #4 buck before slugs; you want to be sure to hit something because even the most powerful round if missing targets, causes zero harm.
>>
>>33928122
Good point. It would be my first gun ever, so Im gonna go with some friends to the range and theyll show me the ropes anyway.
>>
Go to a range and shoot some buckshot at different distances. They don't open up much until 15-20 yards in my experience where some brands get erratic patterns out of my mossman.
>>
>>33928204
Would them not opening up make them more lethal, or less would you say?
>>
File: Untitled.png (16KB, 854x287px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
16KB, 854x287px
>>33928069
You can defend yourself from yourself by not having a gun :-)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17426563
>>
>>33928220
Opening up means greater shot dispersion. Greater chance to hit your target, but the shot pattern may be diffuse enough that fewer pellets will hit.

If you're shooting indoors, you'll almost never run into a situation where this is a problem.
>>
>>33928224
Im not trying to kill myself anon, I just get off on icing someone who trys to break into my house.
>>
>>33928239
Ahh, ok, thank you.
Sorry for my dumb questions, but I knew it would be easier to talk to you guys than go online.
>>
File: why not both kid.jpg (11KB, 268x219px) Image search: [Google]
why not both kid.jpg
11KB, 268x219px
>>33928069
i kinda think that's the beauty of a shotgun, you can alternate between the two on the fly.

some professional video opinion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USs4AfyI9wM&list=PLYqiOqBy2WM_cHA3TZUY2rzonjrGg0wie
>>
>>33928249
in all realtiy shotguns really dont "open up" at close ranges. depending on the barrel and choke, it won't be much bigger than a open hand at home defense ranges. also, use buckshot.
>>
>>33928275
Good video, thank you
>>
>>33928288
Seems we have a vote for buckshot and a vote for slugs
>>
>>33928069
>Murder power

Lawyers gonna have a field day
>>
>>33928303
lucky gunner has like 10 videos talking about the home defense shotgun. most of it caters to the remington 870, but it's all relevant to using shotguns in general. check it out. it'd be good for a new guns like yourself.
>>
One of the guys at my LGS insisted on keeping his first shot as bird. Said it wouldn't outright kill someone in most cases, but still could punch through a piece of plywood.

Is this fudd thought, or a decent point?
>>
Slugs are for deer. Use buckshot.
>>
>>33928328
What gets a deer, gets a man.

t. US Military when adopting a .223 rifle
>>
Can somebody recommend me a slug that'd pierce level III vests?

Living in a country where bandits wear those to ransack your house.
>>
>>33928328
>Slugs are for deer. Use buckshot.
did you even think about wtf you said?? man people are stupid.
>>
>>33928324
birdshot is gonna kill you just fine. sounds like he's talking out of his ass.
>>
>>33928224
15%
>>
>>33928344
The point is, numbnuts, a slug has to be accurate and powerful to get a clean kill.
You don't need that with Jamal.

But it you want to sacrifice a few inches of spread that may or may not make a difference, less overpenetration, and markedly less recoil go for it.
>>
>>33928328

>Slugs are for deer. Use buckshot.

Summer.
>>
File: IMG_0456.jpg (80KB, 619x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0456.jpg
80KB, 619x600px
Buck and ball
>>
File: stop your faggotry.jpg (49KB, 343x462px) Image search: [Google]
stop your faggotry.jpg
49KB, 343x462px
>>33928386
well how about say that instead of some ignorant shit. what a dumbass.
>>
>>33928337
An 556 will sail right through
>>
>>33928441
>I'm a literal retard who has to have everything spelled out for me!
Nah.
>>
>>33928448
you're the fucking retard that said buckshot isn't for deer. omg hurry up and eat your cornflakes, you're late for class faggot. maybe they'll teach you how to count to 10 today.
>>
>>33928473
Go ahead and point out where I said that.
I'll wait.
>>
I am not murrican so I am not very well versed in "home defense" shit but since my country is becoming a shithole too I've started looking into it (and firearms in general) and I have given the home defense thing a bit of thought. Barrel length, auto vs pump vs double barrel etc.
Unless you live in the middle of literally nowhere, overpenetration is a concern.
I can see slugs being useful if the nig takes a familymember hostage or something but that's about it. And if you want it as an option instantly you'll have to have a double-barreled shotgun with barrel selector or two triggers, with one slug, one buckshot but that obviously has its own problems.

Based on the little I know after having watched some BASED PAUL HARREL videos I'd probably have a short pump or semi-auto full of large birdshot or some variety of buckshot. Both are clearly capable of shredding a person but the finer the pellets, the less overpenetration (through walls) is a concern. If you expect burglars to wear heavy armor you should probably invest in a fort or just move away.

Watch these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kcp5vep_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiHHgjaR0TI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prziwvjq46g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc

And start shooting clay pigeons to get accustomed to the gun, it's fun.
>>
I wouldn't even keep it loaded, all you have to do is rack the slide and the perps will shit themselves as they run screaming out the door.
>>
>>33928337
Where the fuck do you live? Thunderdome?
>>
>>33928069
Neither, for home defense you want beanbags. You won't always want or be able to justify lethal force. You might need to defend yourself against someone you don't want to kill, like if you need to get information out of them later. Also, in some states you can still be charged with murder for killing someone who broke into your house. Also, you might come home to a situation where they've already broken in and gotten their hands on your gun and are ready to use it against you.
Having less-than-lethal rounds in your gun also makes you less likely to hesitate using it than if you think you're going to kill them, and you don't want to hesitate.
>>
>>33928691
Especially loaded in a smoothbore barrel. Extra less lethal that way.
>>
I'd go with birdshot as it's just as good of a deterrent as buckshot, but penetrates much less. Don't want to hurt anybody but the bad guy.

https://youtu.be/dbqe7idEcLM
>>
>>33928444
>>33928690
Donetsk

"War effort tax collection" is a common thing, I pay but fear they'll demand more than I can give and I only own a shotgun.

Is there a specific type/shape of slug that's considered the best for level 3 vest penetration?
>>
>>33928691
They come into your home armed -_-
Are you fucking dumb? Never hesitate to kill.
Your life is more precious than those assholes.
>>
File: 1436709196243.jpg (50KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1436709196243.jpg
50KB, 640x640px
>>33930473

Not him, but where I am from (Swedenistan) I doubt the law sees it that way.
I have even heard stories of people getting sued when strangers with no permission to be on their property (probably burglars) have slipped on icy stairs or whatever. Might have been single cases of miscarriages of justice but it seems every other case is a miscarriage of justice these days as shitskins get community service for childrape etc. The regime is illegitimate and rotten to the core either way so you can never expect justice. This is the case in most of the west however. Some call it anarchotyranny.

I'd have no moral qualms about shredding home invaders with multiple doses of #8 birdshot then pushing them into a salt quarry.
If there were no witnesses I might just "shoot, shovel and shut up".
>>
>>33930173
3inch Magnum Sabot Slugs.
>>
>>33930661
how the fuck have you guys gone from

"Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without."

to the shit show you guys are nowadays?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.