[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would jeagers be a powerful tool for power projection?Say if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 17

File: gipsy danger.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
gipsy danger.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
Would jeagers be a powerful tool for power projection?Say if the US had Gipsy Danger out of nowhere could it be used to shift interenational policy and be a powerful war machine?How would you react if Jeagers were real?
>>
>>33917295
most men would be too busy living a mech pilot fantasy to fight
>>
>>33917295
No it's a retarded idea. Hell even in the movie the concept was retarded (but cool)
>>
>>33917303
just create a ring of attack submarines around the portal and shoot the fuckers while they are exiting.
the scenario says the jeager is already built out of nowhere.
>>
>>33917295
Never understood why the movie was so retarded. In the beginning they said that their hanger once stored like 20 Jaegers, so why did they send them out to fight one at a time? Why not just fight 20 vs 1 Kaiju all the time?
>>
>>33917330
... I suppose it would be like that anime that's REALLY SIMILAR to Pacific Rim, where they have the fourteen year old kids piloting them. Maybe the Jeagers are like that big ass sniper rifle they shoot at the one shaped like a diamond where just one shot required a national power outage to power the rifle, so they can only power two or so at a time? I don't know.
>>
>>33917330
plot reasons

also i think they said they used to until they got good at it and only needed 1 for 1 but by then the other countries economies were in shambles
>>
>>33917341
did you mean neon genesis evangelion
>>
File: 1481744843421.jpg (57KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481744843421.jpg
57KB, 850x400px
>>33917295
NO, ALL mechs are stupid and idiotic.

Is it meant to be an assualt artillery? Stupid, jeeps can drive faster especially up mountainous terrain and they're more accurate unlike a mech which could position itself for better trajectory.

Is meant for transportation? Still stupid. Wait it's not for combat? Well it"s a mech so it's stupid.

Mechs are stupid just like horses which weigh too much and get stuck in mud, not viable in combat. Horse armour? Give me a break.

Mechs
Are
Stupid

Trust me, I have a mechanical engineering degree.
>>
>>33917330
If I recall correctly, at te time when they had tons of jaegers the kaiju were not very difficult to take down. I wasn't until the few years before the movie that they got really dangerous, and most of the jaegers that used to be around were already destroyed or no longer had pilots. It seems for the most part they lost most of the jaegers from being outdated, damaged or lost pilots before ganging up on the kaiju was really necessary.
>>
>>33917357
Couldnt a heavy truck with a recoilless rifle be enough to kill a mech?
>>
>>33917420
Couldn't a heavy recoilles rifle kill a truck?
>>
>>33917295
>powerful tool for power projection?
>Slow giant
fucking goofy.
>>
>>33917357
Yep I agree, stupid as fuck but people live the fantasy of the giant humanoid robot.

And I mean, the human body is actually one of the worst in the entire animal realm... If really have to build a war machine, I bet that the best shapes came from the bugs world.
>>
>>33917456
Couldn't a heavy mech with a recoilless truck kill a rifle?
>>
>>33917350
No it's full metal trigun bepop
>>
>>33917313

>Its another episode of "/k/ didnt understand the movie"
>>
>>33917295
their punch is about the same energy as a single shot from a 16" naval gun. range is extremely limited. it's retarded crap.
>>
>>33917582
>the human body is actually one of the worst in the entire animal realm...
thats plain ass wrong dude.
>>
>>33917330
>>33917341
>>33917369

Are you fucking retarded?

The reason why they had Jaegers in different spots and were mostly 1v1s (in the early encounters), is because the Portal was in the middle of the Pacific ocean. The Kaiju would breach the portal and the start moving to a random place along the ring of fire at incredible speeds.

So if you have all your Jaegers at lets say "LA", how are you gonna get a Jaeger to Australia in time?

Thats the entire point of different Jaegers in different countries.

It always amuses me how the retards call films "retarded", simply because they didnt understand a basic concept in a silly blockbuster monster-flick.
>>
>>33917718
Couldn't a recoiless mech truck with a rifle kill a Heavy?
>>
>>33917295
explain to me how it would shrugg off a bunker buster bomb that is 1/5000 the price.
>>
>>33917881

Because they nuked the first kaiju that breached twice and it still kept going.
>>
>>33917916
if something can keep going after a nuke, sure as hell some robot will not do a thing to it.
>>
File: ASM.webm (541KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ASM.webm
541KB, 1280x720px
>>33917295
>How would you react if Jeagers were real?
>>
Yesterday everyone made fun of my skunk in a punji trap thread but for some reason this thread is ok?

