[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Base Bleeds and Bullet Engines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: BaseBleed.gif (40KB, 494x411px) Image search: [Google]
BaseBleed.gif
40KB, 494x411px
Are you aware with the concept of a base bleed? They can extend range and improve ballistic performance/characteristics by filling the vacuum created on the backside of a bullet and reducing drag. However, what if a micro- ramjet/scramjet were built into a bullet? A bullet is the perfect environment for such an engine, as the initial propellant explosion propels it to supersonic speeds necessary for such an engine to operate. Could this potentially be used to propel bullets to hypersonic velocities, or perhaps be used to fire spacecraft into orbit?
>>
What size bullet are we talking here?
>>
>>33923959
Most likely large, artillery grade ones. If it could be sufficiently miniaturized it would be interesting to see assault-rifle sized or so ammunition with scramjets in them just to see how fast they could get to see if they could serve as low-power kinetic penetrators or something.
>>
>>33923984

It can go as fast so long as the bullet head doesn't exceed 7,600 degrees, the melting point for most forms of depleted Uranium. Though the army could just use literal rocks/ceramics as bullets too.
>>
>>33924202
>Though the army could just use literal rocks/ceramics as bullets too.
Gyrojet 2: Bullet Engine Boogaloo
>>
>>33924202
I doubt they could survive the acceleration though.
>>
I want a Gauss Gun firing these.
>>
>>33924236

it just needs to stay in one piece, especially if it is ball-shaped so it's specific orientation doesn't matter as much

superheated balls flying through things sounds like fun, because even after impact it would continue to be hot (imagine a bullet melting through a solider or a tank into a crew member's lap)
>>
>>33923937
Only real application I can see for this would be anti-material rifles, sort of how the first Barrets were marketed. "It's too big for people, but you can render enemy equipment inoperable from a mile away.

System cost and cost per round are going to be pretty insane, but it seems like it'd be a natural pairing for that CIA project that made a .50BMG round target-seeking. Depending on velocities and penetration capabilities, this might also be a viable Anti-Tank system, at the very least it seems like it'd be a cheaper alternative to countering heavy cover and armored vehicles than an AT-4 or Javelin without the limitations of the 203.
>>
>>33923937
By the time you're putting an engine in the projectile, we're no longer talking about bullets.

Arty, though...
>>
>>33923937
>scramjet in a bullet
Are you retarded? Building a fueled, precision manufactured engine into a bullet that gets fired off by the dozen and immediately destroyed?

Even putting aside the practicality aspect, no.
You couldn't even get airflow into bullet at so small an intake, so it physically cannot work. Air doesn't scale down when you scale down your engine. Also how do you hold fuel and do fuel injection?
>>
>>33924229
ha, good one.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.