[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PTSD and the understanding of good and evil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: 1494308186499.jpg (52KB, 769x767px) Image search: [Google]
1494308186499.jpg
52KB, 769x767px
So Jordan Peterson, in talking about the individual's capacity of good and evil, said that PTSD is formed when someone does an act of extreme brutality (like war, killing of another human, ect. (not necessarily something evil)) and at that time they do not understand or fully grasp that they could do evil.

Also, the best way (he's found) to treat it is to help that person understand that fact that every human, especially themselves, can do both good and bad. Is this the case for any one here who does or has suffered from PTSD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USg3NR76XpQ

He starts talking about it 46 minutes into the podcast.
>>
ptsd can also occur in children who have suffered serious physical trauma, like a car accident for instance.
>>
@33919411
>PTSD and the understanding of good and evil
Has nothing to do with this board outside of a tertiary association with weapons because the military uses weapons and a lot of milfags have PTSD. /k/ is about gear. 4chan really needs a military board so shit like this can go away and real /k/ommandos can go back to sperging about katanas.
>>
>>33919578
thanks for your input.
>>
>>33919411
>PTSD is formed when someone does an act of extreme brutality

Well, it's more of a balance between human threshold and experiencing brutality. One man can have their limbs blown off and watch all their buddies around them die, and still somehow make it out ok (though usually stoic about for good reason). The next man might developed PTSD from getting shot at and maybe losing a buddy.

Experiencing brutality isn't a matter of who committed it so much as actually being in it.

Though I concur with the solution. But in addition to the below greentext, also note that life has its ups and downs, and its just a fact of life you have to come to accept.

>Also, the best way (he's found) to treat it is to help that person understand that fact that every human, especially themselves, can do both good and bad.
>>
>>33919591
You're welcome. Hopefully it'll help you not shitpost in the future.
>>
>>33919750
Well it certainly isn't helping anyone right now, eh?
>>
@33919817
>it certainly isn't helping anyone right now

Of course it is, that's why you thanked me. You're welcome, Anon.
>>
>>33919870
you don't even know who you're responding to. kill yourself.
>>
>>33919578
Mentality/the mind is the ultimate weapon. is it not? Is it not the difference between a cosplay of a solider and a practiced warrior?

I am genuinely curious in the difference in what goes on in the head of the two said people. This is the best place to ask.

By the way >>33919591 is not OP.
>>
>>33920291
Peterson explains it, really. they get ptsd because they're not prepared, they don't know that humams are capable of evil and it damages them to suddenly experience it.
>>
>>33919577
Those children could also get PTSD from watching their parents get killed in a car wreck, even though the children were physically unharmed.
>>
>>33919411

>le peterson faec

Fuck off back to /pol/. He's the Christian version of Harris - there is no distinction between the two. Both are useless.
>>
>>33920701
t. defeatist
go clean your room
>>
>>33920291
>Mentality/the mind is the ultimate weapon. is it not? Is it not the difference between a cosplay of a solider and a practiced warrior?

Being a warrior is a talent, something you're born with. All humans have that talent, to a greater or lesser degree. Some choose to repress their martial talents in favor of other endeavors. That's not necessarily a bad thing, Somalia being a perfect example of what happens when the majority of a population pick the warrior option.

Being a soldier is a skill acquired through training. Virtually anybody capable of feeding and dressing themself can become a soldier.

On an individual basis, warriors tend to be better fighters than soldiers. However, a group of soldiers will usually beat a group of warriors due to organization and training.
>>
>>33920603
I know that, but I'm asking if anyone here has dealt with that before while dealing with PTSD.

>>33920701
I like him, I will admit, but I want other information from different people, hence why I'm asking is he right or wrong.
>>
>>33920881

He's fundamentally wrong, he doesn't know what PTSD is. Or he's classifying it way too narrowly. If I am to take what you say as his definition, and you aren't completely misconstruing what he said.

A person who had cancer (or even has cancer), can develop PTSD from their radiation and chemo treatment.s

A person who had a heart attack can develop PTSD from their heart attack.