This is about as summer as it gets
>>
>>33917295
>How would you react if Jeagers were real?

By spending a lot of time on LiveLeak watching faggots in expensive bipedal tanks getting BTFOd by various relatively inexpensive explosives of the variety that sandfags are known for.
>>
>>33917838
This, the human body is set up amazing for what we do. We just dont have the tech to make bipedal robots function like up yet. That's the problem
>>
>>33917838
It's not, though. The only things we have going for us are our brains and our opposable thumbs, and you likely don't need thumbs on your mech because your guns will be integrated into the platform.
>>
>>33918851
And the fact that bipedal posture makes our lungs perfectly set up for long distance running and other endurance heavy activities. Just because you smear your sorry carcass with cheese residue and bolted on 90lbs of man tits doesn't mean the human body is inefficienctly designed
>>
>>33917881
>its a /k/ uses price as a argument episode

reminder grenades are the be all end all chepest weapon avalable thus making them the only practical weapons and everything else is useless because it costs more
>>
>>33918851
>The only things we have going for us are our brains and our opposable thumbs
and that we can run any animal into the dirt if it's hot enough. and that we can just stomp or strangle the crap out of 99% of the animals on earth barehanded. or that we can set traps and coordinate a hunt a hundred times better and in more complex way than any predator or maybe that the energy efficiency and combined endurance and speed of the human body on an obstacle course is 10 times better than any apes.

the human body is in many ways the pinnacle of evolution. our brains are the biggest weapons but the body alone is amazing in energy efficiency fine motor movements and cooling. we also have the most efficient jaws with incredible bite strength to the size of the muscles involved.
>>
File: Ookak Gooka think anon is silly.jpg (29KB, 280x390px) Image search: [Google]
Ookak Gooka think anon is silly.jpg
29KB, 280x390px
>>33917582
>the human body is actually one of the worst in the entire animal realm...

Except that's really wrong. We have ideal brains to body ratio, opposable thumbs, highly flexible limbs, various range of motions, and capable of long distance running. We don't have fur, but we have endurance.

Mr.Gobblyigook in Africa can't run at the same speed as an antelope, but he sure as shit can run it till the fucker has heat exhaustion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

Also strange hold. Anything that isn't too large for our arms can be choked out. Not that I suggest that lest you want a hurting.
>>
>>33919415
So those faggots who spam grenades in multiplayer were right all along...
>really almonds my activates
>>
File: smug shrug.gif (2MB, 1080x495px) Image search: [Google]
smug shrug.gif
2MB, 1080x495px
>>33917295
Oh yay. It's a gundam thread without anything cool.
>>
>>33917295
are you sure this isnt a picture of the Fox NFL robot Cleatus
>>
>>33919463
nothing better than getting a multikill with a well thrown nade
>>
File: german_war_walkers.jpg (520KB, 1463x934px) Image search: [Google]
german_war_walkers.jpg
520KB, 1463x934px
>>33918851
And bipedal walking that lets us exhaust any animal on the planet.
Guaranteed infection from bite.
Decent swimmers/climbers/runners all around
One of the best hearts in the animal kingdom.
Plus size and relitively adaptable digestive system

Humans are pretty gud at surviving
>>
>>33919482

Giant robot football would be a way better investment than giant robot warfare.
>>
File: US-carrier-group.jpg (367KB, 1600x1071px) Image search: [Google]
US-carrier-group.jpg
367KB, 1600x1071px
>>33917295
A towering jaeger/mech wouldn't have any real force projection, unless you could make it fly anywhere in the world you needed. I suppose it could WALK across the ocean, or be sailed on a big custom delivery ship, but whatever.

It could be practical as a psychological weapon of occupation: in Afghanistan, for example. A towering jaeger, assuming it's immune to rockets, could "stand" over towns and provinces and make rebels reconsider acting up. It could go and stomp-out rebel encampments, maybe.

BUT...as a force-projection, it fails because it's not terribly mobile, and its firepower/glowing sword power is limited to the immediate area. By comparison, imagine an aircraft carrier, and draw a 250 mile radius around it. Now move that carrier all around a world map and all around the Persian gulf, and all around the Mediterranean and you have an idea of how modern military power projection works. Nobody wants to be within that 250 mile radius if it means American aircraft are going to be blowing up all your everything.

It's the kind of threat that makes all of your ministers and generals reconsider putting YOU in power when the American ambassador is being so ...nice.
>>
>>33917350
anon clearly meant Ye olde thanatos melangelion
>>
>>33917582
>>33917838
>>33919454
>>33919461
>>33919487
anon saying human body is one of the worst is kinda right.

