[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does this Gun actually just suck? Literally every WW2 Pistol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: M1911_A1_pistol.jpg (267KB, 1600x1042px) Image search: [Google]
M1911_A1_pistol.jpg
267KB, 1600x1042px
Does this Gun actually just suck? Literally every WW2 Pistol in the German's Arsenal had a better Muzzle Velocity and Foot Pounds. Diameter and Penetration don't exactly seem useful in the cases of that War in regards to the 1911, either. I mean, it set the standard for Future Handguns, and all. But it in of itself seems like garbage.
>>
>>33927780
wars aren't won with pistols
>>
>>33927780
>penetration doesn't exactly seem useful

You wanna know how I know you're full of shit?
>>
>>33927791
That is true, but still.
>>
>>33927780
It was fine when it was created, minus the grip safety. It was made obsolete years before WW2 though. It became completely obsolete once armor plates became a common place thing.
>>
>>33927795
>in the cases of that War
>>
>>33927797
There has yet to be a war fought where bought sides had standard issue body armor that a 45 couldn't get through at close range.
Although the 9mm is said to be better at going through body armor it has no chance against plates, even the AP ammo.
The handguns we are using today would be ineffective in a war between two modern militaries but that's why handguns in general are less and less important and relegated to people less likely to be in combat.
>>
>>33927822
So the solution is to adopt the five-seven.
>>
>babbie's first thread
>>
>>33927802
Muzzle energy, velocity, expansion, yaw, destabilization, none of that means squat in handgun calibers.
They all are too weak to reliably kill or incapacitate with hydrostatic shock.
The only thing that does matter is penetration and permanent wound cavity.
The 45 has done and continues to do well at those things.
The 1911 in it's time was an excellent fighting handgun, and you'll be hard pressed to find any accounts from that time that say otherwise.
>>
>>33927830
Absolutely, that's why it was designed, but it's limited to that specific role of a military sidearm, outside of body armored targets its only benefit versus the 9, 40, 45 trio is ammo capacity.
>>
>>33927830
no real need to spend the budget to do so when your primary weapons are rifles and other long guns long before you turn to your handgun.
>>
>>33927836
I wouldn't say they're that weak. And I have no doubt that for it's time it was great. But after a Decade or 2 after WW1 it seems a bit much to have kept using it without bumping it up a bit, despite your comments on penetration and wound cavity.
>>
>>33927871
The 45 ACP from a 1911 lacks nothing in effectiveness versus unarmored targets, the alternatives can only offer lower recoil and more capacity.
It wasn't replaced or updated because there was no need to replace it or update it.
That's NOT saying it CAN'T be improved just that there was no reason to.
>>
>>33927961
Huh. Okay then.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.