A person who has panic attacks can develop PTSD from their panic attacks.

A person who has sleep paralysis can develop PTSD from their sleep paralysis.

Good and Evil do not factor in any of the above.

PTSD is the result of a singular or condition event that leads to a traumatic break in a person's psyche. It isn't some dualist retard shit like good vs evil. This is why sane people ignore Peterson and throw him the garbage (like Harris) where he belongs.
>>
>>33920881
could you refine your question?
>>
>>33920927
This. Why do we insist on throwing shit like "Good" and "evil" into discussions on human psychology?
>>
>>33919411
He's an idiot who talks outside his areas of expertise.

PTSD comes from a prolonged exposure to an unpredictable unpreventable threat of death. Snipers. Artillery shells. IEDs. These are the things that cause PTSD more than anything else. You brain understands that you could die at any moment, but is powerless to do anything about it. It fucks your brain up, the human brain is evolved to deal with threats that it can feasibly intercept but when the threat of death is truly unpredictable and unpreventable your brain can break. Unexpected car accidents also cause PTSD for the same reason.

Does he think civilians in Sarajevo were committing attrocities, and that's why they have PTSD? No. They have PTSD because they lived under the constant thread of unpredictable death.
>>
File: 090814_kelly_churchill_640.jpg (20KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
090814_kelly_churchill_640.jpg
20KB, 640x360px
>>33919578
>@33919411
>>
>>33920927
he's using a particular form or cause of ptsd and good and evil as an analogy. extreme leftists are in a state of cultural ptsd right now. his point is that these people only see society or "the patriarchy" as ultimately evil and don't see the good. just as they see themselves or their ideology as ultimately good and can't see the evil.
>>
>>33920951

>Why do we

We don't, it's just Peterson. He's a dualist, and in extremely early psychology you could get away with this. However now that we have a much more refined model of the human brain and how biology, genetics, epigenetics, chemicals, etc. all play a role in what happens to the body/in the body/etc. we can put this concept to bed. And it was put to bed even before we had computers thank to Phineas taking a spike to the head. The consensus however just hadn't been supported at that point due to a lack of scientific advancement and replicated results. Now though we've done a ton of tests and surgeries to show - hey, that whole good and evil thing? Yeah, it doesn't exist. It's a social construct, and not the fucking SJW coopted definition, but the actual one. Morales are socially designed, triggers (again, the actual defined term, not the bullshit psychobabble tumblrinas create) are not. They are real and they impact people in different ways.
>>
>>33919578
>@33919411
Where did you come from, and how did you get here?
>>
>>33920977
>extreme leftists are in a state of cultural ptsd right now
>cultural ptsd
So we're abusing the phrase to the point where this is a genuine term these days? PTSD means nothing anymore, does it?
>>
Isnt ptsd basically realizing how fragile you are and that any second you can end up like the guy that you just saw get blown to bits, its not really seeing fucked up shit its more about "that could have been me"
>>
>>33919411
The white millennial gibs
>>
>>33920994
>>
>>33920977

So it has nothing to do with actual PTSD whatsoever, great. Stop memeing with Peterson and go back to /pol/. At least /his/ has Stirner and Voltaire.
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 302x167px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 302x167px
>>33919578
>/k/ is about gear.

Wrong. /gq/ is about gear. You're fired get out of my face. /k/ is more than the sum of its rules and thank god for that because otherwise this place would be full of spergs talking about katanas.

>>33919411
Good podcast, recommended. Also the Shirley Manson episode is entertaining. (I love you shirleyyyyyy)

I think Peterson is correct in the hypotheticals he mentioned. Ie, PTSD caused by trauma to the self by causing and witnessing tremendous violence. This is not the cause of ALL PTSD, of course, or even all combat PTSD. But in those cases where an individual is traumatized by their own capacity for what they might call evil, an understanding of "evil" as part of their human self can only help I think.