The human body, in nature, is one of the best, because it's features, along with a developed brain have made us dominant of our planet and shit. The problem is when you apply it to robotics in battle, which is the case we are discussing now.

Bipedal is not functional in this case, some argue that bipedal makes us outrun an animal that gets tired over time, machines do not get tired, bipedal in this case only means "2 weakspots that will result in critical mobility loss if only one gets a good ammount of damage"

i havent seen the movie though so i dont know how they solve this with their hollywood magic science.
>>
>>33919684
if you make humanoid robots they would fight similarly to humans only use small hills or buildings as cover only exposing their sensor array (head) and gun to enemy fire. using 105mm high pressure assault rifles with 200 rpm and shoulder fired missiles (similarly to modern rpgs only anti-ship missile sized) they could wreck quiet a havoc.
>>
>>33917842
Just build your base around the portal you autist. Every time a Kaiju comes out have 20 Jaegers jump him like chimps attacking a white man at a BLM rally. No damage to the Jaegers when every Kaiju is getting merc'd in 30 seconds.
>>
>>33919898
Great idea. Lets throw the mechs into the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Nothing could go wrong with that idea
>>
>>33919938
They did that shit in half the battles in the movie anyway. All mechs are going to require maintenance regardless, just hire more people to do it then. For something that determines the world's fate, you can afford to spend more.
>>
File: Mazinger_punch_8493.jpg (57KB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
Mazinger_punch_8493.jpg
57KB, 350x197px
>>33917295
Anon pls
Pacific Rim is Mazinger Z crossed with Mexican wrestling. Like the super robot anime that inspired it, it's not supposed to be that realistic.
>>
File: 1408246017287.jpg (512KB, 1000x1412px) Image search: [Google]
1408246017287.jpg
512KB, 1000x1412px
>>33917330
one cat 3 kaiju eat jaegers by the dozens.
they are also very hard to move around, those jaegers, and they take forever to maintain and to repair
having 20 jaegers in bay don't mean you have 20 jaegers ready to drop
also consider that, when the cat 4 kaiju begun to appear, most jaegers they had were at best MkII... Mk III were brand new and the first and only MkIV was fresh off the factory in trial-base.
>>
>>33919972
No you fucking autist. They'll sink to the bottom of the ocean. All the fights took place in relatively shallow areas.
>>
>>33917982
each punch Gypsy delivers has the same energy of a Hiroshima bomb.
and Gypsy wasnt even the heaviest hitter of the jaegers.
>>
>>33918012
>skunk in a punji trap
of course everyone made fun of you, did you read that aloud once?
>>
>>33917295
Gipsy Danger is cool as fuck, but would be next to useless for power projection against countries. Sure, you can't stop it with an RPG7, but fire a few guided missiles into it's knees and it's done.
>>
>>33920009
>relatively shallow areas
>literally right at the portal at the deepest point of the Marianas Trench, the deepest trench in the world
>what is maintenance

NGE literally did an episode where they developed special equipment for their robots, just to withstand high pressure. Since the Jaegers can already withstand the pressure, they'd only need special equipment for mobility. Additional extraction craft could pick them up after the battles are won.
>>
>>33917313
>just create a ring of attack submarines around the portal and shoot the fuckers while they are exiting.

Yeah, cz you appearantly didn't see the first 5 minutes of the film where it was said that Kaiju blood is fucking toxic to everyone and everything.

That was the 2nd reason they chose to build the Jaegers, 1, was to avoid having to nuke every Kaiju that comes out and 2, the Jaeger's fists could kill a Kaiju without spilling too much of it's toxic blood.
>>
File: Best Mom.png (318KB, 708x540px) Image search: [Google]
Best Mom.png
318KB, 708x540px
>>33920078
>NGE
>Robots
Are we memeing now?
>>
>>33920020
Jesus Christ.
This is pure autism.
>>
>>33920078
>literally right at the portal at the deepest point of the Marianas Trench, the deepest trench in the world
A one way trip.
All it takes is one kaiju to slip past and none of the jaegers can catch up to them.
>>
>>33920020
They could hit hard and had staying power, they were meant to fight the kaiju and keep them pinned to an area since we couldn't just 1 hit them with anything and they would just go from city to city while planes and artillery hit them otherwise we needed something to fight them, exhaust them, and when they make an opening kill them. Seems why the jaegers we're a solution.
>>
>>33920097
actually was math
I am not even shitting you, sonny
>>
>>33920109
do we even have attack subs taht can go deep the marianas?
I think not.
kaijus would swim under them and escape
>>
>>33920109
Build base above Marianas Trench for quick deployment. Have all Jaegars wait at the top of the trench. It's been shown multiple times that the Shatterdome, along with the Jaegers, have methods of tracking the "Kaiju signature" so it wouldn't be a problem.

