[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knife sharpness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: knife.jpg (101KB, 630x500px) Image search: [Google]
knife.jpg
101KB, 630x500px
How sharp should a knife's edge and point be if it's being used for self-defence?
>>
>>33904981
edge doesnt really matter as long as the point is pointy

you stab not slash
>>
>>33904994
But how pointy is enough pointy? If it's able to punch through cardboard easily, is that enough?
>>
I sure hope you train knife fighting extensively, otherwise if the other party is even a little stronger than you, it's going to end up in your gut/breast. Since you posted a folder, I can safely assume you are just a retard. Do you know how hard you have to thrust to stab someone? What do you do if you get caught up on a rib or sternum? With that folder, or most folders, you hand will slide forward onto the blade and now you'll have a pissed off assailant and a fucked up hand. Fixed blade is for knife fighting. Folders are for packages and twine and small utilitarian purposes
>>
>>33904981
Just whack him with the handle.
>>
>>33904994
nice memes
>>
>knife
>self defense

Just don't. In a knife fight, either only one person comes out the winner or neither does. The entire point of self defense is to get away unharmed. Plus in the US each state has different knife laws and if you harm someone with a knife even in self defense you're still going to be charged.

If you can't own a gun or don't want to, get Fox brand pepper spray.
>>
>>33904981
Same rule as a kitchen knife. Sharp Knife is a safe knife. If you feel is not sharp enough to feel safe, sharpen a bit more.
>>
Try cutting yourself, if it leaves a deep cut it's sharp enough. If not sharpen it and test again
>>
My benchmark is a tomato. If it can cut a tomato, without knicking the skin or other cheaty method, then it's good enough

Stab wise, as long as it has a point it's good to go, even
>>
>>33905940
>Sharp Knife is a safe knife.

Same with size. Bigger means better grip, more cutting surface, and requires less force.
>>
>>33904981
Do you treat your knives with poison?
If not, you are not in any position to defend yourself
Nice bait post kid, sharpness doesn't matter if you are skilled. In fact it will only slow you down
(Current Navy Seal so trust me on this)
>>
>>33908576
this is a good point actually.
>>
>>33904994
Easier to land a slash than a stab. Particularly if you are fighting largo and targeting hands/arms.
A defensive blade should be razor sharp and not used for tasks. Carry a second knife with utility edge for everyday tasks.
>>
>>33905927
Odds of knife to knife are slim. Most blade defense is multiple unarmed assailants.
Moreover, blade knowledge is good to have even if you don't carry, because they are everywhere.
>>
>>33905135
>But how pointy is enough pointy? If it's able to punch through cardboard easily, is that enough?

Giggling

>>33905155
>I sure hope you train knife fighting extensively, otherwise if the other party is even a little stronger than you, it's going to end up in your gut/breast.

And here's Rambo who has never killed anything

>>33907993
>My benchmark is a tomato.

Surreal

>>33908661
>Easier to land a slash than a stab. Particularly if you are fighting largo and targeting hands/arms.

Bruce lee never died. He's here right now.

All humans know how to kill with a knife. An adrenaline fuelled panic stricken frenzy of stabbing. That's all. No trainging or ninja or anything other needed than a pointy thing that is long enough like a screwdriver or sharp spike.

And an attorney an someone to visit you in prison
>>
>>33908576
this
OP, you have no point defending yourself with a blade if you haven't treated it
>>
>>33908576
>(Current Navy Seal so trust me on this)

Are you superninja seal?

Do you have jet boots?
>>
>>33908695
>Panic stricken frenzy
Is that how you defend yourself with a gun? A knife is a weapon too, and can be used properly. All humans can pull a trigger, but there is a difference between a trained shooter and, well, you.
>>
>>33904981
your knife should be sharp enough for you to run.
as a last ditch effort, a knife is better than nothing, but running is better than trying to get close enough to stab someone who's trying to assault you
>>
>>33904981
>point
Just to be clear, you point a knife with the tip.
>>
>>33909097
That's true with any weapon. You have a duty to retreat if you can, before you start killing.
>>
>>33908695
>All humans know how to kill with a knife. An adrenaline fuelled panic stricken frenzy of stabbing.

This is generally true but knowing where to stick it can make sure you're not only successful at putting them down but more likely to do so in a timely manner. See pic related

>>33910751
>duty to retreat

What are you, a communist?
>>
>>33911970
Picked myself a big bouquet of whoopie daisies and forgot the pic
>>
>>33911978
>implying those times are accurate
>>
>>33911994
>shitposting
>>
>>33912049
>is actually shit posting
>accuses others of shit posting

Take an A&P class sometime champ
>>
File: 1491432391538m.jpg (105KB, 1024x654px) Image search: [Google]
1491432391538m.jpg
105KB, 1024x654px
Stilettos are best for this
>>
>>33912049
he's right tho, there's no way any knife wound is causing loss of consciousness in 0-2 seconds.
>>
>>33904981
does not matter at all
as long as it's KIND OF sharp, and KIND OF pointy
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.