/thread
>>
I'm getting a little tired of shilling for alberto dragonslayer barbosa roomcleaner.
>>
>>33921001
no I literally just made it up to try to communicate with you
>>
File: AP373040472755-620x620.jpg (63KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
AP373040472755-620x620.jpg
63KB, 620x620px
>>33920994
I think he's from twitter or facebook. I've been here a while and I've never seen anyone here do this. I know I'm going way out on a limb here but it may be a girl or someone who is transitioning.
>>
>>33920935
Have dealt with understand one's evil side while battling PTSD. To paraphrase JBP response:

Some people have gone into battle without knowing their evil side, and when they encounter that admits the fighting, they are unable to grasp what they have done, thus educing PTSD. I'm asking if this has been the experience of anyone here.

>>33920951
I'm doing it because he believes that's a major factor in this topic. (though I do believe in both, being a Christian).

>>33920927 I understand that you can get it elsewhere, but he is specifically taking about fighting, brutality of war.
>>
>>33921043

He's still wrong.

Vietnam and the ME have shown that you can very easily develop PTSD without ever being exposed to direct combat. I will put aside WW1 as an example of this because of the monstrously high attrition rate and how pretty much everyone saw direct combat as a result of trench warfare. Now though you can get PTSD just by sitting behind the wire long enough, or by driving through enough roads where literally nothing ever happens to you.

If the concept of brutality, or the scope of it, it was required to induce PTSD then why the fuck aren't Attack Helicopter/Drone/Bomber Crews/Pilots in general the most susceptible to PTSD? They do an inordinate amount of killing with the most horrific weapons we have yet designed. And yet they just laugh, write graffiti about sand people on the bombs, and send them off. He's wrong, that's all there is to it.
>>
>>33921043
>I'm asking if this has been the experience of anyone here.

I'll speak for my friend who was crushed by a petroleum well head when he was 17. seeing the machinery come down on him, raising his arm up to stop it, being completely unable to do anything but wait to die, watching his body get crushed and seeing his guts spill out from his skin - it completely destroyed his brain. he's quite literally brain damaged. his mental and emotional state is stuck in his childhood before the accident happened. he developed the belief that life is meaningless and became an alcoholic because he doesn't care about his health, his family or his future. he is permanently stunned by his mortality and frailty. he gets drunk and lifts his hand in front of his face and stares at it in astonishment and terror.
>>
>>33919578
>@
Thank you for your cervix
>>
>>33919578
Muh swords!
>>
File: IMG_20170509_175740.jpg (37KB, 682x625px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170509_175740.jpg
37KB, 682x625px
>>33921095
They understand the evil they are capable of, the others are faking for va Benny's
>>
>>33919411
PTSD is caused from abnormal stress. That's why you get it from individuals under mid-high level continuous stress (soldiers and other individuals in combat zones) as well as from singular extreme stress incidents (unexpected sudden injury/disease/death). It's got nothing to do with morality, but rather with stress response.
>>
>>33921095
People that sit behind the wire and do nothing can claim PTSD and get disability for it, that doesn't mean they have it. The system for dealing with mental health claims in the military and in the VA is completely inept and designed to err on the side of accepting PTSD claims.
>>
>>33919411
got my dumb ass smashed between 2 cars by a jackknifing semi, trapped underneath, bleeding out from my legs.

Spent a month in the hospital the first time due to crush injuries, skin grafts, broken femur etc. Multiple surgeries afterwards.

This was in 1997: Still, I can watch/hear my wife walking into the room, I jump out of my skin, I'll just start welling up out of the blue for no reason, I cannot walk/drive near a large truck.

But the worst part is that any of those triggers are not 100%. (except for the truck thing). Everything is a minefield. You start seeing the event in microscopic detail, you can play it out in your mind's eye, zooming in, out, wide angle, drone view, slo-mo... every cinematic trick you can think of.

Too late for me, but I've heard that beta blockers administered right after an incident is a very promising treatment.
>>
>>33921838
You should get one of those PTSD helper dogs and have it drive for you.
>>
>>33920701
Sort yourself out.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.