>A one way trip

Nigga can you read? Did you miss the part about extraction craft?
>>
>>33920020
by my calculations not even close, they are about as much as a 16" shell (sans explosives)
>>
>>33920088
>cz
Are you referring to me? Cuz you aren't quoting me bud
>>
>>33920189
go talk to the people of the wiki page
>>
>>33920088
>the Jaeger's fists could kill a Kaiju without spilling too much of it's toxic blood

Yeah I guess that's why they also built a fucking sword for Gipsy and two swords for Striker huh.
>>
>>33918012
>waaah your retarded thread is more retarded than my retarded thread waaah summer waaah
and you ignored everyone making fun of giant robots in this thread to you laughable blind dumbass clown
>>
>>33917295
Make a ring of those cannons Striker used to waste every Kaiju it hit around the breach.

Spend all the money you save on deep water kaiju blue containment and purification.

There is literally no better answer then this.
>>
>>33917295
the story justifies Jeagers by basically saying "every other method doesn't work, fuck you"
also complaining about realism in a movie about giant robot fighting monsters is really stupid
>gee nobody can cum that much this hentai shit is stupid boner ruined
>you telling me nobody heard them fucking in that gym storage room this is some bullshit
>>
>>33920225
it's based on the movie, speed and weight of the robot arm. a nuke would fucking obliterate the city with kaiju and robot a hundred times over. totally different magnitudes of energy.
>>
File: 1491927640938.png (27KB, 741x609px) Image search: [Google]
1491927640938.png
27KB, 741x609px
>>33920355
>Make a ring of cannons to use on monsters that a nuke has little effect on
>>
>>33920449
>A cannon of a jäger. That it uses frequently.
>Take cannon off and use it for coastal defence
>HURR DURR NUKES DIDNT WORK WHY WOULD THE CANNON.

Jesus Christ, this is a level of retardation liberals could only hope to achieve.
>>
>>33920449
we must assume the nukes didn't had an effect because they didn't hit as the monsters approached underwater and they couldn't nuke the cities once they were in. a nuke would fucking wipe out any living organism and most non living things for that matter.

underwater nuke explosions are quiet underwhelming tho.
>>
>>33920449
>what is penetration for $400 Alex?
>>
>>33920440
btw officially the gd was 88 meters tall and 7k tonnes in weight (which means a lower density than an upscaled human would have) that puts the arms between 300-400 tonnes in weight, and the speed it punched with was about the speed of lazy city traffic.

the energy coming out of that is not especially impressive. 330 MJ to the 400MJ of a 16" cannons muzzle energy at the lower thresholds.
>>
>>33918012
>Impaled by bamboo spikes covered in shit
>Oh no I smell like skunk spray too

What's the fucking point?
>>
>>33919544
>I suppose it could WALK across the ocean

They walked halfway across the bottom of the pacific in a few hours in the movie. Somehow.

>>33919684
>some argue that bipedal makes us outrun an animal that gets tired over time

That's helped along a lot by our insanely good* cooling system.

*As long as we have enough water to drink. It kinda helps kill us otherwise.
>>
>>33920020
>a Hiroshima bomb
So really kind of pathetic on the scale of nuclear weapons...
>>
I'd react with like 3 missiles aimed at its knees and head desu
>>
File: Sedan_Plowshare_Crater.jpg (202KB, 1426x1132px) Image search: [Google]
Sedan_Plowshare_Crater.jpg
202KB, 1426x1132px
>>33920476
A cannon that was used on small Kaiju, not the gigantic catagory that just ended up coming out of the portal.
>>33920571
>Implying a nuke doesn't have penetration
>>
>>33920687
say that to the people who turn into graffiti
>>
>>33920687
don't feed the troll he has no idea 63TJ of a tiny nuke compared to a couple of hundreds of MJs we are talking about here tops. it's not even on the same scale.
>>
>>33920799
in fact if you dropped gipsy danger the entire thing on a kaijus head it would only attain 283,5 GJ at terminal velocity. that's not even a silent fart as far as nukes are concerned.
>>
File: VRHfy96.jpg (554KB, 1280x900px) Image search: [Google]
VRHfy96.jpg
554KB, 1280x900px
>>33917295
>>
File: 1338539464406.png (32KB, 660x519px) Image search: [Google]
1338539464406.png
32KB, 660x519px
>>33917357
You're stuck into the "mecha are slow walking tanks" meme.

