[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Sporters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Shit pic related. Top is Mauser my dad got me two Christmases ago, bottom is the Mauser I recently came into possession of.

I think whatever lgs or bubba who worked on the top rifle did a good job on it.
I hate when people sporterize now, but I imagine this was done in the 80's when Mausers were still as common enough to fuck with and not care.
>>
>>33923161

A lot of the sporterizing may have been done just after the war or in the 1950's when companies could pick up old bolt actions and surplus ammo for them almost for free. I had a pretty nicely done Lee Enfield which was put into an aftermarket stock, had two inches of the barrel cut off and a new crown done and had a scope mount added. The receiver had a company name who did the conversion stamped into it along with the date of conversion as 1953.
>>
File: 1903 Sporter.png (2MB, 1229x670px) Image search: [Google]
1903 Sporter.png
2MB, 1229x670px
>>33923161
There's a difference between "Bubba'd" and "Milsurp action built into a sporter".

There are a lot of very classy rifles built on milsurp actions. It all depends on the execution. Here's a 1903 I bought that is class as fuck in every way... but it's still a "sporter".
>>
>>33923161
If it was done any time more than say, five years after they stopped either manufacturing them, then it's a bubba no matter how much "class" it has.

Nobody wants a corvette stingray that now has a spoiler that's not from a corvette stingray.
Nobody wants Mona Lisa with a mustache.
Nobody wants a stamp that isn't original.
Nobody wants collectible comic books with pages torn out of them to make the story "flow better".

Guns are no exception and anyone who disagrees is probably the reason this disgusting shit happens.
>>
>>33925892

>m-muh p-pure breed guns!
>m-muh class!

I agree with your argument, but fuck me, you sure are cringey.
>>
>>33923161
If it was done a long time ago and done well, I don't really care. Sure, if it was a particularly rare or collectable rifle then it hurts a little, but it almost certain rare or collectable when it was sporterized.
>>
>>33925986
*almost certainly wasn't

fuck my keyboard
>>
/fudd
>>
>>33925892
Have you considered that collecting and history isn't the primary interest of every gun owner?
>>
>>33926398
and those assholes need to go buy a savage axis and stop fucking up historical pieces for those of us who want them
>>
Back in the 50's through even the 90's/early 2000's for some of the stuff it was cheaper to buy a surplus rifle and turn it into a hunting rifle than buying a new one. While a tragic loss of history they are their own unique part of history with a lot of variation in quality and aesthetics.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.