[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gunsmithing tools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: asdf.png (151KB, 290x378px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
151KB, 290x378px
I'm trying to get some basic gunsmithing tools. What would /k/ recommend? Please try not to break the bank, am poorfag
>>
>>33913533
building or repairing?
>>
>>33913569
Both. Apartment dweller, so reloading and a proper vice is tough, but like my ar, I want to build up tools a bit at a time
>>
>>33913533
Get a Wheeler screwdriver set first, then some brass punches and a small ball peen hammer, then after that you can move on to to more specialized stuff.

Get a decent gun rest if you haven't already got one.
>>
vice
set of roll pin punches
proper set of screwdrivers
Assorted box of springs
calipers
micrometer
various headspacing tools
Medium, fine, ultrafine polishing stones
a polishing wheel and polishing compounds

thats about the bare minimum to start with.

brownells complete gun blueing system comes with tanks/stands/burners/chemicals

for the 1000 or so bucks, you can basically make a fortune re-blueing guns if you dont suck at it. Also its dangerous and smelly and you need proper ventillation. In the grand scheme, Its the best way to start making money from your hobby business right off the rip.
>>
>>33913533
Torque wrench for sure.
This will also be useful for working on your car.
>>
>>33913533
lathe and a mill
>>
>>33913533
>I'm trying to get some basic gunsmithing tools. What would /k/ recommend? Please try not to break the bank, am poorfag

Basic: Good set of punches and screw drivers, cleaning kit

Next: Drop drill, tap and die set, honing stone, jewlers paste

Next: Bench vice, chamber reamers, kit to recrown barrels, reloading

Next: lathe, shop press, rifling button pusher, mig welder, spring jig

Additionals

Ball mill, puck former, aluminium rors in scope diameters, digital calipers, headspace gauges, barrel slugging, bullet moulds, chronometer, stock duplicator, cnc machine, aluminium casting, bluing tank etc etc etc etc etc etc
>>
>>33913617
>>33913681
Any specific brands?
>>
>>33913695
For digital calipers I use Mitutoyo, they're pricey but well worth it.
>>
Quick bump
>>
>>33913533
south park characters look like ass.
>>
>>33913533
I just buy tools as I need them for specific purposes.
>>
>>33913533
Rather than buying random tools, why don't you figure out what you want to do and buy good tools to accomplish the task? Then when you need to do the same thing again, you already have the tools. Also, what guns will you be working on?
>>
>>33913617
Also don't forget some varying sizes of ball peen hammers, those things are fucking amazing.
>>
>>33915402
I can honestly say ive never reached for a fucking ballpeen hammer in all my life when ive worked on a gun.
>>
>>33913584
>apartment
>poorfag
>let me blow all my money on a hobby I can't afford, but you know, for the bottom dollar

you real clever
>>
>>33913533
Gunsmithing is not a hobby fit for an apartment building, and it isn't cheap. This is probably not a good hobby for you to pursue at this time.
>>
haas cnc
>>
File: mfw.jpg (109KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
109KB, 413x395px
>>33916519
>haas
>>
hammer, punches (you don't need brass as long as you don't suck), AR toolset, hollow ground screwdrivers,
>>
Add a rubber mat for your workbench to it and a cheap set of small plastic boxes.
Some kind of covershoes (?) for the vice is also helpfull. Like plastic, rubber or thick leather.

Add a bit of creativity and common sense to it.
Don't be afraid to 'ruin' a good tool to make a better one. Eg. if I have to punch out a hollowed pin, I grab a plain one and a file.
>>
Dremel
>>
Build your workbench...don't buy. Not sure why no one has listed this.

>>33913695
Wheeler has some good stuff
Dewey rods for cleaning rifles
Wilton Vise is good and Yost is okay too (stay away from Harbor Freight Vise)
>>
>>33913617
>>33913633
>>33913674
>>33913681
GOD FUCKING DAMN, Everyone is going from "Basic tooling required to detail strip a gun." To "Daddy's machine shop" REAL FUCKING FAST!
>>33913533
For detail stripping and maintenance, you pretty much just need a set of punches for about $10 at the hardware store, a gunsmithing screwdriver set, a pretty basic and generalized version of which ran me $16 at a gunstore, and you need a hammer. I made mine on a lathe for a college class, so I can't comment on price, but it should be cheap. As for a VISE, well that's probably a "garage shop" type of thing. without the vise you're talking about $40 for the tools to do basic work on your stuff, if you want to go crazier, polishing stones could work, but... look, a qualified gunsmith's salary is like $22,000 a year. You're not affording too much if you do it for a hobby and don't have a large amount of disposable income.
>punches
>screwdriver set
>a couple hammers
>cleaning kits
>MAYBE a vise

Unless you're doing it professionally, I don't think you want to invest in a mill or a lathe, especially if you live in an apartment complex. Like I said, 10 to 1,000 real quick with these guys, you're looking at hundreds if not thousands for a used manual lathe or mill, and almost certainly don't have the room for it. You're DAMN SURE not spending the 20,000 or so for a Haas CNC, and further probably won't be getting the power converters and transformers and whatnot to have three phase whatever the fuck power going TO those machines. Just stick with the basics. PUNCHES, SCREWDRIVERS, HAMMERS. With those you should be able to completely disassemble any firearm save for things like barreling and unbarreling actions. Wrenches are an occasional buy if you're working on AR-15's or WANT to do such things.
>>
>>33917035
To add another thing, I haven't read yet: a set of allen wrenches.

Btw. The most expensive tool I own for gun purposes is a leatherman eod with the bit set. Works fine for smaller repairs on the range, but costs more than all other tools together, including the vice.
>>
>>33916592
not that guy, but I thought they were one of the better options for cnc milling, turning, and 4&5 axis machines?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.