There is no reason it can't be agile and flexible, no reason it can't hull down or dig its own earthworks, no reason it can't step between trees in a forest.

Even in Battletech 'Mechs are athletic enough to jump, climb, wrestle and strike.
>>
File: 1488841765130.jpg (22KB, 500x408px) Image search: [Google]
1488841765130.jpg
22KB, 500x408px
>>33920020
What the fuck are you smoking?
>>
>>33919544
tanks don't self deploy, the best they had were amphibious tanks with only a few dozen nautical miles range at best or tanks that can be air dropped and the crew needed to be airdropped separately and de-rig and mount the tank before it was usable.
>>
>>33919684
>tank only has 2 tracks
>blow off one track and it can't move
>blow off one drive wheel and it can't move
tans are worthless amirite?

Get better reasons.
>>
>>33922904
>Blow off one track and it can't move
>Still a fully combat effective pill box

>Blow off mech leg
>Face down in the dirt and freshly fucked
Get better excuses
>>
I thought the movie made it a point that the only reason humans made the jaegers and weren't killing each other the whole time was due to the massive existential threat? Like, as a whole the things were too expensive to waste on human killing?
>>
>>33917330
Giant robots I can stand, it's cool
But why in the ever loving FUCK did they just randomly pull a sword out of their ass halfway through the movie right when they're about to get btfo?
And it instantly wins! Did they just forget about it the entire time before that?
>>
>>33923001
actually tanks become deathtraps without infantry support

but pretty much everything is a deathtrap without friendly support.

>airplane
>shoot the wing
>it crashes
>giant fucking engine
>shoot the engine and it dies
lol airplanes suck
>>
>>33919415

Do grenades do everything a rifle does but cheaper? No.

Please, kill yourself.
>>
>>33923360
In-universe the reason is because they don't want to spill kaiju blood everywhere if they don't have to.

Out of universe the reason is because the fights in Pacific Rim are giant versions of Lucha libre fights.
Mazinger Z too
https://youtu.be/SyRoF689VRE?t=39s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuZPIc8nSk
>>
File: image.png (212KB, 1240x930px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
212KB, 1240x930px
>>33923366
>>shoot the wing
>>it crashes
The Jews laugh at your incompetence
>>
>>33919536
Then best ideal in this whole thread
>>
>>33917295
does it have the same destructive power in the same timefame as a nuke?

>no
there's your answer.
>>
>>33923821
what if the robot IS a nuke
really makes you think, doesn't it?
>>
>>33920178
>build a base
>above the deepest place on the planet

Great, so now Kaiju can take on the same gang attack method and wreck all your specially built shit all at once.

Kaiju learn and evolve. That is the biggest thing to counter. That is why they became more powerful with every encounter, they learn. The second time that two pop out and get gang raped, there would be 20 at once.
>>
>>33917295
the idea is pointless, its like using a battleship in modern naval combat. A bad idea.
>>
>>33923942
If 20 Jaegers had been jumping the Kaiju like niggers from the beginning, their casualties would have been low to non-existent. Humankind had been losing because of those casualties, which is why they recommissioned Gipsy Danger in the first place -- they had been running out of mechs. Now, imagine if they didn't have those casualties and the Coastal Wall project had its funds funneled into making more mechs. It wouldn't just be 20 Jaegers anymore, they'd have hundreds. Yes, eventually they'd get beat by the increasing amount of Kaiju, but they should have had the Jaegers gang rape the Kaiju for the entire time leading up to it. But they literally had 1v1 fights during their entire history. Had they been using nigger tactics, they wouldn't have been getting beat so hard.
>>
>>33924068
unfortunately this, even tho i'd love to seem them big guns fire one more time.
>>
>>33920235
They completely forgot about it until it became necessary to pull it out. Which would be a fair enough explanation of why they didn't bother activating it from the start.

The real question is what's the difference between using the sword and the plasma gun? The latter seemed to spill quite a bit of blood, though perhaps it can be assumed that it would cauterize the wound and prevent further bleeding beyond the initial splatter.
>>
>>33919415
>outside of throwing range...
>>
File: 1490406430730.jpg (623KB, 918x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1490406430730.jpg
623KB, 918x1260px
>>33919475
>GunDumb
>retarded autistic robots so retarded that their power source would render them inoperable.
>Evangelion.
>the literal source of life on this planet and whose armor is only to keep them from ripping your soul out.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.